Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 35 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/06 15:44:36
Hello all ,

The secret is out . What a great team to be enjoying dogs with . I know John , Joanne and Mike from last years Jersey Dog Tour . Have fun with it and keep us posted .

PS. Thurs June8th Coney Island Restaurant , Middletown NY , Mini Meet , 10 confirmed attendees ,High Noon .

All are invited to join us and discuss the next tour in the Fall

Benzee
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/08 02:49:25
there was a really good "coney island style" hot dog place on 163rd st in Miami.....
across the street from the 163rd st mall... As I remember, I think there was some kind of fire there, then it may have even reopened for a short time after, but not quite the same again.....

I tried looking for it again in March while on vacation there, but alas, no more !!

Hey , ArthurwSmith, love reading your posts! (very informative, (reminds me a lot of John Fox's(hi John) yet with a witty style , as well........espescially regarding the hot dogs that must have spun around for hours at Newark Airport first!) So don't be a stranger, Arthur...
was that 163rd st hot dog place in Miami the place you were thinking of? It was a large, counter service operation....

Ellen

vocal
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/09 10:23:47
The Star Ledger S.W.A.T. Dog report

Week three, full sauerkraut speed ahead. The S.W.A.T. Dog Team started at Tony's Specialized Hot Dogs, a fixture in Newark's Branch Brook Park for 30-plus years. Loved the sign on the truck panel: "Do not touch. Look, it's hot!"

What's hot are Tony's onions. "The hottest onions I've ever had," reported team member Kamal Brown, who does not shy from fiery food.

Tony's Super Dog -- chili, onions, cheese, mustard, relish, hot onions -- had the S.W.A.T. Dog's driver delirious with delight.

Next, we visited one of the state's hot dog shrines, Rutt's Hut in Clifton. It was rippers -- deep-fried hot dogs, the skins ripped open -- all around. "A classic," said John Fox, who also raved about the relish. But fill-in member Gayll Fisher disagreed. "This dog is not barking," she pronounced.

The Big Dog then rumbled to the Hot Grill, also in Clifton. Love the counter repartee here; one guy shouts out your order, another guy repeats it. Our crew wasn't crazy about the chili. Jeff Greene described the dog as "an average deep-fried dog, uninspiring," but Fox disagreed, calling it "a classic North Jersey Texas weiner."

You could call Clifton Hot Dog Central. The New Corral, also in Clifton, offers an upscale diner setting with your dog. Once again, a split jury. "As bland and tasteless a hot dog as I've ever eaten," Greene huffed. "Deep-fried to perfection," Brown countered. "Good girth, but ultimately quotidian," said Mike Goldberger, quoting Shakespeare, or someone.

One last stop: historic Libby's Lunch in Paterson, across the street from the Great Falls. "Typical Passaic County dog -- pork dogs do fry up nice," Brown weighed in. "One of the best Texas weiners in New Jersey," added Fox, who also admired the "nice and spicy" chili.

Next week: The S.W.A.T. Dog team rolls into Union County.

Note: Have a favorite hot dog stop? Let us know! Call the Munchmobile Hotline at (973) 392-1765 or e-mail to pgenovese@starledger.com.

big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/09 22:44:44
Hey John,what was the verdict on Tony's,did anyone try the chili & cheese dog,it's a shame House of Weenies closed in Newark,they use to sell the same brand of dog,Golden D,but they would slow cook them
on a flat grill.
arthurwsmith
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/10 04:37:02
Greetings to Ellen, LegLace, JoColl and John Fox and all the other Jersey Hot Dog lovers. First, Ellen, that must have been the place --Miami's Coney Island hot dog joint on the 826, after the Palmetto Expressway joined I95. For transplanted Jerseyites(?)who knew their hot dogs, this was the only retail establishment selling real deal.

It was a large rectangular building right on the road, topped with a flashy sign pushing the Coney Island Dogs theme. It had a white wood exterior, reminiscent of the Galloping Hill Inn. But it was more like a porch, all screened, as I recall, with no AC. The long serving counter was on the right, with condiment stands and cheap patio tables and chairs filling the rest of the place.

Thinking back, the place was like a Disneyworld version a NY-NJ hotdog stand--every detail, good or bad, was "just right," almost too real--it had so much "authentic Disney-like ambience" that it seemed like a composite of dozens of places.

It was a living caricature. Too colorful, too bright.

The ketchup and relish spilled over the condiment counter seemed extra bright. Flies swarmed in the screened entry doors as guests of the customers. The staff was impatient and rude. You had better know exactly what you wanted when you reached the front of the line, or you'd soon be playing the fool for everyone behind you.

