• Total Posts : 2625
  • Reward points : 0
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Tue, 07/8/08 1:29 PM
Getting tired holding my breath...

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Wed, 07/9/08 10:51 AM
UGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! I just spent the last two hours typing editing this post and typing up the entire last day only to have everything I wrote disappear because of this stupid F#$%#$%ing blue button in the middle of my new laptop that I am still not comfortable with!!!!

There is no way that I am going back and typing this all again tonight. I know that I am a dumbass for not typing and editing in another window and then cutting and pasting....but, I am about ready to put this machine through a window right now.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/10/08 8:16 AM
TTM-
I have had similar incidents in the past and I know how frustrating that can be. Hang in there buddy! Don't let anyone put any pressure on you and just finish it up when you can. I know the photos and commentary will be well worth it.

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/10/08 8:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I know that I am a dumbass...

That answer is.....true.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/10/08 8:26 AM
I've done that too a couple of times too- it's really frustrating.

I will probably start the Denver/Albuquerque portion of the trip sometime over the weekend, not to rush TTM as he can always finish the final day in Omaha when he is ready but because I want to complete my portion before I forget some of the finer details- In fact I may have forgotten some already

The Travelin Man
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/11/08 6:35 PM
Final day of Omaha Trip Report…Take II

This is the city. Omaha, Nebraska. We were working day watch out of the “Burgers and BBQ” division. My partner (no, not that kind of partner) is wanderingjew. My name’s The Travelin’ Man. I carry a fork.
I don't know what my latest fascination is with the campy[url='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zgIzqgxFU']Dragnet[/url] of the late sixties??

Wednesday, June 18 - Omaha, NE

As I had done previously, I opted for a few extra sleep minutes as opposed to going to the coffeehouse. Upon checking out of the hotel, we started towards lunch, which would be at a burger on the outskirts of town (actually, it is in Bellevue, which is the next town over) called Stella’s. This was the one time (I think) that we deviated from the pre-planned course on the entire trip. We found an ad for Stella’s in one of the newspapers that were given away near Rosenblatt – and it looked good, so we went for it. Sometimes, allowing a little flexibility to the plan allows for happy discoveries.

It’s not real easy to find Stella’s. The restaurant is set back from the main road, and is undergoing a bit of a face-lift, leaving them with no clear signage. Fortunately, sometimes, the nose knows.

You’ve gotta like a place where the only visible permanent sign is on a back door, with a ‘NOT AN ENTRANCE” sign above. Add in the ambiance of one of the Mohawk-clad cooks smoking a cigarette, and how could you go wrong?

One of my rules of thumb: If a place only does a handful of menu items, they probably do those few things really well.

I desperately wanted to order the fried shrimp just to tweak Dale, but opted for the bacon cheeseburger instead. Note the aforementioned Mohawk-sporting dude.

This was one fine burger. My only real complaints were the lack of availability of cheddar, which is my go-to cheese for a cheeseburger, and the penchant for the cooks to aim for the darker side of medium. Still, even with a lack of visible pink in the middle, this was a really good, juicy, flavorful burger.

Facing what could only be described as some pretty stiff competition, these may have been the best French fries of the entire trip. Note the golden color; they were also well-seasoned before they brought to the table. These fries actually tasted like potato – a less and less common occurrence, as many shopkeepers shift to pre-packaged, frozen fries.

In baseball parlance, Stella’s was nothing short of a home run. Since we couldn’t possibly have a meal without dessert, we made our way to Omaha’s Old Market area for their famed locally-produced, small-batch purveyors of ice cream, Ted and Wally’s.

Pay close attention to all of the “Best of Omaha” awards that this place displays in their windows. Another good tip for travelers seeking out their own haunts – if a place wins a local “Best of…” award, it is probably a good sign that the locals frequent this establishment, as tourists generally do not vote in these polls, often conducted by the local newspaper.

When they say “hand-made,” they mean it. I was going to ask what flavor he was working on, but in addition to the ice cream, he was also busy working on some of the local talent who had stopped by, and I didn’t want to be the guy who blocked.

I would figure that I would have to come to this place an awful lot before I made it to try their chocolate or vanilla offerings. There is just too much other good stuff. Mr Plan Ahead had already made up his mind that he was going to have the cinnamon graham cracker and placed his order. I figured I would get a few samples before making my decision, and I am pretty glad that I did.

This is the two-scoop waffle cone with butterscotch Oreo on the bottom and French toast – yes, French Freakin’ Toast – on top. I sampled them both and really did wonder if they made better one-bite samples than full scoops. I am glad that my trepidation was unwarranted…..because these were both smooth, creamy and flavorful. There is no other way to describe that French toast ice cream than to say that it tasted like the ice cream form of French toast. I was stunned it was so good. I would rate this ice cream as being better than my beloved Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory by a nose – and at about half the cost….view of the Brooklyn Bridge not included.

I think I’ve mentioned before that one of my favorite things about the College World Series is the way the entire city of Omaha embraces “their” event. These cookies were found at a convenience store/gas station just on the outskirts of the Old Market area called [url='http://www.cubbys.com/about.asp']Cubby’s[/url]. This has to be the coolest convenience store I’ve ever seen. In addition to C-store staples like sodas, beer and chips, they had full display cases of hot foods to go, and a small grocery market. The prices were more in line with a grocery store than a convenience store, too. My point about the cookies (and the CWS, in general) is that this is not a place that particularly caters to tourists – there didn’t seem to be a ton of hotels in the general vicinity. The people who live in this area use this market – and they are selling these CWS-themed cookies. I think that’s cool.

Our next stop was the Henry Doorly Zoo, which is located right next to Rosenblatt Stadium. Since it was still about five hours before the game, we scored the best parking spot in proximity to the stadium that we would ever get! In short, this zoo is fabulous. It is a worthy stop in its own right, and the [url='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Doorly_Zoo']Wiki[/url], it is Nebraska’s number one paid attraction. We had a somewhat limited amount of time, given that we had a scheduled eating stop before the game, so we strategically hit some of the zoo highlights. Our first stop was the Lied Jungle, which – in case you wanted to know - is the world’s largest indoor rainforest.

Blue monkey

OK…I am not going to bore you with an endless parade of zoo pictures. All of the ones that I have edited so far are posted on my [url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/81181002@N00/sets/72157605897566054/']flickr page[/url] (and I have a few more coming that haven’t been edited yet). However, if you will allow the indulgence of just a few, I will try to hit just the highlights.

This is kind of cool. It seems that ESPN annually films one of the teams on their “down time.” Apparently, this year, they choose to film the LSU baseball team at the zoo while we were there. This really is one of the cool things about the College World Series. The teams aren’t sequestered for the big game – they are out and about, mingling with fans and locals. You just don’t have this kind of access to the participants for the Final Four for basketball or the national championship game for NCAA football.

Scarlet macaw

King penguin

Random fish that I liked….think he tastes like chicken.

Maybe my favorite picture that I took the whole trip – Loggerhead sea turtle

After we went to the aquarium, we went to the Desert Dome, which you can see from the baseball stadium over the right field fence. This is the world’s largest indoor desert. Unfortunately, by now, my camera battery was dying – yes, I committed the cardinal sin of picture-snappers. Since this was my third visit to the zoo, I wasn’t all that disappointed, but wanderingjew probably got short-changed a little bit on getting to see the big cats, the gorilla exhibit, and some of the other outdoor stuff.

As time was getting late anyway, we went back to the hotel to pick up my battery charger and then made off to dinner at The Bohemian Café. Despite my best efforts to get a charge into the camera, it appears as though I drained it pretty well – so, all the pictures from “The Bo” will be Dale’s shots.

This was my second trip to the Bohemian, and it remains my only true experience with traditional Czech food. I guess I am still on the fence as to whether or not I like it enough to seek it out.

When I returned home, I looked back through my notes to see what I ordered and what I thought of the place the last time. I noted that I was told to order the traditional roast duckling, but instead chose the jaeger schnitzel – which is a dish of veal cutlets covered in a wine and mushroom sauce. I guess I must have liked it the last time, because that was what I chose to order again.

The meal comes plated with sweet and sauer cabbage and Czech dumplings. I could have had kraut in place of the cabbage and a choice of potato instead of the dumplings. These are not your mama’s “chicken ‘n dumplings” dumplings. These are heavyweights – lead balloons, if you will. They make a nice compliment to the veal, but this was easily one of the “heaviest” meals I’d had the entire trip. The meal was also preceded by a cup of liver dumpling soup….

For you Jews, this dumpling was what would have come out of the soup pot if Grandma used twice the matzo meal to make the matzo balls. I am pretty sure that I have used an item of less density when swinging away at the driving range. Personally, I thought that the soup was overly salty – and, again, a very heavy accompaniment to an already lead-weighted meal. I tried to get a salad instead, but was mocked by Dale for even suggesting a salad in a Czech restaurant. Fortunately, I was able to bring my core temperature down with this…

A nice, frosty ceramic mug of Pilsner Urquell, an excellent Czech-brewed beer.

All in all, a fine final meal in Omaha. We plowed back down towards the Stadium for the final night of baseball and scored reserved seats from a couple who had purchased a set of four, but were only able to use two. $15, instead of the $10 for the general admission, and we didn’t have to spend our time getting bumped out of our seats in the fourth inning. In addition, we got some quality bonding time to spend with the locals, who were interested in our trip and what we were doing – and even offered some suggestions as to new places to hit on the way to Denver. Dale quickly put an end to that talk by firmly explaining that our schedule was already planned months in advance, and we would have no room for deviation. [#61514;]

[img]http://api.photoshop.com/home_b557c85cc01c4c2196973409a1e926b4/adobe-px-assets/9fa78f03172a4e66b65777dc28ee11f9[/img]
Miami battled a tough Stanford team in an elimination game. Seems to me that all of the Nebraska fans/Miami haters went home happy, as Stanford held on to beat the ‘Canes.

