The Most Unusual Pasta Dish???

Post
leethebard
Sirloin
2008/08/06 14:58:22
I love Pasta!! We eat it every Sunday...but I rarely order it out,because,quite frankly,I make much of what is on many menues, and I believe, better. We search for restaurants that serve pasta in unusual ways...not the standard fair...or not simply add on ingredients...it's not easy to please me,I'm sorry.
Rivoli's in Toms River NJ has some unusual dishes using interesting ingredients like a votka dish with asparagas...I love pasta ala roma(with peas...or Florentine(with spinach) in various combinations.
Any great,unusual pasta dishes you've had that you can share with me?
Thanks,I'm adventurous, and will try to match it!
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:22:45
Lee...at the bridgewater Manor in Bridgewater NJ there's an italian restaurant called the Tropea that I ate at years ago that made a pasta in a cream sauce with Caviar. I never had caviar before so I tried it. It was ok, but nothing great. I checked out the menu and it doesn't have it listed on the menu anymore. That's probably the most unusual dish I have had at an italian restaurant
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:22:50
Hi Leethebard....there are two pasta dishes I can think of right off. One of them I saw on The Barefoot Contessa and we liked it a lot. It is Pasta, Pesto and Peas. I think she used bow ties pasta, and I can't recall the amounts, but that is something one could do to taste. At any rate, it is good and good served room temperature.

The other one I did a long time ago and again, can't recall amounts, but another one that can be done "to taste". Use spaghetti or whatever pasta you prefer, and make a sauce of melted Bleu Cheese, olive oil and broken pieces of walnut. It is different and we thought quite tasty. I like to try different ways with pasta also and it is fun to experiment.

Donna
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:32:02
Two great choices,Donna. We make pesto qa lot,especially with all the basil in our garden...and i love peas..an interesting combination I've got to try....and the blue cheese with walnuts sounds very good also!!! Thanks!
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 15:43:35
Hi interesting thread......I happen to love pasta with anchovies, good quality truffle oil and herbs like basil or parsley. Another one of my favorites is pasta carbonnera.....I know it is not very unusual though.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 16:56:48
We also love to make a quick sauce with what we get out of our garden...zuchinni,basil,fresh plum tomatoes, some peas..to which we add various mushrooms,olives,capers,and a drizzle of Evo!!...but that isn't the question I posed, so sorry...got carried away!
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:01:28
Lee, where is Rivoli's in Toms River? My Mom lives in Whiting and I am always looking for different places to eat.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:08:12
It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!

Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
http://www.rivolis.com/
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:08:15
Lee I know this isn't very unusual, but my favorite dish is tortellini carbonara with the cream sauce, peas, and proscuitto. If I see it on a menu I always get it
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:09:45
Not unusual at all...delicious!!!!! Peas and any pasta are great.
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:12:27
I actually like this other one I have where they use sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms instead of the peas and proscuitto. Basically, you can give me tortellini in a cream sauce with almost anything else thrown in and I'll eat it
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:15:07
I have a variation of Donnas recipe-add pesto to the mix of blue cheese and walnuts-and the last two minutes of cooking the pasta, add asparagus-drain,mix together and it is a wonderful dish.Hot or cold!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:15:16
Now there's a great add in for pasta...sun dried tomatoes...gives the dish a great flavor!
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:26:44
Ok, it's a homemade dish. Take half a head of cabbage and shred it the width of linguine (sp)throw it in the pot with your pasta while making a cream sauce. To the cream sauce add your parm. and a couple of interesting additions: one is red pepper flakes, fresh thinly sliced garlic, and thin slices of Smithfield country ham. The key is to try and have everything the same size. By the time your pasta is cooked, your cabbage is tender and ready to eat. We mix it together with the sauce and have some freshly made garlic bread and a cold bottle of wine.


Dennis in Cary
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 17:28:01
I like the pasta with bottarga (dried fish roe)...you can google the word to come up with recipes...it sounds strange, but the flavor is great....and only sprinkled with breadcumbs, not cheese (a major no-no in Italy for pretty much most seafood/fish-based pasta sauces).