And I learned the true definition of desperation there. You had to be a desperate man to use the bathroom/mop room combo. The test was walking past unsavory-looking characters hanging around video games. There always seemed be a risk of interrupting a drug deal deal or hooker.

I mention all this to demonstrate the lengths to which a Jersey hot dog fanatic will go for a great dog. First, we can see things through rose-colored glasses--all that matters is a great hot dog.

After raving about the place to my wife and kids, seeing their reaction to shabby reality of the place tore the glasses right off my face. Then when the kids refused to try natural casing hot dogs and insisted on burgers, it added to the fun. And my wife is not a big hot dog fan either.

So the truth came out. I realized it was all for me. We drove hours to Miami for me to enjoy my hot dogs. I gained self-enlightenment. And my family learned something, as well. That was probably 25 years ago. From that day forward, they learned as did I, that nothing will stand between me and a great hot dog.

Amazingly, that excellent Coney Island stand served yellow mustard. A travesty. Perhaps a fatal flaw that brought them down a quarter-century later?

Now,for LegLace, a few thoughts. If you're looking for the Jersey shore crowd in Florida as a fan base of a Schickhaus hot dogs, you won't find them in Tampa. Tampa is full of midwesterners from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and they love their Vienna hot dogs piled high with all the scrapings from the garbage can. They wouldn't know a good hot dog if it bit them.

If you want the Jersey crowd, they migrated to Palm Beach County long ago. It was said that 30% of Palm Beach County was made up of former Jersey residents. Even so, many of them were retirees who moved to Boca Raton and Singer Island, or just bought a condo to spend the winters. Even if they were once avid hot dog fans, dahling, many couldn't or wouldn't touch a hot dog today--and certainly not from a truck. So you are starting out cold. Me and a few others, like JoColl, will chomp down your Schickhauses with undbrideled joy--but don't count on the troops welcoming you with flowers.

JoColl, do you know a place here where they serve Jersey dogs?

Finally, John. The greatest hot dog place I remeber was Haps'n'Kaps not Zaps'n'Kaps. I wish I knew what they served. A friend said they serve Best garlic dogs. The ones I saw in the store were skinless and too big around. I'm sure they make them natural casing--do they make them a 3/4" size maybe 8 to 10 inches long? Second, of all these great brands you mention, did I read somewhere in this forum that if they are frozen, they all lose the flavor amd oomph?

Glad to hear from all doggers.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/10 09:15:27
Arthur,

Best's makes dogs in all different sizes. They are great grilled; in fact probably my favorite dog when I'm in the mood for an all beef frank. Better to get them at the factory where you can get any size in the natural casing.

big g,

Everyone liked Tony's. It was my second time there, and I must say, it was much better than what I remember the first time. The dog is a Golden D, which is milder than Sabrett, but tasted good. It was hot, fresh, and had a nice casing. Boiled, of course. I had chili on half of the dog. It was fine. Meaty and slightly tomatoey, it was thicker than the thin Texas Weiner sauce in the Passaic County places.

Unfortunately, only so much space is allotted to the S.W.A.T. Team. Everyone comments on each dog we sample, but just a fraction of the comments show up in print. All of my comments that were included were the positive ones, making it look like I only had good things to say. But there were some dogs that weren't so great. JJ's for one. No longer natural casing, they were small and bland from sitting in the water too long. I didn't like the peppers at Dickiee Dees. They were hard and not fried. I think someone said that they came from a jar. The Thumann's deep fryers served at the Corral weren't in the oil long enough, and the chili was only fair.
umbada
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/17 09:10:45
I'm sure the grill plays a major role in the great taste of a Jersey hot dog. These aged grills, with decades of hot dog experience, deserve reverence. I'm sure each has a distinct personality and flavor nuances.

Yes. Each girl -- I mean grill -- is deeply and mysteriously seasoned. Thinking about the nuances of grills, for some reason I remember a very simple and unusual hot dog (and hamburger) I used to eat as a kid in Paterson. In the fifties there was a candy store next door to P.S. No. 20 called Stella's. A plain store with glass counters holding candy, a gumball machine hiding a few blue bells, and a counter with a eight or nine seats.

I loved their hot dogs, but it was not until years later that I understood why. They grilled their hot dogs and buns in butter. It was enough to eat them plain with nothing on them. Especially the hamburgers were good that way. The buns were wet with butter and grease.
umbada
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/17 09:34:51
John, I could never provide an analysis of a dog the way you do.

Me neither. I haven't read all the posts, but I wonder, John, or others, if you have considered the kind of oil used in frying hot dogs, as well as what goes onto a grill, as far as their contributions to flavor?

The best tasting fats and oils, to my knowledge, are lard, peanut oil, and butter.