[img]http://api.photoshop.com/home_b557c85cc01c4c2196973409a1e926b4/adobe-px-assets/360120f131b64324aeb93f66b9a9f6b7[/img]
This gets to serve as my final image of the 2008 College World Series. I am going to do everything in my power to make it back next year again!

Stella’s
106 Galvin Rd S
Bellevue, NE 68005-2119

Ted and Wally’s Ice Cream
12th and Market
Omaha, NE 68102

[url='http://www.omahazoo.com/']Henry Doorly Zoo[/url]
3701 S 10th St
Omaha, NE 68107

[url='http://www.bohemiancafe.net/']Bohemian Cafe[/url]
1406 South 13th Street
Omaha, NE 68108
<message edited by The Travelin Man on Tue, 06/23/09 9:44 AM>

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/11/08 9:19 PM
Steve, NC may have stumbled, but surely you can take solace in the fact that Fresno State stepped it up when it counted?!

The Travelin Man
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/11/08 9:39 PM
Omaha – EpilogueA Quinn Martin Production

If you couldn’t tell from any of the previous writings, I love the College World Series. It is – still – the best single sporting event I’ve attended. I know that a couple of you have expressed interest in attending this event (paging mr chips and buffetbuster – please pick up the white courtesy phone!). If you are planning on doing it – you need to take action. The plan is to move the CWS from Rosenblatt Stadium to a new planned downtown ballpark – and it is apparently a[url='http://www.collegebaseballdigest.com/news/index.html?article_id=30']done deal[/url]. Rosenblatt is part of what makes this event unique – vendors line the streets hawking t-shirts and other souvenirs – but, they do it on people’s lawns. Zesto’s, located right next to the stadium, is part of CWS culture. There is a nearby baseball card store, which one local reporter referred to as a museum for the CWS. None of this will be a part of the NEW College World Series – which will likely be referred to by attendees as pre- and post-2010. I could go on and on, but [url='http://espn.go.com/ncaa/s/2003/0620/1570809.html']this guy[/url] says it a lot better than I can. So, if you are planning this pilgrimage, you need to do it soon. The CWS, if you are to believe the locals, is headed for becoming another corporate-run, cookie-cutter, and gentrified event – one where you won’t be able to purchase anything within a six-block radius of the stadium that is not approved by the NCAA. As it is, I spoke to no one from Omaha who seemed in favor of this move. But, we all know what talks and what walks…and the NCAA seems to have bullied their way into a new downtown stadium with all the amenities that one would want….fans be darned.

As for the food….

Top 3 Meals
Johnny’s
Stella’s
Ted and Wally’s – OK, so it’s not a meal…sue me.

Only True Boner of this Segment
Petrow’s – could have easily been replaced with a fabulous meal at my Italian joint.

The side trip through Iowa, both for food and sight-seeing was well worthwhile. I would encourage anyone to stop by The Farmer’s Kitchen if you’re passing through or near Atlantic. Say hi to Lynae for me! I gushed about the zoo enough previously that I will spare you from that.

With that, I pass the baton for the Denver and points west portion.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/11/08 10:13 PM
Oh, that burger and fries are giving me the shivers--lovely. And good pick with the ice cream flavors! If you ever make it to the Botanical Garden of Wales, you'd like their rainforest too. No animals though.

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 9:13 AM
Did you guys see the new owner of Stella's?

I'll give you a hint, she doesn't have a Mohawk.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2620&u_sid=10340552

Nancypalooza
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 9:39 AM
She's cute!

blizzardstormus
  • Total Posts : 274
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 9:50 AM
TTM, great report! I made it to Stella's last week for the first time and I also highly recommend it. I asked the young lady if I could talk to the owner and she replied, "I AM!" It's good to know that the younger generation cares about tradition.

I'll say "hi" to Lynae for you; she really enjoyed your company. By the way, she just announced she's pregnant!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 9:56 AM
Great story on Stella or now the Franscois.

Steve the burger looked really good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 10:55 AM
Omaha- Epilogue and Footnotes

Returning to Omaha after 10 year absence was quite an experience. My last two visits to Omaha in 1990 and 1998 were somewhat brief and I only managed to Check out the Bohemian Cafe on the 1st visit and Runza on the 2nd.

Johnny's was by far my favorite roadfood restaurant in Omaha if not on the entire trip. The meal started with a blue cheese salad with homemade dressing loaded with chunks of blue cheese.
The Strip Steak was perfect- well marbled, seared on the outside and slightly pink on the inside. The Hashbrowns were an excellent accompanyment although I like mine just a tad crispier.
I didn't care that the apple pie sucked

Dinkers and Stella's I've been to many large cities, NYC, LA, Chicago, etc, however Omaha and to a slightly lesser degree, Kansas City are first cities I've visited that I can truly say has a definitive Burger Culture.
Both Burgers were amazing, however Stella's definetely had an edge over Dinkers. It is beyond a doubt that I now know where I can find the best burgers in the country.

Ted and Wally's- After my horrific experience at Petrow's the night before, I was craving Cinnamon Ice Cream, in fact I may have dreamt about it overnight. The bar we went to in Warren Buffet's neighborhood had a sign on their front door that no outside food or drink was allowed inside their bar, not even bottled water, however the one exception to their rule was Ted and Wally's Ice Cream. I've read about Ted and Wally's previously either in the Let's Go USA or USA The Rough Guide. The Cinnamon Graham Cracker Ice Cream was by far the best Ice Cream of the trip. I tried some of TTM's French Toast Ice Cream and I can say the same thing about that as well.

The Farmer's Kitchen pleasantly surprised me, I wasn't sure what to expect before I arrived but I'm glad I had the chance to visit. Mark and his Mom were great hosts and Lynae was probably one of my favorite servers on the trip (I know she was TTM's)
They made a very worthy Breaded Pork Tenderloin and The Sour Cream Raisin Pie was absolute Heaven.. I also tried the fried cheese appetizer which truthfully was just ok, but I think that's because I'm simply a bigger fan of fried cheese curds.

The Bohemian Cafe- I liked the Bohemian Cafe, although I would not recommend engaging in a quick game of Tennis or Pick Up Basketball after eating a meal there. The meal was quite heavy and filling, perfect for those of "peasant stock" and although I enjoyed the golfball sized dumpling in the liver Dumpling Soup, the broth was somewhat salty.

Petrow's- Mediocre Food with service that was beyond horrible. The service there was by far the worst of the trip. A Hot Beef Sandwich according to the Sterns is a regional meal popular in the Northern and Central Midwest. I understand it is primarly found in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakota's. The Hot Beef served at Petrow's I found to be ordinary, I think the gravy makes the meal and I found it to be too thick and gloppy for my taste. The Rhubarb Pie was nothing special, it tasted "store bought" versus "homemade, I couldn't tell you anything about their cinammon ice cream because it never arrived despite asking for it twice.

I know TTM feels that his Italian Restaurant would have been a better choice, honestly it probably was, however where I live in Rhode Island I could wander outside blindfolded and will bump into 20 different independently owned Italian Restaurants within a 2 mile radius all ranging from good to unbelievably outstanding. Bad or Mediocre Italian restaurants simply don't exist in Rhode Island. The best way I could describe the plethora of of Italian Restaurants in Rhode Island is to compare it to Forrest Gump's friend, Bubba and the zillion different ways he would serve shrimp
If I had the hindsight about Petrow's despite the recommendation, I would have considered the Cheese Frenchies at Don and Millies, or another Burger at Louis M's, one of the potato casserole dishes at The Summer Kitchen (or any of it's offshoots and copycats) or perhaps a steak at Warren Buffet's favorite joint, Gorat's.

I had the opportunity to check out two coffee houses, The local chain, Crane Coffee, which offered a medium roast that I found to be somewhat weak and ordinary and Blue Line Coffee in Warren Buffet's Dundee neighborhood which provided a very worthy dark roast in a somewhat dumpy (even for a coffeehouse) atmosphere.

I agree with TTM's take on Brew Pubs- they are all geared toward's yuppies, there's no denying that. With the exception of Upstream and to a lesser degree, Wynkoop in Denver which served a mixture of locals and out of towners I disagree that all the brewpubs we went to catered to out of towners.
Coincidentally brewpubs sprouted up right around the time that it became trendy to renovate old Warehouse Districts on the outskirts of the central downtown core hence TTM's assessment that the brewpubs appear to be cookie cutter establishments.

The College World Series was a fantastic experience, I wish I could say I share TTM's enthusiasm, but I certainly don't regret going, I had a great time, would even consider going again if I ever had the time to make my way to Omaha, and was both surprised and amazed at the locals' enthusiasm for the event. I will say that it is a shame that Rosenblatt will be torn down in favor of a new stadium and more corporate college world series in the downtown area.

I will leave you with a couple of more photos from

I will start uploading the Denver and Albuquerque Photos and should have the first chapter posted by tommorow at the latest.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 11:03 AM
To all-wonderful pics and report.WJ-the last pics you posted were marvelous.Love the blue cheese salad!!Thanks to all for sharing.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 11:18 AM
There must have been $5.00 worth of bleu cheese on that salad. It looked very good to me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 12:39 PM
Now that was an excellent chapter. Good job guys! Now TTM get to work on your final to add to Dale's denver section (Hint- do it in Word before adding it to the thread !!)

catosaurus
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 12:52 PM
Fabulous trip report. I really enjoy reading about your adventures and tastings! Please keep them coming. (Also, if you're ever planning something like this in southern California, give us SoCal-ites a chance to join the fun!)