Pasta with sardines is another nice dish I've eaten in Italy (I think they add pinenuts and raisins to the sauce)....an interesting combo of sweet and sour flavors.
However, I remember eating the dish in an upscale Italian restaurant in New York, and I was not thrilled with the dish at all...I think the quality of fresh sardines that we get in the States just aren't the same as those in Italy...but it may be just a personal taste preference.
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:21:21
Lee,

One simple pasta dish I like to make has a bit of a southern twist. Although simple it is quite tasty. I do it in the microwave but you can do it any way you like.

Cook and drain pasta, I use medium to large shells usually. Set aside
Combine a can of Sylvia's Collard Greens (the best), a can of Cannellini beans and a jar of quality Alfredo sauce...heat and stir.
Add sauce mixture to pasta. Heat and stir briefly. That's it... very simple and fast.

What makes this dish remarkable is the Sylvia's Collard Greens. They are smoky, have deep down flavor and are amazingly vegetarian which makes the entire dish vegetarian. The Cannellini beans nestle nicely into the shells while the Alfredo binds all together, with the collards caressing all.

You can substitute ingredients for most of the ingredients here except for the Sylvia's Collard Greens. It is really the greens that make the dish really different and good.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:51:16
Very Interesting Greyghost,
I've had dishes with spinach added to a white sauce,but never collard greens.I can see where the flavor would be a nice addition to the white sauce...thanks for rhe tip...
...and yes tacchino...the breadcrumbs are a nice variation from the parmesan or romano classics...my grandma used to sprinkle it on spaghetti way back when!!!
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 18:52:08
Paprika broccoli pasta.

In a pan, stick of butter and a tbs olive oil, saute 3 minced cloves of garlic,broccoli chopped, canned tomatoes (just the tomatoes, no juice) squeeze them dry. WHen broccoli softened, add 2 tbs paprika and handful of chopped parsley, few shakes of red pepper flakes, saute a few minutes more, add salt and black pepper.

Add to boiled rotini. Shave some parmesan on top.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 19:09:09
We make this dish Fabulousoyster,only we use Penne or Rigatoni!!
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:22:35
Welsh style mac & cheese is a nice way to combine cultures. Combining sharp cheddar, English ale, Coleman's mustard, Lea & Perrins and hot pepper with Cavatappi pasta makes for an amazingly tasty mac & cheese. Beats that creamy bland stuff every time.

I guess you would call this one, "The Welsh Rabbit visits Italy".
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:25:32
When I worked at Lidia's Kansas City we made this unusual filled pasta with pureed butternut squash, mostarda di cremona (Italian for mustard fruit, a sort of chutney, preserved spicy fruit with mustard seeds) and, if I remember correctly, fresh marjoram and butter. It was quite unusual, and quite delicious.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:35:35
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

When I worked at Lidia's Kansas City we made this unusual filled pasta with pureed butternut squash, mostarda di cremona (Italian for mustard fruit, a sort of chutney, preserved spicy fruit with mustard seeds) and, if I remember correctly, fresh marjoram and butter. It was quite unusual, and quite delicious.



Now see,that's the kind of dish I'm talking about,unusual and an eye catcher...and delicious sounding enough to order it!!!!
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:48:41
Toasted (browned in Olive Oil) breadcrumbs topping a pasta will also be on tonights menu for us: I'm making Ziti with gypsy peppers, anchovies, capers, and peperoncino as we speak.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 20:54:22
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Paprika broccoli pasta.

In a pan, stick of butter and a tbs olive oil, saute 3 minced cloves of garlic,broccoli chopped, canned tomatoes (just the tomatoes, no juice) squeeze them dry. WHen broccoli softened, add 2 tbs paprika and handful of chopped parsley, few shakes of red pepper flakes, saute a few minutes more, add salt and black pepper.

Add to boiled rotini. Shave some parmesan on top.



I also "Do" this one with broccoli rabe, and the addition of cotechino sausage. Delicious.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/06 21:14:56
I love broccoli rabe as a side dish...never put it in pasta...another one I'd like to try...I'm gonna gain a ton...these recipe's are too good!!!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/13 02:03:02
cannellini beans
tomatoes
tuna
ditalini
garlic
a little olive oil

^^tuna optional

or

cannellini beans
broccoli
ditalini
tuna optional


christmas pasta:
anchovies, drain out oil
garlic cloves, chopped up
cooked angel hair

heat canola oil in large frying or saucepan, add garlic. when light brown, add anchovy fillets. Get them all nice & oily & then mash the bejesus out of them with a fork. The point is to have very very tiny chunks if any. pasta should be boiling while you do this. When done, throw pasta in pan, mix up with anchovy sauce, serve.