As far as the all beef Shopsy's, I know a good hot dog when I taste it, and that's a good hot dog. I have no analysis beyond that.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/17 16:02:29
Hello all ,

The 3rd Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour is scheduled for Sat. Sept 16th , 2006 . This date fits the schedules of John Fox , CI Lou and myself along with Akavar , Seafarer John , Walt and Brooklyn Bill , so far .

The thread is on the Miscellaneous Forums - Misc. Foods - Hot Dog Tour Fall 2006

A few questions for John .
Is Father and Son still open ?. I'm gonna swing by there on Mon or Thurs for a dog late afternoon if they have not closed yet . Have not heard any posts on this since April so I hope they are still open .

Also for all , whats the next closest dog spot to Father and Son , so I can do a two fer if interested .

Second , On your munchmobile tour have you found any must visit locations for our tour in Spet. Is J 's Beef Chicago Dog in Linden good enough to make the list . Just wondering if its worth a little visit also on my own.

And a final note , swung by Rutts Hutt Friday for lunch after a visit to the Big Apple for a few hours ( day off) 2 Rippers , Relish and heaven !!
Nice lunchtime crowd even had the owner working the counter .

Benzee

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/19 14:04:12
Father & Son is still open. Their last day will be Sat. June 24th. I just found out Saturday that they could not get the lease for the building down the street that they were hoping to move into. So they will be closed until they find another location. Open early in the morning until 5:00 PM. Next closest place is J'S Beef on St. Georges Ave. They serve an authentic Chicago Style Dog. For many people, myself included, it may be an aquired taste. But in my opinion, worth going to. The only place in Jersey where you can actually buy Vienna Beef franks. They also do a char dog. I had a taste of brisket Saturday. Excellent thin sliced brisket with a vinegary sauce.

You are also fairly close to Galloping Hill Inn, Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs, and Jerry's. And Syd's. I'll e-mail you my phone #. Give me a call if you're going to be in the area Thurs. If I'm not working late, I'll be glad to join you or meet you somewhere.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/19 16:15:17
John ,

I will be visitng on Thurs at 230pm or thereabouts . I could make it later if your schedule fits in to a later time . I also want to swing by J's Beef as it is close by .
I will say my goodbyes to such a fine establishment .

Hope to see you then

Benzee
mrcspkrlpn
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/21 13:42:03
Discovered a new place. King's Court Bar & Grill in Milford(Devon), CT. They serve a grilled 10" Hummell's on a toasted roll with mustard, homemade red pepper relish, onion, and the original Cricket hot sauce. They have a 2-for-Tuesday where these King Dogs are 2 for $4.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/06/22 23:05:24
Hello all ,

I got to visit Father and Son one last time today and swung by a new establishment J 's Beef on the way back .
Talked to John Fox on phone but do to scheduling we were not able to hook up .
Father and Son 's employees were somber , as well as should be expected . Upon arrival I made my way right in , no lines and ordered two chili dogs . I also ordered the chili to go , a quart and they were nice enough to fill my little cooler with ice for the ride back .
At J's Beef I ordered two Chicago dogs . Mistake on my part as I usually order one of chili everywhere I go . Dogs were great , different taste than what any dog in Jersey tastes like. Next time I will try one with chili also . I like them but do not know if a dog with pickes , tomatoes , salt and pepper and the like will make it on the tour . I will leave that up to John.
All in all a great day

Benzee
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/04 11:17:16
I made a swing over to J's Beef in Linden last week on the recommendation of several of you.

I'd only had one other Chicago Dog, that was at the Shake Shack in NY and I wasn't impressed. This one was much better, much more flavorful, and with quite a bit more volume of toppings. I agree with what I've read on other posts that the tomatoes cause a problem -- too big. I just pulled 'em off and ate them on the side.

I find it amazing that such a weird combination of ingredients is the way to go in Chicago. I just wonder how it all got that way. Not that's bad or anything, just weird, at least by the standard national preferences.

I got a couple of Chicago Beef sandwiches (wet) to go, Shared them with my wife and son. They thought it was good but too peppery, but I thought it was great, and certainly a nice change from the usual cheeseteaks.

I do plan to go back and try some of the BBQ. All in all a welcome option on the NJ Hot Dog scene. --Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/04 19:31:43
Ken,

I agree that J's is better than Shake Schack. Jack from J's went and said that the Shake Shack doesn't always use Vienna Beef. Also, a typical Chicago Hot Dog doesn't have lettuce on it like the Shack.

