Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets

Junior Burger
2008/08/21 20:40:48
Looking for your picks on a great selection of pancakes and omelets and other breakfast and brunch items. They don't need to be at the same location, although it may be tough if someone wanted a combo. Thanks.
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/08/22 11:09:02
brownstone diner in Jersey City
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/08/22 18:28:37
Broadway Diner (next town south of Jersey City) in Bayonne NJ. Right around the corner from Turnpike Exit 14a.

They claim to serve the Worlds Best Pancakes. They are very, very good.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/08/22 18:39:41
Rainbow diner in Brick or the Ocean Bay Diner in Point Pleasant
Ranger Steve
Junior Burger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/08/30 19:28:27
The Cornerstone Cafe on Harrison Ave. in Frenchtown. Or just north, in Milford, there's Ma De's, behind the old train station. In either case, the pancakes come 3 to a serving, and are as big as the plate, and are perfect. The Cornerstone offers home-made strawberry syrup, too.
njkim
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/08/31 22:08:36
I think that the Sage Diner in Mt. Laurel and the Marlton Diner in Marlton NJ serve up good breakfasts, especially their omelettes
LeeMargo
Hamburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/09/01 14:56:32
www.thepopshop.com in collingswood... on the weekends the kiddies can wear their jammies...too cute! It was actually on the Foodnetwork for a throw down w. Bobby Flay... for grilled cheese, but the breakfasts, are OUTTA this world!
njkim
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/09/01 15:03:13
quote:
Originally posted by LeeMargo

www.thepopshop.com in collingswood... on the weekends the kiddies can wear their jammies...too cute! It was actually on the Foodnetwork for a throw down w. Bobby Flay... for grilled cheese, but the breakfasts, are OUTTA this world!

I was just there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That place is incredible!! Over 30 kinds of grilled cheese - I was like a kid in a candy store. I did get pancakes though (they call them Bettys) and they were very nice.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/09/01 17:02:18
quote:
Originally posted by njkim

quote:
Originally posted by LeeMargo

I was just there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That place is incredible!! Over 30 kinds of grilled cheese - I was like a kid in a candy store. I did get pancakes though (they call them Bettys) and they were very nice.

I saw this place a few years ago on a Food Network show called Recipe for Success. A husband/wife team. They were just putting the place together. Very cute. The link listed in not for their site. Their site does not seem to be working, right now (I would have included a link if it was). They have the largest menu, I have ever seen. You name it, they serve it!! Eery variation of breakfast and lunch offerings. Countess options for pancakes, omlets, breads, cheeses, etc.

I definately want to take a ride and give this place a go!
LeeMargo
Hamburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/09/01 18:26:16
http://www.thepopshopusa.com/ I posted the wrong URL, I apologize.
agnesrob
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/09/01 19:19:51
My family likes Eleni's Pancake House and Family Restaurant in Montvale, NJ. Great pancakes and breakfasts!
Mel54
Junior Burger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/11/13 20:59:45
Country Pancake House in Ridgewood, NJ.

Lots of people like Matthew's Diner in Waldwick, but I was treated so badly as a woman dining alone there (twice) that I can't recommend it.

Tom Sawyer diner in Paramus.

Daily Treat in Ridgewood.

DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2008/12/20 10:01:35
The Ocean Bay Diner in Point Pleasant, the Princess Maria Diner in Wall Twp, I second the Rainbow Diner Brick, and the Americana Diner in Shrewsbury all havde incredible pancakes. As for omelets you can't go wrong with the Mariners Cove restaurant in Brielle. They have an astonishing amount of omelets on the menu (over 200) along with good (but not as good as the ones emntioned above) pancakes.

As for the Pop Shop, my wife and I made a trip down there a few months ago after seeing the Throwdown episode. We really enjoyed it and would go back if it wasn't so far.

Dave
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/29 09:40:32
Yesterday my wife and I went to a place thats rated well (Zagats, NJ Monthly, etc) and we didn't like it at all. The Country Pancake House in Ridgewood serves rediculously large portoions, I got 2 12'' pancakes with my order and they were hanging over the plate! They have 112 different pancake options, but I found their plain regular pancakes to be incredably dry and chewy. I guess their idea is quantity over quality.

Dave
agnesrob
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/29 10:12:29
The Westwood Pancake House and Diner has really good pancakes and omlettes. Their burgers are also good.
ken8038
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/29 10:17:04
Re : Country Pancake Hoouse: <<They have 112 different pancake options, but I found their plain regular pancakes to be incredably dry and chewy. I guess their idea is quantity over quality. >>

Interesting. My wife and I have been there 3 times over perhaps 3 years (each time on a weekday, I would never dare go there on a weekend) and each time the pancakes and omeletes were a less tasty than the time before. We've sort of lost interest in ever going back, it just doesn't seem to be as good as it was.

acer2x
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/29 10:55:28
Hannah G's in Ventnor. Good pancakes and I had a very good nova and onion omelet:

http://hannahgs.com/

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/29 13:56:51
What exactly does a great pancake mean?  Fluffy?  Rich and crape like?

It is because they are big?  A trend showing up more and more nowadays.  Or, because they are very light?  Or, in the case of my particular favorite pancake in Pittsburgh, very rich and more of a French style pancake...Not light at all.

The lightest ones I've ever had were at the Pancake Pantry in Nashville.  All these mentioned for NJ....Perhaps we could hear some more specifics about them? 

The ones at the Brownstone..They showed them being made on FoodTV so I know what Fatty is talking about.  But a lot of the others being mentioned..

For me, the big problem I find is too many diners' pancakes are too heavy and dense.   They suck up so much syrup because they are so heavy.   Maybe it's because they are using a mix?  I do think most are using buttermilk, lots of eggs and other good ingredients..Maybe not?

To me, I should be able to eat a stack and still be able to pick myself up from the table without feeling I won't need to eat for two days.   The exception being the crepe type..They are very rich and filling.
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/03/29 13:59:38
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/31 14:26:49
CCinNJ

Broadway Diner (next town south of Jersey City) in Bayonne NJ. Right around the corner from Turnpike Exit 14a.

They claim to serve the Worlds Best Pancakes. They are very, very good.

There is a diner in Summit, NJ also called The Broadway Diner, they also claim to have the world's best pancakes (they are not!). Weird

joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/03/31 14:33:15
I love breakfast and Nanny's is one of the best.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=487004&high=nanny's

As soon as I gather some more photos of Nanny's I will do a review.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/04/03 17:18:06
GNeedles,
I think both Broadway Diners are owned by the same guy. I've eaten at the one in Summit many times and agree the pancakes aren't that good.

BaahBen,
I don't know. I just know a good pancake when I eat it. The ones I had at the Country Pancake House besides being rediculously big were dry, and very heavy. I ate maybe 1/5 of the 3 huge pancakes and was very full and they soaked up so much syrup and were still dry.

We also ate at the Brownstone Diner in Jersey City shortly after seeing it on Diners Drive-ins and Dives and were disappointed as well. I don't remember why we didn't like the pancakes, just that we didn't. Although we did make a side trip to Boulivard Drinks in Journal Square for some incredible hot dogs so the trip wasn't a complete waste.

Dave
Freddies Mommy
Junior Burger
RE: Your NJ Picks For Great Pancakes And Omelets 2009/06/11 14:48:40
In the NJ shore there is Amy's Omlette is Fantastic.  I also like the turning point.