Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 69
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/09/03 16:56:39 (permalink)
This Monday, Labor Day, there will be a piece on New Jersey Hot Dogs to be aired on CN8 (the Comcast Network). It will be on the morning show at 9am.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/09/05 11:43:32 (permalink)
The CN8 segment covered a lot of ground in a very short time, but it was a great teaser for the upcoming tour on the 17th. Of course Syd's looked the best to me.

John, was this the footage that they shot last year? Of course our humble resident expert served in the same capacity for this piece.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/09/05 15:20:18 (permalink)
Yes, this was shot last year, but they just got around to editing it and running it today. It was a lot longer; most of the footage wasn't used.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/10/16 08:52:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimS

I have been in contact with the folks at Grote & Weigel regarding its plans to bring its "NJ Griddle Boardwalk" dogs to Florida. I am planning to visit the Long Branch NJ area in December, wrote G & W and received this response:

"Albertsons does not seem to be happening at this time.

"There is a distributor in Long Branch: Dutch Prime Foods 732-222-0910. Also Shoprite Supermarkets sell a hot dog called Schickhaus which we produce it is exactly like our Jersey Boardwalk hot dogs. You should try Shoprite first. I'm not sure if Dutch Prime Foods sell to the public."

JimS,

From what I've been told by someone from Grote&Weigel, the Schickhaus is the same recipe as the Boardwalk Griddle Franks. They are available in Shop Rite supermarkets in Jersey. If you are going to be near Long Branch, check out a place called Wennings in Long Branch. They are a distributor who I am pretty sure sells to the public. I believe this is where Max's gets their Schickhaus dogs from. You will probably be able to get them here cheaper than Shop Rite. They also sell a brand called Haydu, which is the dog used at the Old Heidelburg and Nickerson's in Keansburg. Haydu also was the dog served at most Stewart's years ago, as well as the famous Walt's in Linden.
travis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/10/22 11:22:35 (permalink)
RE: John Fox query concerning Frank 'n' Fries in Rahway - The place has a full road menu: dogs, sausages, burghers in various forms and combinations. I've had the dogs and sausages and they were pretty good; probably worth a stop if you are in the area. There are some different hot sauces available and the place is clean with a Frankenstein's monster and Bride of Frankenstein out front. However, a sign on the building offers the building for sale and the place itself is on what looks like the old main artery now a few blocks away from the real main shopping area, so it may not be long for this world.
If you're driving along US1 or NJ27, stop by (althoug I passed by on a Sunday and it was closed).
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/10/22 16:00:25 (permalink)
Frank & Fries is temporarily closed. They changed owners recently, closed for awhile, opened up, and closed again. From what I hear, a married couple bought the place for their son to run. He decided that it is not for him. So the parents are trying to decide if they want to do it or have someone do it for them. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. All of the food was good there.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/03 19:04:08 (permalink)
Have you tried Charlies in Kenilworth or Tommy's in Elizabeth? Much better than Dickie Dees. Dees is authentic, and not greasy, but neither is Charlies or Tommy's. Jimmy Buff's, which originated in Newark can be considered greasy, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. Dickiee Dees bread comes from DiPaola's across the street. Good, but Tommy's, Buff's and Charlies is better. Although sometimes the bread at Charlies isn't fresh. I like potatoes sliced thinner than they do at Dees. The other 2 things that keep this place a cut below the others I mentioned is that the peppers are usually too hard (not cooked enough) and the hot dogs are tiny; 12 to a lb! Buff's is small at 10, Charlies uses nice size 8 to a lb. Tommy's goes back and forth between 10 and 8. Dees is ok, but they really should use bigger dogs. A single is miniscule.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/03 20:42:34 (permalink)
Windmill,

I know that your restaurants use a beef and pork dog made by Sabrett, not Thumann's. But it's not the Windmill's own recipe. It is the standard beef and pork dog made by Marathon (Sabrett). This same dog is used at Callahan's and the Hot Grill, and is available to anyone who wishes to use it. It's nice that it's available at supermarkets; but $12 to $13 is a little expensive for 8 hot dogs. Even if they are 1/4 lb (2 lbs total).
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/24 10:34:34 (permalink)
Jim,

Glad you were able to get what you wanted. Thumann's, Schickhaus, and Sabrett beef and pork (Windmill) are all great dogs. Each one has people who swear by it. Again, it's all a matter of personal taste. I prefer Thumann's myself. The Windmill franks are available in supermarkets, but a bit expensive. A few weeks ago they were selling for $12.00 plus for 2 pounds (8 quarter pounders). A few days ago I saw them in a local A&P for $8.00 and change. Much more reasonable. If you really like these dogs, let me suggest that you go to a Sabrett distributor. There are a few in Jersey. One is in Clifton and another in Newark that I know of. You will be able to buy these dogs, the smaller dogs (same recipe) sold at the Hot Grill, and the real big dogs (1/2 pound) served at Callahan's.

