Great Pizza In/Around Seattle?

Cheeseburger
2008/06/19 23:34:30
I'm moving to Kent, WA hopefully by October of this year, as soon as I get my national certification at work. I've visited briefly, but only had Pizza Hut (had my 11 yr old son with me, and he wanted a pizza buffet, lol) and A Pizza Mart, which had surprisingly good delivery pizza, but was expensive. I would rather make my own than pay $30 for 1 pizza, 10 wings, a 2 liter and breadsticks (for a restaurant visit, I actually don't mind paying more....but just to eat in my hotel room it's a bit spendy).

There's Round Table pizza there, and a lot of small chains, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions??

BTW: Although I love REAL pizza (I grew up in the New Haven area), I love pizza so much that even bad pizza is good pizza, lol....so if you have a local chain out there you've had and enjoyed, let me know...it doesn't have to be coal-fired or include fancy ingredients or fresh mozzarella (but if it does....BONUS!!!).
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/20 07:29:00
Although I've never been to Seattle, I've seen these recommended on Pizzamaking.com:
Via Tribunali (in the 900's on E. Pike St.)

Tutta Bella pizzeria

SERIOUS PIE
316 Virginia Street, Seattle,

Pizzeria Fondi
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/20 07:44:38
You are in a bad spot for pizza.

If you must, try Piecorra's. (Being from New Haven, I give Piecorra's a C- (still best bet in Seattle.)

Other places the locals like (such as Northlake Tavern) for thick crust and "lots of ingredients" piled on the pie.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/20 08:19:52
Wait 'til wanderingjew sees this thread!
deeoh01
Hamburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/20 09:00:04
Try Serious Pie. It's Tom Douglas' pizza joint and is excellent.

http://tomdouglas.com/serious/index.html
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/21 01:40:57
Seattle has some great places to eat, but for Pizza fans, whether NY thin crust or Chicago deep dish styles, there aren't a lot of top notch options, in my view.

Here's where yo can get some of the better pizza.

http://www.pagliacci.com/index.shtml

Pagliacci has several locations, three around the University of Washington area and one in Bellevue Square on the East Side. The pizza is reasonably close to NY style.

Northlake Tavern has a thicker crust, although certainly not a deep dish by any stretch of the imagination. It uses excellent ingredients (the pepperoni is some of the best I can remember anywhere). The place tends to be very busy during evening hours.

http://www.northlaketavern.com/

uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/25 20:42:08
I had one of the best pizza's I've ever had at Serious Pie. Not THE best, but up there. I was admittedly surprised.
Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/28 00:06:39
Thanks to everyone on the feedback:)
beijinger
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/06/28 00:21:37
Find a papa murphy's yes they are a chain.Order one of their beauties (they don't cook on premises). It's all take and bake. I rate them at 8 + and one of few excellent pizza's i've found in Washington. It's not Pepe's quality but darn good after a 3000 mile trip.
WarToad
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/01 12:28:30
Hey Navy,

I just moved from the Seattle/Bellevue area about 2 months ago after a 8 year stay.

Give Pagliacci's a shot. After being disappointed time after time, I stumbled upon Pagliacci's and it bacame my go-to place for a consistantly excellent pizza. And if you're a pepperoni fan, try the "Salumi's Spicy Pepperoni". They use Salumi's pepperoni, a Seattle artisional cured meats shop run by Mario Batali's family. Hands down amazing pepperoni.

www.pagliacci.com
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/01 12:38:48
Being originally from NY, I had the missopportunity of living in Seattle for 3 years....3 years of hell, I might add, sure the area was beautiful and scenic, but that's where it all ended...

Unless something miraculously changed in the 12 1/2 years since I left- there simply was nothing that I would define as "great" "good" or even "mediocre" pizza in Seattle- it was allHORRIBLE with a "capital H" .

I gave many many many many many places chance, some a few chances- and each and every time I was dissapointed.

I think Pagliacci was one of the first pizza joints I visited-and like a masochist- I came back a handful of times and each time was no better than the last....
zataar
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/01 13:17:09
I really like Serious Pie. We had terrific pizza there.

Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/15 01:30:05
Thanks on the papa murphys thing....I used to live in Oregon and have been in love with their take-n-bake for 13 years, lol! And thanks for the Pagliacci's suggestion: I visited Salumi during my brief stay with my kiddo, and we loved everything we tried. Will have to try the pepperoni!
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/21 15:47:48
I lived in Renton/Kirkland/Bellevue for several years, and I agree, that's a bad area for pizza. The best "chain" I found was Jet City Pizza, always got the roasted garlic crust. Better than the rest I tried.
Round Table is just ok, I think the one I went to was in Tukwila, just north of Kent. Not memorable in any way.
There are also Pizza Time shops around, and they're not bad in a pinch and are inexpensive, you just have to cook them longer at home to crisp them up, then they're a bit better.

