New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 16 of 34, messages 901 to 960 of 1989
CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7761
  • Reward points : 0
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/3/08 11:51 PM
Stephen Rushmore explained it in another thread...

"We needed to condense the thread in anticipation of a software upgrade. It will be merged back after the weekend"

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2202
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 12/4/08 4:34 PM
I've been in NJ since last Saturday and spent today with my mother in Hunterdon County. We "celebrated" her 89th (belated) birthday by going to Charlie's Pool Room for lunch. I spent a good part of the drive from Flemington to Alpha (via Frenchtown) preparing her for what she might expect when we got to our destination. She loves hot dogs and is somewhat adventurous so I figured (even though I had never been there either) "what the heck." Well, she loved everything about it. The dogs, the sauce, Joe (we didn't see much of John), and the "ambience". She only ate 1 w/sauce and I had 2 mealies. She wished she ordered 2 and I craved 2 more, but we managed to resist in order to save room for pizza in Whitehouse Station 2 hours later. More on that later. Anyway, CPR was everything I imagined and much, much more. If there is a Roadfood Hall of Fame, Joe & John should be in it. pb

DPuro329
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 12/4/08 9:21 PM
Hi everyone,
I ate at a hot dog truck that I've been meaning to try but for whatever reason just hadn't until today. Jo-Jo's Truck is on Route 88 in Brick. it is located west of Route 70 and east of The Ocean Lanes bowling alley. They serve a nice sized skinless sabrett dirty water dog, an Italian Hot Dog and Cheesesteaks. I opted for the Sabrett with their homemade chili. The dog was nicely heated and the chili was good, Very meaty with a sweetness to it. The owner (I believe) said he uses cinnamon as the only spice and his chili is a Coney style sauce and not hot at all. It was a nice combination of flavors and overall a good dog. I would return and eat there again.

Dave

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6082
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 12/5/08 1:40 AM
Thanks for the info....I've seen the truck but never stopped....I'll give it a try!

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 12/6/08 2:45 PM
Nice article (and video) about Dickie Dees Italian Hot Dogs in Newark. They are one of the oldest places making Italian Hot Dogs. The owners mention Jimmy Buff's and acknowledge that they were the originators of this popular sandwich that was invented in Newark in the early 1930's

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/these_couples_are_top_dogs_in.html

jbones
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 12/6/08 9:37 PM
not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but two of my local favorites are munce's lunch truck on st. georges ave. in front of rahway park and father and son's on st. georges ave. in linden. during the summer, you're guaranteed to wait on a line for munce's. father and son's has some good, spicy chili.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 12/15/08 10:00 PM
I was in Long Branch today and stopped at an enclosed hot dog cart/trailer selling Sabretts right off Route 36 on Edwards Ave. The street is East of Monmouth Park and before the beach and the Sabrett umbrella is very visable from Route 36. I had eaten here several years ago and for whatever reason (probably my OCD obsession to eat at as many hot dog joints once as I possibly can) I hadn't been back. So I ordered a chili dog (the guy swore the chili was homemade and beanless...we're batting 1000 excellent) It was really good. The dog was skinless, I'm not sure of the size but I know it wasn't a skimpy one and it was heated all the way through as it should have been. The chili was really good. Meaty with a nice tomatoey flavor and a nice spicy kick. It wasn't as spicy as the chili at JJ's truck in Newark (which gives me hiccups when I eat it) but it definitely had a nice kick and nice flavor without being overpoweringly spicy. Overall a good dog and I'll stop back.

Dave

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 12/15/08 10:03 PM
I think this might cause some good "discusion" but what does everyone think the most overrated hot dog joint in NJ is?

In a 3 way tie...

Hot Dog Johnny's
Rutt's Hutt
The Windmill

Just my $.02

What does everyone else think?

Dave

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 12/15/08 10:17 PM
Most Overrated: Hot Dog Johnny's.

John Fox enumerated the reasons much better than I can.

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 12/16/08 5:42 AM
The Windmill....I'm not crazy about their reformulated Frank...nor their anemic roll!!!!,,,,still an ok dog...but I've had better!!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 8:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

I think this might cause some good "discusion" but what does everyone think the most overrated hot dog joint in NJ is?

In a 3 way tie...

Hot Dog Johnny's
Rutt's Hutt
The Windmill

Just my $.02

What does everyone else think?

Dave

Good topic. And of course there will be a wide range of opinions since there are different tastes. And different likes and dislikes since N.J. has many types of hot dogs and ways of preparing them.

I like the Windmill's dogs and have been enjoying them more than I have in the past. I was surprised how good my dog tasted on the recent Hot Dog Tour. Many though consider this dog bland. Especially those who favor a spicier all beef hot dog.

Rutt's Hutt, due to their mild flavor and deep frying elicits the full spectrum of opinions. Described as the best dog in the Universe or the worst. I like their dogs, especially topped with their unique relish. Most of the time I would prefer a beef and pork dog grilled rather than deep fried, though sometimes nothing hits the spot like a well done ripper. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a particular type of dog. But overall I would generally prefer a dog from the Galloping Hill Inn or Windmill to Rutt's, Hiram's or other places that fry a beef and pork dog. I can definitely understand Rutt's being described as overrated. So many people I know of have gone there for the first time with great expectations only to be disappointed. I would say that our friends from Chicago who are used to all beef dogs would probably consider Rutt's highly overrated. I do know 2 people from Chicago who love the dogs at Rutt's. I can't consider them overrated since I happen to enjoy them very much, especially when I get a craving for them. Sort of like the craving I get occasionally for White Castle hamburgers. Not my favorite burger, but sometimes I have to have them.