Callahan's also serves the same quarter pound dog as the Windmill, but they deep fry, rather than griddle cook their dogs.

And yes, the Schickhaus dogs sold at Wennings, Shop Rite, and other places are the exact same dogs served at Max's. Regardless of what Mrs. Max says.

Be wary when people who own hot dog restaurants tell you that you can only get their dogs at their place. This is rarely true. For example, the dogs served at the Galloping Hill Inn are made by Grote & Weigel of Conn. Originally, the dogs were made by a local butcher shop in Union. When the GHI was sold, the new owners were concerned that the butcher shop would close, be sold (which happenned), or would not be able to keep up with the demand. So they searched for a large and well established meat company to produce their hot dogs, and took the recipe with them. I know that the Sabrett people were constantly looking for the chance to make these dogs. The owners decided on Grote & Weigel. The dogs are made by them, but to the original recipe. As a result, these dogs are different in recipe and flavor than the standard Grote & Weigel griddle frank served at the numerous Texas Weiner places that use them. The Galloping Hill Inn is the only place that uses these dogs. But you are able to buy them at the N.J. distributor. This is the place that supplies them to the Galloping Hill. I've gone and bought them there myself. But you have to buy a 5 lb minimum. Last time there (which was a good 3 or 4 years ago), I got 5 lbs for $15.00.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/24 13:56:39 (permalink)
No, they are the same dogs. And at times, Mrs. Max has admitted as much. I even have a copy of an old article from 1998 where she admits that the dogs are Schickhaus. Other times she says the dogs are not, but are specially made for her. This has been contradicted by someone I spoke with from Grote & Weigel, as well as someone from a Grote & Weigel distributor who told me that they are the same dogs. I have gone to Max's and then grilled a Schickhaus dog on my home griddle, and they are the same. All Schickhaus dogs are 1/4 pound in size, made by Grote & Weigel for the Jersey market.

At Max's, they are cooked longer than at the many other places on various boardwalks that use this same frank. Martell's in Point Pleasant is another well known place that uses this dog. And it tastes just like Max's. If you are ever in Jersey again, let me suggest getting the dogs at Wenning's. I can't vouch for the freshness of the dogs at the many supermarkets where they are sold. This may be a factor. The long trip to Florida may also affect the flavor.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/25 12:31:14 (permalink)
I love hot-dogs and I'll drive from California to the east coast just to sample the best ........ Here is a picture of my favorite and all time best. For $64,000 dollars can you aficionados tell who's dogs are these?

JoColl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/25 13:07:53 (permalink)
Max's?

I lived at the Jersey Shore so the only two dogs I have ever had were Max's and the Windmill. They are both great! I know these are not the Windmill's either since they do not have tables inside.
sizz
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/25 13:22:03 (permalink)
nope !
jeffskal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/25 16:25:43 (permalink)
Are they Rutt's Hut Rippers? They look like they've been deep-fried.
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

I love hot-dogs and I'll drive from California to the east coast just to sample the best ........ Here is a picture of my favorite and all time best. For $64,000 dollars can you aficionados tell who's dogs are these?

RichieRich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/11/25 17:24:49 (permalink)
they are rutts hut and and those rings are dipped in beer batter
sizz
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/12/02 22:31:39 (permalink)
yep...its Rutt's eating in the bar where all the local color is .......... the two on the right are "rippers" and the one on the left is a "cremater" ...........
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/12/08 17:35:36 (permalink)
East met Midwest today in my kitchen and made gastronomic history. Well, not really.

But anyway, using a Pizza Bread traditionally employed in and around Essex County, New Jersey to make Italian Hot Dogs, I did a variation on a theme. Or, you might call it a frankfurter fusion, if you wish.

The bread was made by Paramount, the bakery in Newark, New Jersey, where, I'm told, they filmed a piece of a "Sopranos" episode (I have yet to see one installment).