I also found out that Father & Son is still trying to get a lease on the place that they were turned down for. Ironiclly, their old location that they were kicked out of will be leased to a hot dog restaurant. Texas Weiner 111. Very similar to Texas Weiner l, ll, Manny's, and all of the other locations in and around Plainfield that use the standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank and top it with thick chili sauce. Why kick out one hot dog restaurant only to lease to another? From what I've heard, the landlord has had a difficult time with the owner of Father & Son. He has a reputation as somewhat of a tyrant, and I have been told that he was frequently late with the rent and bounced one too many checks. And there were some other minor issues as well.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/05 10:16:54
John ,

Wow what news , another Mannys going ino Father and Sons location . Good job getting this news out there .

When I stopped by Father and Son a few days before closing I wanted to get a pint of chili to go . The counter person said as per owners orders to only sell by the GALLON , Are you kidding me , I said , I just want some for a nice dinner topping later that night or the next.

I told her about the Hot Dog Tour and she remembered our group and then said she would give me a pint . The workers all teamed up to make sure the owner did not see this exchange , comical really . I paid for my dogs and chili and said goodbye . As I was walking out the owner came past and looked at my bag , I hid it well , gave the women a wink and wished them well .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/08 20:14:02
I drove by Father & Son today for the first time since they closed. There was a sign on the window which said, "Coming Soon: Manny's Texas Weiners!" I had heard that the place was going to be called Texas Weiner lll. I called Manny's and found out that the place will indeed be Manny's second location. I wanted to speak with Manny or his wife about the upcoming tour, but neither were in. I'll talk with them soon.

Manny's was in the news earlier in the week. A man living close by was found murdered in his basement apartment. It turns out that robbery was the motive. The guy was a handyman and well known in the area. He was also a regular at Manny's, eating breakfast and dinner there every day. One night I was watching Eyewitness News half paying attention, and they showed the outside of Manny's. I woke up for the rest of the story. It featured people at Manny's, including his wife talking about the victim. There was also an article in the Star Ledger the next day with quotes from Manny.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/09 17:42:04
<<Ken,

I agree that J's is better than Shake Schack. Jack from J's went and said that the Shake Shack doesn't always use Vienna Beef. Also, a typical Chicago Hot Dog doesn't have lettuce on it like the Shack.>>

Thanks John. That must be it, the dog I had at Shake Shack definately wasn't the same quality as the one at J's. And, I forgot about the lettuce on the Shake Shack dog, that was another thing I didn't like about it. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/12 06:09:32
Pete Genovese of the Star Ledger asked me for recommendations for Jersey hot dog restaurants that we haven't reviewed yet for the Munchmobile. We still have a list of those we plan on going to, but we are looking for more; specifically in the South Jersey area. Any ideas?
vocal
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/12 14:52:56
How about Stewarts in Rahway. They have a really good chili cheese dog. John can you list all of the places the team has visited already? I know there must be some small and hard to find dog stands and restaurants in the state. Amazing Hot Dog in Verona. Frankly My Dear in Flemington. Toby's Cup , Hot Dog Johnnies, Texas Weiner II in Green Brook, hope this helps.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/12 20:14:50
Vocal,

Stewarts in Rahway is a good idea. We've been to a Stewarts in Lebanon, but each location determines what dog to use and how to prepare them. Last time I was at the Rahway Stewarts, they deep fried a Thumann's griller. Out of the other places you named, we were to all except Frankly My Dear. Soon I'll get my log and list all of the places we've gone to so far.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/14 19:55:02
Places we've gone in the order we went to them:
JJ's, Newark
Dickiee Dees, Newark
Amazing Hot Dog, Verona
Jimmy Buff's, West Orange
Frankie D's, Nutley
Galloping Hill Inn, Union
Jerry's Famous Frankfurters, Elizabeth
Tony's Truck, Newark
Rutt's Hut, Clifton
Hot Grill, Clifton
New Corral, Clifton
Libby's, Paterson
Tommy's Italian Sausage & Hot Dogs, Elizabeth
Syd's, Union
J's Italian Beef & Sausage, Linden
Chris's Truck, Newark
Callahan's, Little Ferry
Hiram's, Fort Lee
Johnny & Hanges, Fair Lawn
Goffle Grill, Hawthorne
Donnie's Dogs, Newark
Otto's, Caldwell
Boulevard Drinks, Jersey City
Petridis, Bayonne
JoJo's, Toms River
Hot Dog Tommy's, Cape May
Maui's Dog House, Wildwood
Windmill, Long Branch
Max's, Long Branch
Old Heidelburg, Keansburg
Tido's, New Brunswick
Texas Weiner ll, Greenbrook
Texas Weiner l, Plainfield
Stewart's, Lebanon
Bridge Street Dog Pound, Milford
Toby's Cup, Lopatcong
Jimmy's on the Delaware, Philipsburg
Hot Dog Johnny's, Buttzville
Davey's Dogs, Mount Arlington
Dover Grill, Dover