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/12/08 2:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up on AB's vs LC...

From the pictures, there is no question AB was at least having one bad day..If not many? Well, a lot of the KC locals have been saying LC's is better for several years now. Whenever there is a comment aobut AAB's someone is posting that LC's is better!

If you look back at some old pictures of AB's food, everything looked a lot better then what these new pictures show us. Especially those fries! No question that LC's food looks fantastic.

Great great pictures for Stroud's, too.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6219
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 8:02 AM
Fantastic trip report and pictures! Thank you!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 9:13 AM
More interesting with each addition. TTM, you've convinced me to go next year. Let's start the planning now.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 9:34 AM
Thursday June 19- On the road to Denver

I guess this could have been an "On the Road" movie, just use your imagination and replace Bob Hope and Bing Crosby with TTM and I.

After a quick bite at Blue Line Coffee in Omaha we headed out along the open prairie for what was going to be pretty much a travel day. We were leaving the proverbial midwest behind and heading into the mountain west, the land of outdoor enthusiasts, politically correct left wing liberals and religious zealots.

Our first stop was lunch at Homemade Heaven Sandwich Shop in Ogallala NE. The review and photos posted on Roadfood looked promising and I was looking forward to this meal for quite some time.
On a quiet mains treet in downtown Ogallala the place appeared to be
somewhat unassuming from the outside.

Inside, there was a small line of people for the lunch crowd and we engaged in conversation with a transplant from Texas in front of us. Apparently she and her husband owned a bed and breakfast nearby.

We perused the menu board and oogled the dessert display case and of course I, "Mr Plan Ahead" already knew what I was getting.

Yes, that is a pretzel you see on the lower left side of the dessert display case.

An Asian lady who I'm assuming is the proprietor took our order and then we sat down at our table.

Both TTM and I ordered the Cabbage Pocket (aka Cabbage Burger, Bierock, Runza etc) I also ordered a side of the Sweet Potato Fries and I believe TTM ordered the Onion Rings.

Frankly, I believe both TTM and I were somewhat dissapointed in our meals. The sweet potato fries which are most likely homemade, were not fresh out of the fryer and therefore did not taste "homemade".
And where's the beef? or the onions? for that matter, the Cabbage Pocket was literally a "cabbage pocket" the consistency was probably 75% cabbage and 25% meat and I'm probably being generous. The pocket was also rather bland and therefore had to dip it in mustard to give it flavor.

The only saving grace (for me at least) was dessert, I ordered the Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and I'm willing to say that I'd put it up against Moody's in Waldoboro Maine in competition.

TTM ordered the Chocolate Pie, he thought it wasn't sweet enough comparing it to "semisweet chocolate" I tried a piece and thought it was very good, but then again as most of you know I've never been a fan of desserts that are too sweet.

Overall, Homemade Heaven wasn't a terrible meal, it just didn't live up to our expectations based on the Roadfood review.

After lunch we had a short drive through the remainder of Nebraska and before we knew it...

As we were approaching the outskirts of suburban Denver from the east, TTM was surprised that he was not able to see the Rocky Mountains from a distance, however I explained that the foot hills begin approximately 20 miles west of Denver and the somewhat hazy skies weren't helping.

We arrived in Denver just at the start of evening rush hour and checked into our hotel just over a mile west of the downtown periphery.

We drove about 20 miles west for our Dinner Stop at The Fort in Morrison CO.

Nestled 6100 feet above sea level in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, The Fort, an adobe style "fortress" is a true
definitive ColoradoROADFOOD establishment previously written about and reviewed in the Stern's Roadfood books PRIOR to the Roadfood website.

Note the sign "beware of rattlesnakes" this could be a forewarning of what is to become- however you'll have to stick around for the Albuquerque segment of the trip to find out more.

Apparently back in the day you could eat at The Fort in exchange for
skins and furs in lieu of $$- here's the trading post aka gift shop.

It is also to my knowledge, the only roadfood establishment to have hosted Bill Clinton's "Summit of the 8" which consisted of several foreign heads of state including Boris Yeltsin.

The interior of The Fort definetely has the feel of Old West to it.

Luckily we called in advance and made a reservation.

The meal began with an assorted bread basket, since it's been well over 3 weeks I forgot specifically what the basket consisted of but perhaps TTM might remember, but I do remember that the rolls and muffins were exceptionally good.

I started with the Peanut Butter stuffed Jalapeno appetizer. I am truly convinced that I am a masochist, the best way to describe this amazingly addictive appetizer would be the ultimate sensation of pleasure and pain. The tongue searing whole jalapeno peppers combined with the creamy peanut butter interior left me craving even more.

I asked the server (who was probably one of the best on our trip)
about the Washtunkala Cast Iron Kettle (basically a buffalo campfire stew) as I was torn between that and the Buffalo Smokehouse Ribs. He recommended it and I went for it. I believe TTM ordered a Buffalo Steak of some type which I know he enjoyed and I'm sure he'll elaborate about later.

The Buffalo Stew (actually served in a mini cast iron kettle!) consists of a demiglace, green chiles, corn, pearl onions and sunflower seeds, the rich demiglace complimented the generous strips of buffalo meat, however I thought it was one shade below excellent and that was my fault- I'm not a huge fan of pearl onions, besides that I would not hesitate to say that this was also one of the best meals of the trip

I think TTM's only dissapointment about his experience at The Fort was that he didn't get to wear this.

This is a photo I got off of the Fort's website ( I don't know who the guy is that's wearing it)

After Dinner, we walked around the Fort's property, we observed an amazing lightening storm take place some distance away, we were wondering if it was affecting the Rockies game that night, but as it turns out the storm was actually about 20 miles east of Denver and did not approach downtown.

I know TTM took some great nightime photos around the The Fort's property after dinner, I took some photos too, but I still don't have those nighttime shots figured out on my digital camera because I never read the directions, I'm hoping TTM posts some of those photos.

After our long day, we headed back to the hotel and called it a night

Much more later...

Homemade Heaven Sandwich Shop
12 Spruce Street
Ogallala NE 69153

The Fort
19192 Highway 8
Morrison CO 80465

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 10:05 AM
When I saw the menu, I thought...I don't know what a haystack is, but I'll bet WJ orders a cabbage pocket.

catosaurus
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 11:59 AM
I'm also curious about what the #18 "Haystack" sandwich consisted of (on the Homemade Heaven menu). I tried to google "haystack", but ended up with a wikipedia recipe for a Hawaiian haystack that didn't sound very good at all (chicken, rice, pineapple, cream-of-mushroom-soup, and chow mein noodles).

PLEASE tell me that a Nebraska haystack is better than that!

Nancypalooza
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 12:58 PM
Did the Fort have meat other than buffalo? Or is that just the buffalo page?

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 1:37 PM
Nancy, the menu is on the Fort web site, and it indicates that they serve beef, pork, poultry, etc. too. I've seen The Fort on FoodTV or the Travel Channel; it looks like quite a place.

http://www.thefort.com/

I just love the idea of a place that serves Roast Bison Marrow Bones!

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/13/08 7:21 PM
Friday June 20- Denver CO

Who would have thought just a mile away from my hotel there would be a really cool urban neighborhood.. Not one, not two, but three local coffeehouses in the pedestrian friendly shopping district. I opted to try the local chain called Peaberry. I don’t recall if they had a medium or dark roast but it was certainly adequate. Despite the somewhat "corporate" atmosphere, the cool thing about this place was besides having an indoor seating area, they had an enclosed outdoor seating area too. However I got a real kick out of their biodegradable coffee cup holder with the following slogan “Buy Colorado, it really pisses of Seattle”

After my quick breakfast I walked back to the hotel. TTM was up by this time. Our first stop was The Buffalo Restaurant and Bar, in the old mountain mining town of Idaho Springs CO approximately 30 miles west of Denver. At 7500 feet above sea level this is Mountain Country. With “Old West Style” decor of a stuffed Animal Head or two, the place was hopping at lunch time.

This place truly serves just about anything and everything Buffalo as evidenced by some of the menu items.

They even have their own "Tatanka Sauce"

I perused the craft beer menu, thinking I would just get an iced tea, however TTM pointed out that they had “Dale’s Pale Ale” on the menu. I never had it before, but thought it would be a sin to turn down a brew with my “namesake”. I ordered the Buffalo Burger topped with Shredded Cheese and Buffalo Black Bean Chili with a side salad. I believe TTM ordered a regular Beef Burger. I was pleasantly surprised by the meal,although Buffalo is leaner than beef, this was still a very flavorful burger which was further complimented by the meaty somewhat spicy but very flavorful chili. I believe TTM enjoyed his burger too. Overall a very nice find .

We took a walk along Idaho Springs’ main street and soaked in the scenery. This old mining town has obviously gone upscale. I was disappointed to see that the local ice Cream shop was no longer in business with a sign that they moved “down the road” to Grand Junction about 200 miles way!
We did stop by a purveyor of chocolates called “Miner Decadence” located on Idaho Spring’s Miner Street and engaged in conversation with the proprietress who apparently had just opened up for business . She was planning to eventually sell ice cream out of her shop as well,, oh well bad timing for me I guess.

We headed back on the road towards Coors Brewery...

Here are some really cool shots of the scenery along the way....

Coors brewery is located in suburban Golden Colorado and appears to take up more than half the town. We had trouble finding the tour entrance, but when we arrived, we realized that we actually have to take a shuttle bus to the entrance of the plant. We were surprised to see a fairly long line for the Shuttle Bus, but the buses do come frequently,therfore the line moved quickly. The bus driver took a detour through Golden’s “downtown” prior to arriving at the Brewery.