Hot Dog Johnny's, in my opinion is the most overrated hot dog. Although there are places that sell more hot dogs, Hot Dog Johnny's is known by more people than any hot dog joint in the state with the exception of Rutt's Hut. First time I went to Johnny's I was expecting a very good dog, though one opinion I read stated that their dogs were bland and overrated. So I wasn't that surprised to reach that conclusion myself. I thought they were horrible after going the first time. It was a few years later that I returned after hearing ad nauseum that they were good and thinking maybe I just had a bad experience or that Johnny's had an off day. When I went back, I found that they weren't horrible, just mediocre. I was expecting a lot due to their reputation which is why I called them horrible.

I have since been back a few times. Once with the Munchmobile and 2 or 3 times since I happenned to be in the area. Compared to even the milder West Jersey dogs, Hot Dog Johnny's is bland. That was the opinion of the entire 8 member S.W.A.T. Dog Team when we went. And we compared apples with apples as we went to a few places in the area serving the same style dogs. Johnny's was rated below the others. The skinless dogs come with mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, and a pickle slice. I've omitted the ketchup, relish, and onions.

Johnny's is not only the most popular hot dog joint in West Jersey, but the most popular eatery of any kind. The Star Ledger did an article about this a few years back. The reporter contacted me and wanted me to say something favorable about the place. I just couldn't. I was quoted as a dissenter.

People who like this place often say (and post) about the atmosphere. Or nostalgia since many grew up eating at Hot Dog Johnny's. While I agree that atmosphere, setting, nostalgia, etc. may add to or enhance the overall experience, to me it doesn't make the hot dogs taste any better. The first year of the Munchmobile, the panel compared Hot Dog Johnny's to Toby's Cup. Toby's is located in a dingy stretch of Route 22 while Johnny's is located in a beautiful rural section of Route 46 overlooking the Pequest River. The dogs at Toby's are much better than Hot Dog Johnny's, yet the entire panel picked Hot Dog Johnny's. The reason? Toby's couldn't compare to Johnny's in terms of atmosphere! Unbelievable. They were supposed to be judging hot dogs, not destinations for a Hallmark Card. I would have had more respect for this particular panel if they just said that HDJ's dogs tasted better than Toby's.

The woman who owns Johnny's can be downright nasty at times. This aside, I'm glad that the place is there and doing well because so many people love the place. I wish every hot dog joint success, but it saddens me that there are places that serve a much better hot dog, but for other reasons go under. Syd's is an example.

The whole thing reminds me of a restaurant serving quality Italian food that goes under after being opened less than a year while places like the Olive Garden thrive because of being well known and for other reasons not having to do with the quality of the food. This may be a bad analogy since the Olive Garden is a chain while Johnny's is a small family owned restaurant. For me, hot dogs or any food should be judged on the basis of taste and quality. While I appreciate nostalgia, atmosphere, quirkyness, etc., these things are or should be secondary to the actual food. Sorry for the rant.

Another highly overrated dog is JJ's Truck on Bloomfield Ave. in Newark. They serve a dirty water Sabrett frank. They are known for hot onions (which I've never tasted) and an overly spicy chili that is the hottest I've had in N.J. Much too hot for my taste. There are countless trucks, carts, and storefronts serving dirty water Sabrett's. Although similar, I look for certain things that set the better ones apart from the many that I consider average or run of the mill. Casing, (always preferable to skinless), temperature, (many aren't served hot enough), size, (anything smaller than 10 to a lb is too small, although these places will charge the same price as those offering a bigger dog), price, snap (some natural casing dogs have no snap due to being left in the water too long), and freshness. I've seen dogs that have turned gray or green from being old. Some places will add vinegar to the water to prevent old dogs from changing color.

Prior to '05 JJ's served a natural casing 11 to a lb Sabrett dog. It was barely hot enough, but sufficiently hot and fresh. The chili was very spicy. A decent dog, but overrated even then. People raved about this truck and many considered it the best in the state. There are many that are better. Tony's, a few blocks away is head and shoulders above JJ's.

Sometime prior to August of '05, JJ's switched from a natural casing 11 to a lb dog (still too small) to a tiny 12 to a lb dog that is skinless. I was there once on my own after the switch and once with the Munchmobile. Both times the dogs weren't hot enough and lost flavor from being in the water too long. What was an average, run of the mill dirty water dog in the past is now a way below average dog. Small, skinless, lukewarm, and tasteless. Why so popular? While Hot Dog Johnny's devotees gush over the setting and atmosphere, JJ's clientele makes much of the fact that JJ's is open until 3 or 4 AM. They cater to late night college students from nearby Rutgers who have been out drinking. At that time anything tastes good. I doubt that many of the customers noticed the switch to an even smaller, skinless dog. Bad enough that the dogs are small and skinless. You can get bigger dogs with casing at a number of places, but the dogs are barely warm and bland to boot from sitting in the water too long.

Because this has been my experience, I haven't been back in over 2 years. It is possible that the dogs have gotten better. I don't know and it wouldn't be worth it to go back. Tony' Truck is a few blocks away and is infinitely better. A tasty but milder Golden D brand frank is used, but at 10 to a lb is a much better size than JJ's. Tony's also has a good casing, good snap, served at the right temperature, and much fresher and tastier than JJ's. Even though Sabrett has a spicier flavor profile than the Golden D dog, Tony's franks are much tastier than JJ's because JJ's loses much of their flavor due to too much time in the water. A great example of a place with a reputation (undeserved in my opinion) cutting corners and resting on it's laurels. For a good Sabrett dirty water dog, I go to Dees Hut in Roselle Park. Natural caswing, 10 to a lb, hot, fresh, and tasty.

Other places that I consider overrated are those with a reputation for good dirty water dogs that serve tiny franks and charge too much for them. Big Daddy's in Little Falls is an example. A popular place serving tiny Sabretts and charging more than places like Dees that serve a bigger dog. Part of the popularity of Big Daddy's is due to their selection of hot sauces which in my opinion don't belong on a hot dog. They totally overwhelm the hot dog and mask the flavor. You might as well be eating a celery stick. You wouldn't know the difference.

