Hot!Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves

Cheeseburger
2008/07/27 14:14:01
I'm still trying to figure out how I will wrap my hot dogs. I bought some little foil bags that the loaded dog slides into but those seem to be a big PITA and are kinda of slow. I'm now leaning toward just a basic sqaure sheet of serving paper. I don't know of a slick way to wrap it where it looks nice. I want to wrap them nice and pretty.

What's the easist or most efficient way to wrap up my dogs? Will you guys share your techniques with me?

I scoured the net and haven't found a "how to" guide on this yet....

Thanks

Arnie
hutt
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 14:18:28
just my 2 cents: I wouldn't buy a dog that comes in a little foil bag. And the basic square sheet of paper is annoying. Give me a boat and I'm happy.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 14:30:31
Boat is best for driving. Keep condiment from ending up on lap. Foil bags suk. Paper wax wrap is ok for to go orders that are not to be eaten on road. Ask your customer which way. Even if your dog is good I might not comeback due the the foil bag factor. Chicago dog in a foil bag would be hell...Russ
RibRater
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 14:42:53
I like the small foil sheets they sell at Sams. You can hand it to them and let them decide if they are wrapping to take it with them or eat it now. (Of course I don't have a cart but I use them for 101 things around the house). The boats are always a pain to me. I can't wrap the dog if I need to set it down for a minute and the dog always tips over. The foil bags are ok but I don't think "quality dog" when I see them...they remind of $1.00 dog day at the ballpark.
Coz Dogs
Junior Burger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 16:17:54
Well I have tried paper and foil wraps I now offer either boats or the the foil wraps
I get a good deal on them from (Reynolds) cushion Foil wraps they have colored stripes so I know which dog I am making. Also ACE Restaurant Supply is a good source to look at product ideas, Boats or hot dog trays.
They have many sizes and designs toll free 1-888-898-8079.

COZ
quickdog
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 16:18:06
I too buy the foil squares from a restaurant depot type store. My customers dress their own dog so I wrap the dog and twist both ends. When they open the foil to put on the toppings the bun is still warm from the sealed foil. I am not sure if this is the best way. This is a good thread because I was thinking about trying something different as well.
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 16:25:49
I use the boats for 2. They are easy fits 2 perfectly. Easy for me and customers like them as someone said they are great for traveling.
Coz Dogs
Junior Burger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 16:32:46
I have had good luck with ACE Restaurant Supply I use the plain boat for just standard Dogs
and for the special they sell a red plaid design When I buy in bulk I get a nice price break.
The standard price is not bad either. the will ship free with orders over $400.00
so I buy once in spring and I have stock for all year. I sell all year round.
COZ
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 17:47:27
Of course, I have to make it complicated and have to make a judgment call. If the dog is a jumbo (5 to 1), Chicago style or has chili on it, I wrap it very loosely in paper (I make a tent) and serve it in a boat. If it's a small dog, without too many condiments on it, I wrap it tightly and slip it into a foil bag. If you use a foil bag, you pretty much have to have them "pre-opened" and stored in a box, ready to grab. Hard to do on a cart, but in our "joint," it's O.K.

Of course, many items fall between the cracks as to whether to just wrap it or "boat" it. But that's why I make these big bucks....to make decisions like this.
Chiliman
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 20:19:21
I go with the boat wrapped in wax. As aforementioned, the condiments have less tendancy to land up on your lap or lapels. The waxpaper folds well and holds the heat in.

Here's my method: Build the dog in the boat. Pull the wax and lay the boat in the middle of the paper along the fold line. Match the upper and lower ends together and fold downward several times in about a 1/2 inch fold. Quickly fold the ends under the dog and BANG! it's nicely wrapped. I had no idea going in as to how I was going to wrap, just kinda did it on the fly.

As a side note, I also find the foil pouch to be an unsavory choice. Even in my venerated Disney, I was immediatly turned off at Casey Jones' because of the pouch. The bun always gets soggy and it is too hard to lick out the good toppings
Chiliman
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 20:23:16
Also, as another side note, I often do larger sammie's (big brats, meatballs, sausage and peppers, etc. and have a heck of a time wrapping them even in the larger foil sheets. What I do is take the sheet and set so it looks like a diamond, set the sandwich in middle, bisecting the fold line, pull the top and bottom corner together and fold down like he last post, then do my utmost to get the sides to match up and fold to the best of my ability. I then immediatly get it to the bottom of an 8lb brown paper sack to help hold the whole mess together. If it looks really rough, I hold it up and say "Look, a swan!" I'm so uptown!
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 20:50:05
Another side note....I have 2 sizes of wrap paper, one for the dogs and tamales and one for meatball and Italian beef sandwiches. I used to have two sizes of boats, but I've streamlined and only have one now. I just cram those babies in there as best I can. If the boat pops open (often does), I just tell the customer, "Look! It's trying to escape."
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/27 21:50:06
kensandyeggo,
Thanks for the tip about the wax. I usually take a sheet of foil and top it and crimp it but that sound better. I will have to try that tomorrow.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/28 06:59:44
mostly use boats for small festivals and monthly classic car drive- in. since you are from small town try to get a line on foam hinged containers. Being from small town the lunch crowd can get pretty heavy. They want something different. Get orders 2-5 times a day for 8-16 sausages/dogs everyday. Easier to mark tops with pen and load into paper bags. They travel well back to the office.
spud
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/28 07:18:40
foil sheets are best. Have tried just about everything and these work best for me. can be shaped and sized for just about every application, dont leak and hold in heat best.
RoyHarv
Hamburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/28 16:32:18
From a consumer's point of view....