I regret that we didn’t have more time to explore Golden proper. The tour was interesting enough and informative (and free). They do provide samples, one in the middle of the tour and three after the tour.

When we entered the "sample room" after the tour, I noticed TTM immediately heading over in the direction of these

and I "gently" had to prod him in the right direction.

We tried the Blue Moon Honey Brown which oddly enough tasted a lot like JW Dundee’s Honey Brown made by the Genesee Brewing Company out of Rochester NY. This tour only supported my position that other than Blue Moon, I don’t like Coors Beer no matter how “fresh” it is.

Here are some photos of the tour.

After the tour we were conversing with a a transplant from Seattle and his visiting friend at the Coors gift shop, ironically we bumped into them at Coors Field later on in the evening.

On the way back to Denver, we gave Biker Jim a call, we had plans to meet him for dinner at the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver. We drove directly to the restaurant which was conveniently located across from the rapid transit rail stop. Perfect for our venture downtown after the meal to catch the Rockies at Coors Field.

The Buckhorn is Denver’s oldest restaurant and from the outside it certainly shows.

The interior is something like I’ve never quite seen before. A plethora of mounted game heads, everywhere and anywhere, you name it they’ve got it. There were numerous photos of celebrities as well, both long dead, recently dead, dying or almost dying.

No surprise for a restaurant that’s been around since 1893.

Biker Jim arrived. An affable and personable fellow and a great conversationalist. We talked about his concession business, his bike trip to Chicago and meet up with Chi Town Dinerand the Professor himself, Chicago Style Dog and his early days as a wayward youth in Alaska .

Biker Jim was “brave enough” to share an order of Rocky Mountain Oysters (aka Bull Nuts) with me since TTM winced at the thought, he politely declined. It’s been a decade since my first (and last)
shot at these and I enjoyed them much more this time than the last. They had a crunchy, chewy, somewhat “spongy” texture and to me tasted very similar to fried chicken gizzards.

As the bus girl was clearing the table, the most hilarious conversation that could only happen during a Roadfood meet up ensued between Biker Jim and the bus girl

Biker Jim: “I’ve seen you at my hot dog cart before”

Bus Girl: “I don’t eat hot dogs”

Biker Jim: I don’t sell hot dogs”

When Biker Jim explained that he sells “gourmet and game sausages” the bus girl realized that she was in fact a customer of his downtown concession stand.

Back to the meal, I started out with the hearty and smokey bean soup and ordered the 16 oz Buffalo Prime Rib with Saratoga Chips (Homemade Potato Chips) I believe that TTM and Biker Jim shared what appeared to be “A SIDE OF COW” I have no other way to explain what came to our table othern than expecting it to sprout legs and start “mooing”. My Buffalo Prime Rib was outstanding, the sauteed mushrooms and onions which we all shared only enhanced the flavor. TTM and Biker Jim both tried some and even TTM who is usually not a fan of Buffalo, agreed that this was one fine piece of meat.

I topped my meal off with a fine slice of apple pie with cinnamon hard sauce. My only complaint about the entire meal was that they served the pie a la mode since I didn't ask for it that way, a minor infraction which did not detract from this outstanding meal.

After the meal, we took the light rail which dropped us off in downtown’s Lo Do district, a couple of blocks from Coors Field which anchors this neighborhood of converted warehouses. We were somewhat surprised that there were no ticket scalpers immediately in the area. We were running a little late and got to the game at the beginning of the second inning. The Rockies were playing TTM’s favorite team, The Mets and this game took place shortly after the Met’s manager Willie Randolph was axed. The Rockies were up by 2 when we arrived, but the Met’s rallied early in the game and beat the Rockies.7-2.

The following photos were taken by TTM

After the game we stopped at Wynkoop, the flagship brew pub that got this neighborhood going back in 1988 for a quick brew. It was getting late, we took the rapid rail back to our car drove back to the hotel and called it a night.

Buffalo Restaurant and Bar
1617 Miner Street
Idaho Springs CO 80452

Coors Brewing Company
311 10th Street
Golden CO 80401

Buckhorn Exchange
1000 Osage Street
Denver CO 80204

Coors Field
2001 Blake Street
Denver CO 80205

More tommorow......

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 1:03 AM
Steve and Dale, great, great stuff, guys!! Stellas looks totally righteous and French Toast ice cream??!! Insane!

Dale, Those stuffed jalapenos look mighty interesting. Is that minced roasted red pepper as the garnish? Was it just PB stuffed in there? It looks like two different shades of tan. Was it just a color change as some of it melted from the cooking process? Do you know what kind of PB they used? Natural? Jif, etc...?

Great ballpark photos, man! Love the one of Coors Field at dusk! Beautiful! Can't wait to see and read the rest.
<message edited by billyboy on Mon, 07/22/13 11:48 AM>

MiamiDon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 7:13 AM
That sure looks like another fun Roadfood day. I especially like the look of that chili cheeseburger.

In the photo of the Tatanka sauce, there is a plate with plastic wrap covering it. What are the little brown chunks under the wrap?

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 8:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

Dale, Those stuffed jalapenos look mighty interesting. Is that minced roasted red pepper as the garnish? Was it just PB stuffed in there? It looks like two different shades of tan. Was it just a color change as sokme of it melted from the cooking process? Do you know what kind of PB they used? Natural? Jif, etc...?

Billyboy,

I believe the garnish were pimentos but I'm not completely sure. The menu describes the peanut butter as "mango whipped" it was very smooth and creamy if that helps.

quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

In the photo of the Tatanka sauce, there is a plate with plastic wrap covering it. What are the little brown chunks under the wrap?

Buffalo Jerky

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 2:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

Did you guys see the new owner of Stella's?

I'll give you a hint, she doesn't have a Mohawk.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2620&u_sid=10340552
In Roadfood parlance, she would be a great catch!

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 2:53 PM
Love the bleu cheese salad. Did you ask for extra cheese or is that the standard?

catosaurus
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 6:26 PM
This thread rocks!

But, I'm still waiting to find out what a Haystack sandwich is (from the Nebraska sandwich shop). Does anyone know?

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 6:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by susanll

Love the bleu cheese salad. Did you ask for extra cheese or is that the standard?

Nope, that was standard, I won't deny that the salad was good- but the Steak that came after it..blew me away....

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 6:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by catosaurus

Fabulous trip report. I really enjoy reading about your adventures and tastings! Please keep them coming. (Also, if you're ever planning something like this in southern California, give us SoCal-ites a chance to join the fun!)

I should be back on Southern California as early as next April, but remember my So-Cal motto--
NO Burgers- NO BBQ- NO Hot Dogs!

mayor al
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 6:34 PM
CAT-
The first of the "casual" meet n eats was on Superbowl Sunday in Rancho Cucamonga in Feb. of 2004. We had over 20 RF members and friends at Woody's BBQ on Foothill that day. It was a real fun time.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 7:17 PM
Saturday June 21

I returned to the Highland Park neighborhood, but this time I decided to check out Common Grounds, a local coffee house with only two locations, the other being in Denver’s downtown Lo Do district. I drove this time since we were meeting Biker Jimat 10:30 am. This was a strong, full bodied cuppa joe, just like I remember the way West Coast coffee tasted. I wish I could have stayed at the coffee house and soak in the atmosphere- but we were “on a schedule” this morning.

First we drove back to Coors Field to get some exterior shots which we didn’t have time to do the evening before, we then headed over to Biker Jim’s “other concession” he runs with his wife serving up latte’s, cappucino’s and other breakfast items. We sampled some of his wares and were quite impressed.

As you can see we followed Biker Jim to El Taco De Mexico located a short distance away in the barrio. This neighborhood certainly had character and I wish I had more time to explore it.
Biker Jim’s better half also joined us as well...

El Taco De Mexico, is housed in a very simple building, basically, a taco stand, however the tacos and burritos they serve offer complex tastes and textures.

I checked out the menu display on the wall..

and ordered the El Pastor (marinated pork) Burrito - wet which means smothered in Green Chile.

Biker Jim ordered the “Cheeks Meat” Burrito

and Mrs Biker Jim ordered the Tongue Tacos.

Although TTM was there, he sat out on this meal as he is not a fan of Mexican Food.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1052/1449795561_b8bd88f2b2.jpg?v=0[/img]

I was surprised that the Green Chile was somewhat less spicy than what is served by it’s neighbor to the South, New Mexico, but what it lacked in spice, it made up for in flavor. I’ll admit I was somewhat hesitant to order Cheeks Meat or Tongue, but when I tried some of Biker Jim’s Burrito, all I can say is WOW- I know what I’ll be having next time.

TTM was looking for a shop to get some goodies for the Mayor and Poverty Pete. Biker Jim recommended a place in the Cherry Creek Neighborhood called Continental Deli, so off we went. Cherry Creek is an upscale (read yuppie) urban neighborhood a few miles from Downtown Denver, similar to Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza, but with a lot less architectural charm and character. We went to the deli that Biker Jim suggested, which was a “European Style Deli”. We also passed a sign for a farmers market which we walked to. As it so happens to farmers market is held practically in the Cherry Creek Mall Parking lot. TTM picked up some more items and also got some type of Sausage for himself, I forgot what exactly it was but he said it was good.

After a short detour back at the hotel, we returned to Downtown Denver. We strolled the area near the Capital, there was a festival going on, if TTM wishes, he can elaborate more about the festival.
Here are some photos of the State Capital and The City County Building.