Into that half-moon Pizza Bread, which I warmed for a while in the oven, I placed two Hebrew National franks which were cooked in hot water. In the pouch atop those franks were placed: sliced dill pickles, chopped onions, slices of hot pepper, emerald green relish, Gulden's spicy brown mustard and a sprinkling of celery salt. Voila, a double Chicago Style Dog a la New Jersey.

Suffice it to note, I will be making it again. Too bad they don't make poppy seed Pizza Bread.
The Bear
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/12/09 21:59:53 (permalink)
AHHHHHHHHHH

Rutts Hutt

You either love them or hate them .

Rutts was our final destination on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour this past Sept.
Despite the full stomachs almost everyone tried a Ripper .
Varying likes and dislikes .

I myself love them with the best relish I've ever tasted.

Thanks for the photos

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/12/10 20:58:53 (permalink)
Great picture! When I first saw it, I knew it had to be either Rutt's Hut or Hiram's. Hiram's dogs don't usually rip open as much as those pictured unless you specify that you want yours "well". The tables at the 2 places are similar, but upon closer inspection, the mustard and relish containers are definitely those that you find at Rutt's Hut.
ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/06 00:05:50 (permalink)
I've heard of Fat Mike's, but didn't know how long it has been gone from the Jersey Hot Dog Scene...just heard of the legend.

Aside from the fact that several people miss the place and that their chili was special, does anyone have any specific details on what kind of a place it was?

Meaning, description of place, type and size of frankfurter sold, toppings favored aside from chili, and the general aura of the restaurant.
The Bear
RichieRich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/06 13:45:57 (permalink)
Fat Mikes was a hotdog place on the south side of rt.17. Im not sure if it was in Hasbtouck Hieghts. But anyway the hotdogs were boiled and thay may have been a certain grade of sabrett. They had other food there but hotdogs were what they were known for. On the wall in the place there was a picture of a fat fellow who won a hotdog eating contest there. It might have been Fat Mike himself but I don't know that for sure. I think they went out of buss. more then 7 years ago. The chile sauce was insane. I remember it exactly it had little tiny bits of meat in it and was kinda like the texture of a chineese lobster sauce only of course it was chile. If anyone ever finds info. on this place PLEASE post it I BEG YOU.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/16 16:25:38 (permalink)
Today I went to the Grand Opening of a new hot dog restaurant. Called Amazing Hot Dog, it is located in a small strip mall at 148A Bloomfield Ave. in Verona. http://www.amazinghotdog.com.

The serve natural casing 1/4 lb Best's all beef dogs. The dogs are quickly flash fried and pulled from the oil before the skin rips. This is a well seasoned beef frank that doesn't need to be in the oil for as long as a milder pork based dog. This place specializes in toppings. You can get cream cheese and scallions on your dog as well as a fried egg and bacon wrapped around it. There are many other toppings as well. They also serve hamburgers which are good, although a little small for the price ($4.25) and french fries that might be the best that I've had. Thin, boardwalk style fires that are fried twice and well seasoned.

I had a plain dog with mustard that was juicy, beefy, and tasty. I prefer the 5 to a lb dog from Best's which is longer and thinner, but the shorter, thicker quarter pounder is actually a better choice if you're going to serve a lot of toppings. The other dog I had was wrapped with a slice of bacon and topped with delicious chili and coleslaw which was much better than average. The chili might be the best I've had on a hot dog. There wasn't much on mine, plus it was topped with coleslaw. Next time I'll get a dog with just mustard and chili in order to better evaluate the chili.

A great new place; clean, great dogs, friendly owners. My first choice for a great tasting fried beef dog.
ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/16 18:39:15 (permalink)
Exciting stuff, John. It looks like we have a contender for the next Eastern N.J. Hot Dog Tour.
The Bear
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/29 08:19:06 (permalink)
This past Friday, Amazing Hot Dog was featured in the "Eat With Pete" article in the Star Ledger as well as on EyeWitness News. You can see the clip on the website. Go to http://www.amazinghotdog.com then click on reviews. After that click on video, then scroll down a bit and click on EyeWitness News Video.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/01/30 10:22:03 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I think we found a new place to add to the Eastern Hot Dog Tour for next Fall . Great recomendations from John Fox will mean a visit from me in the near future .

Hey Screen Bear and John , what about a mini meet somewhere down in you area . John if you are off at all in the next few weeks I can probably swing my schedule to make a meet .

