Tilapia try out

Filet Mignon
2008/08/07 22:18:22
Just got some tilapia to cook but I find it rather boring. What ideas or recipes do you have to make it more sexy? (no jokes, thanks)...
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/07 22:33:21
Didn't you hear how terrible Tilapia is for you? Thats no joke.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 03:09:22
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo

Didn't you hear how terrible Tilapia is for you? Thats no joke.

Never heard that - what's the prob?
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 10:26:04
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28697&SearchTerms=tilapia
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 10:31:35
You're right -- its boring. Actually, its completely tasteless and is pitched as fish that doesn't taste "fishy" for people who don't like fish. Makes no sense to me.

And its also not the healthiest fish in the sea by a long shot.
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 10:36:36
The only thing going for it is it's pretty cheap. Outside of that, not a lot of reason to use it.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 12:29:25
For all the new tilapia haters out there who pointed to the recent "discoveries," please read this:http://www.aboutseafood.com/press/media-blog/sensational-tilapia-story-begins-unravel
and put it back into persepctive.

So, putting aside all the tilapia haters' comments, I generally apply a little olive oil to the fish and gently shake it in a bag with cajun spices, then grill it. Sometimes, I will do the same as above, but then give it a grated parmesan coating and pan fry in oil. And sometimes when using either of the previous methods, I will make a cream based sauce with some of the spices in it to give some layering to it.

I have also cut tilapia into slices, dipped into cream (which I seasoned with pepper), then beer batter, and then deep fried. And the same method, I cut into smaller pieces to make a sort of popcorn tilapia.

what ever you add to the fish, that's the flavor the tilapia will take, since tilapia is mild (but not "tasteless").

I often find it funny when people say something is "tasteless." tastelss? really? because water has taste to it. Bland might be a better word than tasteless, but tilapia is not really bland, it's simply very mild - which is why it's attractive to people who don't like "fishy" or strong flavored fish, but want to eat fish to be healthy (and tilapia, despite the rantings of one journalist - is healthy). The mildness can easily be enhanced by adding your favorite spices and/or sauces.

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:08:12
I take Tilapia and make them like cutlets...breaded with lots of parsley,garlic, and parm. cheese...fried in olive oil!!! Delicious!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:09:10
I recently had the (unfortunate) opportunity to try Tilapia. After going down the list of seafood items available at a Santa Barbara "seafood" restaurant, I had to have the Tilapia because they were sold out of everything else.
It was late on a Sunday evening. So, I ordered the Tilapia and, couldn't even finish it. It was soooooo bad! Bland would be a compliment.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I take Tilapia and make them like cutlets...breaded with lots of parsley,garlic, and parm. cheese...fried in olive oil!!! Delicious!!!

Lee, with all due respect, my arm would even taste good that way.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:17:43
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

For all the new tilapia haters out there who pointed to the recent "discoveries," please read this:http://www.aboutseafood.com/press/media-blog/sensational-tilapia-story-begins-unravel

So, putting aside all the tilapia haters' comments, I generally apply a little olive oil to the fish and gently shake it in a bag with cajun spices, then grill it. Sometimes, I will do the same as above, but then give it a grated parmesan coating and pan fry in oil. And sometimes when using either of the previous methods, I will make a cream based sauce with some of the spices in it to give some layering to it.

I have also cut tilapia into slices, dipped into cream (which I seasoned with pepper), then beer batter, and then deep fried. And the same method, I cut into smaller pieces to make a sort of popcorn tilapia.

what ever you add to the fish, that's the flavor the tilapia will take, since tilapia is mild (but not "tasteless").

I often find it funny when people say something is "tasteless." tastelss? really? because water has taste to it. Bland might be a better word than tasteless, but tilapia is not really bland, it's simply very mild - which is why it's attractive to people who don't like "fishy" or strong flavored fish, but want to eat fish to be healthy (and tilapia, despite the rantings of one journalist - is healthy). The mildness can easily be enhanced by adding your favorite spices and/or sauces.

You know what's fun about this place? Everyone gets to have his or her own opinion. And exactly like the research studies you cite: the negative report regarding this fish was from a research scientist. Saying it was a "reporters" opinion doesn't change that fact.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:27:48
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Lee, with all due respect, my arm would even taste good that way.

True.....but ,sorry,I'll stick with the Tilapia...but you're right the cutlet is great with veal,chicken,pork,turkey, cardboard...etc!!!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Tilapia try out 2008/08/08 13:57:49
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

You know what's fun about this place? Everyone gets to have his or her own opinion. And exactly like the research studies you cite: the negative report regarding this fish was from a research scientist. Saying it was a "reporters" opinion doesn't change that fact.

the Winston-Salem journalist cited an article in a journal, however, the W/S journalist failed to tell the reader that the same article in said journal, also contained information that didn't sustain the rsults of the one study done by the WFU professor. That's called biased reporting, and is misleading at best, and is sensationalist at its worst.