^^My grama's recipe. you can't use the oil from the can of anchovies, although my cousin asked me if you could. UGH I could not even imagine that. My gram uses olive oil for salads only, canola for making stuff like this. Me & my dad love hot stuff but I can't imagine ruining the christmas pasta with red pepper flakes.



my mom likes to do this

hot cooked fettucine (or other pasta)
alfredo sauce, thinned with a bit of milk
mushrooms
broccoli
bacon bits sprinkled on top
grilled chicken breast, optional
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/13 08:18:10
Mom's fettucini dish is a real delicious classic!!!!...grilled chicken would be a great option!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 03:00:18
My friends in Germany use pasta as a staple, like rice, and, ergo, you can put almost anything over it. Think: Asian ingredients, of course, beef stoganoff/noodles, my friends made an interesting lamb stew with pasta, saute/stir fry with egg/veggies, my daughter loves pasta w/green chile, and so on.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 11:58:01
My mom got a Swiss Pasta dish from a Swiss friend in the 50's. It still is popular in our family...my own kids love it..Here it is...I urge you to try it!
Irene's Swiss Pasta-Shell All In One

In a skillet,fry two onions in plenty(about a stick ) of butter 'til onions are soft.Add salt to taste.
Add a hefty amount of ground up sirloin(perhaps two pounds or so..and stir til done and meat is broken up.Just drain some of the fat..it is better to use a less fatty ground meat.
Separately cook some fresh or frozen peas(not canned).
Prepare a pound of LARGE Pasta shells(NOT the jumbo stuffing shells)according to package.
Drain pasta and add a little meat sauce to the drained pasta with the butter to prevent pasta from sticking
Serve each plate by making a nice layer of pasta,followed by a nice amount of meat and onions with the butter .
Spread a fair amount of cooked peas over the meat AND
HERE'S THE MAGIC!!!
Grate a lot of good Swiss Cheese over the hot other ingredients...Stir all together 'til cheese is melting.......and enjoy!!!! The shells tend to hold some of the mix inside,too.

Believe me so many people over the decades have loved this all in one...all the food groups in one....and so tasty!!!!

All of us kids are now married, and we make this for all our families....it has been printed in several cookbooks, to which we have donated the recipe....
If you give it a try...let me know what you think...I have many other pasta recipes where that came from....Mom collected them over the decades! But this Swiss pasta dish is a favorite!!!
Lee
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 12:58:17
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I love broccoli rabe as a side dish...never put it in pasta...another one I'd like to try...I'm gonna gain a ton...these recipe's are too good!!!!

Lee:
Orecchiette with broccoli rabe is pretty common in Apulia. I've made it myself. The hardest part was finding orecchiette around here. I finally found some at a local grocer and also at Whole Foods.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 13:14:34
Thanks for the info..I'm going down to our Italian deli and I'll get some Orecchiette...thanks.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 13:30:53


We used to make a escargot and roast garlic ravioli at one place. Another dish was with a house made whole wheat fettucine, cabbage, beans and pancetta. There also was a papardelle with porcini mushrooms.
Truthfully, I think it is when I make rissoto that I can really mix things into the dish.

Truth is that we are all missing the wide variety of noodle dishes from other cultures. Love them Asian noodles from everywhere.

mark
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 13:52:13
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Thanks for the info..I'm going down to our Italian deli and I'll get some Orecchiette...thanks.

Just in case you were going to ask me how I make it.
I just kind of wing it but here is the basics.

1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tbls minced garlic
6 minced anchovy fillets
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1-1/2 ls broccoli rabe
1 lb orecchiette

Bring pasta water to a boil and add broccoli rabe. I only cook for a minute but if you like it softer cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe and when the water returns to a boil add the orecchiette and cook to your liking. Al dente for me.

Heat the olive oil and then add the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper and cook for a few minutes then add the broccoli rabe and mix well then add the drained orecchiette and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and maybe more red pepper depending on how spicy you like it. Sometimes I add some minced parsley at the end.

You can use less garlic and anchovies all depends on individual preference.

