Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 68
Author
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/04 21:49:59 (permalink)
Well said, Lou. It seems they give just about anybody a franchise.

I loved the one in Times Square. My buddies and I used to swarm through there like locust many a late night in the early 1970s. Had my first frogs leg sandwich. Usually I had a dog or three, some fries and a fried clam sandwich. Sometimes, when the whim struck, a chow mein sandwich on a hamburger roll, with crispy noodles to give it crunch. If you haven't had a Nathan's chow mein sandwich at three a.m. whilst hangin' with your pals, then you're missing something. 
  The Bear 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6244
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/04 22:38:37 (permalink)
I loved the one in Times Square...and ONCE tried the frog's leg...never tried the chow mein sandwich...wish I had....and I agree...many Nathan's taste inferior...and is it me or are some of the Turnpike and mall dogs smaller than they should be??
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/05 08:16:04 (permalink)
Though I've had fried frog legs, I've never heard of such a sandwich. 
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/05 09:41:26 (permalink)
ScreenBear

Well said, Lou. It seems they give just about anybody a franchise.

I loved the one in Times Square. My buddies and I used to swarm through there like locust many a late night in the early 1970s. Had my first frogs leg sandwich. Usually I had a dog or three, some fries and a fried clam sandwich. Sometimes, when the whim struck, a chow mein sandwich on a hamburger roll, with crispy noodles to give it crunch. If you haven't had a Nathan's chow mein sandwich at three a.m. whilst hangin' with your pals, then you're missing something. 
 The Bear 

Gee - wonder where you got that appetite from  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/05 12:50:00 (permalink)
In the Mid-Late '70's, I worked at 50th & Broadway and would have lunch at the Times Square Nathan's. The place always had a Buzz of activity, all those dogs on the grill, the wondeful smell, loved hanging out there at lunchtime.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/05 16:03:32 (permalink)
I posted the following on the Munchmobile forum.

The Rahway Grill on Cherry St. in Rahway was voted most popular stop on the last 2 New Jersey Hot Dog Tours. Many attendees have gone back afterwards only to tell me that a few dogs were sitting on the grill all shrivelled up from being there too long and were served cold. This has been my experience as well. I mentioned this to the owner who said he would do something about it.

I stopped in 2 weeks ago and saw 2 or 3 wrinkled up dogs on the griddle. As soon as the owner saw me he ran out and said something to the girl about keeping the dogs on "the hot side of the grill". I can no longer recommend this place. It's a shame that they do a great job one day a year when they know a Tour is coming in, but neglect their preparation the rest of the year. It is mainly a breakfast and lunch spot but they did serve a very good hot dog. No longer. I'm sure they would do a good job again if they knew a hundred people were coming in but they don't deserve to be on the Tour if they only care about quality one day of the year.

Here is a followup post by someone who has attended the Tours and been to the Rahway Grill:

I agree 100%. They are penny wise and dollar foolish. Some folks just have no entrepreneurial flair or sense. Sure, they make a grand or so once a year by cleaning up their act. However, with a captive audience such as we provide, they could hand out coupons, inviting folks to come back, and in time develop a reputation as a top notch destination...year 'round.

Whether it's hot dogs, buns, or, in the case of Italian Hot Dog purveyors, Pizza Bread, throwing away shriveled or stale stuff is not only respectful of your customers, but good business, and should be figured into the overhead, just like the lights and the insurance.

Rahway Grill is apparently more concerned with a once-a-year charitable nod from us than with being something much, much better than it is. Too bad. The four saddest words apply: What Could Have Been.
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/06 19:36:26 (permalink)
Here's a picture of my Texas Weiner sauce. It has the look and texture, sort of, but the taste needs something. It's missing something that I don't know what it is. Think of it as a bland version of a Texas Weiner sauce.

This is right before it goes in the blender. I'm going to let it cool then blend it. Then have hot dogs for dinner tomorrow night.

Those pots my Mom got me for Christmas. $150 from QVC. Nothing freakin sticks to them. I can burn stuff if I wanted and they'll still wipe clean with ease. I can cook rice and leave it there until midnight.. won't stick. Oven safe to 500 degrees, so I can pan sear a steak and then oven finish it.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1875
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/07 10:56:58 (permalink)
Hello all ,
A shame about Rahway Grill ,  what could have been is right .

