Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut????

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6083
  • Reward points : 0
Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:18 AM
Today's photo got me to thinking,,,If I pay that amount of money for a "serving" of porterhouse, do I want it precut...or do I want to slice my own and watch those juices come out as I cut it?? I mean that steak looks more like a london broil. That's a steak you pre slice. Are you even sure you get the whole steak when it's pre sliced. Maybe it's hard for me to figure why, but it just seems strange to order a quality piece of steak, and have the chef(or waiter) cut it up into pieces for you. My mommy was the last one to do that for me...over 60 years ago. I cut my own expensive steaks,thank you!!!!!!!

Unkle Lunkle
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:24 AM
Does Wolfgang really belong on Roadfood site. Despite the high end, aged steak, it appears to be on the verge of a connoisseur's chain and very over priced. Please don't take this as an attack, but as an observation.

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:35 AM
If you read the review you would see the explanation as to why it was put on Roadfood.com. Lee, I am with you, I do not think I would like it presliced...

NebGuy
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:35 AM
Unkle Lunkle: I guess if Peter Luger is already reviewed here Wolfgang can have a seat at the table too, although I agree with your observation.

Lee: I'm with you, I'll cut my own.

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:43 AM
Isn't this place a direct take off of Luger's? They are copyng a successful formula. Lee, I'm sure that you are getting your entire steak...They put it back after slicing it up like a puzzle. But, if you want to stir up a discussion you may get some takers. The steak, at least the only part I like of a porterhouse, looks wonderful doesn't it? It should for what they are charging. Is it any wonder that Ruith Chris reported pretty bad numbers for the last few quarters. Talk about a luxury in a recessionary environment.

Personally, I love when the waiter takes the pieces of meat and places it on your place. But I always have to tell him I want the part from the strip! That can be uncomfortable..Like someone thinks you are asking for preferential treatment.

I vote for a NY strip over a porterhouse. Now, who has the best NY strip or Kansas City strip in the country? I have no idea, but that is something I'd welcome hearing about.

Unkle Lunkle
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GNeedles59

If you read the review you would see the explanation as to why it was put on Roadfood.com. Lee, I am with you, I do not think I would like it presliced...

Needles is appropriate; I did read the review and I wanted to open this to discussion not figger pointing.

I also read the What is Roadfood? I quote: "Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.

It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.

Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.
"

acer2x
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:59 AM
Wolfgang used to work at Peter Luger's.

Since my recent trip to Italy where I had bistecca fiorentina[It is very rare (there is no other way fiorentina is, or should be, prepared), it is sliced with the bone sitting next to it at the table, it is floating on olive oil, it is peppered with coarse pepper] at Leo's in Florence, I must rank this experience up there with Peter Luger's.

www.10best.com/Florence,Italy/Restaurants/Fine_Italian/Leo_S._Croce_Florence_IT_BID_24206/

leethebard
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 1:07 PM
Now that steak and Leo's looks like my kind of place. I can't imagine a european restaurant cutting your meat for you.....It just seems so wrong....should they place a bib around your kneck and play "airplane" as they feed you the steak??????

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 2:02 PM
Both here and at Peter Luger's, a single porterhouse steak is served for two, three or four people at the same table. If served unsliced, one diner at the table would have to cut the steak into portions for their fellow diners. At that price, I'd rather have a waiter slicing it to divide it up than one of my tablemates hacking into my portion of the steak.

doug_ua
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 2:19 PM
RubyRose- thanks for clarifying for everyone. The steak is cut tableside - so trust me, you are getting the whole steak. Porterhouse for 4 can easily serve 6. If I recall, they also do a have a couple of individual cuts, and no, they don't cut those fo you. It is a wonderful experience. Wolfgang was the former head waiter at Peter Luger's. Nothing beats the bacon appetizer - a single strip of bacon served on a plate. It is so thick that it needs to be cut with a fork and knife. More like a long chunk of bacon!!

tommyeats
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 2:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by doug_ua

RubyRose- thanks for clarifying for everyone. The steak is cut tableside - so trust me, you are getting the whole steak. Porterhouse for 4 can easily serve 6.

in my experience it's not cut tableside. it's cut in the kitchen, and then very likely put back under the broiler, as it has been done at luger's for years.

the steak is anything but dry, so the idea of juices running out because of the cutting, while counter-intuitive, doesn't seem to matter all that much.

