The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 27 of 67, messages 781 to 810 of 1989
porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/25/08 12:01 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fattybomatty
...Where on rt 22 is a stewarts?....

Right[url='http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GFRB,GFRB:2008-01,GFRB:en&um=1&q=stewart's+root+beer&near=Lebanon,+NJ&fb=1&view=text&latlng=40643231,-74818879,7556549917274843272']here[/url].

foobuc

• Total Posts: 150
    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/25/08 6:01 PM (permalink)
    i have eaten at that stewarts in Lebanon on route 22 and it is good to eat outside on a nice night and when the bees are calm. Whenever i am there, it seems the bees are all over the place!!!! Lebanon behind the Stewarts is a cool little area. there is an old General Store there and an off make Italian motor cycle dealer there.We looked at that area before we moved into our current house. Would have bought a house there but it was a little bit too far out of the way from my work territory. I bought my old 1965 VW bus in that town too back in 1989.

philygirl

• Total Posts: 6
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 05/1/08 2:28 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by John Fox

I forgot about Papaya King. Excellent dogs, and I wasn't aware that the dogs were 99 cents after 4:30 Thanks for the info. I always thought $1.99 was expensive for a 10 to a lb dog. It's not even that steep in New York.

Donny's Dogs are ok, but lack the snap of a natural casing. I was on the Munchmobile panel and didn't have Donny's in my top 3. They got one first place vote and a few seconds and thirds. Jerry's got 2 first place votes (including mine)but no other votes. Donny's did well I think because of their number and variety of toppings, which isn't as inportant to me as the actual snap, flavor, and how the dog is prepared. If you're in the area, I think Tony's Truck in Branch Brook Park is a better choice. Pete Genovese voted it his favorite dog of the summer. It came in 2nd for dirty water dog. Better dog and better chili. Also known for their hot onions, which I've never had.

Hi, new here. This site is great! Just wanted to say we love the dogs from Branchbrook Park ~ been eating them for years. Get them everytime we visit the in-laws. My husband goes to get them, but I think they are from Louie's Truck? Love the hot,spicy onions! I can put away 4 or 5 of these. Since we live in Pa., and can't seem to find anyone who makes them this way, my daughter started experimenting making them, and she pretty much has them down pretty good, using Sabrett dogs.

Also, on another post, I noticed Seymour's in Livingston mentioned ~ was surprised to see that, as my brother-in-law used to own the place in the '80's.

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 05/1/08 9:58 PM (permalink)
        I noticed a coming soon sign for a place called "Anthony's Italian Hot Dogs and Italian Sausage Plus" It's on Main St/Route 46 in Hackettstown next to a Dominos Pizza. I'm not sure when they are opening or anything else about them other than that I noticed the storefront while driving by.

Just thought I'd share.

Dave

foobuc

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/4/08 8:10 PM (permalink)
          I had an Italian hot dog at the Cranford Street Fair today. It is repeating more than a scratched 45RPM and that is all i will say. Tomorrow i am working with one of my big Bosses and think the only reason he wants to work with me is because he knows that we will be going to Max's or the Windmill for lunch!!!

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/5/08 6:26 AM (permalink)
            I was at the street fair also. I passed on the Italian Hot Dog. The name of the vendor is Passarelli's. He uses Sabrett's (I prefer Best's) puts everything on a sub roll, and grills rather than deep fries the ingredients. There was another vendor selling footlong Hebrew Nationals that were heated in water, then grilled. I went for one of those. It was very good. Excellent bun too, though a tad too big.

foobuc

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/5/08 6:50 AM (permalink)
              you nailed it on the head John. That was the one. You must have hot dog radar!!!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/5/08 8:27 AM (permalink)
                On the "Food Talk" program on WOR-AM 710 in NY yesterday morning there was a discussion of New Jersey Hot Dog places. The host (Mike Colameco) is not very knowledageble about that, he mostly talks about upscale restaurants, so he asked people to call in with thier favorite places for Hot Dogs in NJ. Nobody who called seemed to be very knowledgeable either. There were a couple of mentions of Jimmy Buff's and Dickie Dees in Newark, and some woman went on and on about a long forgotten place in Staten Island. I tried to get thru to no avail (I would have put in a plug for this board).

Anyway, for what it's worth, you can listen to the archived show here. The discussion about hot dogs probably started around 10:50, my wife called me in to listen when she realized it was going to be a whole discussion about Hot Dogs and not just one call. It lasted until maybe 11:15.

http://www.wor710.com/pages/46340.php

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/5/08 11:45 AM (permalink)
                  where is hirums?

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/5/08 5:26 PM (permalink)
                    Hiram's is located at 1345 Palisade Ave
                    Fort Lee, NJ 07024
                    (201) 592-9602.

One of my three favorite chili toppings.

