Blueberry Ice Cream

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Reward points : 0
Blueberry Ice Cream - Fri, 07/11/08 6:39 PM
Blueberry Ice Cream

This year I have seen a bumper crop of supermarket blueberry ice cream blends. Seems the manufacturers have "found their thrill on blueberry hill" this year. Fine with me, I love blueberry ice cream. Most of the brands I have tried are regional, Friendly's, Hood and so on. They are OK, but I am looking for something better. I don't want a blend, I want a solid blueberry ice cream with plenty of berries, embedded in rich blueberry ice cream.

So this is the question. Does anyone know a brand sold in supermarkets that does blueberry ice cream right?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Fri, 07/11/08 7:22 PM
About 40 years ago, Baskin-Robbins did a blueberry-marshmallow ice cream. I loved it! They dropped it after a short time because, "it didn't sell". It was great ice cream and I wish someone else would do it. I can still remember the taste after all these years. Does anyone else remember this Baskin-Robbins flavor?

Sneetch
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sat, 07/12/08 2:04 PM
twinwillow - i wish my baskin-robbins had blueberry-marshmellow ice cream back then! that sounds delicious!
greyghost - i can't say i've found a commercially made blueberry ice cream that was wonderful, sorry...
( i would combine that past baskin-robbins flavor blueberry/marshmellow with graham cracker chunks and call it blueberry s'mores - yum...)

C Turner Joy
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sat, 07/12/08 2:47 PM
I went looking for blueberry ice cream yesterday due to this thread. I found nothing. No blueberry anything. I was disappointed.

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sat, 07/12/08 3:10 PM
Possibly make your own?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sat, 07/12/08 3:28 PM
Easy enough if you have an ice cream maker. And, their cheap to buy. I make my own ice cream often. Too often!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13385
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sun, 07/13/08 6:17 PM
The best I ever found was in Bar Harbor downtown at a soft serve place that made soft serve with a fresh mix of blueberries. It was super. Directly across the street was a neat place where they sold blueberry beer. I would one or two of each and enjoy the park across the street.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sun, 07/13/08 6:25 PM
Take 1 pint of fresh blueberrys, 1 cup of sugar, 1 1/2 cup water, pinch salt, 1 table spoon white vinegar, 1/2 lemon squeezed, and 2 heavy pinches lemon zest. Place ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer and stir occasionally until it really coats a spoon and most of the blueberrys are popped. Let cool. When cool prepare a Vanilla Milkshake and add Blueberry mixture at the end. Or just serve it hot over Ice Cream...Russ

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Sun, 07/13/08 6:31 PM
Sundancer:

Great blueberry ice cream in Maine makes a lot of sense as Maine is known for great blueberries. Too bad Maine is so far away and my gas budget is so small.

Russ:

That sounds very good for a homemade solution. Thanks.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Blueberry Ice Cream - Mon, 07/14/08 11:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

Easy enough if you have an ice cream maker. And, their cheap to buy. I make my own ice cream often. Too often!

Me too. I keep going all season long; I keep the canister in the freezer.

Last week I made a peach / blueberry ice cream and my family has been loving it -- a great flavor combo as it turns out.