Don't forget a salad and some wine.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 14:08:31
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

My mom got a Swiss Pasta dish from a Swiss friend in the 50's. It still is popular in our family...my own kids love it..Here it is...I urge you to try it!
Irene's Swiss Pasta-Shell All In One

In a skillet,fry two onions in plenty(about a stick ) of butter 'til onions are soft.Add salt to taste.
Add a hefty amount of ground up sirloin(perhaps two pounds or so..and stir til done and meat is broken up.Just drain some of the fat..it is better to use a less fatty ground meat.
Separately cook some fresh or frozen peas(not canned).
Prepare a pound of LARGE Pasta shells(NOT the jumbo stuffing shells)according to package.
Drain pasta and add a little meat sauce to the drained pasta with the butter to prevent pasta from sticking
Serve each plate by making a nice layer of pasta,followed by a nice amount of meat and onions with the butter .
Spread a fair amount of cooked peas over the meat AND
HERE'S THE MAGIC!!!
Grate a lot of good Swiss Cheese over the hot other ingredients...Stir all together 'til cheese is melting.......and enjoy!!!! The shells tend to hold some of the mix inside,too.

Believe me so many people over the decades have loved this all in one...all the food groups in one....and so tasty!!!!

All of us kids are now married, and we make this for all our families....it has been printed in several cookbooks, to which we have donated the recipe....
If you give it a try...let me know what you think...I have many other pasta recipes where that came from....Mom collected them over the decades! But this Swiss pasta dish is a favorite!!!
Lee

Now this is something my German-American stepdad will eat. thank you, Lee!!! I got another one for you, let me find it.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 14:41:40
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Thanks for the info..I'm going down to our Italian deli and I'll get some Orecchiette...thanks.

Just in case you were going to ask me how I make it.
I just kind of wing it but here is the basics.

1/4 cup olive oil
1-1/2 tbls minced garlic
6 minced anchovy fillets
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1-1/2 ls broccoli rabe
1 lb orecchiette

Bring pasta water to a boil and add broccoli rabe. I only cook for a minute but if you like it softer cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe and when the water returns to a boil add the orecchiette and cook to your liking. Al dente for me.

Heat the olive oil and then add the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper and cook for a few minutes then add the broccoli rabe and mix well then add the drained orecchiette and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and maybe more red pepper depending on how spicy you like it. Sometimes I add some minced parsley at the end.

You can use less garlic and anchovies all depends on individual preference.

Don't forget a salad and some wine.



NebGuy,thanks so much..this sharing of pasta recipes is getting real enjoyable!!!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 14:49:15
Chicken Alfredo ala (one of the managers at my work):

1-2 jars alfredo sauce (he made his own)
1 can diced tomatoes w/Italian seasonings, juice & all!
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 box fresh mushrooms (8 or 16 oz, washed & sliced)
chicken breast meat, cut into strips or chunks
1 can black olives, drained well

Saute cut up chicken in LARGE frying pan, in a little olive oil. When chicken is half done, add vegetables. Saute another 5-10. In another big pot, heat alfredo sauce, then mix in tomatoes, juice & all & simmer slowly while cooking other ingredients. When chicken is fully cooked & vegetables are tender, transfer chicken mixture into sauce pot. At the VERY END, RIGHT before serving, mix in the black olives. They should be hot, but not cooked.

Serve over hot cooked pasta of your choice. He used fettucini I think. He made this for a cooking contest at work, he makes something good every year & this was especially good.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 15:30:21
I saw Giada make this once, here is my version:

medium shell noodles, cooked
frozen peas, thawed
sundried tomato paste in the tube, 2-3 squirts
olive oil
spinach herb seasoning mix, optional
parmesan
red pepper flakes, optional

When done draining hot noodles, throw them back into the pan. Add the tomato paste & peas, mix well. Add whatever seasonings you want, then some olive oil--just a touch. Finish off w/cheese, mix & heat til cheese is gooey.
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/16 15:48:07
My joy would be one loaded w/ shellfish/ Lobster, clams, mussells, scallops, shrimp and maybe a little monk fish. That sounds like a dish Ill never see here at home. Our gormet itallian joins just arent seafood places like in the east. Even Chicago, hich is further from the coast has those high end seafood resturaunts but in Ohio we are being deprived. Cant some one open up a place and explore this need. Something more than Olive Garden seafood pasta with baby shrim, and scallops and a couple mussels in liason type sauce is at the edge of our envelope here.
help!!!
britt
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 20:06:41
Lee,

I'm not sure cold dishes count here, but I make a shrimp/ditalini thingee that folks seem to like.

