Great sandwich in an unlikely place

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1091
  • Reward points : 0
Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/3/08 12:41 PM
We were at our local Jewel grocery store in our hometown of Highland Park, IL, last weekend, when my wife got hungry and ordered a sandwich at the kosher deli there. I wasn't expecting to eat any, but when I saw how high they'd piled the turkey pastrami I had to try. As it is, we split it, with half enough for a meal. The pastrami was from Romanian, a kosher food place in Chicago, and the taste and fat content were perfect. The sandwich was on a very nice roll, as well. My son had a kosher salami sandwich which I sampled and it was top-notch as well.

Not that anyone is going to go to the grocery store for lunch, but just thought I'd mention it if you're ever in the area.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Thu, 09/4/08 7:59 AM
The A&P supermarket next to where I work in Woodcliff Lake, NJ also offers really good fresh made sandwhiches. You just pick out the roll of your choice in the bread section and bring it to the deli counter. There are allot of buisinesses within walking distance so the also offer a really extensive hot food bar, salad bar and sushi. During lunch hours they open a seperate register so people can pay more quickly.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Thu, 09/4/08 8:15 AM
In the early '90's in south Iowa City there was a strip mall ripe for urban renewal. Amidst the struggling nail salon, discount faux flowers, always closed insurance agency, adult movies 4 sale cheap - there was a sub shop. It's name - "Sub Shop".

Great bread, turkey roasted on site (the smell alone drew you in.), deli meats sliced to order, vege's were always fresh, never limp... it was a gem amidst the rubble.

Urban renewal eventually came and I never did see if it relocated or just closed up.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6067
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Thu, 09/4/08 8:16 AM
Our A&P has the same service...and I'm willing to bet many more do too!!!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Thu, 09/4/08 9:52 AM
When Jewel was in Milwaukee( no longer) I always thought their sandwiches were excellent.And I am sure it was the quality of their ingredients.Unfortunately, the stores in my neck of the woods have pretty tasteless versions.

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1091
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Fri, 09/5/08 11:41 AM
Come to think of it, I used to enjoy great sandwiches at the deli of the Jewel that was on Belden and Clark in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago back when I was in high school in the late 80's (it was a block from my school). Wonderful, fresh-baked poppy-seed rolls and fresh roast beef. I think the price was $1.90, and I'd usually accompany it with an 18-cent can of generic soda pop. That was my typical lunch in high school.

That store was torn down around 1990 (along with its neighbor the Belden Deli) and a mid-rise apartment/shopping complex was built in its place. The mainstay of that complex was Tower Records, which closed its doors a few years ago, a victim of iTunes, I suppose. It was a huge deal when Tower opened in around 1991.

Navy_Brat913
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 1:52 AM
Our area recently received a Wegman's grocery store, and their fresh made deli sandwiches are to die for. You can get a 7" or a 14" sub, or turn any sub into a wrap. The bread is bakery fresh, the meat is sliced that day, the toppings are fresh. Several other area grocery stores also prepare sandwiches made to order in the deli, but only Harris Teeter compares with Wegmans here, the rest use sub-par ingredients or stale bread.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 7:25 AM
My local Fulmers grocery has great deli sandwiches. $2.99. Your choice of wat ever meats and cheeses in the case(all 299) They give a choice of breads, toppings and dressings. They load them up nearly 3/4lb using the shaved meats(yeah, they pre-cut) Still all in all a great value for dollar. I cant beat it anyplace in town.
britt

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 7:39 AM

Grocery store delis seem to be dissapearing in general. I've been looking and noticing this for some time. In this region, it is either a place that sells pizza and Italian to-go meals with grinders as part their repetoire or Subway and the rest of the sandwich chains. Subway is everywhere. The only other place that serves 'deli' sandwiches with square bread and not a French roll is Arby's. Panera has opened in this town and may be the only upscale sandwich place here.

A recent standalone family run deli opened and closed within 6 mos. There were at least 3 Subways within less than a mile from this place. There are no places to get a sandwich that has any soul.
I have memories of great overstuffed sandwiches where half was enough till later, but they seem to be hard to find.

mark

leethebard
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 10:23 AM
True..true...still can get a great stuffed sandwich in Manhattan...few other towns,I guess.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 10:43 AM
Locally, the best is the Publix Ultimate made with your choice of freshly cut Boar's Head cold cuts on a choice of very good rolls. I had a whole sub made with roast beef, turkey, and their pesto/parmesan ham with all the standard toppings for $7. It is a mighty large sandwich. pb

leethebard
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 11:04 AM
Sounds great...and you can't do much better than Boar's Head! Unfortunately,no Publix around here.

juleebella
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Wed, 09/10/08 11:22 AM
I'll second the vote for Publix - their subs are great!

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Great sandwich in an unlikely place - Fri, 09/12/08 8:19 PM
Me too. We moved into our new home in Nokomis, FL last week and until we found our pots and pans we lived on those sandwiches from Publix. I am fortunate enough to have a Publix within five minutes of my house.