Many more to follow.
long dog
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/14 23:27:49
originally posted by mrcspkrlpn
quote:
They have a 2-for-Tuesday where these King Dogs are 2 for $4.

so you're saying that these 10" dogs are normally $4 each?
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/15 07:56:48

What no Charlies Pool Room?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/15 16:03:09
We will definitely be there. They were on vacation last week when we were out that way. According to Pete, there has been more e-mails about Charlies Pool Room than anywhere else. Looking forward to going back.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/19 19:32:58
Thanks for posting the full list John. I've been following it week-to-week but it's good to have the whole list in front of me. Here's two I don't see listed:

The "Tommy's South" that recently opened on Route 130 in North Brunswick. It didn't seem to me that the dogs were as good as the one in Elizabeth, but they have a real menu and a seating area and a parking lot.

Gee Gee's at the beach in Manasquan. Griddled Jumbo Schickhaus dog. Very tasty. Only complaints: Very expensive ($4.50, OK it's right on the beach and a nice outdoor setting), and the roll did not hold up to sauerkraut at all, it fell apart almost immediately.

Keep up the great work! --Ken

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/20 06:05:41
Add to the list:

Lou's (World's First Original Italian Hot Dog), Newark
Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs, Kenilworth
Manny's Texas Weiners, Union
J&G Texas Weiners, Dunellen
Red Tower ll, North Plainfield.

A lot more to follow tommorow, as we will be making an all day trip.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/24 20:14:01
Add:

Charlies Pool Room, Alpha
Hot Rod's, Glen Gardner
Sal's Dog House, Clark
Petey's Weenies, Colonia
Stewart's Root Beer, Rahway (we added this at my suggestion, thanks to vocal mentioning it here)
Munce's, Rahway
Dee's Hut, Roselle Park
Tommy's, Carteret
Mr. Dees, Sayreville
Top Dog, Metuchen

More to come tomorrow. We are also planning a one day trip to New York City. This is great! I can't imagine a better way to spend the summer.
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/25 08:33:19
John:

Thanks again for posting all of the info regarding your trips. I've been greatly enjoying following your culinary travels.

If your group happens to go near the Passaic County area again, I might suggest trying a stop at Pappy's Diner in Totowa (315 Union Blvd (973) 595-1701). They've been in business for over 50 years, with the present owners (husband and wife) having been there since around 1960 (though, sadly it no longer has it's "old-time" diner look anymore. It was remodeled a few years back and is now along the lines of a modern diner). They serve up a Texas Weiner with a very tasty, somewhat spicy sauce. It's the one I grew up on so I'm somewhat partial to it but, I think you'd enjoy it in any case. I hope you get the chance to add it to your itinerary. And I look forward to hearing your take on it versus the other Passaic County Texas Weiner joints.

TnGuy
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/25 16:01:15
Hey Tn Guy ,

Perhaps you may be interested in joining our Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat Sept 16th . The 3rd annual hosted by myself and John Fox and CI LOu, Seafarer John , Brooklyn Bill, Signman , MrPhil , you get the idea .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/26 06:18:53
Last night we visited:

Big Daddy's, Little Falls
Pappy's Diner, Totowa
McCobbs, Wayne
Falls View, Pequannock

TnGuy,

Coincidentally, the day you bring up Pappy's is the day we make a trip there! First time for me. When we are done for the summer, I will give descriptions and comments about all of the places that we visited. But you were right when you said that I would enjoy this place. I did very much. I would say that it compares very favorably with Libby's and The Hot Grill, my 2 favorite North Jersey, or Hot Texas Weiner joints as they're called. I will be going back so I can sample the dogs again. I might even like the chili a little better than Hot Gill and Libby's. The dog was a Thumann's for deep frying, which was left in the oil for a sufficient amount of time, unlike many of the Passaic County joints that use this dog and don't cook it enough. The sauce is zesty, with a flavor that is both spicy and slightly sweet. Easily the best dog tonight and far better than Falls View. Pappy's definitely exceeded my expectations.
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/26 12:08:31
Benzee - Thanks for the invite. I'd truly love to be able to participate in the Dog Tour but the main stumbling block is that I happen to live approximately 750 miles south of New Jersey in Tennessee. I envy you folks having access to such differing and wonderful dog joints. And nowadays I have a much greater appreciation for all of the things that I took for granted while growing up there. Maybe one of these days a trip north will happen to coincide with one of your events.

