joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
2008/08/21 18:48:42 (permalink)

Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY

Taken from another thread.
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

This is a weenie wagon on the corner of Old Rte 9 and Meyers Corners Rd. in Wappingers Falls. The woman who runs it is a sweet lady who has prayer card tacked up inside the stand to remind her to say prayers for people who are sick, having surgery,etc. The dogs are Boars Head and have a great snap to them. This is my first attempt at posting a review, so go see her and say hi. I will be doing some more hot dog stands from the east of the Hudson soon.
MD
I have some photos, but don't know how to upload them....any helpers out there???

NAAMikey, At your service.

Thanks for giving us the info on Granma Poshi's. She is a deliteful, fun and caring person who serves up a great dog. Her correct location is at the corner of Old Route 9 and Middlebush. Very easy to find.

I arrived a little early for lunch and Poshi(thats what she said her name was. I didn't ask if it was first or last) was checking the oil in the generator and getting ready for business.

By the looks of Poshi's cart I thought she was new in business. The fact is, she is doing this for 16 years. And her cart is so clean and well kept that it looks brand new.

[img]

Here is a closeup of the menu.

[img]

This was my first Boars Head all beef dog. It was delicious. Great flavor and texture with just the right snap. Here is Poshi getting my Boars Head Bad Boy ready.

[img]

I went with a chili and onion dog. Although Poshi said the chili was not homemade, it was excellent. It wasn't busy so I stood at the window and ate my dog while talking to Poshi. It turns out her daughter if from Easton, Pa. I told her about Charlie's Pool Room right across the border. I hope she gets to stop there. Poshi also takes the time to wrap your dog for easy eating and supplies a spoon to get at the leftovers. Naturally I had to rip the wrapping for a photo.

[img]

I put Granma Poshi's on my highly recommended list. Her smile and caring nature is infectious. Oh yeah, and she has one more thing going for her, She's Italian!!!![/img][/img][/img][/img]

13 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 11:01:36 (permalink)
    And I really love the sign above her takeout window. Wonder if that helps with difficult customers. Thanks Joe!
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1838
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 11:08:14 (permalink)
    Nancy - Hahaha - I think all of us at one time or another in the work week could use that little quote!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 12:59:23 (permalink)
    Nice report Joe! One can never get enough reports on the good stands..
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 13:02:53 (permalink)
    Great pics!!!Love to see independant carts serving good food...
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 13:09:27 (permalink)
    Mine would say 'dear lord, please give me the strength to kick this person's ass' :)

Edited to add--that's why Granma Poshi is a nicer person than me.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 13:18:30 (permalink)
    That is a fine looking chili dog, joerogo! I like the fact that the plain dog is called a "baldy". Nicely done and thanks for the report.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 17:10:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Joe, nice job. That's a very thoughtful lady to provide the plastic spoon.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/22 21:27:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nancypalooza

Mine would say 'dear lord, please give me the strength to kick this person's ass' :)

Edited to add--that's why Granma Poshi is a nicer person than me.

Hey Nancy, Welcome back. You didn't think anyone would miss you?

How about this. I was soooo busy taking pictures and talking with Poshi that I stiffed her on the bill. I got back on the interstate and realized I didn't pay for my food. I was horrified. I stopped back today and told her I was ordering another dog but this time... and she said "I'll bet your going to pay for it". We had a good laugh and I had another great dog.

Believe me though. It's nice to be able to grab a good dog while on the road, but it's also nice to meet someone like Poshi. It's what Roadfood is all about,IMHO.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/23 20:52:57 (permalink)
    Oh I just slip in and out from time to time Joe. :) That honestly sounds like something I might do and you are a real boy scout to have gone back. She sounds like a hoot!
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1873
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/08/23 22:23:03 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Sounds like another possible stop in the near future .
    Great job with this report Joe !!
    Do you have the general hours and days she is open
    I like the baldy dog also .
    Cheers

Benzee
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/09/04 19:22:39 (permalink)
    Joe, how long did it take you to get over there from where you live? I looked at my trusty map book and at first, it seemed like such a hike. Then I took another look (different states are on different pages) and it looks like you just took 84 over basically, correct? I know nothing about the area. Seafarer John probably would. I'd love to check out that part of the state. For somebody who's been to or through 31 states and Canada twice, I feel like I've not travelled even 1/5 of the places I want to go! I don't understand why people want to go running off to Europe all the time when such great, tasty and beautiful things are only a few hours away.

And that cart and hot dogs look good, although I don't eat mine with anything on 'em. Prices look reasonable and she looks like a really nice person to do business with. I'm trying NOT to eat any hot dogs before the 20th. Really trying, so I'll not look at those pictures anymore.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/09/04 19:52:13 (permalink)
    Hi Harriet, I guess this would be the Upper Hudson Valley. Beautiful area. For me the ride was just under 2 hours. If your coming from Jersey you might want to come through Sleepy Hollow, Ossining and West Point Area. A great scenic trip.

And Granma Poshi alone is worth the trip. Great Lady, dishing out Great Food.

See you on the tour.

P.S. This is also NY wine country. I hope to have time to hit a few tasting rooms on my next trip.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Granma Poshi's Hot Dog Cart/Wappingers Falls, NY 2008/09/04 21:19:30 (permalink)
    Joe: Wappinger is the Mid Hudson Valley ( that weird name comes from the early Dutch settlers understanding of the name of the local indian tribe). Let me digress: A member of that tribe was a certain indian named by the Dutch as "Speck". Speck posed as a chief and an early Dutch settler offered money and trinkets to him for land. Speck agreed. Later other Dutch came along and offered him goods and money for land - he agreed. This went on for years and Speck sold thousands of acres of land to the Dutch settlers. Long after Speck and the original Dutch were dead the English took over and regularized deeds with actual surveys. It turned out that good Indian Speck had sold the same parcels over and over again to the unsuspecting Dutch settlers. Years and years of litigation under British law gradually settled the matter, but the name Speck lives on in Dutchess County, a stones throw from Gramma Poshi's truck as Spackenkill - the name of a stream and a School District.

Sorry, but I was unaware of Granma Poshi as I rarely attempt to navigate the truly horrible traffic on Rt 9 - a road that has grown in my lifetime from two lanes to three and now to six lanes - and every time a new lane is added another 10,000 cars arrive on the scene - all wanting to use the same lanes at the same time. Be assured that i will brave the traffic ( after suitable medication) and have a hot dog with Granmma in the very near future.

You are right about the scenery and history of our area - all well worth researching before planning a trip along the Hudson .And there's
    undiscovered great Roadfood just waiting for an intrepid Roadfooder to devote a liesurely trip to.

Cheers, John

Cheers, John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1