Falls View is overrated. This small chain was considered one of the best places to get a Texas Weiner years ago. Now they serve a bland, skinless dog. The chili is tasteless as well.

Dickie Dees is an overrated Italian Hot Dog. Unlike Hot Dog Johnny's, JJ's, and Fall's View where the dogs don't taste good, Dickie Dees (and Big Daddy's) serve dogs that do taste good. Dickie Dees is overrated because of the tiny size of their dogs and overall sandwich. And their inferior peppers. And the fact (or more accurately, opinion) that the places known for Italian Hot Dogs all serve a better one. Jimmy Buff's, Tommy's, and Charlies (most of the time when the bread isn't stale). And lesser known places like Dino's, World's First, Paul's, and Joe's Pizzeria.

When I come up for air, maybe I'll post on underrated hot dogs.

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 8:37 AM
Thanks John...a comprehensive and excellent analysis...perhaps I was too hard on the Windmill...but I think I liked their older dog better...the new one is just a bit too mild for me...do like their hot relish,,,I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for the Windmill..since in the late 60's while a student at Monmouth College, I was a regular fixture at the actual "windmill" located on the Westend...eating at one of the franchise places always brings me back...
I also agree with your Sabrett comments....I'll eat one if I'm in Manhattan...did that a lot with mom in the 50's on our many trips to NYC...again it's nostalgia...but one pretty much tastes like the next...you know the taste before you actually bite in!!!! And they have to be with mustard and Sabrett cooked onions!!!And yes, a Sabrett better be fresh,likewise for their condiments.
I like atmosphere as much as the next guy, but I'll judge a hotdog place on the dog , the bun(no Wonderbread type rolls on my buck!)and the quality of the ingrediants I put on top!!! That's it
Again, thanks for your excellent expertise, as always!!!!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 8:42 AM
Leethebard,

You should join us on the next Hot Dog Tour!

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 9:44 AM
Hello all ,

The 6th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be held on Sat Sept 26th , 2009 .
Many of the places discussed in this forum are stops on the tour . Intinerary will be put together again by John Fox .
Meeting and departure point of first five tours has been Galloping Hill Inn , who gave all attendees a very nice gift on last years tour .

Benzee

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 9:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Leethebard,

You should join us on the next Hot Dog Tour!

Yeh, John...now that I'm retired that is possible...thanks!!!!

ShellysDawgHouse
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 4:51 PM
John,
to each his own would definetly apply here. As for hot sauces, i have tons and those who like them use them, those who don't don't use them. To say they have no place is an opinion.
To all, Enjoy what you like. That is why there are so many choices.

Good holidays to all.
Shelly

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 12/17/08 7:46 PM
Shelly,

I agree, to each his own. Many people enjoy ketchup on a hot dog. I think it's an abomination though I would never try to prevent anyone (with the exception of my son) from doing it. If you look at my post, I said "Part of the popularity of Big Daddy's is due to their selection of hot sauces which IN MY OPINION don't belong on a hot dog. They totally overwhelm the hot dog and mask the flavor."

I, too say enjoy what you like. But don't be afraid to state what you don't like and your opinion of whether something belongs or doesn't belong on a hot dog. To say ketchup and hot sauces belong on a hot dog is also an opinion. One that I feel free not to share.

Happy Holidays.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 12/20/08 12:17 AM
I agree that Big Daddy's dogs are expensive for their size but I think I'm inpartial because Big Daddy's is where I started my hot dog obsession over 10 years ago. My friend and I found it by accident and had an incredible meal there. I've definitely eaten hot dogs with better chilis than Big Daddy's but the hot dog is good and the atmosphere along with the personalities of the present and original owner make it one of my favorite dog joints. As for the hot sauces, I've always used them on my final dog of the meal and yes they are a novelty, but with so many  dog joints in NJ (both good and bad) something that differentiates you from your competition is always good.

Dave 

Risasmom
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 01/8/09 3:16 PM
I was born and raised in Clifton, Passaic and Wayne N.J.  I've been in Florida for over 30 years, but my taste buds still cry out for a (OK-some) Texas Weiners.  There's no such thing here in Florida, all they have is what they call a chili dog, which is just that, a dog with chili on it.  I've been back to NJ only once many years ago and made sure I went to Falls View and purchased a few containers of their Texas weiner Sauce to take home (on the plane).  From what I understand Falls View is no longer there, but some of my other favorites were: Rutts Hutts, Anthony Waynes, Hot Grill, and The Hearth.  I've tried alot of "secret recipe" sites to find how tomake REAL Texas Weiner Sauce, but had no luck.  Pizza, (good Pizza) real NY bagels, bakery's and such are also on the not-available list of Florida living.  My family owned a few real old-fashioned Bakery's in Totowa, Paterson so I really miss good Bakery items too.  I'm glad I found this site, although it makes me yearn for the good ole' food of Jersey & NY. 

acoustic blues
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 01/8/09 9:48 PM

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 01/9/09 6:05 AM
Risasmom,

Welcome to Roadfood! Falls View is still in Jersey. There are a number of locations, but I think the quality has gone down. This is the opinion of those who have gone years ago as well.  Rutt's Hut and The Hot Grill are still going strong. The Anthony Wayne closed down a few years ago, and I'm not sure about the Hearth. Since you're familiar with Totowa, have you ever been to Pappy's? Excellent Texas Weiners, although the service is slow. I love their tangy "all the way" sauce.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9574
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 01/9/09 10:36 AM
Risasmom

I was born and raised in Clifton, Passaic and Wayne N.J.  I've been in Florida for over 30 years, but my taste buds still cry out for a (OK-some) Texas Weiners.  There's no such thing here in Florida, all they have is what they call a chili dog, which is just that, a dog with chili on it.  I've been back to NJ only once many years ago and made sure I went to Falls View and purchased a few containers of their Texas weiner Sauce to take home (on the plane).  From what I understand Falls View is no longer there, but some of my other favorites were: Rutts Hutts, Anthony Waynes, Hot Grill, and The Hearth.  I've tried alot of "secret recipe" sites to find how tomake REAL Texas Weiner Sauce, but had no luck.  Pizza, (good Pizza) real NY bagels, bakery's and such are also on the not-available list of Florida living.  My family owned a few real old-fashioned Bakery's in Totowa, Paterson so I really miss good Bakery items too.  I'm glad I found this site, although it makes me yearn for the good ole' food of Jersey & NY. 