According to TTM that’s “Frank Colorado” in front of the Capital building, has anyone ever heard of him?

Unfortunately both the Capital and US Mint which were both located nearby were closed for the weekend.

We walked back towards the downtown Central Core and strolled up the 16th Street mall, which is basically a pedestrian only outdoor mall and downtown’s biggest tourist attraction. There are shuttle buses that go up and down the mall. It was so sad to see that many of the local businesses that used to be here have been replaced by national chains. We took a slight detour through Larimer Square, a one block sidestreet off the mall housing upscale shops and restaurants in Victorian Era Buildings. This used to be Denver’s entertainment district prior to the popularity of Lo Do.

It was now approaching 4pm and we wanted to do an early dinner. TTM wanted to take a drive through of the Air force Academy in Colorado Springs prior to the triple A minor league Colorado Springs Sky Sox Game.

We walked to the Rocky Mountain Diner. A somewhat “upscale” diner with western style motif.
Biker Jim and his wife alluded to the fact that they were somewhat disappointed the last time he went there. I’ve been dying to try this place out for the last decade and had to see for myself how good/bad or mediocre it was.

I reviewed the menu and even though I already knew what I was getting

I started out with a cup of the buffalo chili which was richly infused with cumin, however the soupy chili was lacking in buffalo meat

For my main course, I ordered the Campfire Rocky Mountain Rainbow Trout with Red Chili Rice. The meal came with a biscuit which was somewhat overdone, the Trout served grilled had a luscious clean taste, but the filet was somewhat thin, this is probably the second time I've had trout in my life, the last being ten years ago and I'm not certain if the filet is supposed to be as thin as it was.

TTM ordered the chicken fried chicken which he said was good but not great. This was definetely not a spectacular meal, but would put it in the “OK” category.

After dinner, we decided to take the 16th street shuttle bus back to our car as we were in a rush to get to Colorado Springs.

There are several things you just can't make up and this is one of them

While we were on the shuttle bus, there were two young ladies around age 20 or so standing near us. Some drunk guy gets on the bus, and says to one of the young ladies "you're fat" the young ladies were quite taken aback in disbelief at what this bozo blurted out, after the guy was rambling on about how fat that particular girl was he finally got off at his stop, probably to "detoxify" or return to his homeless shelter. First of all I know what you're all thinking- No that drunk guy was NOT ME! I was just an innocent bystander. The girl who had the insults flung at her was obviously upset and teary eyed, TTM did his best to console her. Truth is this girl was NOT FAT, in fact she looked like she could have been Paris Hilton's less skinny sister.

We hit the road at 5pm, but because of the "downtown Festival" I mentioned previously, Colfax street, which was supposed to get us back on to I-25 was blocked. Once we found our way back onto I-25, we hit some fairly heavy gridlock just south of the Denver Metro area. Apparently there was some construction and there was also alot of heavy truck and RV traffic which I thought was odd for a late Saturday afternoon. We arrrived at the Airforce Academy and unfortunately they closed their gates to visitors after 6pm. we arrived about 15 minutes too late..

As we were driving through Colorado Springs towards the Ballpark, we were expecting to run into this guy.

There seemed to be more churches per capita in Colorado Springs than Italian Restaurants in Rhode Island. We arrived at the corporate namsake Security Service Field, triple A ballpark for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. A very non descript ballpark which faces a large development of cookie cutter homes in lieu of the majestic Rockies in the other direction. Seating only 8500 people, the Colorado Springs Skysox play at the smallest venue in Triple A baseball. They hosted the Fresno Grizzlies in a very ho-hum game, so ho-hum I ended up downing a 24 oz Fat Tire Hefeweizen in record time, probably one of the best beers of the trip. I didn't realize how quick I could get "happy" after guzzling a 24 ouncer at over 6000 feet above sea level, well....TTM had to drive back to Denver. It was a no contest game, the Skysox were beating the Grizzlies and we left at the beginning of the 8th inning and drove back to Denver and called it a night as we were both flying out early the next morning, TTM to Nashville and me to Albuquerque.

TTM will most likely provide photos of the Sky Sox game, as I didn't take any on my digital.

Biker Jim's Concessions
1106 E 16th Avenue
Denver CO 80218

El Taco De Mexico
714 Santa Fe Dr
Denver CO 80204

Continental Deli
250 Steele Street
Denver CO 80206

Rocky Mountain Diner
800 18th Street
Denver CO 80202

Security Service Field
4385 Tuft Blvd
Colorado Springs CO 80922

We're almost there, I will be uploading the Albuquerque photos- that should be a two parter, with a very brief last day rant about the Airline Industry.

mayor al
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Mon, 07/14/08 8:53 PM

Where's the photo of the girl on the shuttle bus??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Good Job Dale!

The Travelin Man
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Tue, 07/15/08 1:54 AM
Denver Wrap-Up (Part I?)

By the time we'd reached Homemade Heaven in Ogallala, I was pretty freakin' hungry. The muffin, scone, coffee cake - whatever interchangeable coffee house snack I chose that day had long since worn off. As quick as Dale was to dismiss our new Omaha friends' suggestion out this way, I was anxious to see this place - and get some good grub. The place did LOOK promising enough, but as we all know...looks can be deceiving. Personally, I thought Dale was a little too kind when he said "Overall, Homemade Heaven wasn't a terrible meal, it just didn't live up to our expectations based on the Roadfood review." First of all...*I* didn't have any expectations, but went into it with an open mind. *I* did think it was a terrible meal. For one thing, the interior of the cabbage pocket was grey. Grey is not an appealing food color - at all. The meat-to-cabbage ratio was poor, and the end result was a considerably bland meal. After reading the posted review when I got home, the reviewer even said "A little salt and pepper helped bring out the flavors of the cabbage pocket..." That is code for "the food was bland as all get-up."

The onion rings were overcooked.

Yes, I like a crispy onion ring, too...these were not just crispy, they were poorly prepared and overcooked.

I didn't eat half my pie. For anyone who knows me at all...that should say a lot. The chocolate was a heavy pudding-like consistency, that tasted like melted Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips. The white topping had a chemical taste. This lunch approached $15 with tip - a bit much for a small-town cafe in the middle of nowhere. A lot too much when you consider how bad the food was.

Our experience sparked a renewed debate on the ride towards Denver about reviews written by the Sterns and the Roadfood editorial team versus suggestions that come from "elsewhere" - which could be reviews written by other members, suggestions in forum posts, other "outside" sources, etc. My contention was that I am still less likely to be steered wrong by a recommendation from the Sterns than I am from "someone else" and with the volume of restaurants that we covered on this trip, that played out statistically. If you were to rank all of the restaurants that we visited (somehow) in order of quality, the top portion of the list would be littered with recommendations received from the Sterns (and I use that as an overly generic term for the entire editorial staff), and the bottom portion of the list would include our suggestions from "elsewhere." The notable exceptions were the burgers in Omaha at Stella's and Dinker's (on the good list) and our miserable meal at Arthur Bryant's on the bad list.

The Fort, on the other hand, was great. I am sure that I am not the first person to discover this. As for the unidentified bread basket contents from wanderingjew's post, I believe that the muffins were some kind of pumpkin spice, which were really good (and I don't much care for pumpkin) and the bread was a ciabatta-style offering that was lightly dusted with a southwestern spice. Both were really good.

While I was waiting for our meals to arrive, I went out on their back patio to take some pictures of the storm that was approaching.

For an appetizer, I ordered the buffalo empanadas, which were excellent.

The two sauces, well, I could only label as "spicy" and "spicier." The thicker one (on the right) was powerful, but the one on the left was (I think) a citrus-y spicy. It was pretty good - and the one of which I consumed the most.

14 ounce bone-in buffalo NY strip cooked medium rare....this was a tasty hunk of meat. Given the recent debate on the NYC steakhouses that cut the meat from the bone, I would have gladly had the kitchen cook the steak with the bone-in and then removed the meat from the bone for me, as I am afraid I butchered the thing pretty good not long after this photo was taken.

More photos from The Fort....

I would have gladly paid twice these posted prices!

Doing a little better with those low-light shots.

OK, ladies...here's your shot. Remember all the times he called you fat? How about the time he corrected you on some minor point of minutiae that no one else on this planet could care about? Well....

...I hope you have your rotten tomatoes handy. If anyone would like a full-resolution blow-up copy of that photo, please let me know. I think I can pay off my student loans by selling them!

I have some more to say on Colorado, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Nancypalooza
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Tue, 07/15/08 7:16 AM
LOLOLOL--nice picture Steve!

mayor al
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Tue, 07/15/08 8:59 AM
Hey, Duffy tried to lift his leg on my monitor when this 'graphic' was displayed. Please remember this is a "Family" (and pet) friendly website!!

Thanks for the Denver wrap-up TTM, We are looking forward to the Grand Finale for both of you!

