Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 52 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 17:17:12 (permalink)
Food Fan,
Thanks so much for the pictures. Keep em coming. Although a few of the Chicago dogs pictured appear to be deep fried, I can assure you that the majority are not. It's just not the way they do things there. Maybe CSD can chime in.

As for Jimmy Buff's, I was definitely referring to East Hanover.

Regarding the Galloping Hill Inn, I too am a local. My wife has lived in Union longer than I have. She always referedo it as Peterson's. I call it Five Points myself, except on forums like this. Most people are not locals and only refer to it by what the sign says. I actually had to stop my wife from calling it Peterson's because she would always tell people coming to our home from the Parkway to make the first left after Peterson's. After more than a few people told her they didn't see anywhere called Peterson's, she began calling it Galloping Hill Inn when giving directions. At home we call it Five Points. Not a big deal.

I agree with you about not liking the new look although many do. It does look more like a diner from the outside than a Roadside hot dog stand. Have you ever been inside? Very nice atmosphere that resembles a rustic restaurant, not a diner. And the hot dogs are made by grillmen who cook nothing else. The Thomas family bought the place in 1988. They took the same hot dog recipe (from Gaiser's in Union) and had it made by Grote & weigel because Gaiser's was about to be sold to new owners and they feared the hot dogs wouldn't be the same. They did change the buns from Zimmerman's in Elizabeth to Pechter's. I've been eating hot dogs here for a long time and they are consistently good despite the changes in menu and appearance.

I love the chili at Pappy's. In fact it is my favorite Texas Weiner chili. I included it on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour a few years ago. Opinions on it were split. Since about half of the atendees thought it was nothing special, I have no plans to include it agian anytime soon. I think there are pictures earlier in this thread by someone who grew up near Pappy's. It was a little hot dog joint (not a diner) until they bought the gas station next to it and renovated it. I think it was in the 70's but I could be wrong.

The Red Chimney on Rt. 3 was pretty good. It was replaced by a Falls View that is lousy in my opinion. Bland skinless dogs that they request do not go through the smoking process. Tasteless chili as well.
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 20:56:58 (permalink)
I've only been to Chicago twice and that was on business. While I was there we didn't eat hot dogs.

Anyone can judge for himself or herself, by examining the pictures of Chicago hot dogs from 96 different Chicago hot dog places, whether they are boiled of deep-fried. Link: http://greasefreak.com/hotdogs.html

These are the very mildly spiced and slightly peppery Vienna Beef dogs that I bought at Aldi:

http://www.aldi.us/us/html/offers/2867_11946_ENU_HTML.htm

I still have a pack in the freezer along with 5 or 6 other brands.

The Red Chimney had hot dogs that were better than the salty light baloney-flavored dogs from Rutt's Hut.

The dogs at Rutt's used to taste like hot dogs 25 years ago then they changed. I would stop by there on a regular basis to see if they had improved. The last 10 or 11 times I stopped at Rutt's they still tasted like salty weak baloney.

Maybe I'll try them again but there are a lot of new places that I want to try first.
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 21:12:34 (permalink)
Well I got to Out of This World Hot Dogs on the corner of Galloping Hill Rd. & Westfield Ave. in Elizabeth mid afternoon on their opening day; Tuesday, 3-22-11.

Menu: http://otwhotdogs.com/menu.html

Directions:

From Parkway Exit 137 go east on Westfield Ave. through Roselle Park. Get over into the left lane and after the 3rd gas station on the left (The 1st one is very near the GSP) you'll come to a traffic light where there's a transmission repair place on the nearest corner on the right and a dog & cat hospital on the opposite corner on the right. There's an apartment building on the left. That's Linden Rd.  Make a left at the next light after this "T" intersection. There's a left hand turn lane at Galloping Hill Rd.

I got 2 mustard, onions & chili (Texas Weiner) and 2 Chicago style dogs and singles of all the rest of what's pictured below.

While I was waiting for my order, a guy came in who said he bypassed Five Points (Galloping Hill Inn) for hot dogs and was headed to Tommy's down The Burg when he saw that this place was open. He got a chili cheese dog. Another guy got a Chicago dog and asked if they had Chicago style Italian Beef sandwiches. I told him the only place that had anything like that closed.

The counter at Out of This World Hot Dogs:

Behind the counter at Out of This World Hot Dogs, note the soda bottles on top of the short wall:

This is the beef & pork Thumann's hot dog that has a milder flavor than the all beef:

This is the all beef Vienna Beef hot dog that has a bit more garlic in it than the Thumann's beef & pork:

This is the mustard, onions & chili, often called a Texas Weiner:

I'm not a fan of the Vienna Beef hot dog because it has too mild a flavor for my taste. I like a dog with more spices and garlic in the mixture. I had them for the first time when Aldi advertised them for sale over a year ago. The ones that I bought were labeled "Parkview by Vienna Beef" and very lightly spiced with pepper as the predominant spice.

This is the Vienna Beef Chicago style hot dog, note that they have the poppy seed buns:

Since I like hot food I got one of these; the Uranus that comes with a mildly hot green relish:

This is their Chili Cheese dog:

These are their French fries:

This is their Meteor Mix; chopped hot dogs and French fries with a sauce that is like a mix of mayonnaise & ketchup but you guys try it and be the judge. I think it's a novel and inventive idea:

These are 2 of the variety of sodas that they sell:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/03/24 17:54:15
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1875
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 22:16:47 (permalink)
Hello all ,
I willl let Food Fan and John discuss the Chicago Style Dog and all , I do not need to look at 96 pics  of hot dogs that I cannot now consume to determine the best way to cook them .
I happen to love GHI , dont think it looks or feels like a diner at all , especially inside , but everyone has an opinion .
it is a hit every yr on our Jersey Hot Dog Tour , the owners have been very kind to our group in more ways than one , and will continue to receieve my biz when I'm in the area

I do love the  trip report with pics , very good , thanks for sharing

Benzee
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 22:36:09 (permalink)
The Meteor Mix is a great idea too!!!!!