The Bear

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 05/10/08 6:07 AM (permalink)
                      Hi philygirl, Loui's on Mount Prospect in Newark, now serves Sabrett
                      skinless,just like JJ's and Chris's, he used to serve Golden D brand like Tony's on Lake street in Branch Brook park. I like the subtle difference in the Golden D,but,I like them slow cooked on a griddle the way House of Weenies on Raymond Blvd used to prepare them.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 05/10/08 9:06 PM (permalink)
                        Hi ScreenBear, Hirams serves a great Chilidog, if I remember correctly it was voted #1 by the Munchmobile crew two years ago, I also think Tony's Truck in Branch Brook Park serves a very good chilidog. What are your other two favorites.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 9:07 AM (permalink)
                          big g,

I've never been to House of Weenies, but I've heard that they served their own brand by the same name. I know they're gone now, but was House of Weenies brand the same as Golden D? I think they were 2 different dogs.

I like the dog and chili at Tony's. In fact, I rated it higher than Hiram's, which is good, but a little spicy for my taste. Tony's has a nice mild flavor and doesn't overpower the dog.

The Brooklyn Diner in Manhattan serves the giant 15 bite hot dog. They won't tell you the brand, but it is a Golden D prepared on a griddle.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 3:20 PM (permalink)
                            House O' Weenies was Marathon's brand. It is listed as an abandoned trademark in the USPTO. The Sabretts are now made in the old HOW complex on East 138th Street in the Bronx. An old painted sign:
                            http://www.14to42.net/33street2.html
                            Golden D is a different company/dog.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 6:14 PM (permalink)
                              Hi John, House of Weenies in Newark at one time may have sold there namesake brand,but, the last couple of years,I believe the owner Ronnie told me he switched to Golden D, in fact I used to buy 5lbs at
                              a time from them and the package was labeled with the Golden D brand.
                              Another great Newark landmark gone, it used to be right on Raymond Blvd and Halsey street,2 blocks north of the old Bamberger's/Macy's.
                              It was a nice storefront eatery, no place to sit, they had counters,
                              sort of like Jerry's in Elizabeth.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                Big G,

My two other favorite chili toppings are served at Father & Son, St. Georges Ave., Linden, N.J., and Hot Rod's Hot Dogs, Glen Gardner, N.J.

A very close 4th is Coney Island Restaurant, Middletown, N.Y.

The Bear

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                  Hey, anyone remember the name of the little hot dog place on Route 46 near Teterboro. Was it Hank's Franks? It was on the left side of the highway as you were heading west....Is it still there? I never went in there in all the years I lived in Bergen County (30) because I was a deep fried dog lover. But the place was always busy.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                    Hi Ben, your right, it's Hank's Frank's on 46 east,either in Teterboro or Hasbrouck Heights, they serve Sabrett's, not to far from Callahan's in Little Ferry.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/12/08 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                      David NYC, thanks for the update, I like Sabrett as well as many other brand of hotdogs,namely Thumann's of Carlstadt,NJ,Best's of Newark,NJ,Schickhaus formerly of Kearny,NJ, Nathan's and Hebrew National, and the Golden D brand,always forgot to ask were they were
                                      made. On the food channel they had an interesting show about the origins of Nathan's(Brooklyn)and how he used his Polish wifes sausage recipe incorporated into the Nathan's Famous. Hebrew National's originated on the lower east side of Manhattan as a Jewish butcher shop a few years after Nathan's opened on Coney Island.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/12/08 9:15 PM (permalink)
                                        The Martini Bistro & Bar is a popular spot in the Millburn/Short Hills area. They are known for their excellent martinis and cocktails as well as their food. Over 50 varieties of martinis are offered. I don't drink Martinis, but my wife and friends swear by them. I stick with beer. There is a good selection of imports and micros. At least 10 beers on tap. Last time I had an Anchor Steam Beer.

I've enjoyed a few beers and an outstanding Sirloin Burger while watching a game. But what has me excited is the news that the Martini Bar will be adding a quality hot dog to their menu. There is nothing I like to eat more. The dog will be the same frank that was served at the late, great Syd's in the Millburn Mall. Syd's was named the best hot dog in New Jersey the very first year that the Newark Star Ledger ran the Munchmobile series. In the summer of '06 a panel of hot dog lovers reviewed 87 different hot dog establishments, sampling well over 100 different dogs. Although hot dogs were rated in 5 categories, the panel was asked to name their favorite overall dog. Five out of 8 chose Syd's. Unfortunately, Syd's lease was not renewed. For a few months the owner sold his dogs at a small diner in Springfield before calling it quits to persue other interests. Fortunately there are still a few places scatterred around where you can enjoy what I consider the best hot dog. The Martini Bar will be the next one and the first that isn't a traditional hot dog joint or luncheonette.

The frankfurter itself is a natural casing, 5 to a lb all beef dog made by Best Provisions. It is long and thin with a great snap and an excellent flavor resulting from a mixture of choice and lean beef and an excellent blend of spices. At Syd's you had a choice of getting it boiled or grilled. Grilled was actually boiled first and then charbroiled. Most ordered it grilled.

