This is what BBQ beans should look like

Junior Burger
2008/06/20 12:54:18
Anyone ever check out Smoque in Chicago? I didn't see anything about them nor have I been there but I just saw their baked beans on FoodTV and I'm ready to start a feeding frenzy. I'm in East Tn and most people's baked beans are some kind of soupy looking concoction. And yes Bush Bean's is from here. Anyway check out the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-oobRhesU

Caveat, I did not record or post the above clip and have no idea if it is posted with permission of FoodTV, I just found it on YouTube.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: This is what BBQ beans should look like 2008/06/20 23:56:15
I'm a frequent patron at Smoque and a good friend to Barry Sorkin, one of the owners. They do a great job on all their food, particularly on their sides. In addition to the excellent beans, they've got some over the top mac & cheese. Creamy and rich with great flavor and wonderful crunchy browned bread crumb topping. Their fries are outstanding as well. They do a fresh cut, skin on style, twice fried and perfectly seasoned.

The slaw is a vinegar based version with fresh cut, crisp cabbage and red onion to give the flavor an extra facet not found in most cole slaws. Some of the locals have objected to the slaw on the grounds that the very light and refreshing vinegar dressing makes it more like a cabbage salad than a traditional slaw. As far as I am concerned this is exactly why I like it. It breaks the mold for the typical slaw served in most 'Que houses.

I have found that the brisket and the pulled pork are best values. Smoque does some excellent ribs and chicken, but the portion sizes just don't compare to what you get with the other meats offered. They just recently added some excellent Texas style smoked sausage which are also a great value.

Buddy