Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs

Filet Mignon
2008/06/25 20:39:31
Attention - Sam's Club has changed their oven cooked BBQ ribs..The change ahs not been for the better either. I tried them several weeks ago and they were dry, had a terrible salty after taste from the solution they use to tenderize the meat and had a lousy sauce, too.

Today, I was back at Sam's and spoke to one of the Meat Department guys. I told him I'd e-mailed Sam's with my comments. The guy told me they use to actually cook off the fresh pork ribs in each store and used a really nice brown sugar glaze on them. He told me now they get the ribs in frozen and pre-cooked; all they are doing is reheating them in the ovens. He said many people have complained.

Good! Maybe they will go back to the ribs they use to make, which I liked far better. No, they were not perfect, but they were far better than these.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/26 20:14:49

Don't count on a positive response to the customer complaints. More likely the cost factor of the central-kitchen preparation will tilt the equation. But I hope I am wrong.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/26 20:24:14
It seems that many of the responses we have heard from Roadfood posters have complained about the pre prepared things from Walmart-Sams have reduced their quality in taste.

I really hate that as I shop Walmart very frequently.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 00:19:55
Sorry to hear about your ribs going downhill, Chuck...
let us know what the Walton family has to say about it, if anything...
(my guess is that you'll get some sort of corporate type reply, with all the politically correct wording)

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 05:20:34
Ellen - My guess is that I will hear nothing. Incidently, I also wrote complaining about the exterior appearance of their Superstore in our town. I wrote directly to the President in Arkansas..Ellen...Did you hear from him? Well, neither did I. I then went to our Mayor and he got the City Manager to write, too. Then I went to our local paper and ironically another resident had also written an article about the same thing. They published both mine and his in the same edition.

The end result, without any response from WalMart, was that they threw down some mulch and called it a day. So, I'm fairly certain those new ribs are here to stay. I have to agree it seems like a labor saving issue. It is kind of interesting because they already have the butchers there so what's the big deal with continuing to make them on the premises.

Walmart stores do not have butchers down here in this area (Central Florida). I was told that the Meatpackers Union wanted to organize Walmart so they simply have all the meats fabricated off their premises; no need for butchers. It's all sent in packaged, priced up and ready to go to anyone but me...I shop at Publix for meat.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 09:16:20
I've tried Sam's plain uncooked ribs several times and they are pretty good. Who knows what stuff they put in the marinate!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 09:24:00

Jay,
I agree. If you can find some meat...any meat (beef,Pork, or Poultry) that has not been shot full of "additives and Enhancers" It can be ok. More and more of the meat sold in Walmarts are packed with "stuff". We don't buy meat there very often anymore.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 09:33:49
Sam's. Their the reason I shop at, Costco!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 11:43:12
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Walmart stores do not have butchers down here in this area (Central Florida). I was told that the Meatpackers Union wanted to organize Walmart so they simply have all the meats fabricated off their premises; no need for butchers. It's all sent in packaged, priced up and ready to go to anyone but me...I shop at Publix for meat.

That is why they don't have on-site butchers in most areas.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 12:05:43
I bought them once a couple years ago. They were horrible. Overdone and greasy, with an off taste. No more for me.

Sam's makes a great rotesserie chicken, though.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 12:36:47
I believe the big problem with the new ribs is that solution they're putting in a lot of pork that is supposed to tenderize the meat. It has a strange taste to me. Stlouisguy..They do make a great rotesserie chicken..I agree. Sam's cannot remotely compare to Costco. Unforunately, that's all we have here...Sam's.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/27 19:36:04
Can't say you did'nt try to make a difference, Baah Ben!
( with your letters to the editors and to Arkansas, etc)

Looks like they are too afraid of that meatpackers Union coming in, like Felix said...

Hey, you guys with charbroilers in your backyards are lucky! At least you have THAT option!
(my condo assn. does not let us have BBQ grills)
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/29 16:00:16
I had some of their ribs last week from the Kingston, NY store. They were good but was wondering if they were pre-packaged? You can't beat their fresh pork ribs though, 3 full racks for $23.00!

As Ellen stated, your opinion has most likely been sent through a Widely Diversified Group of Corporate Thinkers. After two or three $500.00 luncheons Channel Managment has decided that it's all about Wal-Mart/ Sam's and not you. Just eat the ribs, if you don't someone else will! If I were you, I'd demand to see their Gantt and Pareto charts and find out if they followed their ISO procedures by completing a Six Sigma.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Sam's Club's BBQ Ribs 2008/06/29 22:56:12
Hot Dog King...Say what? Can you explain?