Bone-in Filet Mignon

Post
Foodbme
Porterhouse
2008/06/24 11:27:46
Today's "Restaurant of the Day", Moishe's in Montreal, features a bone-in filet mignon. This is a candidate for "Dave Letterman's "Know your cuts of meat"!!! I've never seen or heard of a bone-in filet mignon either in a restaurant, meat market or supermarket. Is this cut something new or old? I can't even envision what one would look like. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of it? Tell me what you know about this animal!!
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 11:55:52
I agree FBM since to me the term "Filet Mignon" means the cut from the tenderloin and there's no bones there, maybe in Canada it's the same name but from a diffrent cut of meat?

Ahh now I see the error of my ways, this is the loin part of a T-bone or Porterhouse as opposed to the strip part.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 12:16:06
Here in Dallas, most all of the so called, "prime" upscale steakhouses serve a bone-in filet. Pricey, too!
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 12:22:34
I want to know how much it cost.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 12:28:17
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Here in Dallas, most all of the so called, "prime" upscale steakhouses serve a bone-in filet. Pricey, too!


I can imagine. You're not only paying for the filet, but also the bone weight!
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 12:28:38
I agree with you Foodbme. The filet mignon is the boneless cut from the smaller end of the tenderloin. As you know the large end of the tenderloin runs thru the T-bone and Porterhouse cuts of steaks too.

This looks more like the butcher's way to get $30 per lb plus for a cut of meat that would normally sell for less than half of that. Plus get $30 or more for the bone too.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 13:00:48
My brother has had one at Jeff Ruby's in Cincy and loved it.
LindaW
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 13:02:54
Take a porterhouse.....remove the NY strip, leave the filet attached...and then hack off part of the bone....that will give you a bone in filet....it's becoming very trendy as the bone keeps the filet juicy....which due to the leanness of the filet...might be appreciated.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 13:17:52
At Bob's Chophouse in Dallas, I think they charge $49.00 for a 12oz. bone-in filet. On my last visit there, ( with Ellen) my 16oz. bone-in (prime) NY strip was $49.00.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 16:23:34
I think I may need to get up to Montreal immediately!!!!
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 16:34:23
I second Jeff Ruby's my wife and I went to the PRECINCT and she had "jeff ruby's gem" 18 oz bone in filet!! it was the best cut of steak she's ever eaten bar none!!
jman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 16:42:29
quote:
Originally posted by dannybotz

...she had "jeff ruby's gem" 18 oz bone in filet!! it was the best cut of steak she's ever eaten bar none!!


I can't believe she hate the whole thing!
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/24 16:42:57
That piece of meat, and everything that the Sterns enjoyed with it, looks fantastic.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 09:26:34
Hey, how can I get back to that 'MOISHE'S" restaurant review? I never had a chance to read it.
And when I look for it under "search restaurants of the day", there are only US STATES listed!!!

All I was able to do was to go online to their steakhouse, and read their menu (or try to read their menu anyway; all that French style was hard to understand!)

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 09:31:42
Under the heading states, look for International.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 13:05:26
I don't know that I would fall for this gimmick. A BONE in a filet mignon? Must be a rib bone. If I wanted that, I'd eat a porterhouse. Isn't that the whole point of getting a filet mignon (which I don't like because it's tender but tasteless)?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 13:30:17
Finally some sanity!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 19:25:51
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I don't know that I would fall for this gimmick. A BONE in a filet mignon? Must be a rib bone. If I wanted that, I'd eat a porterhouse. Isn't that the whole point of getting a filet mignon (which I don't like because it's tender but tasteless)?

You've got a good point..... cause that is the main reason I usually don't get the filet, cause I too, find it tender and tasteless.

So, initially, I got excited seeing this bone-in filet!
I thought, finally, a filet with some taste from the bone!!!
I was about to fall for this "gimmick" , as well..
until YOU, lleechef , made me come to my senses!
Minds' well just get the porterhouse, like you said!

I'll take the 32 ounce porterhouse, please...
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 20:07:01
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641


I'll take the 32 ounce porterhouse, please...



Hey! I had one of those. It was at the "Top of the Mart" in Springfield, Il in 1977. It was a great! I eat the whole thing, tator and salad. They served a great salad with just a dry crumbed bleu-cheese on top. I can't eat that much any more. OH! the price was only $10 then, without drinks.

Anyone know if this restaurant is still in business?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/26 21:25:05
quote:
Originally posted by edwmax

quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641


I'll take the 32 ounce porterhouse, please...