I was lucky enough to sample one this past week. The Martini Bar's hot dog will be boiled, then chargrilled. You can order it just boiled if you wish. It will come on a plate with 3 smaller plates attatched that will have mustard, relish, and sauerkraut. Commonly referred to in Essex County as "sweet works". You may substitute a homemade red onion mix if you want. The dog will be put on a good sturdy toasted bun. With this comes an order of the best fries I've had yet. Hand cut, twice fried, and a little thicker than your normal fry prepared this way. And better tasting as well.

The dog was prepared perfectly as were the fries. What a presentation! Although fancy looking, this is in reality a simple old school hot dog. Great tasting, with a minimum of basic toppings. No need to add a lot of esoteric junk that diminishes what a hot dog is supposed to be. I enjoyed mine with just mustard (an excellent deli mustard) and had the sauerkraut on the side. The fries were the perfect companion to the dog. It all goes for $6.00 which is a bargain for this type of establishment. If you want another dog, it will be $3.00, which is less than what Syd's sold their's for.

Ted Stampoulos is an owner of the Martini Bar. His family owned a hot dog restaurant in the past called the James Inn. It was located on Springfield Ave. in the Vauxhall section of Union. Ted loves hot dogs and has been wanting to add one to the menu. Occasionally his customers will ask for one. I'll post again to let you know when the new menu comes out. It should be this week or next. I also sampled the Kobe Slider Trio from the appetizer section. Three small Kobe burgers with cheddar cheese and 3 dipping sauces. I had mine plain. It was the first time I sampled kobe beef burgers. They were simply the best burgers I've tasted. Medium rare, juicy, with an intense beef flavor. Like nothing else I've had.

I'm glad to see a quality hot dog come to an establishment like the Martini Bar. Even if you're not a hot dog lover, the rest of the food is top notch. Worth checking out.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/13/08 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                          Big G:
                                          The Golden D are made on Broadway in Brooklyn, near the Williamsburgh Bridge.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/13/08 1:00 AM (permalink)
                                            David_NYC, thanks again,next time I'm in the city I'll have to stop by and pick some up, maybe hit Peter Lugers on the way.

Steveg4

• Total Posts: 2
                                              RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/19/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                              Greetings fellow hotdog lovers. Speaking of Syd's, as a kid I used to ride my bike from Hillside to Syd's on Chancellor Ave in Newark and I remember Syd's in Bradley Beach. There was a pizza place near Syd's in Newark called Indian Pizza (I think) where I had my first italian dog(circa 1960) So you see I have been hotdog spoiled since childhood and am very particular about my dogs. It broke my heart when Syd's off of Vauxhall Rd closed a few years ago. Still looking for that Syd's replacement hotdog (fries too) but have yet to find any that compare.

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/20/08 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                                Hi Steveg4, you can get that same great Best's footlong hotdog at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover,NJ, just off rt.10W or the same dog but not quite as big at Jerrys's on Second ave in Elizabeth,and just down the block Tommy's Italian hotdgs also carries Best's. Or you can make the trip to Newark,NJ, Avon ave and purchase right from the factory.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/20/08 6:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  The Syd's dog is a Best's 5 to a lb natural casing beef dog. It is currently avaialable at Best's, Jimmy Buff's East Hanover, Bubba's Dog House, Seymour's Luncheonette, and the Martini Bar.

Syd's preparation: boiled, then grilled. or boiled if you prefer

Jimmy Buff's preparation: heated in oil, then grilled. I love it this way.

Seymour's preparation: split and griddled

Bubba's preparation: grilled

Martini Bar's preparation: boiled then grilled. Comes with perhaps the best fries I've had.

Steveg4

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/20/08 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks big g and John Fox, great info. Martini Bar sounds just right. Love'em boiled with mustard, kraut and hot relish. Going to Best's in Newark is a real possibility for me as I often take I78 coming home from work in NYC. I've never been there, Do you know if you can you just walk in and buy em by the lb? Is there a minimum purchase?

big g in joisey

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 05/21/08 2:04 AM (permalink)
                                                      Steveg4, you can check their web site www.bestprovision.com to see the other size hotdogs they carry as well as the other fine products that they sell and the hours they are open, their toll free number is also listed on the site.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 05/21/08 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        Steveg4,

You can only buy the dogs by the pound that are sold in the supermarket. But they are less expensive at Best. For the natural casing franks (all sizes) there is a minimum purchase of 2 lbs. Years ago you could buy a pound of dogs that they would put in a bag. Since 3 people died from eating franks tainted with lysteria, hot dog manuafacturers are prohibited from selling them loose in a bag.

loucrew

• Total Posts: 30
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/25/08 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                                          Had my first Thumans of the year on the grill last night. So good when they are fresh out of the package. Watching them split as they cook.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                            • Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/25/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                                            Yes, I agree...fresh or freeze,they don't keep long...but boy are they some of the very BEST!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 27 of 67, messages 781 to 810 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com