for the sterns: how do you get this job???

aimala66
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points : 0
for the sterns: how do you get this job??? - Mon, 11/3/03 2:21 PM
i'm not sure if this has been asked on the message board at all (i'd be suprised if it hadn't) but this question is for the sterns (or to anyone who might have the answer)....how did you get to do this for a living? i'm really curious....what are both of your backgrounds? did you start as restaurant reviewers for a local paper. did you just decide to compile your dining experiences into a book? was it hard to get published at first?

by the way, i love listening to you guys on "the splendid table". jane, you reviewed a restaurant on air that you claimed to be your favorite....it was a small mexican plce owned by a former model in new mexico...in the basement of a ramada.....what was the name of that place? i'll be through there this summer and it sounded to wonderful; i've been thinking about it for over a year now.

thanks-amy

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: for the sterns: how do you get this job??? - Mon, 11/3/03 4:02 PM
Hello, Amy;

We were traveling around the country in the mid-1970s writing a book about long-haul truck drivers. We kept looking for a guidebook that would tell us where the great local restaurants were. There wasn't one, and we had found a lot of good eats in our travels, so we wrote it. Because Trucker made money for the publisher, they were happy to do Roadfood (which we originally proposed, I must confess, with the title "Truckstoppin'") .

The Tucson Mexican place (which isn't all that small, but IS pretty wonderful) is[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=598']Cafe Poca Cosa[/url].

aimala66
RE: for the sterns: how do you get this job??? - Tue, 11/4/03 12:25 PM
thanks for the reply!

"eat your way across the u.s.a." has become a necessity for my travels. in fact, my boyfriend and i often choose a destination based on restaurants you've recommended. when i went down to georgia last spring to stand up in a wedding, the best part of the trip was trying melears bbq. the wedding was predictably uneventful, but the pig thrilled!!!!

can't wait to try the place in n.m.
amy

aimala66
RE: for the sterns: how do you get this job??? - Tue, 11/4/03 12:27 PM
i mean, arizon.....