Benzee
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/07 13:27:33 (permalink)
Benzee
A shame about Rahway Grill ,  what could have been is right .

In Rahway's defense, I drove down before Thanksgiving and met Bruce Bilmes & Susan Boyle for a late breakfast.  After incredible pork roll and fish & grits at White Rose System, I convinced them to share a chili & slaw dog at Rahway.  It was great as usual, but my only disappointment was that they didn't have any coleslaw available.  The nice lady said they only make it during the week, which I could understand.  I was intrigued by the poster on the wall of the "World Famous John Burger," as I want to try that on my next visit -- I'll just make sure it's on a weekday!    Chris
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/07 22:58:39 (permalink)
It is good to get both sides for sure (:
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/09 11:59:33 (permalink)
Just a quick report that my wife and I took a quick (c 20 min.) ride up to Green Village Packing Company on Saturday. This was mentioned in an earlier post by Johnlockdema.

What a unique find! An old fashioned family run meat packing company, way off the beaten path down a country lane. Just an old house with a small processing plant in back, and a cramped walk-in retail shop in front. It seemed very busy, but that may have been due to it being Superbowl weekend.

Anyway, we bought thier special marinated Hanger Steaks, and a pound of the own natural casing Hot Dogs. The Hatfields were not the special Angus ones, but rather the 40 to a box service pack, so we skipped those. Thier own hot dogs are only $4.19 per pound, and are sold in 1 lb (= 8 dogs) cryovac paks, packed that morning.

The steaks, truth be told, were not as  good as a couple of hanger steaks I've had in restaurants, but were good enough.

The dogs were excellent. The reminded both my wife and I of Thumans. Terrific "snap" and good flavor.

All in all, we will go back, perhaps to try a different cut of steaks, and certainly for more of those dogs.

They also had a few gallon jugs of Admiration mustard for sale on the shelves. I bought a Dusseldorf one, it was only $5.99. Only drawback is that it doesn''t appear there is much turnover on the mustard, turns out it had a packing date of almost a year ago. It should be good for another year though.

Thanks Johnlocdema for letting us know about this little-known niche in the NJ Hot Dog scene. As I said earlier, I had never heard of this place until you posted about it.

post edited by ken8038 - 2011/02/09 12:04:19
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/09 12:02:39 (permalink)
Benzee

It is good to get both sides for sure (:

The Rahway Grill , if you give them a heads up , your getting their best , i have to say it's a small luncheonette / diner . there real focus is on  their breakfast / lunch crowd ............ they do a good job,  doing what there doing ,  the hot dog is on the back burner ...... not to be cute , but , the hot dog served at the grill ( is a fine dog ) , is dog that had it's day years ago in the city of Rahway....... as town's and city's have changed , there customers have changed , as other places have discovered , hot dog selling isn't  what it was ., it a niche food , a food that has to be always presented at it's best, it's a simple food , but need's love to be served , as  ................. at the Rahway Grill ............ when it's loved it's great , when it's "not" loved, it's very disappointing ............. reflect's life , no ???????
post edited by Dog Boss - 2011/02/09 12:12:05
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/11 23:56:28 (permalink)
Here's a picture of my "Texas Weiner" sauce after going through the blender, on hot dogs with mustard and onions. These were the cheapest dogs the store had lol.. Best's. I'm gonna order some Grote & Weigel's soon. The mustard is all I had in the house, Mr. Mustard Sweet Hot, but it was actually not bad on this.

johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/02/12 16:13:08 (permalink)
Ken, I'm glad you made it out to GVP.  I never would have known about it except I have relatives who live on that road!
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/15 17:55:07 (permalink)
This is my first post in a very long time and I hope you guys find it interesting. This about the opening of:

Out of This World Hot Dogs
929 Westfield Ave.
Elizabeth, NJ
(908) 355 - 3900

http://otwhotdogs.com/

I saw the new signs and there were cars in the parking lot so I stopped in and after peering through the locked doors and the windows someone came out to speak to me; the owner followed him.

I told them the history of the place and hot dogs in the area and they described their vision for this new place on the corner of Galloping Hill Rd. & Westfield Ave. in Elizabeth. What's their vision? HOT DOGS!

Thumann's fryers (6/lb.) and Vienna Beef hot dogs are featured here. They also have an all beef sausage.