Hey! I had one of those. It was at the "Top of the Mart" in Springfield, Il in 1977. It was a great! I eat the whole thing, tator and salad. They served a great salad with just a dry crumbed bleu-cheese on top. I can't eat that much any more. OH! the price was only $10 then, without drinks.

Anyone know if this restaurant is still in business?


Ah! The good old days, when men were men & women were women and gas was 29.9 cents!
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/29 15:44:01
I dont like filet mignon give me a good porterhouse or t-bone anyday, I love to ganw on the bone and suck the marrow out too.

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/29 15:47:20
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

My brother has had one at Jeff Ruby's in Cincy and loved it.


I have never had one at Ruby's, but ANY steak os good at Ruby's. Dry aged, hand cut (drooling now)

I like the "Precinct" over "Jeff Ruby's" both are ruby places but the Precinct has better charm
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/30 08:40:13
quote:
Originally posted by edwmax

quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641


I'll take the 32 ounce porterhouse, please...



Hey! I had one of those. It was at the "Top of the Mart" in Springfield, Il in 1977. It was a great! I eat the whole thing, tator and salad. They served a great salad with just a dry crumbed bleu-cheese on top. I can't eat that much any more. OH! the price was only $10 then, without drinks.



That's $35.75 in inflation-adjusted dollars.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/06/30 09:23:41
The first "bone-in" cut (aside from Porterhouse) I ever saw was circa 1991 a bone-in rib-eye at The Red Sage in D.C. Delicious!

Now "bone-in" rib-eyes and filets are featured by all the "high end" steak joints here in Dallas. Sure, it's another way to squeeze a few more $$$ of profit by selling "sizzle" and extra weight. But, hey: IT'S AMERICA! Nothing wrong with informed, consensual transactions between consenting adults.
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/01 18:11:52
I got a bone in filet mignon the other night....and the restaurant threw in a strip steak for free.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/01 18:21:42
USDA Prime Dry-Aged Bone-In Filet Mignon
Although you don't see this cut very often, it's well on its way to becoming a new classic steak, judging from the way it is showing up on leading steakhouse menus and capturing the taste buds of in-the-know steak lovers.

What exactly is a bone-in filet? Aren’t filets always boneless, you may ask? Not anymore.

Cut a Porterhouse steak in half through the bone and you get a bone-in strip steak and a bone-in filet mignon—both USDA prime and dry-aged to perfection.

This is the quintessential cut for those who prefer the tenderness of a filet mignon, but yearn for the added flavor imparted by cooking with the bone intact.

http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=234

Works for me...Russ
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/01 21:52:37
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Now "bone-in" rib-eyes and filets are featured by all the "high end" steak joints here in Dallas. Sure, it's another way to squeeze a few more $$$ of profit by selling "sizzle" and extra weight.

Good point, Metroplex Jim... as I was on the "bone-in" ribeye craze for awhile myself. However, lately, I'm finding myself defaulting more and more to my boneless NY Strip. There's often still some decent marbling with the NYC Strip, (inc. nice crusted edges), and it just feels like I'm getting a thicker, meatier piece.

(as much as I love gnawing on that bone, that bone "weight factor" DOES take up space) . That's why if I do still order a cut with the bone, I make sure it's a nice big size, like 28 ounces, or 32 ounces, so I don't feel the weight of the bone as much.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/01 22:00:02
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

I got a bone in filet mignon the other night....and the restaurant threw in a strip steak for free.


You sneaky Devil, you! Let me guess----I'll bet they called it a Porterhouse!
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/01 23:17:02
One possibility: Is Moishe's of Montreal kosher? If it is, I believe (and I'm definitely not certain about this) that the cut of meat that we all call filet mignon cannot be served in a kosher restaurant due to it's location in the animal. Instead, they serve the eye of the rib steak as their "filet". In that case, it would be easy to serve it "bone in".

Can anyone confirm this?
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/02 21:54:31
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

I got a bone in filet mignon the other night....and the restaurant threw in a strip steak for free.


You sneaky Devil, you! Let me guess----I'll bet they called it a Porterhouse!



Thank you...Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the Veal.
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/05 16:00:23
i'm not convinced that having a bone next to a piece of meat is going to "impart" any flavor to the meat, or that it keeps the meat "juicy". i'm relatively certain that's poppycock when you're cooking a steak quickly and at high temps.

i would think that cooking, the maillard reaction, aging, and seasoning (s and p) add more flavor than does a cold bone.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/05 16:32:19
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

One possibility: Is Moishe's of Montreal kosher? If it is, I believe (and I'm definitely not certain about this) that the cut of meat that we all call filet mignon cannot be served in a kosher restaurant due to it's location in the animal. Instead, they serve the eye of the rib steak as their "filet". In that case, it would be easy to serve it "bone in".