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Tue, 07/15/08 10:35 AM
quote:

Denver Wrap-Up (Part I?)
As quick as Dale was to dismiss our new Omaha friends' suggestion out this way, I was anxious to see this

I'm not sure if TTM remembers, but this is the place that the couple in Omaha recommended

[url]www.olesbiggame.com[/url]

Yet another steakhouse. I've seen this place mentioned before on the forum with mixed comments.
I loves me a good steak as much as the next guy but we were heading to The Fort for dinner and then the Buckhorn the next day, and Homemade heaven seemed promising, obviously it wasn't, and I was obviously a little too forgiving on the review because I enjoyed my dessert. Bruce Bilmes previously indicated that the reviewers "Erica and Jon" have apparently reviewed quite a few places out in the Sacramento area. It was my impression that based on Bruce's compliments on said reviewers that they were "right on the mark", similarly to Bruce and Sue and even Chris and Amy's (ayersian) reviews here on the east coast.

quote:
Our experience sparked a renewed debate on the ride towards Denver about reviews written by the Sterns and the Roadfood editorial team versus suggestions that come from "elsewhere" My contention was that I am still less likely to be steered wrong by a recommendation from the SternsThe notable exceptions were the burgers in Omaha at Stella's and Dinker's (on the good list)

I'm going to have to throw the Buffalo Bar and Restaurant, and Ted and Wally's and El Taco De Mexico in this mix as well (I'm assuming TTM will agree with me on these with the exception of El Taco De Mexico since he didn't partake). A couple of restaurants in Albuquerque too, but that's for a later chapter.

quote:
ladies...here's your shot. Remember all the times he called you fat? How about the time he corrected you on some minor point of minutiae that no one else on this planet could care about? Well....

I never called anyone fat, I just said I don't date fat women.

The Travelin Man
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/17/08 9:05 AM
Denver Wrap-up (conclusion)

Based on wanderingjew's comments above, I am going to say that he liked this place a lot more than I did. It wasn't bad, it just reminded me of all the uber-touristy places that we have here in central Florida. We usually laugh at the tourists that choose to eat there? Why? Because the meals are overpriced and unexceptional, but they do a good bit of advertising with the local hotels and convention folks.

This was my plate of food. The absence of tomato (well after the tomato "scare") didn't help. On the plus side, they did have cheddar cheese and the chips were done on-site.

This was also the first place to get a little bit of pink into a medium burger. Good job.

Unfortunately, those were the only really nice things I could say about the place. The service was ordinary; the decor was "TGI Friday's"-kitsch meets the wild, wild west; and, in the end, we spent nearly $40, including tip, on two burgers, a beer, and an iced tea.

These are NYC prices (or tourist trap prices), not small-town Colorado prices.

The downtown Idaho Springs area was nice, and the lady at the chocolate shop was a wealth of local information. I hope her business succeeds. I did take one photo, especially for Al the Mayor and all the other train-o-philes...

Apparently, Idaho Springs' mining operation was made possible with the addition of the railroad that ran through town, so they have a nice train exhibit set up down near the river there.

The Coors Brewery Tour was interesting and informative. The only other brewery tour that I'd taken was the one down in Shiner last spring at the Glee Club meet-up. I would have preferred a live tour guide instead of the canned electronic device...but, there was free beer, so who could complain? I did figure out how they managed to run such an efficient operation.

They have apparently purchased a team of "oompa-loompas" from Willy Wonka!

I also caught this photo, a result of my partner-in-crime bonding with the locals. Well, they asked him to take a picture of them, which he obliged....as did I. From the overheard conversation, they may have been in the local "entertainment" industry.

For all of you that wonder, it was good to know that Dale can still work his magic on the ladies.

Buckhorn Exchange was an experience-and-a-half. I know some of you like those "perspective" shots, so this is my attempt. The newspapers are the menus.

As you can plainly see, i95 was the first to the table.

I was first to meet BikerJim and will absolutely concur with Dale - he is a first-class dining companion and a fall-down funny guy.

Jim and I decided to split one of their specialty "steak for two" meals. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed when they brought me this.

Unfortunately, I tried my hardest to shoot these with no flash, and with the extremely low light in the restaurant it was a challenge. I tried to doctor them the best I could with PhotoShop. Normally, I don't post anything but my better pictures (or at least ones that are in-focus), but I really didn't think you all should miss out on this, so I hope you get the idea. My disappoint in my own plate soon turned when our waiter brought out this platter, which I can only describe as "hunk of dead cow."

Yes, I used the flash on this one. Check out the look on the guy's face in the background!

What remains is my HALF of that steak. In the iron crock is a mushroom/onion medley that they used to cover the steak.

Said steak is also smothered in butter. You guys wouldn't have liked it.

What was most amazing to me was that even with a steak that size, they managed to cook it to a perfect medium rare. It was about all I could do to finish.

The Three Amigos....(l-r - BikerJim, wanderingjew, The Travelin' Man)

The Buckhorn, at $65/pp was the most expensive meal of the trip....and worth every penny. Also, there is no argument to be made that this is not 100% authentic Roadfood.

Watching Dale walk around the Denver Gay Pride Festival - and wondering if anyone would spot him there - was a funny experience, but we did need to make it to the Rocky Mountain Diner, as Dale had mentioned to me previously that he has been dying to go there for upwards of ten years. I was looking forward to it.

RMD sits right in downtown Denver across from the Federal Courthouse.

For the architecture buffs in the crowd.

The food....well, the food was exceptionally ordinary.

Maybe it's just that anything would have been a let-down after The Fort and Buckhorn Exchange, but this was a very ordinary piece of chicken-fried steak, accompanied by OK mashed potatoes, OK vegetables, and a rock-hard inedible biscuit.

Dale described the ballpark in pretty realistic terms, but here are the photos.

You can see the tract housing in the background.

After wondering and wondering when I would see the snow-capped mountains, like you see on the Coors can, I finally managed to get that view....

....right on the way out of town!

Epilogue

The Highlights
  • Both The Fort and Buckhorn Exchange - I couldn't pick a winner between them if I had to.

• Hanging out with BikerJim and Mrs BikerJim

• Continental Deli and the Cherry Creek Farmer's Market - both places had lots of locally produced goods. I could have spent hours at either place, but, we ended up running short on time at both. I bought a "spicy Polish" from one of the vendors, made locally -with chips and a bottle of water for $5 - excellent!

• Larimer Square - in particular a place called, simply The Market. This place was fabulous - serving everything from coffee drinks, to sandwiches and hot entrees to desserts - all in a market-type atmosphere. Unfortunately, we didn't get to eat anything here as we were on our way to our pre-planned dinner, but I plan to make it back some time.

• The "fat chick" and the drunk guy on the bus. I couldn't have written that script. But, at one point, I leaned over and asked Dale "Is he a friend of yours?"

The Lowlights

• Well, pretty much everything else! Let's start with Homemade Heaven, which I don't think I need to recap my feelings on.

• The plain vanilla, gentrified "Yuppieville" that we found in both Denver and Colorado Springs. Denver was "Liberal Yuppieville" and Colorado Springs was "Conservative (Religious) Yuppieville." Neither town had any particular character, and, more importantly, neither did either of the ballparks.

• The price of ticket versus quality of seat issue at Coors Field. The seats we had were not $40 seats...especially when the people three rows behind us paid only $25.

• Not getting to see the Air Force Academy, which was mostly my fault, as I did not call or look online to see when their visitor's hours were. Again...it's OK...I'll be back some time.

Overall, not a bad first time to Colorado. I was happy to be out of a car for a little while as I headed off to Nashville and my meet-up with Poverty Pete....up next (well, it may be before or after Dale's ABQ write-up - not sure).

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/17/08 9:32 AM
quote:

Denver Wrap-up (conclusion)

Based on wanderingjew's comments above, I am going to say that he liked this place a lot more than I did. It wasn't bad, it just reminded me of all the uber-touristy places that we have here in central Florida. We usually laugh at the tourists that choose to eat there? Why? Because the meals are overpriced and unexceptional, but they do a good bit of advertising with the local hotels and convention folks.

I thought the restaurant's atmosphere fit in perfectly with the town itself - which to me came across as a "locals" tourist spot. A comparable analogy would be Newburyport or Rockport in the Boston area or Bardstown, south of Louisville KY. An area well known to residents of the surrounding area but not familiar with those from "out of town" - a day trip kind of place.

quote:
Overall, not a bad first time to Colorado. I was happy to be out of a car for a little while as I headed off to Nashville and my meet-up with Poverty Pete....up next (well, it may be before or after Dale's ABQ write-up - not sure).

I've got my Albuquerque photos uploaded and edited. I'll do a brief synopsis of Denver tonight and will start on Albuquerque tommorow- I should be done on Saturday after which "I'll pass the torch"

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/17/08 6:14 PM
Denver Synopsis

Best Meals

Again, no doubt The Buckhorn, and I think it slightly edged out The Fort for one reason- Pearl Onions as I indicated I'm not a fan of them

Pretty Darn Good

El Taco De Mexico was also a great meal but I think could have been elevated into an outstanding meal if I went for those Cheeks Meat Burritos. The green chile made all the difference in the world an I wish I had the opportunity to experience more since it's so prevelent in Denver.

I'm not sure why TTM would be so concerned of the tourist kitchy decor at The Buffalo Bar and Restaurant(TTM took me to the Orlando Alehouse which I thought looked much more touristy but despite that had a really good Mahi Sandwich)- this was also a really good meal, albeit somewhat expensive- but I'm not overly concerned about the cost of a meal especially if it was as decent as that- I've been to many roadfood restaurants that presented with touristy decor-some good- Tony Packos in Toledo comes to mind and some not so good like The Loveless Cafe in Nashville

OK

The Rocky Mountain Diner was kind of a letdown after waiting a decade to try the place- The Trout was good, the Buffalo Chili could have been good if it had...well alot more Buffalo meat in it and the biscuit was definetely forgettable..

Not So Good

Dead last- Homemade Heaven in Ogallala- great dessert, bad everything else.

TTM and I discussed the "Vanilla" like qualities of Colorado, I agree most of what we saw was pretty much the white side of Vanilla, the exception was the barrio where El Taco De Mexico was located. I know there are some really cool neighborhoods in Denver with a lot more character and we really just "scratched the surface" with only 2 full days in town.