No hamburgers, chicken wraps, cheese steaks or salads etc. although they do have a veggie dog. Well, I guess it's 2011 but I'll still stick with my sodium nitrite thank you.

The fries are 3/8" cut.

Check the menu: http://otwhotdogs.com/menu.html

They told me that all the ingredients for the Chicago hot dogs such as the green relish & sport peppers come from Vienna Beef, Chicago. 

They are opening Friday, 3 - 18 - 11 with hours of 10:30am to 4pm. They said the "grand opening" would be Saturday.

It turned out that this is the owner making her way out to her truck as I approached the building.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the front of the building:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/03/15 19:14:43
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/15 19:50:00 (permalink)
Thanks for the pictures. I was by there myself not too long ago. I spoke with the owner and posted about it on the last page. I was under the impression that they would focus on Chicago dogs and Texas Weiners, but there is a lot of different dogs on the menu.

I was going to stop in today as I was supposed to be off from work. I got called in but figured I might stop in afterwards. Remembering that they closed early, I called their number and got a recording saying that their opening was delayed (again) until Friday the 18th.

I wish them well but am a little leery of a place that tries to do too much. Wish they stayed open past 4. Many people work during the week and unless they live nearby won't get a chance to stop in.
post edited by John Fox - 2011/03/15 19:53:07
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/15 19:54:45 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Wil be awaiting the reviews on this place in the coming weeks . I'm always looking for new places not far from the GSP , easy on and off , for those long trips to AC . GHI right now is the regular stop for us
Benzee
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/16 13:08:07 (permalink)
There's a Little League field right across the street from there. Seems like closing at 4PM isn't such a great idea, they'll miss lots of hungry kids, parents, and coaches at the evening games.

That seems to be a jinxed location. There's been at least 4 other operations there over past 10 years or so, none of which lasted very long. I don't know what it is. It's a busy road, easy on-street parking and a small lot. Yet  nothing seems to work. I was at each of the prior operations at least once and the food wasn't bad each time. The only thing they seem to have had in common is very slow service. Maybe the kitchen is too small or something.

I wish them luck anyway.
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/18 15:11:46 (permalink)
John Fox,

You said: "I wish them well but am a little leery of a place that tries to do too much."

What's too much? All they have is hotdogs, a sausage, fries, onion rings & some cookies and an ice cream pop; that's it.

Look at The Galloping Hill Inn. The latest owners added gyros, chicken wraps, chicken wings, cheese steaks, chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks etc. I'm surprised they don't have falafel, pizza, sushi, and chow mien for cryin' out loud. That, and look at what they did to the building: they destroyed it!

Here's some blurry pictures of their menu from Urban Spoon: http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/583052?p=0

Like ken8083 said, Out of This World's 4pm closing time is ridiculous; rush hour is only beginning at that time.  

Oh, and ken8083, Elizabeth told me that the ball fields have their own concession stand.

UPDATE:

Out of This World did not answer their phone today when I called multiple times to confirm that they were open.

I spoke with the City of Elizabeth about their permits and was told the lady that handles that took the afternoon off and her drawers were locked. I said "There's nothing worse than a woman with locked drawers" We had a laugh and started talking about hotdogs from the area. The lady I spoke with remembered both the outdoor market down the street from Tommy's & Jerry's and the one down The Port. She's as old as me and we reminisced about those great days. She likes the chilidogs from Tommy's but thought that Majestic Lunch's were a little hot.

She said that this was, as ken8083 and I know, the fourth owner of this small parking lot property and also remembered when the hedges around that building were 20' tall. Back then it was nice to be separated from Westfield Ave. while eating lunch.

She brought up Five Points and how it has gone down hill and I agreed. I told her that I haven't been there since I got a hot works and a double w/mustard that smelled of mold & mildew like a funky wet cellar.

Five Points is what locals call The Galloping Hill Inn, that, or sometimes Peterson's but more often Five Points.

She remembered Walt's (42nd St. Bar & Grill) too.

We also talked about Majestic Lunch, which she told me was CLOSED. The owner decided to retire and sold it but there's some sort of problem with the transfer of ownership. We both lamented it's passing.