Can anyone confirm this?


A few years ago, I went to a relatives Kosher wedding in NY. They served, kosher (boneless) filet mignon. As it was, kosher, it had no flavor whatsoever. And, because it was kosher, it was, dry!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/05 16:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow
A few years ago, I went to a relatives Kosher wedding in NY. They served, kosher (boneless) filet mignon. As it was, kosher, it had no flavor whatsoever. And, because it was kosher, it was, dry!


AGREED!! The Kosher Chickens are good, but the Kosher BEEF tends to be too dry... (and that GLATT Kosher stuff is even worst, espescially that "first cut" stuff)
(JMO, everyone)
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/05 16:59:43
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow
A few years ago, I went to a relatives Kosher wedding in NY. They served, kosher (boneless) filet mignon. As it was, kosher, it had no flavor whatsoever. And, because it was kosher, it was, dry!


AGREED!! The Kosher Chickens are good, but the Kosher BEEF tends to be too dry... (and that GLATT Kosher stuff is even worst, espescially that "first cut" stuff)
(JMO, everyone)

other than slaughtering practices, what makes beef kosher? or more to the point, why would the meat be any different than non-kosher meat? if they're raised and fed differently, that would answer the question.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/05 17:04:10
As I understand it, after the animal is slaughtered, it is drained of all it's blood. Thereby, rendering it, dry and tasteless.
Can anyone confirm this?
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 11:35:31
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

As I understand it, after the animal is slaughtered, it is drained of all it's blood. Thereby, rendering it, dry and tasteless.
Can anyone confirm this?

As long as they don't drain the fat out I'd think it would be OK. I'm not sure if the juiciness and flavor that we experience from red meat comes from blood rather than fat.
hutt
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 11:39:05
Hey, what about bone-in hot dogs?
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 12:09:24
Well, I'm not sure if a kosher steak can be prepared on the rare side, and while brisket works well when it well done, the same can not be said about filet mignon.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 12:19:54
I can't remember any kosher dish that has ever been anything less than "Well Done"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 12:23:09
The filet mignon at the kosher wedding I attended in the above post was served, as we asked, a perfect, medium rare. But it tasted like it was, well done.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 12:24:51
quote:
Originally posted by hutt

Hey, what about bone-in hot dogs?


Yeah, and we all know, you want yours with ketchup!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 12:26:21
quote:
Originally posted by tommyeats

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

As I understand it, after the animal is slaughtered, it is drained of all it's blood. Thereby, rendering it, dry and tasteless.
Can anyone confirm this?

As long as they don't drain the fat out I'd think it would be OK. I'm not sure if the juiciness and flavor that we experience from red meat comes from blood rather than fat.


I just know what I know.
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 14:47:14
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

As I understand it, after the animal is slaughtered, it is drained of all it's blood. Thereby, rendering it, dry and tasteless.
Can anyone confirm this?


Only the free flowing blood. The hemoglobin is what gives beef meat its red color. This does not make it dry and tasteless.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 14:48:28
quote:
Originally posted by edwmax

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

As I understand it, after the animal is slaughtered, it is drained of all it's blood. Thereby, rendering it, dry and tasteless.
Can anyone confirm this?


Only the free flowing blood. The hemoglobin is what gives beef meat its red color.


Yeah, that's what I meant.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 18:17:25
There is no such thing as a Bone-in filet mignon. Sorry. Does not exist in the culinary world.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 18:19:58
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

There is no such thing as a Bone-in filet mignon. Sorry. Does not exist in the culinary world.


http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=234

Lobels doesnt seem to think so....Russ
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 18:20:20
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

There is no such thing as a Bone-in filet mignon. Sorry. Does not exist in the culinary world.


Ok, lets change the description to, "bone-on" filet mignon. happy now?
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bone-in Filet Mignon 2008/07/06 18:58:51
I have to agree with the bones imparting more flavor in the case of a boneless chuck roast vs. one with bones or bone-in vs. boneless chicken breasts but have only experienced that effect when roasting or braising. When grilling or broiling, it seems as if the short cooking time would not make too much difference.

Bones are a hot trend right now. I always threw a couple of two inch pieces of marrow bones in with beef soups and stews until my butcher stopped selling them in his stall. His entire supply goes to a couple of trendy NYC restaurants, where they bake them and then serve the sliced marrow as a garnish for other dishes.