Welcome to Roadfood! I see John Fox replied to your post. John is our Resident EXPERT on all things pertaining to Hot Dogs in NJ! Regarding REAL Texas Wiener Sauce, There are a number of recipes on here related to that subject. Just Use the SEARCH function at the top of the page to find them. If you have  problem with searching, just let us know and someone will walk you thru the process. In the Meantime, here's one of the recipes I picked up here that is really good It was originally posted by TDJ_TX. You can search his posts as well.

Texas Hot - Wiener Sauce
8 cups water Less if you like it thicker
12 to 16 oz finely ground hotdogs (I prefer Hebrew National skinless all beef)
1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
a few grinds of fresh black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch.
Let simmer for 30 minutes, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring.
Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it.
Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It freezes well.
Note; Each time you reheat the sauce, it will get thicker

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 01/9/09 7:06 PM
<< I'm not sure about the Hearth

I think I read somewhere that The Hearth closed a while back.

With both that and Anthony Wayne gone I wonder if there's any place that still offers that "red relish" for hot dogs and burgers that I think was unique to the small stretch of North Jersey.  

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 01/9/09 7:54 PM
ken8038

Anthony Wayne gone

I tried going to that Anthony Wayne place a year or two ago, to find it shuttered.
I'm glad I got to experience it once , though...glad for that, at least..
It had a busy location, right on the Route 46 highway, across from Willowbrook Mall.

I love places like that, and wish we had more of them still left here in Jersey!!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 01/9/09 9:45 PM
Ken,

Galloping Hill is known for their hot relish. Although I've never had it, it's what my wife Pat orders on hers whenever I make the drive down the street for a few hot dogs from GHI. I get mine with their delicious (Gold's Dusseldorf) mustard.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 01/10/09 10:46 AM
<<Galloping Hill is known for their hot relish.

John, what they had at Anthony Wayne and The Hearth wasn't a hot red relish, it was more on the sweet side. I was only at each place a couple of times but that's what I remember about it.

I wasn't even that it was so great that I miss it, just that it was unique to that area, so I would get it every time I went (When in Rome, etc).  --Ken

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 01/12/09 7:48 PM
Tomorrow, Tuesday 1/13, Good Day New York on Fox 5 will show a live segment from Amazing Hot Dog. Matt will be preparing a New Jersey Breakfast Dog. His other unique creations will also be displayed. The show airs from 7 to 9 AM. Amazing will be featured around 8:40.

Londonmatt
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 01/14/09 8:09 AM
I am sad to hear that the Anthony Wayne is no more, that place was a true original. This is such a long thread so excuse me if this place has been mentioned, but G&G, a hot dog truck on Shrewsbury Avenue in Red Bank NJ (Monmouth County) is exceptional. Its a dirty water sabrett, and I am pretty sure its boiled in Beer, at least thats what I've been told. Its a bit of a legend, sort of like White Manna where people will order 5 or 6 at a time. He has been there forever. He also does an Italian Sausage. He's got a great chili sauce, red onion, chopped, relish, and saurkraut. The best part is how the dog truly snap, not crunchy, but just snap. Delicious!

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 01/14/09 9:47 PM
Londonmatt,
Welcome to roadfood. I agree with your thoughts about G&G in Red Bank, definitely a great dog. Have you been to That Hot Dog Place on Monmouth St in Red Bank? www.soupmeister.com They are also known for really good soups as well as their dogs.

Dave

Risasmom
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 01/17/09 8:26 AM

Thank you John for the "welcome".  You know what else they never have in Florida?  Saurkraut!  I can't believe it.    I worked at the Hearth for awhile way-back when!  I loved their taylor ham and cheese sandwiches on a Jewish hard roll(something else Florida hasn't conquered yet) .  I also loved their steak sandwiches.

Risasmom
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 01/17/09 8:28 AM
Thanks so much for the recipe Foodbme!  I'm definitly going to try it.  I had no idea that finely ground hotdogs were used in the sauce.   I'll let you know I experiment with it.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9574
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 01/17/09 5:34 PM
Risasmom

Thank you John for the "welcome".  You know what else they never have in Florida?  Sauerkraut!  I can't believe it.    I worked at the Hearth for awhile way-back when!  I loved their taylor ham and cheese sandwiches on a Jewish hard roll(something else Florida hasn't conquered yet) .  I also loved their steak sandwiches.

NO Sauerkraut in St Pete??????? I have a hard time believing that! There are enough Jewish Deli's in the Clearwater/St Pete area to populate half of Israel! Publix has Sauerkraut too!

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 01/25/09 10:23 AM
Just a quick post on Father & Son in Linden. I was in the area Friday so I stopped by  for the first time since the 2007 Hot Dog Tour. I got 3 Chili Dogs to go.

The dog and the Chili was as usual terrific, but the dogs seemed smaller than I remembered.

John, or anybody else, are they using a smaller dog (maybe to keep the price in line) or did I just forget the size they use?.

In any event, I was plased to see the quart of Chili was still a quart ($6.25, I think it might have been $6 at the time of the Hot Dog tour) so I got a quart for future use.