For those of you who may not know, Majestic Lunch was, or may be again, a storefront luncheonette next to the Liberty Theater on Elizabeth Ave. in Elizabeth. They served hotdogs and chili similar if not identical to Tommy's & Jerry's who are down the street towards The Port and across the triangle island from (Whatever) bank. (The outdoor market was a block behind the bank) Majestic Lunch had a sliding pass through window on the sidewalk and a sit down counter inside as well.

They were never included in any of the hotdog tours. Too bad, I'm sorry to see them go. They had good mustard onion & chili hotdogs.

It doesn't look like Out of this World Hot Dogs will get their final inspection until next week.

Man, I had my mouth all set for some new hotdogs. Sheeesh!
post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/03/18 15:19:10
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/18 19:11:42 (permalink)
Food Fan,
As for too much, I mean too much in terms of the many different kinds of dogs they offer. There are 21 on the menu. Not saying it can't be done. I hope they can. Some do. Bubba's is an example. They offer a few different brands of dogs and prepare them different ways. Jimmy Buff's is another. In addition to Italian style, they serve the Syd's dog, a smaller pushcart dog, and a beef/pork Schickhaus.

Most places that attempt this seem to screw up in one way or another. Either the dogs are not prepared well or certain ingredients are not fresh since there are so many choices and a certain topping combination may not sell.

The Galloping Hill Inn is a little different. They are similar to a diner in many ways. So is Pappy's in Totowa, which is actually a Greek Diner. But Pappy's has the same people preparing the Texas Weiners. Galloping Hill has the same few guys who only grill hot dogs. I live down the street and go occasionally although not as much as you might think. I don't think the quality or the dogs have changed since I've been going. Occasionally I'll get a stale bun. But I can't comment on the toppings and their freshness since I get my dogs (usually a double) with mustard only.

Out of this World is a tiny place, so you will have 2 or 3 people doing everything. Of course I'll wait and see. I'm interested in the Vienna beef frank and the Texas Weiner. I hope they prepare these 2 well. I believe they will as I have spoken to the owner.

Sorry to hear about the Majstic. I hope they open again. They served natural casing Sabretts (10/lb) that they griddled. I liked their chili. It was a little sweet and tangy. To me it didn't taste like Jerry's. I didn't care for Jerry's because of all the onions in the sauce. Their dogs are so good I get them with mustard only.

I don't know if you were referring to Jerry's and the Majestic, or just the Majestic not being on any Tours. Jerry's was included a few years ago on the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. The Majestic wasn't on any of the Tours but would have been worthy in my opinion.
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/20 13:44:14 (permalink)
eggsactley

I checked out Charlie's in Kenilworth today for the first time and have to agree with Mr. Fox. The best Italian style dog I've had so far.

I'm glad you added  ... so far. Try Jersey Joe's when your down the shore this summer and see for yourself.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/20 17:09:38 (permalink)
JerseyJoe

eggsactley

I checked out Charlie's in Kenilworth today for the first time and have to agree with Mr. Fox. The best Italian style dog I've had so far.

I'm glad you added  ... so far. Try Jersey Joe's when your down the shore this summer and see for yourself.

This post was from years ago. Things change. Charlies certainly has. No longer the best Italian Hot Dog in my opinion. As I've posted previously, consistency is a big issue with them.

JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/20 19:00:25 (permalink)
We now have a NEW Italian hot dog at Jersey Joe's that I think would be worth your while to try. It's called a Mex-Italian Hot Dog. It's an Italian hot dog with the difference being that the hot dog that I use is stuffed with jalapeno peppers and cheese. I then put my homemade chili on the dog and pot-pep-onions on top of that.
I've been selling them for several months now and the masses love them (including myself).  

post edited by JerseyJoe - 2011/03/20 19:05:28
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/20 19:04:51 (permalink)
Is the dog from Kocher's?
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/20 19:15:06 (permalink)
No .... Dietz-Watson! 

post edited by JerseyJoe - 2011/03/28 22:53:56
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/22 19:18:26 (permalink)
I called Out of This World today to find out when they would be opening. Today is their first day, and I was told they would be open until 7, so I stopped in. Their hours will be 10:30 to 4 Mon. thru Thurs., 10:30 to 9 Fri. and Sat. Closed Sunday.

I sampled 2 of their dogs. The Texas Weiner (minus onions) and their Vienna Beef dog. The place is tiny and there is no indoor seating. They will have outdoor seating when the weather gets warmer. I had my dogs there at the counter so that I could enjoy them fresh and while they were still hot.

