marinating

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
  • Reward points : 0
marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 3:07 PM
How long do you usually marinate your steaks? I only marinate sirloins and ribeyes, for about and hour at room temperature after I take them out of the fridge.

I suppose it depends on the cut of meat and the type of marinade, but I got a two inch thick sirloin today and the butcher recommended marinating at the very least overnight overnight.

Your ideas, please...

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 3:14 PM
I only do an hour if in a rush and then it's hardly worth the effort. Let that stuff sit in.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6217
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 5:32 PM
Personally I don't marinate my steaks at all. If I'm going to pay that much money for an expensive steak, I just want to taste the meat. I do, however marinate tougher cuts of beef such as flank steak and skirt steak and usually for about 3 hours.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 5:39 PM
I'm with Lisa on this one.. Pay 10 to 15 bucks for a decent steak, it better do it's own talking on the grill. Cheaper cuts, well a little olive oil, chopped garlic and fresh rosemary for a couple hours helps them along a little.... But with either cut, allow the cow to reach room temp (about an hour) before letting the flames lick it.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 10:16 PM
You might want to consider a Jaccard if you want to speed up your marinating times.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 11:15 PM
I don't. If anything, and just before grilling, S & P and perhaps a thin coating of olive oil with maybe a little fresh garlic rubbed in.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9543
RE: marinating - Sat, 06/28/08 11:32 PM
I "Dry Rub' my steaks with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. First spread a little Lite Olive Oil on the beast's, Sprinkle with a little Cavender's on both sides, rub it in a little, let them sit about 1 hour and grill. Cavender's contains S&P, Garlic Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices plus the regular perservative chemicals. Zero Fat, Zero Carbs!!

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: marinating - Sun, 06/29/08 6:30 AM
I've just always marinated steaks in worcestershire sauce with some sliced garlic overnite. Does the trick for me.

mikeam
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: marinating - Sun, 06/29/08 7:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

I "Dry Rub' my steaks with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. First spread a little Lite Olive Oil on the beast's, Sprinkle with a little Cavender's on both sides, rub it in a little, let them sit about 1 hour and grill. Cavender's contains S&P, Garlic Oregano, Sugar, Onion Powder, Parsley and 5 other spices plus the regular perservative chemicals. Zero Fat, Zero Carbs!!

I am a big Cavender's fan also. It's great on steaks. I also like it on ribs.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: marinating - Sun, 06/29/08 8:32 AM
I could see useing a marinade on a cheaper cut of beef as stated above, but not for sirloin or rib eye. But to each his own.
Jaccard tenderizer, I won't use one of those either. To me that's nedled beef and it comes out mealey. I don't care for the texture.
If you have to tenderize a cut of beef just use salt {kosher} and time, overnight in the ice box. Works for me.
Chow Jim

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
RE: marinating - Mon, 06/30/08 9:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Personally I don't marinate my steaks at all. If I'm going to pay that much money for an expensive steak, I just want to taste the meat. I do, however marinate tougher cuts of beef such as flank steak and skirt steak and usually for about 3 hours.

That's the word of truth!

I will, however, use a rub when I'm grilling a good cut. I rub Charcrust Hickory ( www.charcrust.com ) and let the cut rise to room temperature. For "London Broil" I marinate and then rub it with garlic salt and pepper before grilling. Delish!

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: marinating - Sun, 07/6/08 2:13 AM
I tried some Lawrys seasoned salt on my Ribeye last night and it tasted wonderful. I had salted it with said seasoning salt and left it sit for about 5 hours before grilling it. Great stuff.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: marinating - Sun, 07/6/08 2:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Ditto here.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: marinating - Sun, 07/6/08 2:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mikeam

quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

I am a big Cavender's fan also. It's great on steaks. I also like it on ribs.

I like to use Cavender's Greek seasoning as well. Especially for my oven baked "Greek chicken".

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: marinating - Sun, 07/6/08 7:52 AM
I find that when I use a liquid marinade, whether it be oil, wine, soy sauce, etc... that the meat gets an off taste. It is somewhere between sweet and musky. So, needless to say I'm not a big fan, although I will season the meat - if I remember- ahead of time to draw out the water.