Would also like to check out some of these place we are considering for the Western Dog Tour sometime soon.

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/02/09 17:05:36 (permalink)
Yesterday ScreenBear and I took a trip to Davy's Dogs in Mt. Arlington. Located right off of rt 80 on Howard Blvd., Davy's has been around since 1982. It started as a little hot dog cart (which is still in the parking lot) until they got their own building some years back. It is in the shape of a Chalet (sp). At least that's how I heard it described. Maybe Bear can give more insight into the description. He spoke in depth about the business with the owner, and as a writer, is great with words and can describe this place better than I can. Anyway, nice cozy atmosphere.

Although Davy's began as a simple pushcart, they now serve a breakfast menu, soups, burgers, sides, salads, and deli sandwiches. The dogs are natural casing Sabrett's. They come boiled, but there is a sign at the counter stating that you can ask for grilled (griddled) or deep fried. I had one grilled with mustard only, one boiled with chili, and one boiled with cheese. Bear had one deep fried and one boiled with mustard and a cup of coleslaw that he spooned onto the dogs. I also had an order of shoe string fries which were very good. A regular order is $1.99 and can feed 2 or 3 people.

The dogs were very good. Typical natural casing fresh tasting Sabretts. I would go with the grilled dog if I want just mustard on it in order to taste the dog. Similar to Boulevard Drinks, Gray's, Papaya King, Majestic Lunch, or any other place that serves the natural casing version of this dog grilled. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the size. They were tiny 12 to a lb dogs. And cost $1.45 plain or with mustard and/or ketchup. Additional toppings cost 20 cents more. This seems expensive compared to other places. Jerry's in Elizabeth serves an 8 to a lb Best's for $1.50 that seems huge compared to Davy's. Toppings come at no extra charge. The owner Davey did tell us that his prices are reasonable taking into consideration that he's located off a major highway. Gray's in Manhattan serves the 10 to a lb grilled dog for $75 cents which is a great bargain. But they do a tremendous volume.

With the Sabrett dog, 10 to a lb is actually the best size. 8's for some reason seem mushy under the casing and don't grill up as well. Anything under 10 is too small for me.

There are some newspaper articles on the walls about Davy's. They have been voted best dog in Morris County according to the local paper. Once you start heading west, the taste in dogs seems to be for the milder pork and beef dogs. And they're usually skinless. I could see Davy's as being the best or one of the best in Morris County. Definitely worth a stop if you're out that way.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/02/25 06:28:30 (permalink)
All of the Jimmy Buff's locations, as well as the places mentioned by ScreenBear use Best's for their Italian Hot Dogs. Frank's Newark Style on Rt 1 uses Sabrett. Feuerherm, when you make it up to Irvington, ask the guy working the counter. I talk to him all the time. They use Best not just because it is a Newark dog, and the Italian Hot Dog originated in Newark, but because it fries up better and people prefer the taste. The place you mentioned in Toms River on rt 37 is JoJo's Italian Hot Dogs. They too use Best. JoJo's moved to Toms River years ago. They were originally located in Iselin. I lived in Iselin until I was 14, but never ate at JoJo's. I've been there a few times in the last few years. They serve an authentic Italian Hot Dog. A great stop on the way to or from Seaside Heights.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/02/26 08:05:37 (permalink)
Amazing Hot Dog will be closed temporarily due to a fire. Read on.

Eric Eisenbud and Matt Applebaum, owners of Amazing Hot Dog, are saddened to announce that there was an unfortunate electrical fire at their recently opened restaurant early Saturday morning, February 25th.

The restaurant - which opened on January 16th and is located at 148A Bloomfield Avenue in Verona - is temporarily closed. No other stores in the Brookdale Plaza strip mall were damaged, and thankfully no one was injured.

Matt and Eric fully intend to rebuild and reopen Amazing Hot Dog within a 6-8 week period.

-- Frank Diaz & Karen Schloss
diaz * schloss communications

ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/02/26 11:17:08 (permalink)
I wish to express my sympathies and best wishes to these fellows. They have opened up the first great new hot dog place in New Jersey in quite some time. And that in itself is quite an accomplishment.

I hope the rebuild is fast. I'm sure all the customers they've attracted in recent weeks will return in droves, and then some. Good luck, guys.
The Bear
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2006/03/04 12:37:44 (permalink)
Screenbear,
How far off the GSP is Father and Son?
I was there only once with the group , but would love to visit again.

Benzee
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1