I agree that having someone with a very sharp knife who knows what they're doing cutting the steak into manageable pieces is much preferable to a tablemate making a mess out of it. i'm certainly not offended by the process, nor do I feel like a child when I'm at Wolfgang's or Luger's or Keen's or any of the many NYC steakhouses that serve porterhouse this way. In fact, I can't think of any that *don't* serve a porterhouse pre-cut.

not many people complain about Wolfgang's and Luger's, aside from the price, so I think they're doing something right.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 4:15 PM
A paltry serving of fried potatoes for $11, a small serving of spinach for $9, one Porterhouse steak that has to be shared between two or more people for $76!

I have always suspected there are a lot of crazy people in New York City...I just didn't know how crazy. Who gets the bone? I reckon the one that pays the bill gets the bone in more ways than one.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 4:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I can't imagine a european restaurant cutting your meat for you.....It just seems so wrong....

You kind of have it backwards. The slicing of meats at the table is european-style service.

The slicing of the steak for the table is done at Peter Luger's also:

It's all part of a duluxe presentation; not quite Cheap Steak Charlie's style.

quote:
should they place a bib around your kneck and play "airplane" as they feed you the steak??????

I do not think that the waiter will feed you, and the portions are not sliced to bite-size.

tommyeats
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 5:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

A paltry serving of fried potatoes for $11, a small serving of spinach for $9, one Porterhouse steak that has to be shared between two or more people for $76!

I have always suspected there are a lot of crazy people in New York City...I just didn't know how crazy.

you should see the housing costs.

BTW, I wouldn't characterize the serving of spinach as "small", or the potato serving as "paltry" for that matter.

sharing a porterhouse is pretty standard at most better steakhouses. a porterhouse cut for one turns out much too thin for any sort of decent "char".

but I agree that there are a lot of crazies in NYC.

porterhouse steak I've had in Italy has also been pre-sliced. not that I care how Europeans eat.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 5:40 PM
Regardless of whether or not a steakhouse is a "roadfood" restaurant, I don't want my steak pre-cut! I prefer to have my steak "rest" before I cut into it so the juices won't run out. It only take a few minutes more. I can always tell the waitperson after I do finally cut it, whether it's been cooked or not as requested.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 5:49 PM
At the nicer restaurants, for an extra $20 in the tip, your waiter will chew your steak for you, as well.

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 5:50 PM
maybe it's just me, but I eat fast enough where no juice runs out of the steak regardless of whether I cut it or someone else does

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13398
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 5:57 PM
I have had it both ways and my personal opinion, I like the waitperson to slice it for me.

The restaurants that do that are the upper end that usually serve large steaks for more than one. I think it is a very polite way of doing that.

The veggies served at these places tend to be expensive and very large. Usually one serving is enought for 2-3 or 4.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:23 PM
quote:

I have always suspected there are a lot of crazy people in New York City...I just didn't know how crazy. Who gets the bone? I reckon the one that pays the bill gets the bone in more ways than one.

$11 worth of fried potatoes should cover up about half the table.

Twinwillow
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by acer2x

Wolfgang used to work at Peter Luger's.

Since my recent trip to Italy where I had bistecca fiorentina[It is very rare (there is no other way fiorentina is, or should be, prepared), it is sliced with the bone sitting next to it at the table, it is floating on olive oil, it is peppered with coarse pepper] at Leo's in Florence, I must rank this experience up there with Peter Luger's.

www.10best.com/Florence,Italy/Restaurants/Fine_Italian/Leo_S._Croce_Florence_IT_BID_24206/

With all due respect. And, I certainly do respect your opinion. I spend most of my vacations in Italy, "Steak", is the last dish in the world I want to eat in Italy. And believe me, I've seen some gorgeous Porterhouse steak Florentine served in the best of Tuscan restaurants.
But, that's just me.

Twinwillow
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:45 PM
I know one thing. If I had a Porterhouse steak lunch at Wolfgang's, I'd have to find a hotel so I could take a nap before dinner.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13398
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ces1948

quote:

$11 worth of fried potatoes should cover up about half the table.