John - Yes, that is really something that you ended up making your first visit there the same day. And I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed their dogs, too. A few weeks back my wife and I had to make a trip up that way for a family matter, and we decided to do a quick dog run on the one afternoon that we had the chance (we also made sure to make a quick trip to Corrado's Family Market in Clifton to stock up on alot of the ethnic offerings that aren't available in our area). First, we hit Rutt's for a dog with their special relish. Next, we were going to go to Libby's but, sadly, they happened to be closed for vacation that particular day. Finally, we ended up at Pappy's - where I hadn't had one of their dogs in what seems like ages. And what a dog! Pure nirvana for me! The sauce tasted soooooooooooooo good. I asked if they still sold some separately - to which I was told a quart is but a mere purchase away! So, here in my freezer in TN now sits some delicious "all-the-way" sauce, to be savored over time. Thanks to your help in earlier posts, I am now able to get the Thumann's deep friers shipped to me (via a local bagel shop) and can now replicate a Pappy's all-the-way dog (including some Gold's Deli Mustard via Corrado's).

I look forward to hearing of your next visit there. And thanks again for all the help in my Texas-Weiner-in-Tennessee quest.

TnGuy
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/26 20:16:14
<<Add to the list:
Charlies Pool Room, Alpha
Hot Rod's, Glen Gardner
Sal's Dog House, Clark
Petey's Weenies, Colonia
Stewart's Root Beer, Rahway (we added this at my suggestion, thanks to vocal mentioning it here)
Munce's, Rahway
Dee's Hut, Roselle Park
Tommy's, Carteret
Mr. Dees, Sayreville
Top Dog, Metuchen
Lou's (World's First Original Italian Hot Dog), Newark
Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs, Kenilworth
Manny's Texas Weiners, Union
J&G Texas Weiners, Dunellen
Red Tower ll, North Plainfield.>>

Cool! Looking forward to the Report. Sals, Petey's, Munce's and Top Dog are new ones on me. Only time I was ever in Red Tower Two was several years ago. While waiting to place our order my wife and I noticed the cook leaning over the grill with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. We walked out. We still joke about it every time we pass there. --Ken

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/07/27 06:12:33
TnGuy,

A funny thing happenned while we were at Pappy's. We found out upon leaving (from the Thumann's distributor who happenned to be there) that the older woman who took our order thought that we were there trying to get information from Pappy's in order to open our own place. This woman, who I believe may be the owner, told me that they didn't sell their chili sauce. She said that there are plenty of places that do, and that I don't need theirs! She also yelled at one of our women who was taking notes. She thought that she was copying down all the prices. Well, it's good to know that I can buy their chili in the future if I want.

Ken,

You didn't miss much at Red Tower ll. Standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank that is served at all of the Plainfield area places. The chili wasn't that good. It had a sort of harsh mustardy taste. And the workers there weren't on the ball. Better off at any of the other places that serve this type of dog.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/02 06:21:51
Last night, we went to:

The Hot Dog House, Carlstadt
Hot Dog Heaven, Emerson
Stewart's Root Beer, Kearney

next up, New York!
Jimstillman
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/09 22:39:20
I have a question that seems very basic and a comment. Last year, we visited the NJ shore from Florida and purchased 25 # of Schickhaus hot dogs from Wenning's Wholesale Meats in Long Branch. The company swears that it sells to Max's. The hot dogs had little taste and really were too bland for me and my family. In the past we had Thumann's 1/4 # hot dogs special ordered from the distributor in the Tampa area. They were wonderful! They had been described as being beef/pork with a "natural casing". When I spoke to the company last week, I was told that the 1/4 # hot dog now had a sheep casing. The lady said that the hot dog would be "crunchier". I ordered 25 pounds but now am wondering, is the "natural casing" the same as "sheep casing". What's the difference?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/10 06:22:12
Natural casing can be from a sheep, pig, lamb, etc. The regular 6 to a lb Thumann's beef and pork dog (white and blue package) has a lamb casing, which is more tender than a sheep casing. Apparently, the 1/4 lb did as well, but Thumann's has switched to a crunchier sheep casing for the 1/4 pounder. A hog, or pig casing is the toughest or crunchiest.
Jimstillman
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/10 15:13:29
Thank you for the education! I really appreciate your help. I'll let everyone know hoew the latest Thumann product makes it to the Tampa area.

Thumann's has written me that their hot dogs are available at BJ Wholesale Club, recently opened in Tampa; I haven't checked it out yet.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/12 17:40:36
anyone remember haydu hot dogs from newark- they were used at many stewarts outlets a long time ago- wonder if they are still being made somewhere?
ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/12 22:12:34
Hosseini,
It is my understanding that the Stewart's in Kearny, New Jersey, uses a Haydu pork/beef frank, which they deep-fry. I found it well-prepared but uneventful.

Although Old Heidelburg in Keansburg, New Jersey, doesn't divulge which hot dog they serve, John Fox, if I'm not mistaken, believes they, too, use the pork/beef Haydu. At this venue, once a great place for a frank, the old dog just ain't what it used to be.
The Bear
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/13 08:03:41
Haydu's are still being made. There is at least one Foodtown that I know of that sells them. That would be the Foodtown on Inman Ave. in Colonia. All beef and beef/pork versions.

