Potato pancakes!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 347
RE: Potato pancakes! 2007/04/29 01:54:23 (permalink)
my hungarian family also is very fond of potato pancakes, grated raw potato with plenty of garlic and onion, sometimes egg but no flour, fried crispy in bacon grease and served for breakfast or dinner with lecso' (a sort of goulash soup) very inexpensive peasant food but we never went hungry :)
viennadog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Potato pancakes! 2007/06/14 17:23:44 (permalink)
True, it's easy to make potato pancakes at home. My mom used to make some very good ones. I knew when our funds were low when we'd have them for dinner. The other dinner entree would be noodles and bacon with cinnamon.

Anyway, I found a great place to have them out and that is the Original Pancake House in Charlotte. They come with the eggs benedict and are the thinist tastiest potato pancakes! I think OPH is a nationwide chain.

The absolute best potato pancakes were a Tatra Inn, a Polish restaurant on the SW side of Chicago. They are currently closed, but looking for a new location. They have THE Best Polish food anywhere! Seriously! I keep calling them every now and then to make sure they haven't given up on finding a new location. If anyone wants to chime in their number is (773)582-8313.
The Mikado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Potato pancakes! 2007/06/19 15:07:41 (permalink)
I haven't tried it yet, but I've seen recommendations that you use your leftover colcannon and try an Irish potato pancake made that way.

The trouble is the phrase "leftover colcannon." If I have any, it's too tempting to just microwave the leftovers and wolf them down. Guess I'll never know.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Potato pancakes! 2012/07/10 15:34:04 (permalink)
rumbelly

Try the Swiss version named roesti.

Boil starchy potatoes till almosted cooked through, cool them in their jackets and peel while still warm. Grate them and add chopped onions, finely chopped bacon, fresh thyme and salt and pepper. Fry them in small non-stick pans or on a greasy griddle with BUTTER till brown and crispy. Enjoy these puppies with mixed meats like schnitzel, various forms of sausages, Kassler(smoked pork loin), double smoked bacon etc. Side it with kraut and copious quantities of beer. Believe me you get the bed to yourself.

The roesti with those side dishes is a big customer favourite at the Richtree and Marche (same owners) market restaurants on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto at Brookfield Place, the Eaton Centre and College Park. I've had it many times. It's very good although the texture and flavour differ from that of Eastern European potato pancakes.

Very good and reasonably priced potato pancakes are available at Perogies Place in London, Ontario on the north side of Dundas Street East just west of Clarke Road.

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato pancakes! 2012/07/10 15:39:45 (permalink)
kland01s

Tried a new place for breakfast yesterday in Batavia, Il called Lumes on Fabayan Parkway in the Trader Joe's plaza. Every time I go to TJ's this place is packed so we thought we'd try it about 7:15am. I was pleased to see they had Potato Pancakes on the menu and tried them. They were, well, I'm not sure how to describe them, didn't taste very potatoey,there was some hint of green onion and they were kind of doughy in the middle.

What are called "potato" pancakes are like that in a lot of places including the Golden Griddle, the largest pancake chain in this area. All they've done is added a bit of potato flour to their regular pancake mix which merely makes for a heavier pancake.

gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: Potato pancakes! 2012/11/05 20:36:09 (permalink)
I absolutely love potato pancakes! My grandparents on both sides came from near Lviv to Pittsburgh after WW2. We had them every Friday growing up. My Babas' grated the potato and some onion. Drained some water before adding the onion though. One egg and a spoonful of flour. The smell of those frying in the pan...oh my God. My school was 3 doors down from my house. You could smell it the second you walked out the door, and I'd run like hell to get home to help make them.

The way I ate them was put some sour cream in the middle, use a fork to fold it in half, and shove the whole thing in my mouth. I'd go through 20 of them as a snack.

First time I ordered them in a restaurant, I freaked out. They gave me hash browns!! I don't know about you guys, but I thought pancakes were made with a batter, not shredded potatoes. I was so mad.

The recipe is simple, but it's a pain to make like pierogies. Granted I'm using a box grater still, but there would still be 4 burners going at once just to make enough for 2 people, and still takes about 2 hours to do. You can't fry them at a high heat because the middle would still be raw. And never only use oil to fry. Either bacon grease, lard or a mix of melted butter and veggie oil.

http://foodperestroika.fi...10/12/deruny-small.jpg

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato pancakes! 2012/11/05 23:50:18 (permalink)
gostillerz First time I ordered them in a restaurant, I freaked out. They gave me hash browns!! I don't know about you guys, but I thought pancakes were made with a batter, not shredded potatoes. I was so mad.

Yes, that made me mad too when I got them that way at Smitty's Pancake House! Although the basically wheat flour version served at places such as the Golden Griddle  make me madder still.