I can't believe I completely forgot about The Market in Larimer Square- it's been around forever, and basically looks almost the same as it does when I first visited nearly 20 years ago.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Thu, 07/17/08 9:05 PM
Sunday June 22 The Land of Mañana aka Albuquerque

After a quick pit stop at Common Grounds, TTM and I headed back to Denver International Airport and parted ways.

I was heading back to the desert after a 13 year absence. It was somewhat bittersweet. The last time I was there was a brief overnight stop in 1996 to help my mother move and drive her car up to Albany NY. She initially moved to Albuquerque to live near my older brother (the middle child) back in 1987. Both have since left Albuquerque and both are now deceased.

Frustration began shortly after my one hour flight to Albuquerque. I arrived at the luggage carousel to get my luggage and as it so happens, there is luggage being loaded onto the carousel from at least 3 different flights simultaneously. Nearly a half hour passes before I’m able to grab my luggage. I then took the shuttle to the Hertz Rent a Car counter, to find out that my car “is not ready yet” but they’re more than willing to rent me a mini van for the same price in the meantime, I said “thanks but no thanks” and waited almost another half hour for my compact car.

Finally at almost 2pm I was ready to hit the road to Bert’s Burger Bowl in Santa Fe- yes? Not quite. As soon as I left the confines of Metro Albuquerque I hit the nastiest gridlock you could imagine-I got the feeling something was EERILY WRONG- I noticed there was no south bound traffic coming on the other side of I 25. A few cars in front and behind me were starting to cross over the grassy median to go back the other way- I always criticize other people when I see them trying to make a U-turn on an interstate highway, but this time I couldn’t think of a reason not to- so I did and returned back towards Albuquerque- When I returned back to my hotel later that afternoon- I found out that someone TOOK OUT A MOTORCYCLIST- hence the heinous back up.

I shuffled my schedule and went to Sadie’s in Albuquerque. I was really hungry by this time- hence another snag- despite that its now 2:30 pm there’s going to be 35-40 minute wait. I was given one of those light up pagers, ok I’ll wait, but now I’m hungry and pissed off- What’s that I see over on the other side of the parking lot?

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/360199319_d6ffe776c2.jpg?v=0[/img]

(not my photo- got this photo off of flickr)

Blakes Lottaburger
I’m hungry, I wanted a green chile cheeseburger and I’m going for it even though I’m going to be sitting down for lunch in half an hour. I walked across the parking, my burger was actually made to order and served wrapped in paper. This was a respectable burger- it did the trick, it had enough kick to get the endorphins going.

After gobbling up my burger, I returned to Sadie’s and wouldn’t you know it the beeper they gave me went off. The place was packed, Latinos and Anglos alike. I ordered the Carne Adovada dinner. My chips and Salsa arrived. The Warm Fresh Chips and spicy salsa was very reminiscent of what was served at the now defunct M & J restaurant. I ordered the Carne Adovada Blue Corn Enchiladas which comes with beans and sopapillas. This is where the fun starts- the meal arrives- but I don’t have a fork, I asked one of the bus boys for a fork- he basically ignored me- I actually had to walk up and find another waitress to request one because my waiter was no where to be found. Also where’s the Sopapillas? My waiter actually returned with a fork and I asked for some sopapillas too. My waiter did end up bringing back one sopapilla. Ok, it was busy, but my waiter could have been more apologetic.

Considering the lack of good service, the meal itself made up for it ten fold. The heat of the meal could only be described as insatiable, a certain quality unique only to New Mexico. I drizzled honey from the squeeze bottle inside the hot Sopapilla, I thought about asking for more, but honestly between the Green Chile Burger, and the big plate of Enchiladas, I was stuffed. I sat there for a while waiting and waiting for my check, luckily my waiter was nearby when the busboy asked if I wanted more ice tea, I replied (loud enough for my waiter to hear) “no that’s ok” I’m just waiting for the check. The waiter got the hint and brought my check over. I left a 15% tip, yes it was busy, but the service could have been a little more apologetic, probably one of the best meals of the trip, but this guy was runner up for the worst service award.

After my gut- busting lunch, I checked into my hotel and relaxed a bit. I got to Isotopes Park, home of the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes early, to get a ticket and ensure a good seat. Free parking!
I took some photos of the Ballpark. Like Yankee stadium, this ballpark underwent an extensive renovation from the frame up, however this renovation took place in the earlier part of this decade. It looks nothing like its former self and now has a southwestern- art deco style.

I had some time to kill and decided to head to Central Avenue Downtown aka Route 66 to see how much it changed over the last decade and a half. What used to be a “dead downtown” has been replaced with bars and restaurants, I will definitely be returning after the Ballgame..

I returned to the ballpark. The Isotopes were hosting the Iowa Cubs. Inside the park, there’s an amazing view of the Sandia Mountains.

This was quite an interesting game, the Isotope’s fielding was horrible- the pitching was fine. Throughout the game, there were probably close to a dozen times that someone in the out field or infield dropped an easy catch. Despite all of this, to my amazement, there were only 2 errors charged against the Isotopes. The Cubs obviously won that evening.

Here's the isotope's mascot- Orbit

In between innings, we were provided entertainment by the traveling nerd “Myron Noodleman”. Apparently he goes to the various minor league parks to entertain the fans with his nerd like antics.

After the game, I returned to Central Avenue downtown. The wind was starting to pick up and it seemed like a sandstorm was a brewin. Downtown was hopping for Sunday night- cop cars everywhere to stop “the cruising” Interesting crowd- picture the Lowriders versus the University of New Mexico (UNM) Crowd I stopped at a Brew Pub called Chama River Brewing.- TTM would have liked this place- it certainly had character- it looked like someone set up a brewpub in their basement- in fact it was about the size of a basement. The only fare on the menu was a bag of chips. I was talking with the Bartender and found out that this is an offshoot of their main location, which is more “corporate” and “cookie cutter”and out in the burbs. I ordered the hefeweisen- probably the best beer of the trip.

At this point it was getting somewhat late, so I called it a night and returned to my hotel

More tommorow.

Blakes Lotaburger
6210 4th street NW
Albuquerque NM 87107

Sadie's
6230 4th Street NW
Albuquerque NM 87107

Isotopes Park
1601 Avenida Cesar Chavez
Albuquerque NM 87106

Chama River Brewing
106 2nd Street SW
Albuquerque NM 87102

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/18/08 7:46 AM
I've really been enjoying following the main trip and side trips from each of you! Great photos of food and sights! Blakes Lottaburger is my secret indulgence. Whenever I am in NM I always stop at the one in Bernalillo for a quick fix on my way to Santa Fe where I then stick to NM fare. I must try Sadies next trip, we don't spend much time in ABQ anymore but it might be worth a stay.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/18/08 8:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I've really been enjoying following the main trip and side trips from each of you! Great photos of food and sights! Blakes Lottaburger is my secret indulgence. Whenever I am in NM I always stop at the one in Bernalillo for a quick fix on my way to Santa Fe where I then stick to NM fare. I must try Sadies next trip, we don't spend much time in ABQ anymore but it might be worth a stay.

Kland, I definetely recommend Sadie's. It was my best meal in Albuquerque. Keep in mind it seems like Sadie's is always busy, even during off hours, I just hope the service you receive was better than mine.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/18/08 11:47 AM
I want you guys to know that this trip report is just insane. This is possibly the best thing I've ever read on Roadfood. Thank you, for doing it, for taking the pictures, and for writing about it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Fri, 07/18/08 9:47 PM
Monday June 23- Albuquerque

After surfing the net at the hotel computer I decided to check out 2 coffee houses that morning
My first stop before breakfast was Java Joe’s, near downtown. The coffee house itself had a nice atmosphere but I found that the coffee itself did not offer a full bodied taste.

My breakfast stop was at The Harvest Café at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. It appeared the cultural center was undergoing some sought of renovation as there was a lot of heavy construction inside the building.

I ordered the Huevos New Mexico. Eggs served on corn tortillas with Green Chili and Carne Adovada. I was disappointed that posole was no longer served with the meal. I also ordered a side of fry bread. The Main Dish was just as good as I remembered and gave me a morning “pick me up”if the coffee didn’t, however the fry bread besides being smaller than I recall, just didn’t taste the same way, first it was served luke warm at best and it wasn’t as soft and billowy as I remember, so that was somewhat of a disappointment.

After breakfast, I stopped at the local coffeehouse chain, Satellite Coffee in the “trendy” Nob Hill Neighborhood on Central (Route 66) . Obviously the atmosphere was more corporate, the coffee was slightly stronger but still lacking that “full body”.

I strolled the Nob Hill Neighborhood for a bit exploring some of the shops. I spotted a brewpub called Kelly’s which I decided I would return to visit later that evening.

Apprehensively, I made my way back up to Sante Fe, I was hoping to visit Bobcat Bite, but unlike Mr. Go with the Flow, I didn't want to be met with a
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/156566400_714503e029.jpg?v=0[/img]

so I actually checked in advance to see if they were open and I found out they’re closed Sundays and Mondays, so I went to Bert’s Burger Bowl.

This Green Chili Cheeseburger was definitely a shade or two above the one served at Blake’s Lota burger which was also good- but this was exceptional, the dripping cheese providing a backdrop for the spicy green chiles.

Ooh and those hot crispy golden onion rings-wow!

After lunch, I walked around the plaza in Santa Fe. Native Americans are selling their wares. I looked at a few Turquoise necklaces but didn’t buy anything. Just about anything can be bartered down.

I guess this is where the original frito pie was first served

You can see the Native American's sitting and selling their wares

It looked like a rain storm was approaching so I headed back to my car. Sure enough on the way back to Albuquerque I ended up driving through some pretty heavy rain, but that was short lived, and I made it back to “Sunny Albuquerque” by late afternoon.