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 01/25/09 10:51 AM
I was there about a month or 2 ago to pick up some chili for some dogs I was going to prepare at home. Though I didn't have a dog at Father & Son, I did take a look at the grill and the dogs looked the same to me. I'll make sure to find out next time I'm there.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 01/25/09 9:11 PM
Thanks John. By the way, my reason for being in that area was that I got a tip on some great homemade perogies at the Polka Deli just a few blocks away at 620 St Georges Ave. We had them today and they were fabulous. 

Anyway, they had some nice looking polish looking hot dogs in the deli counter and I was tempted to buy a pound, but there was a real language barrier with the polish lady running the place and I wasn't sure if they were hot dogs or some sort of polish sausage. 

I'll probably go back soon, and I'll buy a pound of whatever they are and more of those perogies. 

TnGuy
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 01/26/09 8:13 AM
John Fox - when the transition to this new forum format took place a while back the powers- that- be shortened this thread by 'temporarily' removing many of the existing posts, with the promise of restoring them shortly after getting this new version up and running. Do you know if the 'missing posts' restoration to this thread has actually taken place?

TnGuy 

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 01/26/09 8:51 PM
No, it hasn't. And in an e-mail to one of the administraters, I was told that it won't. Too bad.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 01/27/09 9:31 PM
This question is for John Fox or anyone else who might know. The Syd's dog was a 5/1 dog from Best Provisions in Newark that was cooked in water and then finished on a char broiler? Is any of that correct and was it a natural casing dog or skinless?
Thanks
Dave

Bossa Nova
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 01/28/09 8:29 PM
Syd's was a natural casing 5 to a lb beef hot dog from Best in Newark.  It was boiled, then finished on a gas grill.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 01/29/09 6:14 PM
A gas grill meaning char broiler or flattop/griddle?

Dave

Bossa Nova
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 01/29/09 9:19 PM
char broiler

Food_Fan
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 02/3/09 5:16 PM
Hello!

I wish this were around when I was searching "hot dogs" years ago but I'm glad to have found it now.

Yes, I'm a hot dog nut. Its too bad that I missed all of the action that has been posted here by Mr. Fox and the other hot dog lovers in NJ. These are the places that started my hot dog education:

Walt’s Bar & Grill, Linden

Peterson’s Galloping Hill Inn, Union
George’s, Elizabeth
Jerry’s, Elizabeth
Tommy’s, Elizabeth
Majestic Lunch, Elizabeth

When I've seen the articles in The Star Ledger I"ve always wondered why George's was not included. Perhaps I missed it. Be that as it may, I'll say that I've been to 45 hot dog joints in total not counting trucks & carts and those I can't remember.

I tried a new one (To me) a few weeks ago - A&G Texas Weiners on Chestnut St. in Roselle. Nice snap and the chili is the typical finely ground stuff that you find at so many places except that they jack it up a little with the "Greek" style spices but lay off any hotness.

Georges was always my favorite chili and it had NO MEAT in it. What a flavor!  Jerry's, Majestic, etc are close but no cigar..

foobuc
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/4/09 7:49 PM
here's a list of places i have gone.  Most are in Nj with a few in PA and maybe 1 in CT.  I have been to most more than once but a few are a one shot only.

Hot Dog joints  last updated  2/4/09

Joe joe’s  -   toms river
Wunder weiner -   beachwood/pine beach  truck
Tommy’s -   elizabeth
Jerrys - elizabeth
Charlies famous-  kenilworth
Tobys cup -  lopatcong/phillipsburg area
Stewarts- Lebanon
Stewarts- rahway
Stewarts- toms river
Galloping hill inn  -union aka 5 points
J’s beef  (closed) - linden
Rutts hut - clifton
Jimmy buffs- scotch plains
Windmill- long branch(both places) brick, freehold, red bank
Max’s –long branch
Hot dog johnnys- buttzville
J & G texas wieners -Dunellen
Texas wieners I- plainfield
Texas wieners II- north? Plainfield
Texas Wieners-  Middlesex
Tommy’s -North Brunswick  (closed)
Hot Rod’s -  Glen Gardner nj
Red tower II – bridgewater
Jimmy john’s-West Chester Pa
Yocco’s- Allentown PA
New England Hot Dog Co.  – Freehold
Hiram’s – Fort Lee
Five Guys- Brick, Watchung
Boulevard drinks- Jersey City
Manny’s texas wieners- Springfield
Friends-Plainfield
Paul’s Newark style –Plainfield
Frankie’s franks- brick    truck
Hawley’s hot dogs- brick  truck(gone?)
Amazing hot dogs-bound brook
That hot dog place- Red bank
G & G- red bank   truck
Scottie’s? – Matawan   truck
Jersey Joe’s- Pt Monmouth/Middletown NJ
Big Dogz- Long Branch
Ross’s – Ocean township
Boardwalk Hot Dogs- Brick
Hot Dog Tommy’s- Cape May

leethebard
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/4/09 8:24 PM
Hey,Foobuc...Max's is great...and Boardwalk in Brick is one of my favorites...a great natural casing Shickhaus on a great roll...Windmill hot dogs are ok...but a bit bland for my taste!!!

Food_Fan
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/4/09 10:08 PM
After reading the different threads on this forum especially this thread, I had to go out and get some hot dogs!!! So this past Saturday I went to A&G  in Roselle for 2 mustard, onions, chili then to where Dee's is in R.P. (Not there on weekends) and then Galloping Hill Inn.

At The Galloping Hill Inn I got 1 double w/mustard only (Hot dog to bun ratio) and a hot works. They cheaped out on the sauerkraut and hot relish and there was a weird flavor (Smell) that at first I could not identify, though it smelled familiar. At first I thought it was the sauerkraut but after going from the hot works to the double several times it turned out to be the mustard. It was the smell of mold/mildew. In addition, the fries were overdone. What is this world coming to?

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 02/6/09 1:06 PM
Impressive list Foobuc! I've been to a lot of those and some not.

