Tasti-D-Lite 2

Filet Mignon
2008/07/20 12:25:21
Every summer I do a Q on Tasti-D-Lite, my very fav "frozen dessert" in NYC (predecessor to Fro-yos) and every year noone responds. Wanna break my streak this year? Please?
caratzas
Cheeseburger
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/20 20:02:04
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Every summer I do a Q on Tasti-D-Lite, my very fav "frozen dessert" in NYC (predecessor to Fro-yos) and every year noone responds. Wanna break my streak this year? Please?

So, what's your question? :)

And it may interest you to know that unless by "Fro-yo" you mean a specific brand, Tasti-D-Lite wasn't the first soft-serve frozen yogurt or low-cal dairy dessert by a long stretch. TDL might be many folks' introduction to the phenomenon, but while Carvel was offering Thinny-Thin and Lo-Yo in the 1970s and TCBY was founded in 1981, TDL didn't get going until 1987. Possibly there's something even earlier.

/The more you know...
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/21 08:20:32
Oh, thank you, thank you.

This is the 3rd year I have posted on Tasti D-Lite, and you are my first responder. (Good thing this wasn't an emergency...)

TDL is such fun; I think it was featured on SATC and "The Apprentice". TDL is a "frozen dessert, not one of the tangy/sour yogurts, and it has a very nicem clean taste. Basically comes in 2 flavors (van or choc) but with 2 (or in some places, 4) variations each day, based on van or choc. That makes it like 100 or more variations. For example, yesterday my local (tho there are 5 TDL's within walking distance of my home) had Samoa (vanilla base + some coconut flavor - it did taste like the cookies) and Espresso (choc base + coffee). Sometimes they post the special flavors for tomorrow, to get you back. I totally love it and really miss it when I go to NM. I think TDL is just a NYC thing.

Anyone else care to commment?

tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/21 11:25:44
I used to enjoy their special flavors, too...once they had a peanut butter one, which was great.
However, wasn't it a few years back that they got fined for allegedly advertising some of their products as fat free, which was not the case (and didn't Seinfeld spoof this in one episode where he and Elaine gained weight eating an allegedly non-fat product?). I always thought some of their flavors were too tasty to be completely non-fat!
caratzas
Cheeseburger
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/21 22:56:04
quote:
I think TDL is just a NYC thing.
Their web site says they're mostly in NYC, with a handful in Jersey, FL, TX and upstate NY:http://www.tastidlite.com/index.php/component/option,com_google_maps/Itemid,146/ (They list CT too but none show up on the map.)
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/22 15:20:13
quote:
Originally posted by caratzas

quote:
I think TDL is just a NYC thing.
Their web site says they're mostly in NYC, with a handful in Jersey, FL, TX and upstate NY:http://www.tastidlite.com/index.php/component/option,com_google_maps/Itemid,146/ (They list CT too but none show up on the map.)

Thanks.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tasti-D-Lite 2 2008/07/22 15:22:48
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

I used to enjoy their special flavors, too...once they had a peanut butter one, which was great.
However, wasn't it a few years back that they got fined for allegedly advertising some of their products as fat free, which was not the case (and didn't Seinfeld spoof this in one episode where he and Elaine gained weight eating an allegedly non-fat product?). I always thought some of their flavors were too tasty to be completely non-fat!

Ya want peanut butter, they got peanut butter.

8 varities, in fact (I checked the menu yeaterday; for example: peanut butter, peanut butter fudge, peanut butter marble, peanut butter cake, peanut butter dream - whatever that is, peanut butter crunch, etc.)

BTW the specials were banana pudding and caramel fudge
Claudia@thelitechoice
Junior Burger
Re:Tasti-D-Lite 2 2009/08/03 17:38:17
New & Healthy in NYC.  As we only use the finest Organic flavors approved by the USDA.  Similar caloric factors than TDL, as we are Low Fat, Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, & Low Carb.  Our calories range from 80-120 for a small cup, depending on the flavor of course.

To top it off we DO NOT include CORN SYRUP, preservatives, or additives.  We care of New Yorkers health and wanted to create something that everyone will LOVE as it is also creamy & delicious, with a lot of flavor unlike any other.

Now with 28 locations in the tri-state area & growing...we are near you....http://tinyurl.com/mg2s63
Come in & Compare!!!

David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Tasti-D-Lite 2 2009/08/03 21:12:28
The back story on Claudia's post above:

NYNM started  thread about a year ago on some of the Tasti-D-Lite franchises becoming The Lite Choice. It was determined a franchise owner in NYC terminated his agreement with Tasti-D-Lite, and went independent. Here is that thread:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=446323&high=

That tiny URL in Claudia's post forwards to:
http://thelitechoice.com/location.html.

Totally different frozen dessert chain.
callmebruce
Cheeseburger
Re:Tasti-D-Lite 2 2009/08/03 21:33:09
David_NYC
-snip!
Totally different frozen dessert chain.

And quite possibly spam-based!