I decided to explore the Petroglyphs. Located on Albuquerque’s west mesa, these are etchings carved into extinct volcano’s by Native Americans. The park was surprisingly desolate and it was getting close to closing time. Being alone I was wondering if there might be a rattle snake or two lurking near me. I started to explore a two mile round trip trail . About half way through, I heard something on the ground- I didn’t know what it was- it could have been a cicada or ?????
I bolted, ok I didn’t bolt, but I ended up walking back quickly the other way back towards my car- I know- what a wuss!

Here's the Sandia Mountains

By this time, I was getting hungry again and dinner time was approaching, after a brief stroll around the University of New Mexico area (UNM) I headed to El Norteno for dinner.

My meal started off with the obligatory Chips and Salsa and also included a side of exceptional Guacomole, the salsa was good, but milder than Sadie’s.

I decided to order a Horchata- I never had one before. This rice-milk concoction tasted like a refreshing light milkshake it really hit the spot.

Still having that craving for Posole, I decided to go with that for my main meal. I got a huge bowl of thick spicy red stew, loaded with Posole and Pork. I really enjoyed my meal here.

The service was far superior to that at Sadie’s but then again there was a smaller crowd, however I think overall, Sadie’s had an edge over El Norteno, however I’m glad I made it here and I’m sorry to hear about their recent fire.

My last stop of the night was Kelly’s Brewerey and Restaurant-yet another yuppie brew pub. The difference with this brewpub was they also serve other craft brews along with their own. I’ll be honest, I don’t even remembered what I ordered, probably had something to do with the apathetic bartender, she had the personality of a wet mop. After one beer, I was ready to call it a night. I was heading back home the next day and little did I know- it was going to be FUN.

WOW- we've come a long way since "Chicken and Pancakes" haven't we??

The short final chapter and synopsis tommorow

Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
2401 12 Street NW
Albuquerque NM 87104

Burts Burger Bowl
235 N Guadalupe
Santa Fe NM 87501

Petroglyph Park
6900 Unser Blvd NW
Albuquerque NM 87120

El Norteno
6416 Zuni Road SE
Albquerque NM 87108

Kelly's Brewery
3222 Central Avenue
Albuquerque NM 87106

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 9:54 AM
Tuesday June 24- Albuquerque and the Hellish Trip Home

I was glad my flight leaving Albuquerque wasn't too early at 9:30am
That gave me a chance to hit my last "official" stop of the trip, The Frontier Restaurant for breakfast.

Funny, I lived in Albuquerque for 6 months right after college back in 1987, I visited at least once or twice a year through 1995 and I never made it there once. I walked in and checked the place out.
Photos and other relics paying homage to "The Duke" himself, John Wayne

Voted best breakfast burrito, by local polls, I knew what I was getting.

Loaded with eggs, cheddar, hash browns, green chile...and..for a little extra- carne adovada, there is no doubt those polls were right..

I made one last pit stop at Satellite Coffee in the university area and headed back to drop off my rental at the Airport or in Albuquerque terms "The Sunport"

The flight from Albuqerque to Houston was nothing out of the ordinary I arrived in Houston and noticed my flight to Cleveland was going to be 20 minutes late. Still no big deal- plenty of time to make my connection. It was now lunch time and I noticed a "Harlan's BBQ" in the food court- ok, I've never heard of them but I'm at the Airport and most likely wouldn't find anything better. I ordered the BBQ combo plate- brisket-ribs-sausage. And wouldn't ya know, it was a helluva improvement over Arthur Bryants 9 days earlier. Authentic or not- It wasn't bad at all..Sorry no photos

I return to the flight monitor after lunch and noticed my flight is now delayed an hour! That's not good- that means I'm going to miss my connection in Cleveland back to Providence. I head over to Continental Customer Service, and they tell me the only thing they can do is re-route me through Newark, however that flight was running late too- but even with running late, it would still get me in well over an hour before my connecting flight to Providence so I took my chances, the only catch- Instead of arriving in Providence at 9pm (so I could go to work the next day), I would be arriving at 11pm and my luggage would be arriving the next day (ok-still no big deal)...

I grabbed an Iced Coffee at Starbucks (not many choices at the Airport) and sat down since I had at least a half hour before boarding would begin, a couple of minutes later something told me to get up and check the flight monitor, my flight to Newark was "now boarding"- no PA announcements- Nothing- I dashed across two terminals and made it in time. Despite the fact that we were supposed to be taking off in like 15 minutes, the flight was unusally empty- apparently others like myself must still assume that the flight has been delayed....sure enough, eventually those people got on board, and then of course the announcement is made that the flight is going to be delayed...again...due to "weather"

We finally take off, and hit some fairly rough turbulence around the Memphis area. What was really cool was I able to watch our flight path on the video monitor in front of my seat- I've never seen that before.

I arrived in Newark, with plenty of time for my next flight. It was now dinner time- There was an "enclosed diner style restaurant" called Garden City Diner- I reviewed their menu and they had an Italian Style Hotdog served with fries- believe it or not, my biggest concern was getting served frozen vs fresh cut fries- I opted for Nathan's instead- Two Hot Dogs with Sauerkraut and Mustard and Nathan's Famous Fries- yes, it's not the original location in Coney Island but it did the trick (Sorry no photos) I then realized I began my trip with a hot dog at Midway in Chicago and Ended my trip with Hotdogs in Newark-
how ironic!

Well...the fun only gets better....right before we were supposed to board in Newark, they announce that even though our plane is there waiting for us- our flight crew is late- which means we're going to be delayed by 30 minutes. finally, we board 45 minutes late- and they announce that since we were late getting out- we're number 24 for take off...after our short 36 minute flight to Providence, I finally got home at almost 1AM- of course without my luggage.....

I ended up calling in to work the next morning to advise I would be taking half a day and coming in after lunch. The airline did call me that morning and advised my luggage would be in by 10am- luckily I'm only 4 miles from the airport!

Lessons learned
-Never allow more than one layover
-Always take the next day off from work

Frontier Restaurant
2400 Central Avenue SE
Albuquerque NM 87106

Albuquerque Synposis

I didn't have a bad meal here....

Ironically the best meal , Sadie's- also had the worst service but I'm blaming that on the fact that they were packed!

The only real dissapointment if you could call it that was the Fry Bread at the Harvest Cafe in the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center..
and the fact that I couldn't find a stellar cup of coffee...

However the coffee situation is about to change...

I found a great website (kind of like the Roadfood of Coffee) with a
forum for those looking for great coffee houses not only around the country but around the world

[url]www.coffeegeek.com[/url]

Thats it for me....

The torch has now been passed

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 9:58 AM
What a super job...looked at those pictures twice,,,that breakfast was something!!!!

MiamiDon
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 10:06 AM
Bravo! Great trip report. I found myself wondering whether you were in the Newark airport while Ellen4641 was at the hot dog place, but then I realized that you got back on June 24th! Isn't it time for you to go on another trip?

By the way, where was the green chile with the Huevos New Mexico at the Harvest? Was it served on the side? That looked like a great (but filling!) breakfast, except for the poor example of fry bread.

I enjoyed the trip to the Isotopes ball park, as they are a farm team for the Marlins.

wanderingjew
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 10:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Bravo! Great trip report. I found myself wondering whether you were in the Newark airport while Ellen4641 was at the hot dog place, but then I realized that you got back on June 24th! Isn't it time for you to go on another trip?

By the way, where was the green chile with the Huevos New Mexico at the Harvest? Was it served on the side? That looked like a great (but filling!) breakfast, except for the poor example of fry bread.

I enjoyed the trip to the Isotopes ball park, as they are a farm team for the Marlins.

Don,

The Green Chili is actually served over the Carne Adovada...believe it or not, there are corn tortillas beneath the Carne Adovada and Eggs- you just can't see them....I also realized (this is my fault)
I should have ordered those eggs "over easy" versus "over hard"

My next trip is 4 weeks away- it's only going to be a weekend trip to the New Nationals Ballpark in DC and a final Homage to Yankee Stadium in Da Bronx.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 11:06 AM
This is such an epic report. Thanks for sharing, Dale. What an adventure!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 12:05 PM
I don't know how you stadia touring folks can stay away from Cooper Stadium on Monday, July 21, where the Columbus Clippers play in the International League. It's Dime-A-Dog night on Monday, and there'll be just a couple of more such nights during this last season for The Coop.

mayor al
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sat, 07/19/08 3:11 PM

Nice job, Dale. I like Mexican food a lot, but if I had used it as my main diet-entry(entree?) for several days as you did, I don't think I would have been welcomed by many of my fellow-travelers on a flight. And for sure, the aircraft would have made up ALL lost time enroute!! Just look for the green contrail across the evening sky!

OK TTM, We want to know your side of the story we've already had hints about in Nashville and the Derby City!!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/20/08 10:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

This is such an epic report. Thanks for sharing, Dale. What an adventure!

What a great way to describe it...epic. I can't believe how many places you hit and how well documented everything was/is. Thanks for the supreme effort to share your adventures with all of us.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/20/08 11:33 AM
Great wrap-up, WJ!! My mouth is watering for some authentic Southwestern food right now.

catosaurus
RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga - Sun, 07/20/08 5:56 PM
I've so enjoyed checking in on this thread every day, hoping (and being pleasantly satisfied) when an update has been posted. It's been almost like a vacation for me. I'm extremely glad that WJ and TTM took the time to document their adventures (both in dining and sight-seeing) for us. I'll miss seeing new supplements!

I just love this website and its posters!

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 121 to 180 of 219