8 oz. ditalini
1 lb shrimp (cooked, tails cut off)
1 cup corn kernels

Cook the ditalini....add the shrimp and corn for the last 3 mins. Cool under cold water in a sieve

Add the following to that in a bowl:

1/2 cup Chili sauce
3 TBs Oil
1 TBS Horseradish Sauce (if you like it)
1/8 tsp Season Salt ( I use Lawry's)
6 drops of hot pepper sauce
1 cup slivered Radishes
3 Green onions, chopped

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, stirring a few times

When ready to serve, add 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes and mixed with a TBS of vinegar, stir it all up and serve over lettuce leaves (your choice, but I like Romaine or Boston over Iceberg)
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 20:20:04
I also make a Hot Shrimp Creole to which I add Penne pasta. It's almost too easy to make (and yes, I could use clams instead but certain folks here prefer shrimp to clams, the heathens!)that I"m embarassed

for four servings:

20-24 medium shrimp, cooked, tails off
two "handfulls" penne cooked

one green pepper, chopped
one nice size Vidalia Onion chopped in BIG pieces
4 LARGE Kennett Square mushrooms (or elsewhere, but you want the kind that are about 3 inches across, sliced in 3/4" slices)
2 TBs oil

Saute the veg for about 5 mins in the oil. Not soft, but browned

Add:
1 can diced tomato (preferably with onion and garlic in it - if not add some garlic)
1 tsp Marjoram or Oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup Marsala wine ( the type you get in the condiment row at the supermarket is fine)
1/2 tsp pepper
TBS hot garlic sauce (this depends on tastes) or pepper sauce and garlic

let the veg simmer in the sauce for about 2 hours, add the shrimp and pasta and just heat through. Serve.

You can shut the sauce off if necessary and reheat later. Just hold off on the shrimp and pasta.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 20:46:01
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard
It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!
Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
http://www.rivolis.com/


Leethebard; Dearfolk,
It sounds as if trying to finish off an entire dinner there by oneself would be nearly as difficult as is navigating their website! Holy O Solo Mio, Batman! Everything popped in and out before I could read it!
The place sure sounds good, though. I'm up for pasta... pesto, especially... as soon as time and availability permit. Until then, I have to do with what I can buy at 2:15 A. M. -- breakfast, burgers, or whatever the all-night Kroger has available. Oh, for a home-cooked meal at about that time!
I'm Italian You Da Trut', Ort. Carlton in Athens, that Greek outpost of Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 21:05:47
Dearfolk,
As soon as time permits, I'm going to visit Copper Creek Brewing and have them create me something I've wanted to try for quite a while. I'll have the cook make a standard plate of pesto pasta and instead of adding the usual stuff: shrimp (as is on the menu) or blackened chicken (my personal preference), I'm going to have their homemade chili put on top of the pasto pasta. Now y'all don't shoot me, okay? I'm betting that it'll be quite good, especially with the addition of some finely chopped broccoli in the mix.
By the way, I don't think I can purchase broccoli rabe locally, which actually surprises me no end. Nor have I seen Sylvia's Collard Greens, but Glory's excellent products are ubiquitous.
No Pastafafoolingly, Ort. Carlton in Fagiolissimo Athens, Georgia.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 22:55:02
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard
It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!
Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
http://www.rivolis.com/


Leethebard; Dearfolk,
It sounds as if trying to finish off an entire dinner there by oneself would be nearly as difficult as is navigating their website! Holy O Solo Mio, Batman! Everything popped in and out before I could read it!
The place sure sounds good, though. I'm up for pasta... pesto, especially... as soon as time and availability permit. Until then, I have to do with what I can buy at 2:15 A. M. -- breakfast, burgers, or whatever the all-night Kroger has available. Oh, for a home-cooked meal at about that time!
I'm Italian You Da Trut', Ort. Carlton in Athens, that Greek outpost of Georgia.



Hi, Paison!!!
Dr. L.
Junior Burger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/20 23:26:50
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Now there's a great add in for pasta...sun dried tomatoes...gives the dish a great flavor!