The Texas Weiner is a 6 to a lb Thumann's deep fryer. Same recipe dog as Rutt's and others, but substantially bigger. I like this size better than Rutt's 8/lb. If you just order a plain hot dog (Humanoid $2.00) you will get this dog. You can request the Vienna beef dog instead. In fact all dogs on the menu get the Thumann's except the Chicago dog unless you otherwise request the Vienna.

The Thumann's dog was cooked long enough so that it resembled a ripper at Rutt's. It was nice and hot and the chili was in the same style as Libby's, The Hot Grill, and other Passaic County Texas Weiner joints. You can now get a top notch Passaic/Clifton style Texas Weiner in Union County. The dog plain is a good value at $2.00; a little expensive at $3.60 for a Texas Weiner. But an excellent example of the style.

I was going to order a Chicago style dog until I found out that they fry not only the Thumann's frank, but the Vienna as well. Everything about their Chicago style dog is authentic except the way they prepare the frank. In Chicago it's either heated in water or steamed. A sizable minority of places (Gold Coast for one) offers char dogs. But not fried or griddled. This was a disappointment. I spoke with the owner who told me she is working on getting the dogs to the right temperature. She may offer the dogs boiled or simmered in water in the near future. I sure hope so.

My fried Vienna frank (natural casing 8/1) was good, but not exceptional. If you want a deep fried beef dog, Best's is much better. So is Sabrett. Maybe Hebrew National and Nathan's too. The dog was hot and tasted fine, but it did not have the unique taste a Vienna Beef frank has that's been heated in water. The dogs at J's Beef were better. Even the Vienna dog I had at the Cheesesteak place in Matawan that was boiled too long in overly hot water tasted more like a Vienna. Hopefully the owner can be persuaded to prepare them the way they were meant to be.

I'll be back again definitely for the Thumann's dog with mustard as well as the chili dog. I think I'll wait until they offer the Vienna beef dog in water or chargrilled. One other thing. They use a standard hot dog bun for regular dogs and the Rosen Poppy seed buns for the Chicago dogs. You can request the poppy seed buns for the regular dogs. I got one for the Vienna frank.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/22 19:38:22 (permalink)
John ,
Excellent report buddy .
Is there any specific reason they prepare the dogs that way , with the Vienna ?
Benzee 

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 06:06:02 (permalink)
Benzee,

I asked why they fried the Vienna's. I was told that they were working on getting them to the right temperature. I guess that means they are more familiar with frying. In my opinion it's pretty easy to drop a dog in water for a few minutes. Since all of the combinations except for the Chicago dog come fried, maybe they just figured it was easy to deep fry all of them.  It's too bad that they go through all of the trouble to find a distributor that delivers Vienna Beef products directly to them, use the right ingredients including celery salt, (which is included despite not being mentioned as an ingredient on their menu) but fail to prepare the dogs the right way to make a truly authentic Chicago style dog.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 13:27:06 (permalink)
john ,
That really is strange isnt it . Oh well I do hope they make out , always good to see more hot dog establishments out there
Benzee
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 16:27:17 (permalink)
I stopped posting here because I could not see the pictures in posts that had more than 15, 20 or more pictures in them. That's because I reverted to a Win 98 machine when my Win XP laptop died. To me this forum was a college project that is only written for NT machines. The HD with the Win 98 OS on it started the click of death last year and before I could get an empty HD it stopped working. I replaced it with a Win 7 machine. I still prefer Win 98.

I also stopped posting because this forum didn't handle a copy & paste from Microsoft Word worth a darn. I had to rework every single post to get rid of the extra spaces that this forum inserted. That seems to have been fixed.

Yesterday, after confirming with the Elizabeth Health Dept. that Out of this World Hot Dogs got their approvals on Monday, I went over there in the mid afternoon.

I got 6 different hot dogs and the Meteor Mix and an order of French fries and took them the 1/2-mile home and immediately took pictures of them all. Later I uploaded them to Image Shack.

I'll post them when the forum page advances to Page 52.