Not anymore. Check the prices of quality potatoes and they serve huge portions.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Greyghost
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:52 PM
Sundancer,

All I saw were the pictures.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1935
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:54 PM
This is a very curious practice.

Part of the thrill of a great steak for me is actually cutting it myself as I dine. I can't imagine watching someone else doing the honors!

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:56 PM
Good pictures, good discussion, doubtless an excellent steak. But give me a bone-in strip steak from[url='http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=9']Lobel's[/url], and salt, pepper and hot, hot, hot charcoal and I'm happier'n a dead pig on an August afternoon.

Twinwillow
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 6:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Good pictures, good discussion, doubtless an excellent steak. But give me a bone-in strip steak from[url='http://www.lobels.com/store/main/item.asp?item=9']Lobel's[/url], and salt, pepper and hot, hot, hot charcoal and I'm happier'n a dead pig on an August afternoon.

Amen to that!

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 7:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Now you're talking.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 7:40 PM
The smoking cursor on the website is a nice touch. I'll bet that steak melts in your mouth!

Greyghost
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 7:47 PM
That steak in the picture will feed two people, only if one is a vegetarian.

tommyeats
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 7:58 PM
quote:

That steak in the picture will feed two people, only if one is a vegetarian.

which picture? this one? http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=3445&PhotoID=7195

Greyghost
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 8:03 PM
That would be the one Tommy.

tommyeats
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 8:12 PM
quote:

That would be the one Tommy.

dude that's like 1 piece of the steak!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 8:26 PM
Hey, if someone wants to spend $75 for a porterhouse steak for two for themselves and request that they have the joy of personally cutting it from the bone, I'd bet that any steakhouse who serves it sliced would gladly accomodate them.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 9:51 PM
porterhouse steak for 2. no such thing. I don't care how big it is.
sliced porterhouse? NO. sirloin,yes. london broil, yes.
I want to pick up the bone when I'm done and eat the sweet meat.
$75 for a steak? are you kidding me?
this is Roadfood.com.
we want a good $15 steak,& a good $6 burger.

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by doug_ua
Wolfgang was the former head waiter at Peter Luger's.

Correct! I went to Wolfgangs about a year or so ago, (cause I went to Peter Lugers and was told it was a 3 month wait) I documented all this in one of my Roadfood NYC Trip Reports, complete with pics, of course. (so, I've "been there, done that") (and I'd do it again!)
I had the big porterhouse for 2, even though I was on my own.
I wanted to get the full effect.

I got Roadfood.com comments that ranged the gamut, from someone thinking I was some sort of elitist, and another from someone that wished they found the doggy bag I said I had left near a phone booth.
(I knew my steak would'nt travel well all the way back to AC, so I just took the doggy bag hoping to give it to a panhandler type)
And one roadfooder realized that I ordered it to get that full experience. He understood...

All in all, I understand the comments on this board that question whether this is really Roadfood. (I mean, look at the uproar this report has caused! A 2 page thread already!!) Deep down, I really don't think it is either. However, there is a place for it ON the Roadfood site , in the PRIME CUTS section, or as part of a trip report. Just my humble opinion, of course...

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 07/8/08 11:10 PM
On a tv cooking show I saw a HUGE Porterhouse Steak prepared to order, sliced, put back together like a puzzle, had an herb butter placed atop, placed under a rocking hot broiler, just to sizzle the herb butter broiler and served the steak snapping and sizzing to a table of 4 .. they did not look disappointed -- by hey, they were on TV..

I've tried it and I personally love it... to each his own

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 9:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Unkle Lunkle
Needles is appropriate; I did read the review and I wanted to open this to discussion not figger pointing.

I also read the What is Roadfood? I quote: "Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.

It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.

Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.
"

Hey you have copy and paste on your computer? me too!
" $75 per person for lunch is not exactly typical Roadfood, but if your goal is to savor restaurants unique to their region, Wolfgang's steak house on Park Avenue in New York is essential. "

MiamiDon
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 9:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

But Ellen, we know that you have a hollow leg!