What or where is "Friends" in PLainfield? Is that a truck? I can't find anything on the web about it.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 02/6/09 10:08 PM
<<Walt’s Bar & Grill, Linden
 Food Fan, a friend of mine sent me a Walt's Christmas card, as pictured in this link:

http://www.lloydgarrison.com/xmasgallery.htm

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 02/7/09 1:06 AM
Here's my list. I thought I was the only one OCD enough to do that :)

Dave

p.s. I'm sure I forgot a few of them and some of them are just a location or landmark.

Callahans Meadowlands Flea Market   East Rutherford 
JJ's Bloomfield Ave Newark 
Tony's Newark By Wequheic Park 
Wee Nee Wagon Gladstone Rt 206 @ Somerset Elks 
Unknown Truck  Jamesburg by Railroad Tracks 
G & G  Red Bank by Railroad Tracks 
The Doghouse Tinton Falls/Neptune Rt 66 by Asbury Ave 
Unknown Trailer Brick/Lakewood Rt 88 in Bakery Parking Lot 
Chubby's Parsippany Rt 46 in Gas Station  
Unknown Truck Parsippany Rt 46 at Car Wash
 Unknown Trailer Parsippany Rt 46 in Gas Station 
Unknown Truck Kearny By Entrance Ramp to 280
  Lot Lou's Hot Dogs Neptune In Headliner Parking Lot 
Trailer Long Branch Edward's Ave @ Rt 36 
Bear's Sayreville  
Yellow Painted Sabrett Truck Marlboro/Old Bridge Rt 9S-Just South of Rt 18  
Truck Harrison Outside J.Supor Yard 
Converted Winnebago back road in Jackson
The Corner Doggie Woodbridge CR 514/Woodbridge Elks Parking Lot  
Uncle Petey's Weenies  Woodbridge Rt 35S 
Frankie's Franks  Brick Mantoloking Rd by Old Hooper Ave 
Munces Rahway Rt 35S/St. Georges Ave by Rahway River Park  
Red's Oxford Rt 31N  
Mickey's  Lakewood Cedar Bridge Ave
Hooley's Brick Cedar Bridge Ave  
Mini's Dog House Old Bridge Rt. 34S-S of Rt. 9/ Truck Neptune Rt 33W-E of GSP, W Of Rt 18 
Antonio's Dogs  Seaside Heights North End of Ocean Ave in Parking Lot 
The Original Frankies Brick Mantoloking Road, East of Old Hooper Ave  
Bayyan's Girlfire Grill  New Egypt Rt 537 in Gasco Gas Station
 Dee's  Roselle Park  
Jo-Jo's  Brick Rt 88 
Sal's Hot Dogs  Jackson Corner of Cedar Swamp Rd/ CR 547 & Jackson Mills Rd 
Top Dogs Brick Rt 88 E of 70 near Pt. Pleasant border
Big Daddy's Little Falls
Rutt's Hutt Clifton
Tommy's Elizabeth
Jerry's Elizabeth
Galloping Hill Inn Union
Amazing Hot Dog Verona
Amazing Hot Dog Bound Brook
Jimmy Buff's East Hanover
That Hot Dog Place "The Soupmeister" Red Bank
Joyce's Place Brick
Max's Long Branch
The Windmill Brick
The Windmill Freehold
The Windmill Belmar
Hot Dog Johnny's Buttzville
Toby's Cup Phillipsburg
Bridge St Dog Pound Milford
Syd's Millburn
Hot Dog King's Eatontown
Jersey Style Hot Dogs Old Bridge
Falls View Grill Totawa
Hot Rod's Glen Gardner
Otto's Caldwell
Stewart's Root Beer Wall
Stewart's Root Beer Washington Twp (Warren County)
Charlie's Pool Room Alpha
Mr. Dee's Parlin
Davy's Hot Dogs Mt. Arlington
Brooklyn's Famous Hot Dogs West Orange
Hot Dog Hut Wayne
(Place off 287 on ramp to 202) Oakland
Hot Dog House Carlstat (Route 17S)
Hank's Franks Route 46 E (East of Clifton)
(2nd Place on Route 46) Route 46E (East of Clifton)
Tido's Junkyard Dogs New Brunswick
(Stand at Englishtown Auction By Bathroom) Englishtown
Jimmy's on the Delaware Phillipsburg
The Bistro Belvidere (Rt. 46 @ CR 519)
Buddy's Grab 'N Go Flemington
Old Heidelburg Inn Keansburg Boardwalk
Cream King Rt 31S Pennington
Homeplate Dairy Rt 57 Stewartsville
Cravings Rt 29 Stockton
Big Momma's Dog House Bridge St, Milford
Lamberti's Flemington Outlets
Papaya King Clifton
Libby's Lunch Patterson
Father & Son Linden
Manny's Texas Weiner's Linden
Sweat Treats and Eats Rt 519 Belvidere
Jimmy's At the Depot/Fast Grill Phillipsburg Home Depot
Boardwalk Hot Dogs Drum Point Rd, Brick
Skoogy's Deli/C-Store Belvidere
The Canyon Creek Grill Rt 12 Kingwood
Nathan's Famous Willowbrook Mall
Nathan's Famous Rockaway Mall
Nathan's Famous Jackson Outlets
Nathan's Famous Livingston Mall
Nathan's Famous GSP MP 120 Rest Area
Nathan's Famous GSP Forked River Rest Area
Stewart's Root Beer Rt. 517 Hackettstown
New England Hot Dog Co. Rt 9N Freehold
Four Boy's Pizzeria Newton's Corner Rd, Howell
Boulevard Drinks Journal Square, Jersey City
Stewart's Root Beer Route 22 Lebanon
Decicco's Tavern Anderson St, Raritan
Nathan's Famous GSP Monmouth Rest Area
It's Nutt's Rt 29 Titusville
Anthony's Italian Hot Dogs Rt 46 (Main St) Hackettstown
7-Eleven Multiple Locations
Big Dogz Rt 36 West Long Branch
Ross's Original Steaks and Doggs Rt 35N Ocean Twp
Biggie's Roadside Mantoloking Road, Brick
Scara's Italian Ice Rt 88 Point Pleasant
Joe Joe's Rt 37 Toms River
Hot Dog's in Paradise Rt 34 Colts Neck
The Windmill Westfield
Bubbas Lyndhurst
E & J Hut Mantoloking Road, Brick
Richard's Subs & Deli Rt 9N Bayville
Wonder Wiener Rt 9S Bayville (Spirits Unlimited Stripmall)
Pats Hot Dog Cart Neptune Rt 35N
Cart @ Collingswood Flea Market  Howell
Cart @Lakewood Rt 70 Flea Market
Cart in Jersey City Run by Vietman Vet
Cart in Jersey City In Front of Cosi
Unknown cart in Jersey City 
Aunt T's Dog Pound Phillipsburg Right off Rt 22W
Cart in Dunellen Washington Ave Near Rt 28
East Rutherford Multiple Carts at Meadowlands Flea market
Poppy's Glen Gardner Just off Rt 31N 
Slein Dog Phillipsburg Off Rt 22 by Car Wash 
Slein Dog  Rt 57 E, Rossini's Supermarket Parking Lot
Cart in Blairstown Rt 94
Cart in Summit By a Park
2ndc Cart in Summit
The Hot Dog Chef Scotch Plains/Fanwood Main St?
Cart in Asbury Park Rt 71 and Sunset Ave
Little Lil's Brick Brick Blvd
Hot Dog/Falaffel Cart  NYC 6th Ave by 22nd St PATH Station
Cart NYC W'Bway by Supermarket
Cart NYC Broadway by Borders
Cart NYC by Radio City Music Hall
Cart NYC Midtown by MSG
Cart NYC By Plaza near WTC 
Original Nathan's  NYC Coney Island
Mike's Papaya NYC Tribeca 
Gray's Papaya  NYC 
Papaya King NYC 
Chelsea Papaya NYC  
Dooley's Dogs Rt 1 Hampton NH
Seafood/Grill Snack Shack  Side of Road Somewhere in NH   
Gilley's Portsmouth, NH 
Cart Portsmouth, NH Downtown
Shea Stadium Flushing, Queens NY
Skylands Stadium Sussex County NJ
First Energy Park Lakewood NJ
Meadowlands Racetrack East Rutherford NJ
Seabrook Dogpark Seabrook NH
Giants Stadium East Rutherford NJ
Continental Airlines Arena East Rutherford NJ
Verizon Wireless Arena Manchester NH
PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ
The Whittemore Center Durham NH