Benzee,

These are pictures of Chicago style hotdogs from 96 different places in Chicago. Take a close look at the dogs; it looks like most of them are deep-fried.  http://greasefreak.com/hotdogs.html

This is a partial response to John Fox who said in post #1520:

"Jimmy Buff's is another. In addition to Italian style, they serve the Syd's dog, a smaller pushcart dog, and a beef/pork Schickhaus."

Maybe you're talking about the one in East Hanover.

In Kenilworth they only have 2 different Best's. One is what they call a red-hot and it has hot pepper flakes in the hot dog mix. The same thing goes for the one on Rt. 22 East in Scotch Plains. The regular dog in Kenilworth is a little better than the one on 22. Jimmy Buff's on Rt. 22 makes pizza too.

Neither Kenilworth nor Scotch Plains has regular hot dog rolls or chili. They both put whatever you order from the menu on a section of pizza bread. Kenilworth has sauerkraut.  In Kenilworth the green relish is in little plastic packets.

John Fox said:

"The Galloping Hill Inn is a little different. They are similar to a diner in many ways. So is Pappy's in Totowa, which is actually a Greek Diner. But Pappy's has the same people preparing the Texas Weiners. Galloping Hill has the same few guys who only grill hot dogs."

As we locals have always called it: Five Points, and sometimes Peterson's, and NEVER The Galloping Hill Inn, was never like a diner until the latest owners took over. That's the problem with the present "Galloping Hill Inn": the latest owners turned it into a diner. Just what we needed, ANOTHER DINER.

The first thing they did was to add all sorts of things to the menu (Linked above). If they wanted to own a diner they should have bought a diner and not what was once a great NJ road food hotdog place.

Look at what they did to the exterior: it looks like a cheap copy of the Tick Tock Diner on Rt. 3 East. The Tick Tock used to look more like the Bendix Diner on Rt. 17 & Rt. 46 (Dull weathered stainless steel) until they went chrome & red paint crazy when they re-did the building maybe 15 years ago or so. BTW I've never been disappointed by the Tick Tock's food.

I had a report on "The Galloping Hill Inn" that was just like the ones I did on Walt's and George's but I lost it as well as GB's of other reports and pictures that were on that HD that went bad. Unfortunately I've never found any pictures of the great Peterson's. 

Pappy's, like the old GM Diner in Linden which became The Grille years ago seems to be a diner that happens to make hot dogs and have the Greek style of hot dog chili that originated in Paterson, Plainfield and Elizabeth over 60 years ago.

This is Pappy's blog: http://www.galanter.net/2009/06/28/pappys-diner/ and this is the old GM Diner now The Grille's website http://thegrillonline.com/

I've gotten mustard, onion & chili hot dogs at the GM Diner/The Grille but I never stopped at Pappy's because there were too many hot dog joints in the neighborhood.

I had aerospace, defense, and medical equipment customers around there but never stopped into a diner for food (Except for a pork roll & fried egg on a hard roll) because, depending on where I was going next and if I had the time, I would stop at The Anthony Wayne on Rt. 46 West or The Hearth or the place next to it (Whose name I can't remember) on Rt. 46 East. Those two on 46 E. that I just mentioned closed years before The Anthony Wayne.

If I was going south I also had the choices of Hank's Franks on 46 E. (Just before the Rt. 17 S. turn off) or The Hot Dog House on Rt. 17 South.

There was another hot dog place on Rt. 17 South past The Bendix but I can't remember its name. The building had brick walls +/- 3' tall with windows between the bricks and the roof around the front and sides of the front 2/3 of the building. It sort of looked like the old Manny's on Springfield Ave. in Union that's next to Rt. 78. Once I hit Rt. 3 East there was Rutt's Hut or The Red Chimney.

After The Hearth and the one next to it and The Anthony Wayne closed, a Falls View East opened on 46 E. I tried their dogs a couple of times and was not impressed. Their chili was ok. So if I felt like eating a hotdog while on 46 E., I kept on going and hit Hank's Franks or what was then Callahan's on 46 E.

I remember another hot dog place opened up in an old wooden building on 46 E. in Little Ferry but they had hotdogs of the same quality as Hot Rod's on Rt. 31 in Glen Gardner & the original Gary's on Westfield Ave. in Eliz. Lousy.

I've taken up enough space so I'll wait a little bit to post the rest and ask my questions of "yuppicide" and "Jersey Joe".
post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/03/23 16:30:46
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1