Have you been to[url='http://www.donshula.com/locations.php?l=1&restid=9']Shula's Steakhouse[/url] yet to join the 48 oz. Club? If you finish a three pound porterhouse in one sitting, you get your name on a little brass plaque on the wall.

leethebard
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 9:52 AM
Saw a Shula's at the Dolphin,last trip to Disney. Didn't go since the guide book reviews were so-so. Did we miss out???????

MiamiDon
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Saw a Shula's at the Dolphin,last trip to Disney. Didn't go since the guide book reviews were so-so. Did we miss out???????

I've only been to the original restaurant in Miami Lakes. My wife and I have enjoyed our meals there on several occasions, but I don't know how it compares with places like Peter Luger or Wolfgang's. There is one in the Times Square Westin hotel in NYC, FWIW.

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:19 AM
The Shula's have built up that business over the years. Shula's name is everything in South Florida, but they've branched out in other cities as well. This has got to be one very tough business right now in places outside of NYC. NYC seems to be impervious to all that is around them from real estate issues to high end steakhouses. Hey, good for them.

It will be interesting to hear some comments on Shula's, if we have still have some wealthy roadfooders left after the fall out of this incredibly bad economy. Or perhaps from some of you with good expense accounts.

What's the difference, if it's not roadfood per se.. Isn't it interesting to see and hear about these dining experiences. I say good for you, if you can dine at Lugers and places like that. And, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

leethebard
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben
[It will be interesting to hear some comments on Shula's, if we have still have some wealthy roadfooders left after the fall out of this incredibly bad economy. Or perhaps from some of you with good expense accounts.

What's the difference, if it's not roadfood per se.. Isn't it interesting to see and hear about these dining experiences. I say good for you, if you can dine at Lugers and places like that. And, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

We can live vicariously through their accounts. We can't afford "fine dining" much anymore...but,yes,I agree,reviews featuring the subtle differences in these olaces would be interesting

pmrkr2
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:43 AM
wow all this excitement over a piece of meat. this must be a site for people who like to eat, lol. well a few comments, I don't think wolfgang's truly belongs on this site. Having Luger"s is one thing cause it's an institution of sorts in the nyc area but even that being said it's not really roadfood unless your Mike Bloomberg. As to cut or not to cut, well that's the way they do it and if you want to judge a place you have to judge it on the way they do their thing. Although if you want to cut it yourself (all you mohel's out there) I'm sure they won't mind. OK let the debate continue, that's my two cents.

leethebard
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:48 AM
This site is called Roadfood..but when you check the forums site..it has branched out beyond simple highway Mom and Pop places..to allow posters to talk about good food in general....and this topic was posted under "prime cuts" and Porterhouse steak applies!!!

ellen4641
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 10:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

It will be interesting to hear some comments on Shula's, if we have still have some wealthy roadfooders left after the fall out of this incredibly bad economy.

Yes, it's very SCARY out there right now! I decided the best thing is NOT to LOOK! That is, NOT look at my stocks every few days or so; cause that is too depressing..(like watching a falling knife!!)
Cause too many days I make $200 dealing, but lose $1000 in the market.
(so I'm better not even knowing about that $1000) Wake me up in a year or so, (or longer???) when it's safe to look!

I'm grateful to have fresh $$ coming in from dealing (poker that is, not drugs) And I'm still going to go to get my big steaks, etc..
I mostly just go for the MEAT; I don't go for the bottles of WINE, etc, as that stuff can really run up the bill! Just give me my meat, some good potatoes, good rolls, and maybe a good caesars salad! And
I'll probably just wash it all down with a glass of regular tap ice water.

Yes, it might not be "Roadfood" by everyones definition, but it is good topic matter for us FOODIES.
I think of places like Wolfgangs as more of an "event" place, that you PLAN on going to, rather than a place you would just walk by and stumble into.
WHEREAS, I think of an ideal "Roadfood" joint as being a chili dog or a clam shack on the side of the road. (a place that you could easily go into on impulse) (I know I could always squeeze in another hot dog or burger!) And of course, a Roadfood joint with regional specialties gets even higher marks!

Unkle Lunkle
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 12:47 PM
The original uproar was not about this discussion thread, but Wolfgang's being featured as Roadfoods' "Restaurant of the Day" yesterday.

