Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall?

Author
jayday78
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2008/06/12 23:47:17 (permalink)

Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall?

There used to be a food court restaurant called Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall upstairs and in the corner. Does anyone remember it? They had the best fried chicken on a stick. What I would give to eat one of those again! I wonder if a recipe exists for it somewhere.

12 Replies Related Threads

Grinnygog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/09/02 12:47:18 (permalink)
    YES YES YES!!! I've looked for info for years on that place, but found nothing. I used to love their Chicken on a Stick - I think I only had it a handful of times. There was a Chick-fil-a also in the Dayton Mall mezzanine. Didn't they have chicken on a stick too - or did they pick it up after Charlie Chan's closed? They are still in business around the country, but do not have chicken on a stick.

I thought Charlie Chan's was a chain - but it seems only you and I have mentioned it on the internet & both of us had it at the Dayton Mall. I spent my summers in Dayton with my aunt & the Dayton Mall was my paradise growing up!!! The mezzanine with all the cool restaurants we didn't have in Michigan, Camelot Music store that was SOOOO much better than any stores in Michigan, the pet stores, the glass elevator........what happy childhood memories.

How do you remember the chicken on a stick tasting? It seems to me that the first time I tried Burger King's chicken tenders, they reminded me of Charlie Chan's. The chicken on a stick was crisper and less floury, but the taste in my remembrance was similar.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/09/04 02:51:57 (permalink)
    I have lived in Dayton since 1995. When was this restaurant in operation? I don't remember it at all.
    TavernWenchBlog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/10/20 02:48:58 (permalink)
    Was just thinking of Charlie Chan's today!

I remember it well. Upper level, food court. I was working across the street from the Dayton Mall, and would go there on my lunch break. I loved the chicken-on-a-stick, on a bed of fried rice! Delicious, and probably horribly awful for me.

I remember Charlie Chan as being one of those mall-food chain restaurants, but the only other one I ever saw was in Los Angeles, sometime in the late 1980's.
    phillytim
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/10/20 10:54:15 (permalink)
    We had a Charlie Chan's here in the Lycoming Mall in Muncy, PA, back in the 80s.

I had a thread up asking if anyone remembered it, but there was very little response.

You just can't seem to find anything about this chain up on the Internet. Hopefully someday someone has something to put up to rekindle the memories of this yummy chain.

And yes, their chicken on a stick may be unmatched by anything to this day!
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/10/20 11:50:13 (permalink)
    We've still got a couple here in western WA (Tacoma area) but I'm not sure it's the same Charlie Chan's. Moderately priced food, good karaoke, strong and generous drinks.
    DavidEMartin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2008/11/14 09:40:12 (permalink)
    Hmm, I have dim memories of eating at Charlie Chans in various malls. Fast food Chinese places were still rare so this was a nice change of pace.
    jayday78
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2009/05/16 04:11:57 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  If I remember correctly too the signs were in red and yellow. 

45013, I think the Charlie Chan's was gone from the Dayton Mall by 1995.  I seem to remember my last memory of the place was probably the early 1990s. 

I remember the chicken on the stick probably being a cornstarch based batter with some nice pepper.  The chicken and batter had a yellowish tinge...maybe turmeric?

From my early memories of the Dayton Mall from the early 80s, they had an ice cream store (the logo had a face-like thing) across from Shillito-Rikes, some kind of family restaurant kind of on the right of the former main entrance.  The mid 80s had a Cassano's and Burger and Works Co upstairs.  I really miss the popcorn and corndog stores that used to be at the Sears (I think it was the Sears end) end of the mall.
    phillytim
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2013/03/07 09:54:13 (permalink)
    Would anyone happen to have any pictures of Charlie Chan's, or know of any online?  
    Would be awesome to see our memories of this great chain!

I was able to find from Google (St. Petersburg Times, Dec. 27, 1980) tho!  
    post edited by phillytim - 2013/03/07 10:19:20
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2013/03/11 17:29:44 (permalink)
    We had a Charlie Chan's in our of our local shopping malls in the suburbs of Kansas City during the 1980's.  They later changed their name to Chan Chan's (either because the chain went out of business or there was some copyright issue with using the Charlie Chan name).
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    RE: Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2013/03/22 19:45:52 (permalink)
    Wow, when I used to visit Cincinnati when I was really young I remember there was one in a nearby mall, but I honestly couldn't tell you which mall or what I ate there. I couldn't have been more than eight years old, but the name definitely rings a bell.

That would've been in the early 1980s.
    SweetK
    Junior Burger
    Re:Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2013/05/14 10:35:31 (permalink)
    I periodically think about this place and why they closed.  The chicken on a stick and their waffle fries
    were sooooo good! It was a little restaurant in Northland Mall in Southfield, MI.  The restaurant had yellow
    benches and they were not that big.  I would love to get the recipe.
    Ryanemily2
    Junior Burger
    Re:Anyone remember Charlie Chan's in the Dayton Mall? 2014/06/08 14:36:14 (permalink)
    Hi There! I just joined this group, and saw you posted inquiring about Charlie Chan restaurants. I worked at Charlie Chan located in Overland Park at the Metcalf South Mall, from 1981 - 1983. It was a great job for a high school kid, and the food was awesome. I have lots of pictures of this location, as well as photos of a model replica I made of the restaurant a few years ago. If interested, feel free to join my Facebook group "We Worked At Charlie Chan's at Metcalf South", where you can see pictures of everything, including the employee manual. The owners of that franchise location, Dick and Gay Williams, are members of the group and have given lots of interesting insight into the operation of the short-lived business: the good, the bad and the ugly.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1