and dats all he wrote

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 02/7/09 6:01 AM
I've been to quite a few hot dog joints, but never wrote them down. I can recall practically all of them. It will be fun to try to remember them and make a list when I get a chance. It might take me some time.

mrkag
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 02/8/09 7:02 AM
Sorry, haven't been able to get on for a while. Just reading some newer postings. Had the opportunity to get down to the Monmouth area this past fall. We went to my one buddies daughters soccer match at Monmouth U, low and behold we passed one of the Windmill's. Wellll we hadda stop in, it was good, we also noticed a place called Big Dogz, so of course we ventured in after the game. Excellent, a large variety of toppings and the dog had a unique flavor, very tasty. The owner has them made by a deli in Brooklyn & gets them fresh several times a week. Has anyone else been there? We are preparing for our 4th annual dog trip in the spring. Here's some of the places we've been. Hot Dog Johnny's, Rutt's Hutt, Toby's Cup, Texas Weiner, Callahans, Jimmy Buffs, Galloping Hill, Dee's, Amazing Hot Dogs, Nathan's, Papaya Dog, Syd's, Stewarts (Rahway) (one of my favorites), Big Daddy's, Manny's Texas Weiners, Big Dogz, Windmill, Hot Dog USA, Hank's Franks, Mr Dee's, Hot Dog Hut, Charlie's Pool Room, in PA - Yocco's, Willie Joes, Fragnito's, Whary Dogs, The O (Pittsburgh), Hot Dog Haven, Dad's Dogs, Pete's, Pott's, 5 Guys, Binney's, Jimmy's (PA & NJ). That's off the top of my head. Any suggestions would be appreciated, we usually have about 7 - 12 guys when we go. Thanks. Be back soon. Thanks again John for the site....

mrkag
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 02/8/09 7:05 AM
By the way, we would like to work Hiram's in this trip, we've planned it in the past, just never got there.

DPuro329
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 02/8/09 10:21 AM
Mrkag,
How does one find out about your spring tour?

Dave

mrkag
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 02/8/09 12:28 PM
Dave,
       We will enter some posts here, prior to our next run. More than welcome if you're interested. We'll keep updating starting about a month before.                
                 Mr Kag

Food_Fan
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 02/9/09 4:40 PM
ken8038!!

Thanks a lot for the picture link!! I read about that painting/greeting card while looking for pictures of Walt’s.

You asked about “Friends” in Plainfield and this is what I found:

http://local.botw.org/New_Jersey/Plainfield/Friends_Texas_Weiner/142292398.html

I too have a list of the brick & mortar hot dog joints that I’ve visited over the years and have been hesitant about posting it here because of it’s size. It’s been up-dated to 51 places since having my memory jogged by this forum.

I’ve also typed up my remembrance of Walt’s as it was in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s. If anyone wants to read it – I’ll post what it was, how it closed, and where it moved and then closed forever - along with a smidgen of other history.
  It was located at 1151 W. Saint Georges Ave. Linden, NJ the present site of National Wholesale Liquidators and other stores as shown here:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=40.626809&lon=-74.272788&zoom=17&q1=1151%2520W%2520Saint%2520Georges%2520Ave.%2520Linden%2520NJ

WARNING – I may post it anyway. 

foobuc
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 02/10/09 6:58 AM
DPuro that is a whale of a list.  For whatever reason, i am cart-shy. 