Save the elligant cusine for Martha Stewart's magazine!

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 7:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Unkle Lunkle

The original uproar was not about this discussion thread, but Wolfgang's being featured as Roadfoods' "Restaurant of the Day" yesterday.

Save the elligant cusine for Martha Stewart's magazine!
''Trust me on this--neither Luger"s or Wolfgang"s are in Martha Stewart territory----and----"The most memorable local eateries along the
highways and back roads of America"---i dont think there is any thing in that description that says it has to lack elegance to be roadfood---i for one believe that Peter Lugers and Wolfgangs are both local--to NY and memorable!

Twinwillow
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 8:28 PM
Personally, I think, if we were to discuss, only those "quaint little roadside joints" on these pages, there would be precious little to talk about. "tiki' is correct.

ellen4641
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Wed, 07/9/08 9:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

[---i dont think there is any thing in that description that says it has to lack elegance to be roadfood---

And the best part was that Wolfgangs was not even all that elegant, anyway. I was made to feel very comfy there. It was not a "stuffy" place; it's more of a fun place that happens to be attractive.

The price may be a little "elegant", but I got a big piece of meat for it...

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Thu, 07/10/08 10:29 AM
By the ---Martha really is just a good Polish girl who LOVES a good hot dog or pizza!

ellen4641
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Thu, 07/10/08 1:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

By the ---Martha really is just a good Polish girl who LOVES a good hot dog or pizza!

And she grew up right in Nutley, NJ... my bf grew up there, too, and said he took her sis out on a few dates while in High School
Nutley is still a real tight area (neighbors still know neighbors, etc)

Ev1L
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Sun, 12/28/08 5:23 PM
ellen4641

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by doug_ua

[id="quote"]
Correct! I went to Wolfgangs about a year or so ago, (cause I went to Peter Lugers and was told it was a 3 month wait) I documented all this in one of my Roadfood NYC Trip Reports, complete with pics, of course. (so, I've "been there, done that") (and I'd do it again!)

I got Roadfood.com comments that ranged the gamut, from someone thinking I was some sort of elitist, and another from someone that wished they found the doggy bag I said I had left near a phone booth.
(I knew my steak would'nt travel well all the way back to AC, so I just took the doggy bag hoping to give it to a panhandler type)
And one roadfooder realized that I ordered it to get that full experience. He understood...

All in all, I understand the comments on this board that question whether this is really Roadfood. (I mean, look at the uproar this report has caused! A 2 page thread already!!) Deep down, I really don't think it is either. However, there is a place for it ON the Roadfood site , in the PRIME CUTS section, or as part of a trip report. Just my humble opinion, of course...

If you ever want to check out some nyc places, lemme know. I would come down from CT to get the full on experience.

ellen4641
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Mon, 12/29/08 11:29 PM
Ev1L

ellen4641

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by doug_ua

[id="quote"]

If you ever want to check out some nyc places, lemme know. I would come down from CT to get the full on experience.

Thanks for the shout out, Ev1L !  And welcome to Roadfood!
I do keep making my rounds all over the place.. (Philly, NYC, Florida, north Jersey, etc)
So, perhaps we'll get a chance to "meat up" ....how about joining us on the Western Mass. (Northampton) tour on May 17th?
I like the group "meat ups" the best!

There is a link on Roadfood that describes it further..

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 12/30/08 6:46 PM
ellen4641

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by tiki

[---i dont think there is any thing in that description that says it has to lack elegance to be roadfood---

And the best part was that Wolfgangs was not even all that elegant, anyway. I was made to feel very comfy there. It was not a "stuffy" place; it's more of a fun place that happens to be attractive.

The price may be a little "elegant", but I got a big piece of meat for it...

And Luger's would never be described as "elegant". Nor would Bobby Vann's. But I can't wait to get back to NYC and have pre-sliced proterhouse from either of these.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Wolfgangs Porterhouse..served precut???? - Tue, 12/30/08 6:51 PM
leethebard

Shula's isn't in the same league as the great proterhouse specialists. Except for the original in Miami Lakes, Shula's is severtal notches below Morton's, Smith & Wollenski's or Ruth's Chris. For my taste, many steakhouses around the country beat Shula's.