Spagetti tossed with sun dried tomatoes and walnuts, and a little grated Parm. Simple, but intriguingly deliciouse.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/08/21 00:19:41
Walnuts would be good...or pine nuts,too!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/09/05 23:40:07
I don't think it's weird, I think it's the laziest way I've ever done Shrimp Diablo, and you could probably call it Vodka Arrabiata alla Shrimps? I dunno. It was good & I had a touchy stomach this week so I shared & the girls @ work went NUTS for this.



What I Did For Lunch This Week by stricken_detective

1 jar vodka pasta sauce (I used imported)
1 bag frozen shrimps, thawed
less than 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 box whole wheat fusili

Soak shrimp to get iodine out. 15 minutes in ice & water. Drain & do it again twice. After 45 minutes, pull tails off & put into a small bowl to wait for their turn.

Cook pasta according to package directions, salt the water & cook for about 12 minutes. Drain.

Put hot pasta back in pot, pour the vodka sauce over the hot pasta & mix well. Stir in red pepper flakes, then add shrimp.

Serve hot with grated parmesan, romano or whatever you like, just make sure the pasta is hot so the cheese gets melty.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/09/06 07:12:59
Yes...this is a great idea...and sprinkling tjhe red pepper flakes is perfect...always adds that bit of spicy hot toasta!!! The vodka with shrimp sounds delicious!
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/09/07 09:05:01
It has been some years ago since we were in Nevada. The place I will mention may have changed but it used to have pretty good stuff that woould qualify as roadfood both in the restaurant and snack bar. I speak of the Golden Gate Casino - Hotel which is in downtown Las Vegas. Compared to places on the Strip and some downtown, it is modest, perhaps more frequented by locals and Nevadans. It was sometimes easy to imagine that you were in an older las Vegas and that the person next to you at the gambling table or machine was a sheep herder in town to kick back.

Golden Gate has gotten good write-ups for many years for their special shrimp cocktail which they sell for $0.99 in the snack bar. Ninety-nine cents. The snack bar also had good sanfwiches and a different soup daily.

The reason I'm writing this and in this thread is because of the really good cream of tortellini soup I had there one day. I ate several times at the original Binions nearby across the steet and their snack bar also had a following and some food bargains. But that soup was as nice a simple dish as I've had.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/09/07 19:25:37
Pasta Timbale

White Sauce
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup A-P Flour
3 Cups Milk

Pasta Bake
1 Pound Spaghetti
3/4 Cup Chopped Ham
1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Emmenthaler or Gruyere Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Bread Cumbs
Olive Oil

To make the white sauce:
Melt Butter in a heavy saucepan, add the flour and stir until bubbly
Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat stirring until thick about 12-15 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and set aside

To make the Pasta Bake:
Cook the Spaghetti in boiling water until al dente. Drain and toss with half of the white sauce mix. Set aside, let cool completely
Combine the ham and cheeses with the remaining white sauce and mix well set aside.
Butter a 10 inch spring form pan. Dust with 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs
When pasta is cool enough, wet your hands and line the prepared pan with three quarters of the pasta mixture, pressing against the bottom of the pan and up the sides of the pan
Fill the center with the ham & cheese mixture, top with the remaining pasta mixture.
sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown

Let cool for 15 minutes, remove sides of the pan and serve

Variations:
Add sauted mushrooms to the ham and cheese mix
Add sauted onions, peppers to the mixture


This dish was on the catering menu where I worked in College. I loved it when somebody chose it from the menu (all ways meant extras, which was good for a starving college student)
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2008/09/07 22:26:10
Now this is very different,CajunKing...but putting it in a spring pan to mold it is unique...I bet it tastes different depending on whether you use the Swiss cheese or the Gruyere...each sounds very good!
analei
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2009/02/11 23:44:33
Well, i am laughing here because the recipes here sounds really good and interesing, but here is my UNUSUAL contribution:

hot wide fettucine tossed with salsa con queso sauce, avocado, and wee bit of cilantro. Topped with some crisp bacon.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2009/02/12 08:39:31
Sounds quite good...Mexican Italian...interesting!!!!
rainyday6
Hamburger
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? 2009/08/02 09:03:44
This isn't by any means light or healthy, but... I sometimes cook some pasta and top it with one of those frozen chicken Kiev things (baked of course).  The garlic butter inside the chicken is the sauce for the pasta and then I sprinkle it all with parmesan cheese.