Swordfish

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Swordfish - Tue, 08/19/08 4:06 PM
We just finished a great meal at a Greek seafood restaurant (see also "ice cream") and I first ordered grilled swordfish (which was listed on the menu) and the waitress gave me a wierd look.

I asked "What?" and she said "You don't want it broiled?"
I asked Well is it really supposed to be broiled? and she said Oh yes.(which made me wonder why they had it grilled on the menu) Anyway,

It was OK when I then ordered it broiled, very fresh, but even tho it was covered with herbs it was rather tastless. So, I ask you:

Is is supposed to be broiled?

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
RE: Swordfish - Tue, 08/19/08 4:21 PM
I usually give it a quick marinade and grill it. I've never broiled it, but since they're both dry heat I wouldnt think the end result would be substantially different, outside of a loss of smokiness.

Swordfish is a very firm meaty fish, it is however fairly mild if fresh. Which is why it takes a marinade well.

easy1
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Swordfish - Tue, 08/19/08 4:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

We just finished a great meal at a Greek seafood restaurant (see also "ice cream") and I first ordered grilled swordfish (which was listed on the menu) and the waitress gave me a wierd look.

I asked "What?" and she said "You don't want it broiled?"
I asked Well is it really supposed to be broiled? and she said Oh yes.(which made me wonder why they had it grilled on the menu) Anyway,

It was OK when I then ordered it broiled, very fresh, but even tho it was covered with herbs it was rather tastless. So, I ask you:

Is is supposed to be broiled?

I think your waitress should have been "broiled" by the way she spoke to you, but that's just my opinion. A decent waitress would have know the differences in the preparation, as well as the differences in the taste of the two dishes. Correctly noted, Swordfish is mild in flavor, and can be prepared in a number of ways. I've had both broiled and grilled, and if properly done, neither gets dry.

I've also had a version called "steak-house" style that I had at Maggianos Little Italy @ South Coast Plaza in California. It was a very thick piece of Sword, that had a blackened-like coating on it, but it wasn't blackening seasoning, it was more like a steak-sauce flavor. It was great, and the sword was very fresh!

At home, I usally grill it on my gas-Weber grill, olive oil salt/pepper with fresh lemon after its done, that's it for my taste.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 12:45 AM

I prefer the Broiled Swordfish, usually topped at the end of the cooking cycle with some lemony bread-crumbs and stuck back into the broiler just long enough to toast the bread-crumbs. Swordfish has long been my favorite fish entree, but lately the lack of availability in our Midwestern Markets have turned me to AHI Tuna Steaks prepared the same way.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 8:05 AM
Its so confusing. I started cooking in the 70's back then it was either grill(chromed flat top) or broiler(gass char broiler as well as a salamander type top broiler. Some top end kitchens used Vulcan gas fired top broles with the elements on top and the grates on the bottom. Ive also worked w/ a double broiler with flames on both sides of the meat. When I hear grill i always, first think, the flat top griddle....
I would ask the server to explain the difference between grill-broil as they so it(hopefully shell know
britt

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 9:57 AM

Britt,
I suffer the same confusion of terms. 'Grill' to me is the Weber/Brinkman/Sunbeam, be it gas -charcoal-or wood fired.
When we use a solid bottom utensil like a griddle or frying pan I usually call it 'Pan-Fried'. I do that because I do not own a large flat permanent 'grill' (solid surface, heated from underneath) device.
Broiled receives heat from Above...usually in our kitchen range- under the oven.

I do my Broiling on a 'sizzle platter' heated with a little lemon butter melted on it before the fish is placed there, then a teaspoon of lemon juice on top of the fish 'steak'. As I said, when the fish is very close to being finished I sprinkle breadcrumbs soaked in the lemonbutter and put the fish back under the broiler to 'toast' the bread crumbs.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2935
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 10:30 AM
Yep, that's the password!

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 12:50 PM
We did a beautiful tuns dish. Dredge the tuna(best w/yellow fin)in seasoned flower and coat liberaly with an egg wash with chopped garlic and a lot of fresh grated romano cheese. Set on a sizzle in cook under the top broiler until the egg is nicely browned.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
RE: Swordfish - Fri, 08/22/08 1:04 PM
I love Swordfish and try to eat it at least once a month provided, it looks very fresh in the case. I like a small but, thick piece which I will saute in a bit of butter and olive oil just to the point of doneness.
A bit of parsley and a squeeze of lemon and a few more drops of EVOO complete the dish. Simple and tasty. If there is more than just me at the dinner table, I'll grill it outside.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: Swordfish - Sat, 08/23/08 12:37 PM
I always hate to say that swordfish has the most parisites that I've ever seen. Once there was such a giantic worm in my fish.....I have not eaten swordfish in years!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Swordfish - Sat, 08/23/08 12:47 PM
I'm a fish lover, I eat fish at least two times a week. ButI have not eaten swordfish in years. Not because of worms, but because they have been way way overfished with the use of long lines ( like 20 miles long with thousands of hooks).

Cheers, John