Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT

Smitty in CT
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Mon, 08/4/08 10:28 AM
I was looking for a "good" Roast Beef place in CT and stumbled across an advertisement for Papa's Roast Beef in Willimanic, CT.

Anybody ever been?? Good, Bad, Indifferent??

I'm originally from Peabody, MA (north of Boston) and was spoiled growing up by having the best Roast Beef sandwich places in the world right in my back yard. Now that I live in CT, I really miss being able to have one whenever I want.... There is a lot of truth in, "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"....

BTW, I'm going to Nick's Famous Roast Beef tomorrow (I'll be up in Boston)

Anyway, if nobody's been to Papa's, I'll "take one for the team" and post a review....

Smitty

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Fri, 08/8/08 9:27 PM
well how was it? I went buy there many times too early in the day. they also advertise pizza.
I'm living in Daytona now,just curious if I missed anything.

Smitty in CT
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Mon, 08/11/08 5:26 PM
I went by Papa's Pizza in Willimantic on Saturday with two of my sons....

I ordered the Roast Beef and asked for "sauce", I should have known right then that there might be a problem when the waitress asked "what kind?"... I said BBQ...

The roast beef was "well done" without even a trace of pink... it was sliced thin and served on white or wheat bread (only two choices) or a hard roll. I opted for the hard roll with BBQ sauce. It was served with fries.

My kids ordered a sausage pizza.

When the sandwich arrived there was a cup of dark brown BBQ sauce on the side, based on my not so sophisticated palate, I'm guessing K.C. Masterpeice...

The Roast Beef was tender and the fries were hot.... just not what I had in mind, I guess...

The sausage pizza my boys ordered was made with slices of whole sweet sausage, I prefer crumbled chunks, but to each his own...

All in all, I give it a 1-1/2 out of 4, mostly for not living up to my expectations, not for the quality of the food....I won't repeat...

However, I did make it to Nick's Famous Roast Beef up in Beverly, MA on Tuesday of last week.... not much else to say except - ***PERFECTION***, as always!!!

Smitty

Ev1L
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Tue, 08/12/08 12:35 AM
Could you post the address for Nicks and perhaps some photos?

I live in CT and would be willing to take a road trip for good food.

Smitty in CT
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Tue, 08/12/08 8:28 AM
Nick's has to be one of the top 3 Roast Beef places in the country

Their address is:
Nick's Famous Roast Beef
139 Dodge Street
Beverly, MA

Instead of photos and if you want to be driven crazy until you get one, got to www.youtube.com and type in "Phantom Gourmet Nick's Famous Roast Beef", it will have you craving roast beef until you can get there...

Some of my other roast beef picks are: (in no particular order)

Land 'n Sea - Peabody / Lynfield town line area

Bill & Bob's - It's somewhat of a chain but the food is good.

Kelly's Roast Beef - Not my favorite, but you have to go, just to say you've been...

If you find yourself out on Cape Cod, there is a little place in Yarmouth, on Rt 28, called Timmy's Roast Beef that is an unexpected surprise..

I'm sure there are dozens more.....

Smitty

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Tue, 08/12/08 2:55 PM
I went to Eastern CT State University in Willimantic from 2000-2005. We would often frequent Papa's Pizza and Roast Beef as a late night option (if someone was sober enough to drive.)

It's good for what it is. Interesting enough, it is not a pizza or roast beef place. I am not partial to either.

However, they have the best Cheeseburger Grinder that I have ever had. Order it with bacon, you won't be dissapointed.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Tue, 08/12/08 3:20 PM
thanks smitty, just as i suspected.

SRB
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Wed, 08/13/08 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Smitty in CT

Nick's has to be one of the top 3 Roast Beef places in the country

Their address is:
Nick's Famous Roast Beef
139 Dodge Street
Beverly, MA

Instead of photos and if you want to be driven crazy until you get one, got to www.youtube.com and type in "Phantom Gourmet Nick's Famous Roast Beef", it will have you craving roast beef until you can get there...

Some of my other roast beef picks are: (in no particular order)

Land 'n Sea - Peabody / Lynfield town line area

Bill & Bob's - It's somewhat of a chain but the food is good.

Kelly's Roast Beef - Not my favorite, but you have to go, just to say you've been...

If you find yourself out on Cape Cod, there is a little place in Yarmouth, on Rt 28, called Timmy's Roast Beef that is an unexpected surprise..

I'm sure there are dozens more.....

Smitty

I've eaten at all of those spots, and Nick's is easily the best. I've never been real impressed by Bill & Bob's or Kelly's - though I've never eaten at their Revere location. Some other good ones are Supreme Roast Beef in Danvers, Mino's in Lynn, and Chick's (I think) in Haverhill.

mjambro
  • Total Posts : 419
RE: Papa's Roast Beef in Willimantic, CT - Thu, 08/14/08 9:16 AM
Beef Barn in Woonsocket serves quite excellent roast beef - IMO, best in the state.