Years ago the Old Heidelburg used the all beef version. And it was very good. Walt's in Linden also used the beef dog. Now, the Heidelburg uses the beef/pork dog but prepares it in an ocean of oil on a griddle. The result is one of the worst franks I've had all summer. The Stewart's in Kearny also uses this dog, but deep fries it. As ScreeBear stated, this dog is well prepared, but ordinary.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/13 08:06:50
Last Sunday we (the S.W.A.T. Dog Team) had a change of plans. Instead of going to New York, we went to a few spots in southern and central Jersey.

G&G, Red Bank
Joyce's Place, Brick
Jersey Joe's, Port Monmouth
Jersey Style Hot Dogs, Old Bridge
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/13 19:47:50
John:

I looked at this past Friday's Star Ledger online and didn't see any S.W.A.T. dog report. Did I just happen to miss it? Or did they skip publishing it for one week?

Also, is it the same group of folks going out every week? Do you all travel together on the same day each week (e.g. - every Saturday)? How long (time-wise) is the "team" going to continue their "mission"?

I've very much enjoyed following along with your tastings and travels. And continue to enjoy reading your insights here, too.

TnGuy
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/14 19:52:00
TnGuy,

I've noticed that the Ledger online doesn't always publish the S.W.A.T. dog report. It is the same group of people every week, but we go out different days depending on when we can all get together. We are still going strong and should wrap everything up by the end of the month. There will be a big article around Labor Day summarizing our adventures. We will also pick our favorites.

You must be psychic. Lately when you post, I've either gone to Pappy's or thought about it. I went with my wife yesterday to see if I would enjoy it as much as when I did when we went with the team. I did. Great chili sauce! Maybe my favorite Texas Weiner. The dogs are fried sufficiently, and the sauce is sweet, spicy, peppery, zesty. The same woman (who is also the owner) waited on us. After buying some chili, I revealed who I was and told her to check out this Friday's Ledger for our favorable reviews. She apologized profusely for the way she treated us last time. She didn't know if we were health inspectors, potential competitors, or what. But I'm glad that I was able to get the chili to enjoy at home. A great place and one I'll be going back to.
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/15 08:47:40
John:

Great to hear that you and your wife went and that you got to enjoy Pappy's again as much as the first go-round. Also good to hear that you were able to take home some of their delicious sauce, too!

I've know John (the owner) and his wife since way back when. And what you described as happening on your first trip comes as no surprise. They obviously go into "full-protection-mode" when a perceived threat to the business appears. It's good to hear that you told them who you were and what that trip was about, though. I'm sure they'll enjoy the mention in the upcoming article.

Totowa being the town I grew up in, Pappy's became the dog (and sauce) that I have used to measure all others against (though I certainly could toss the original Falls View and Libby's into that category, too). What a tremendous pleasure it was for me to be able to relive some of that again recently.

One question about the sauce, though. On our recent trip back to NJ we purchased a quart of Pappy's sauce, froze it overnight and took it back to Tennessee in a cooler. It now resides here in our freezer. My wife and I have had the distinct pleasure of enjoying it a couple of times since. One thing I've noticed, though, is that as we have (partially) re-heated it in the microwave, it tends to separate somewhat - with the thinner parts rising to the top and the more solid parts sinking to the bottom. Thus, when it refreezes we therefore have a non-uniform mix. As an alternative I was thinking that we could re-heat the entire amount over a cooktop (perhaps a double-boiler set-up?), mix it thoroughly, let it cool, then re-freeze it in small, single-use containers (or zip-locks). Also, I hate to keep re-heating and re-freezing the entire quart every time we want some, as it tends to get more and more dry with each use. How have you handled the storing and re-using sauces you've purchased?

TnGuy
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/15 18:53:07
I've always been told that it is bad to refreeze chili sauce. When I buy some, I refrigerate it and use whenever. If I still have it after 2 weeks (which is most of the time) I put it in the freezer. When I use it, I chip off with a spoon or knife what I'm going to use. Then I defrost it and heat it in the microwave.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/15 21:56:35
Last Saturday I went to Texas Weiner (the original) in downtown Plainfield for the first time. I'm not exactly sure why it took me 20 years of living in NJ to get there, and for the last 9 years it's been within 5 miles of my house. But the good review by the Munch team told me it was time to get over there.