Here's how proper potato pancakes should look:

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/11/06 12:06:43
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/02/24 12:47:10 (permalink)
I found a really good German restaurant in Norfolk, VA this week, The German Pantry, on Va Beach Blvd.  Great potato pancakes and excellent spaetzle, schnitzel, and even a small selection of German things for sale.  It's been there 40 years and I'll visit on subsequent visits to the area.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/02/24 14:19:59 (permalink)
Friday is fish cake & potato pancake day at my wonderful neighborhood German Deli (Fifth Street Deli-Ette). It's been so long since I had either one...this Friday will be fish cake & potato pancake day for me!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/04/29 10:47:48 (permalink)
There's a German Festival that's held every year in June at the Germania Club Downriver in Brownstown, Michigan where they make that style of potato pancake (as the OP noted).  They have a dedicated tent with 3 or 4 big gas fired hotslab/griddles going to cook them ... makes the whole area smell wonderfully of potato pancakes.  A plate of potato pancakes and a cold German beer ... that's livin.
post edited by Sonny Funzio - 2013/04/29 10:49:46
jorenmathew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 08:09:56 (permalink)
Craig328

Potato Pancakes are the easiest things to make.

2 1/2 Lbs.. Potato finely grated or use blender method. Squeeze out excess water using clean towel.
1 Large Sweet Onion finely chopped
1/4 Cup Flour
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
Pepper to taste
Fry in Oil or Lard

Thanks to share this recipe. Recently. Baking powder is not available at my home.
Could you please suggest different things used in place of baking powder ?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7684
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 08:25:00 (permalink)
jorenmathew

Craig328

2 1/2 Lbs.. Potato finely grated or use blender method. Squeeze out excess water using clean towel.
1/4 Cup Flour
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
Pepper to taste
Fry in Oil or Lard

Thanks to share this recipe. Recently. Baking powder is not available at my home.

I would suggest you use SPAM in place of baking soda
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1621
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 16:10:25 (permalink)
wanderingjew

jorenmathew

Craig328

1/4 Cup Flour
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
Pepper to taste
Fry in Oil or Lard

More likely someone foreign who is already a bit tentative about posting.  There probably IS a baking powder equivalent in the home COUNTRY, but may be called something different.  Baking soda, Cream of Tartar, and some other things can be substituted.  Or.an egg.........or....just leave it out and try it
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 16:29:16 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

wanderingjew

jorenmathew

Craig328

1/4 Cup Flour
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
Pepper to taste
Fry in Oil or Lard

More likely someone foreign who is already a bit tentative about posting.  There probably IS a baking powder equivalent in the home COUNTRY, but may be called something different.  Baking soda, Cream of Tartar, and some other things can be substituted.  Or.an egg.........or....just leave it out and try it

I entirely doubt it. Check out his comments under the Boston Meet and Greet in May and you'll see what I mean
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 16:39:53 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the wonderful little place on the Seaside Heights boardwalk that had great freshly made potato pancakes served with sour cream apple sauce or both..best I ever had besides my grannies - she always insisted that the potato be hand grated with old fashioned square grater for the right consistency..I think she was right!
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1621
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 17:23:21 (permalink)
Ah!........ok....not sure the purpose or intent..........Guess I'll get a letter from some gov't official in some country who is a cousin and can guarantee me a 1000% return on a little scheme to move some $$$$

Californyguy snuck in between me and wanderingjew..but now I understand the SPAM comment
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2013/05/24 22:51:47
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 18:13:15 (permalink)
I reviewed the post several times over the day and I found nothing to indicate SPAM.  I review all post daily for spam and off topic and that is my job.  Some folks get offended by that but as far as I know, most forums have moderators who preform such duties.  Believe me if I felt it was SPAM it would go.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 18:26:26 (permalink)
What i find funny about his comment is

THE GERMANS DISCOVERED BAKING POWDER!!!!!!!

It is still sold in Germany under the name "Backin"

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 18:28:18 (permalink)
I use the manaschiewsitswitszisisiewtszk ( I can never spell it ) brand from the local grocer and they are wonderful.  Slight onion and garlic and crispy yumm

I think I will head to Kroger's and get some for tonight it is cool and raining here nothing like a good stick to the ribs meal.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 18:35:24 (permalink)
Sundancer7

I reviewed the post several times over the day and I found nothing to indicate SPAM.  I review all post daily for spam and off topic and that is my job.  Some folks get offended by that but as far as I know, most forums have moderators who preform such duties.  Believe me if I felt it was SPAM it would go.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Then it must be the Ayersians or perhaps Karilyn in disguise because this person NEVER attended any of our monthly Boston meet ups as they allege....
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 20:16:02 (permalink)
My friend Dale-don't sweat it. Enjoy your weekend.
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 20:27:50 (permalink)
Boxty on the griddle, Boxty on the pan. If you can't make Boxty then you can't get a man!
Irish version of potato pancakes, no onion, served with butter!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Potato pancakes! 2013/05/23 20:31:46 (permalink)
YES, agnesrob! Half Irish, here!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1