Ken, Friends is a buliding right in the downtown Plainfield area near the new storefronts.  Nothing to write home about and the Texas weiners there were not so exciting imho.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 02/10/09 8:38 AM
Thanks foobuc and Food_fan for the infor about Friends. It sounds like it's right near Texas Weiner I. I'll give it a try anyway, but if I'll be so close to Texas Weiner I might as well stop there too.

Food_fan, that National Wholesale Liquidators is closing. Maybe things will come full circle and a Hot Dog Stand will open in it's place. By all means please post your rememberances of Walt's. I'm sure many of us would like to read about it. I didn't move to NJ until 1985 so I was never there, but many people have told me about it over the years.

Food_Fan
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 02/10/09 8:37 PM
WALT’S 42nd Street used to be on the south east side of St. Georges Ave in Linden. O’Keefe’s Miniature Golf was down the street toward Rahway from it and a golf driving range was behind Walt’s. Walt’s had great hot dogs and the best french fries (crinkle cut) that I have ever tasted!!!

The building and the surrounding dirt and gravel parking lot were around 3’ higher than the grade of the street. There wasn’t any curb for the entire width of the property so you could pull strait up to the building as shown in the painting/card.

http://www.lloydgarrison.com/xmasgallery.htm

When leaving from the a front parking spot, you would back out as you do in a multi-lane parking lot and there was enough room to angle the car to enter oncoming traffic. Then St. George was widened and the exit turn became tighter.

The building size and shape are somewhat distorted in the painting/postcard. I think a little artistic license was used to fit Walt’s and The O’Keefe’s Miniature Golf sign onto the same canvas. If you looked at the building from across the street it looked more like this:

!_____[]_____!___________________________________!_____  

Looking at the front, the left section was the dingy mortar covered cinder block wall bar. That’s why it’s brown colored in the painting. The bar was only about 3’ further out from the cooking area. It looked just like the area of foundation that is visible between the ground and the bottom of the house of so many homes. Unlike my attempt at a MS Word drawing the bar was square and not rectangular and there was a door in the center with one window on either side of it.

The right ¾ of the building was the cooking/serving area and was constructed of wood. Each of the the 3 wide openings could accommodate 6 or 7 adults standing side by side. The bottoms of the openings (Counter) were around 3.5’ above the concrete sidewalk. Those wide openings were covered by hinged panels of painted plywood that when open were latched to the ceiling of the overhang.

There were at least 20’ of grills in the front, 20’ of grills on the end, and 20’ of grills in the rear. All of them were flat steel grills. At any given time there would be 50 hot dogs in various states of doneness slowly grilling and being either flipped up to 10 at a time using long tongs, or turned (rolled) by the cooks/servers. When they were busy there were probably a few hundred dogs on the grills

The roof overhung the 7’ or 8’ deep concrete sidewalk that ringed the open-air cooking/serving area. By open air I mean that when you stood at any of the wide openings in the front, right end, or rear you could see through the building, there were no windows or screens. The painting shows the upper façade where the painted words and pictures of hot dogs and hamburgers were located vertically even with the lower exterior of the cooking/serving area. Those sections were temporary and were removed when warmer weather arrived.

This photo is from 1947 and shows Walt’s at the lower center, the intersection of St. George and Stiles St at the top and the trailer park at the lower left.

This is Walt’s and O’Keefe’s Miniature Golf at it’s original location in 1963:

This is Walt’s and O’Keefe’s Miniature Golf in 1966 after O’Keefe’s moved closer to Walt’s:

This is Walt's in 1957. You can tell by the building shadows that its mid morning:

I have a lot more photos that show the development in that area from 1931 to 2006. You can get these for yourselves by going to: http://www.historicaerials.com/default.aspx

They sold the property and the first Pathmark in the area replaced it. The miniature golf course became parking lot and the driving range turned industrial. A very small Walt’s that had one of the original signs was built on the other side of the street near the White Diamond that was further down St. George toward Elizabeth in one of the used car lots on the Linden side of St George. I went there a couple of times but since there was only on street parking and the very small building was located at the rear of the lot, it was inconvenient. I believe it closed in less than a year.

At that time the White Diamond was located on the Cranford/Roselle side of St. George and was surrounded by a huge dirt parking lot. It was subsequently moved to the other side of the street to a smaller property.

When they were closing the original Walt’s I bought a dozen small beer glasses for a buck.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

The existing former location of Walt's can be viewed at the earlier post. Walt's was near the street in the large parking lot in the center of that satellite photo and the existing building is where the raised berm on which the golf tees for the golf driving range were located. O’Keefe’s Miniature Golf was located at the lower left of the parking lot.

A funny thing about that painting/card is that my first car was a Chevy Orange ’57 Chevy Sport Coupe and I probably parked at or near that spot on many occasions before I got drafted in “68. Except for the wheels it looked just like this:

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=1027123476&apnum=3490719&DestType=7

<message edited by Food_Fan on Mon, 02/16/09 7:47 PM>

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/11/09 5:46 AM
Food Fan,

Thanks for the post. I've heard a lot about Walt's although I've never been there. They used an all beef natural casing frank from Haydu (of Newark) that was considered very good. It was prepared on a griddle. I have one of those post cards. Someone gave one to me that was sent to them.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/11/09 8:15 AM
Food Fan, thanks for the write up about Walt's. I enjoyed it. And thanks for that aerial link, I've been looking at some of the neighborhoods I've lived in, here and in NY.

John Sagi
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 02/11/09 1:35 PM
Thanks for the lists. I see a few that I don't have in my database. I was happy to to see that the carts were listed also. I'll list and remove them when brought to my attention. I have 154 listed for NJ.

John

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 16 of 34, messages 901 to 960 of 1989