It was sure worth the wait. I moved it to the top of my Union/Somerset County Texas Weiner list. I also love places that have been around for 80 years, another plus. Terrific griddled dog, spicy but not overpowering sauce. Just perfect, and, 4 dogs to go cost me $ 9.25, which I believe is somewhat less than the other Texas Weiner places. It won't be 20 years before I go back. --Ken
HungryMike
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/21 09:41:53
I must concur with John re: NJ Hotdogs Anyone remember Herman's HotDogs on the old Route 1 circle in Woodbridge? They were footlongs and great?
My dad and I used to run into Herman at Freehold Raceway all the time.
THere also was a Chock full of nuts restaurant close to there: Very Dr Seuss looking.. ANyone remeber?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/21 13:23:41
HungryMike,

I remember Herman's, but was really young at the time. In fact, it was probably before I even liked hot dogs. My father used to go and bring me with him. I just got a soda. But I've wondered what dogs they used since I remember my father loved them. They were footlongs, and I believed they were prepared on a griddle. I think I read somewhere that they were Zion brand, which I've never had. Do you remember what they used?
Arutha5
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/22 18:56:36
Does anyone remember a hotdog place on Central Ave and Hutton St. in Jersey City. Its been gone for over 20 years, but they made great dogs. I was hoping someone might remember's the name?
HungryMike
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/23 08:10:55
Hi John, Herman's footlongs were in natural casing...possibly a thumann's but not sureI remeber they had a cartoon pictur of a chubby guy with the caption "eat 5 get the 6th free" at that age I could barely eat 2.
HungryMike
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/23 08:19:46
I Just remebered another place of my youth (70's): An Italian Hotdog place in Iselin on Oaktree Road roughly across from the Iselin Theatre. Remeber it in a yellow building I think they used that red pushcart brand. Anyone remeber the name? and are red Pushcarts still around?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/23 09:59:56
That place was JoJo's. They moved years ago to Toms River. We were there this summer. Very tiny dogs (12 to a lb). They use Best brand for pushcart dogs and the Italian style.
HungryMike
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/24 12:55:45
What a coincidence I love JoJo's!!! I thought they tasted familiar. I ate at the Jimmy Buff's In North Plainfield a few months ago very dissapointed too greasy for me Anybody else have any Itialian Hotdog places ti mention?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/27 07:48:08
Friday the S.W.A.T. Dog Team visited:

John's Texas Weiners, Newark
Karl Ehmer's, Hillsdale
Hank's Franks, Lodi
Danny's Dogs, Garfield
Teddy's, Paterson
Hot Dog Hut, Wayne
Circle Grill, Netcong
Big D's Dogs, Dover
Stewart's, Dover

Today, New York City!
RandellButts
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/27 13:06:14
Has anyone ever tried a dog from Davey Dogs by lake hopatcong in N.J.
They used to have great chili.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/28 09:41:22
I've been to Davy's Dogs a few times. They serve 12 to a lb Sabrett's, which are too small in my opinion. You can get the dogs boiled, deep fried, or grilled, (griddled). They're pretty tasty grilled, but as I said, much too small. They use Castleberry's chili, which is decent, with a tomatoey taste, but not homemade.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/28 09:44:09
Yesterday, the S.W.A.T. Dog Team made a trip to New York. We visited:

Nathan's, Coney Island
Katz's, Manhattan
Crif Dogs, Manhattan
Papaya King, Manhattan
Gray's Papaya, Manhattan
loucrew
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/28 10:25:58
Hey John, how was Joyces Place in Brick. It is right down the street from me. Is it any good? Should I give it a try?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/08/28 19:12:05
Loucrew,

Joyce's was definitely one of the better places we've gone to that serves a dirty water dog. So many places serve the Sabrett dog in water. Since it is the same dog served the same way, there isn't much that sets these places apart. Condiments and toppings are one, but I'm not big on these, preferring most of the time to enjoy my dog with mustard only. But three things I look for in a dirty water dog. One is size. Too many places serve a tiny 12 to a lb dog. In my opinion, this is much too small. I believe that they are cheating the customer. Joints like Big Daddy's in Little Falls charge $1.75 to $1.85 for one of these coctail franks. Same as other guys that serve a bigger dog. A dirty water dog should come at least 10 to a lb; preferably 8. But for Sabrett, the casing is better on a 10, so I prefer this. 8's are a little mushy on a Sabrett for some reason.

Secondly I prefer a natural casing to a skinless dog. Many vendors sell the skinless because it is cheaper for them to purchase. Thirdly, a dog should be hot enough temperature wise. Many dogs were warm or outright cold. And many lose their snap if they're in the water too long. That was the case with the dogs at Petridis when we went. There were quite a few others. Petey's Weenies in Colonia also.

Joyce's served a 10 to a lb, natural casing dog that was hot, tasty, and fresh. They also serve a larger Nathan's deep fried dog that was tasty as well. By all means, give them a try.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 35 - Powered by APG vNext Trial