And unless you go to a Wing Dome or the Kirkland Roaster, forget about good chicken wings, or even halfway decent ones.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/21 16:00:49
quote:
Originally posted by SeamusD

And unless you go to a Wing Dome or the Kirkland Roaster, forget about good chicken wings, or even halfway decent ones.

The Kirkland Roaster is long gone...(at least 5 years or more)

It turned into a hawaiian brewpub which then turned into an Irish Pub
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/21 16:07:51
Navy_Brat913, You may end up eternally disappointed with Seattle pizza if you compare it to the best of New Haven. I'm working in the Have this summer and have been eating pizza as often as possible. I'd mail you some, but I doubt it ships very well...

Good luck in your quest! Chris
Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/07/23 14:32:31
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian

Navy_Brat913, You may end up eternally disappointed with Seattle pizza if you compare it to the best of New Haven. I'm working in the Have this summer and have been eating pizza as often as possible. I'd mail you some, but I doubt it ships very well...

Good luck in your quest! Chris

Lol, although I grew up with some of the best, we rarely got it because my father is one of those wierd ppl who doesn't care for pizza. So......most of my pizza memories were formed AFTER leaving CT...although my sub sandwich memories will never meet my childhood standards, lol.

I also make homemade pizza, my only issue with that is that I have yet to find a homemade pizza sauce recipe that comes close to most mom & pop pizzerias.....most are too seasoned, not seasoned enough, or marinara, lol. I love marinara, btw, but on my pasta, not on my pizza
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/08/20 14:49:36
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by SeamusD

The Kirkland Roaster is long gone...(at least 5 years or more)

It turned into a hawaiian brewpub which then turned into an Irish Pub

Really? That's a shame. I had an office in the same block a couple doors down, and would go there frequently for lunch or dinner. It must have gone out of business shortly after I moved back to NY.

It was great having several good restaurants in a few block area there... Jalisco, Roaster, 21 Central, I even frequented Taco Del Mar and Wing Dome. I miss that office.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/10/20 06:00:21
quote:
Originally posted by Navy_Brat913

I'm moving to Kent, WA hopefully by October of this year, as soon as I get my national certification at work. I've visited briefly, but only had Pizza Hut (had my 11 yr old son with me, and he wanted a pizza buffet, lol) and A Pizza Mart, which had surprisingly good delivery pizza, but was expensive. I would rather make my own than pay $30 for 1 pizza, 10 wings, a 2 liter and breadsticks (for a restaurant visit, I actually don't mind paying more....but just to eat in my hotel room it's a bit spendy).

There's Round Table pizza there, and a lot of small chains, but I don't know where to start. Anyone have any suggestions??

BTW: Although I love REAL pizza (I grew up in the New Haven area), I love pizza so much that even bad pizza is good pizza, lol....so if you have a local chain out there you've had and enjoyed, let me know...it doesn't have to be coal-fired or include fancy ingredients or fresh mozzarella (but if it does....BONUS!!!).

vince's italian resturants (4 locations- rainier beach, renton highlands, burien and federal way. dine-in or take out, no delivery) has very good pizza that is closer to east coast pizza than pagliacci, imho.
collinf
Cheeseburger
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/10/20 10:06:29
I've found Round Table to be very good for a chain pizza, but they vary depending on who is running them. As with nearly all franchised restaurants, some are better than others. The quality control is not there across the entire company.
doggydaddy
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/10/20 10:29:24
quote:
Originally posted by Navy_Brat913

Thanks on the papa murphys thing....I used to live in Oregon and have been in love with their take-n-bake for 13 years,===

There are two tricks that help make Papa Murphy's a little better.
First, order a medium pizza and have them place it on a large sized bottom. At home you can gently stretch and work the dough to the edges of the 'pan', creating a thinner crust.
Halfway through baking, slide the pie off the pan and directly onto the oven rack or a stone. This will create a crisp crust.
I think one other suggestion is to avoid the sausage pellets.

mark
doggydaddy
RE: Great Pizza In/Around Seattle? 2008/10/20 10:55:26

I know that this may throw some fuel into a fire, but there is some very good pizza on the West Coast. Hey, I was raised for my younger years in Connecticut. There were plenty of fine pizza joints in Norwalk and Westport, and I went to N.Y. every other week. As a teen, I brought a pizza on board as a carry on luggage back to California. I have always appreciated the difference.

I do have some favorites in The Bay Area that are very popular with the locals due to quality, flavor and atmosphere. They aren't the same as the Eastern style, but they are very good. It's been a while and I don't know how the pizza scene is on the West Coast, but one thing I do remember was that there are more fresh ingredients used on the pies back home.
I am surprised that some of the most famous N.H. pizzerias use canned mushrooms.

mark