One place I buy dogs uses the paper/foil sheets. They wrap it all up, then I unwrap it to put on condiments, then I wrap it again to take to the car. Or, to be more accurate, I try to wrap it again, but rarely do very well at it. Those sheets just don't seem to want to work twice, so I end up with it half wrapped and half hanging out. But at that particular place the wrap is still better than the boats because it is a long way back to the car, in any weather and temperature.
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/29 17:51:39
I like the boats and then if they have to take it to really "go" i top it with foil.
biker jim
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/31 14:56:22
I use the 10 3/4" X 12" Aluminum foil sheets. Quick, sanitary and if someone is taking some stuff to go they get a bag. How nice.
WarToad
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/07/31 15:03:17
As a consumer, I like gettin my dog/sausage in the foil sheets best. I can load my dog up, re-wrap it, dosen't leak, eat it in the truck just fine. A boat works too, but not quite as slick.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/01 11:44:08
From a consumer's point of view---Take a page from Sonic Drive In's book. They use a boat in a bag concept for footlongs. They probably have them specked for their particular product but the concept is a good one even though it might be more costly to do it this way for you cart owners. If you can find boats make from the same guage paper stock as they use, it would be great. They sit flat and are rigid enough to handle easily. I hate to get those flimsey fluted edge paper boats. They fall over when you set them down or breakdown and my dog rolls out.

To me, Foil Bags = Cheap (as in 7-11 or Circle K)! Foilwrap is fine and Clam shells are good but they must raise your cost of sales. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Zombuswoof
Hamburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/01 12:26:20
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

From a consumer's point of view---Take a page from Sonic Drive In's book. They use a boat in a bag concept for footlongs. They probably have them specked for their particular product but the concept is a good one even though it might be more costly to do it this way for you cart owners. If you can find boats make from the same guage paper stock as they use, it would be great. They sit flat and are rigid enough to handle easily. I hate to get those flimsey fluted edge paper boats. They fall over when you set them down or breakdown and my dog rolls out.

To me, Bags = Cheap (as in 7-11 or Circle K)! Foilwrap is fine and Clam shells are good but they must raise your cost of sales. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I just bought 1000 foil sheets and 8lb white Kraft paper bags. The foil works out to slightly less than a penny each and the bags are around two cents each. I'll see if I like them after I start slingin' dogs in a couple of weeks.
ArnieTX
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/01 22:02:52
CSD - What's a wrapped finished product look like?

Thanks
spud
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/01 22:07:13
I still vote for the foil sheets, they are the most versatile to me.

Beautiful picture there CSD
ArnieTX
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/01 22:31:51
I know...How do you fold the dang thing? LOL
GoTTi
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/02 16:33:54
for people on the go, i give them Hoagie Containers, similar to http://www.instawares.com/white-foam-hoagie-take.21900gp.0.7.htm but i buy mine @ smart n final. holds the dog well and their toppings, come out to about 10 cents a container though so its pricey. good on holding sauerkraut and chili though.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/02 16:53:43
Boat.
tooniedogs
Junior Burger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/02 18:02:59
I just serve my dogs in a napkin, and I give out more if they need it. I've only ever had one complaint so I don't see the need to get any fancier.
ArnieTX
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/03 20:45:29
I used the foil squares this weekend and they worked fine. However, I never folded one the same way twice. LOL

Arnie
myway
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2008/08/14 01:25:36
I like the boats , but on a windy day they can be a real pain in the butt. I have on more than one occasion decorated the countryside with the stray boats.
Frank Furter
Junior Burger
Re:Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2013/12/19 13:57:21
Hello Arnie,
Best bet and least expensive is 12x10 3/4 inter fold deli wrap paper.
Wrap top over dog then roll over, fold in sides and finish rolling
Frank Furter
Junior Burger
RE: Hot dog wrappers, boats, foil sleeves 2013/12/19 14:04:34
Speaking if hot dog containers. I am looking for a stiff paper boat with an open end to slide the dog into. Anyone ever hear or know of this product