Maine Lobster Warning

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
  • Reward points : 0
Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 9:28 AM
According to the AP, the FDA has issued a warning not to eat the tomalley in Maine lobster this year, as it contains the toxins for paralytic shell fish poisoning from the "red tide" algae bloom this year. Cooking doesn't eliminate the poisons. They say the white claw and tail meat is perfectly OK to eat, however.

Poisoning symptoms usually appear within two hours of eating. They include tingling and numbness of the mouth, face or neck, muscle weakness, headache and nausea.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080728/D9273AL84.html

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 12:50 PM
I won't worry about it. The lobsters I get here don't come from Maine.

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 1:13 PM
FDA warns against eating lobster liver
Jul 28, 5:05 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - The government warned consumers Monday not to eat the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of lobsters, saying it may be contaminated with a toxin.

It's still OK to eat the white lobster meat found in the claws and tails of the undersea delicacy, but the green stuff that most diners already avoid should definitely be discarded this year, said the Food and Drug Administration. Known also as tomalley, the substance acts as the liver and pancreas of the lobster.

A red tide - or algae bloom - ranging from Northern New England to Canada this year has contaminated fishing grounds with high levels of toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. The federal warning follows similar advisories from public health authorities in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada.

The warning applies to American lobster, also known as Maine lobster, which is harvested in Atlantic waters from Canada to South Carolina.

Cooking does not eliminate the toxins, but studies have shown that even when high levels are present in the tomalley, lobster meat is usually not affected, the FDA said.

Symptoms of paralytic shell fish poisoning usually appear within two hours of exposure. They include tingling and numbness of the mouth, face or neck, muscle weakness, headache and nausea. Anyone who suffers such symptoms should see a doctor, the FDA said. In rare cases, people who consume a large amount of toxin can suffer respiratory failure and death.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 1:41 PM
I'm taking the liberty of emphasizing the below in case some of us (me included!) hadn't realized that Maine included Canada and the US coast down to Georgia!

The warning applies to American lobster, also known as Maine lobster, which is harvested in Atlantic waters from Canada to South Carolina.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 1:43 PM
I'll still eat the tomalley.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 2:06 PM
Tastes like chicken? Lip numbing, nausea inducing chicken?

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Tue, 07/29/08 2:36 PM
They are a little late in this warning.
I think I posted about this sometime last week.
The reason that such a large area is considered Maine lobster is that they come from off shore boats in federal waters. Much like a steamer clam is called an Ipswich clam but is harvested elsewhere.
Not to confuse them with the spinney lobster and so on.
In fact the federal waters are closed to shell fishing for the remainder of the year due to red tide. Chow Jim

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Thu, 07/31/08 7:02 AM
Jim:
Is this shutdown of shellfishing in federal waters affecting other areas? With this have an impact on getting clam bellies in Massachusetts (I hope not!)?

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Maine Lobster Warning - Thu, 07/31/08 8:18 AM
No this does not affect the steamer clam or cherry stones, bay scollops, oyters and so on. Those are all harvested from tidal waters and bay areas.
Federal waters begin generally about 3 miles off shore. This affects the sea clams, deep sea scollops and snails.
So come on up, plenty of lobsters and steamers available here at this time.
Just don't eat the tommally. Chow Jim