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/23 22:59:43 (permalink)
Food Fan,
Did you buy the Vienna beef franks at the Aldi in Roselle? If so, do they still carry them? I might be making a trip. Also I didn't know Out of this World served a Thumann's all beef dog. Are you sure they do? I was told that they only have the Thumann's deep fryer and the Vienna. Thumann's all beef tastes good deep fried. The Greco Roma pizzeria in Kenilworth offers a deep fried Thumann's beef dog that I get occasionally.

The Red Chimney used the same Thumann's deep fryer that Rutt's does.
TnGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 10:08:43 (permalink)
Food Fan & John Fox:

Pappy's has always been a combo diner/hotdog joint. In fact, It was originally a 'Silk City Diner' that was manufactured in Paterson by the 'Paterson Vehicle Company'. The diner was opened back around WWII (with different names - first the "Boulevard", then the "White Way") by the original owner, Spiro Papanou, who's nickname was "Papa". And eventually the name of the diner was changed to Pappy's. In the early '60's, the current owner (nephew of Papanou) came to work there and he and his wife took the place over in the '70's. Around the mid 80's changes were made to make it more of a 'restaurant'. And by the late '80's or so they purchased the gas station next door with plans to expand into an even larger diner with more parking. That became a very expensive and long process when it was discovered that some of the underground tanks had leaked over the years and there was a serious (read: very expensive) cleanup to be done before any expansion of the diner could take place. And that happened in the 90's - and is what you see today. The whole while, though, they have kept their Texas Weiners - and the chili recipe - the same.

Here is a link to some pictures of Pappy's in the late '70's: http://www.lauriegiardino.com/Pappys.htm. (The couple in the second picture down on the left are the current owners.)

And here is a link to a John Baeder painting of Pappy's, also from the late '70's: http://www.plusonegallery.com/Artwork-Detail.cfm?ArtistsID=448&NewID=6663

Food Fan:

The link you gave as being a Pappy's blog apparently is someone else's blog. If you look at the top of the page it says "The Galanter Family from The Garden State" and the post on Pappy's is just a review w/ pictures of their visit there.

Also, could the place on 46 you were thinking of be the Rascal House?

David 
post edited by TnGuy - 2011/03/24 10:20:45
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 11:33:18 (permalink)
TnGuy,

Thanks for the clarification about Pappy's Diner! I thought that "The Galanter Family " was connected to Pappy's in some way.

I really liked reading your history of  Pappy's.

Those links you posted are great. I wish there were more pictures of the old hot dog places.

You brought up The Rascal House, a name that I had forgotten; do you think that was the place on Rt. 46 E. that was next to The Hearth? I think it was.

Thanks again.
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 13:38:51 (permalink)
John Fox,

Yes, I bought the Vienna Beef dogs at the Roselle Aldi on St. George Ave. Judging by the link that I posted above it looks like I bought them 2 years ago. Boy, time flies.

I looked at the store locator http://bit.ly/fG77vn  on the Aldi site and they don't list a phone number for the store. I haven't been to Aldi since I bought those hot dogs so I don't know if they still have them.

For confirmation of the 3 types of hot dogs that Out of this World Hot Dogs serves, I suggest you read their menu that I've posted here two times. You also might take a look at the pictures that I posted. The difference between the two hot dogs is obvious.

You also said: "The Red Chimney used the same Thumann's deep fryer that Rutt's does." Sorry, Rutt's were longer and thinner than the short fat dogs at The Red Chimney. The rolls were pretty much the same size.

Too bad I can't go back in time and take pictures and make the comparison.

I took pictures of Greco Roma Pizza & Grill last year and this year in preparation of a report. I always get two mustard, onions & chili from them when I'm in Kenilworth.
Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 14:08:43 (permalink)
This is a little report about:

Greco Roma Pizza & Grill
615 Boulevard
Kenilworth, NJ
(908) 272 - 1221

This is the Yelp site that includes a little map: http://bit.ly/euWSq7 Click on the map and you'll go to a much larger one.

Coming from the Parkway or Michigan Blvd. they are on the left hand side of Boulevard going toward Nomahegan Park.

I have at least 15 pizzerias near me so the only thing that I buy there is the hot dogs.

This is a nice hot dog. It's a deep fried Thumann's. I always get what they call a Texas Weiner. It has mustard, chopped onions and chili on it.

The "Texas Weiner" is $2.59
A hot dog with mustard, relish or sauerkraut is $2.18
They also make an Italian hot dog and I'm guessing that they use a sub roll of some kind for that.
A single Italian hot dog is $4.25
A double Italian hot dog is $4.95

These hot dogs are very good and well worth the trip. Of all the hot dogs available in Kenilworth I like these the best. They have a chili that is unique and has a very good flavor. The chili is finely ground, nicely spiced and has a very slight hint of vinegar. There is a little bit of heat to it as well. I like its originality and consider this dog a treat.

This is the building:

This is the counter:

They put the take out dogs in aluminum pans that are from inside edge to inside edge 8 3/8" in diameter.
The paperboard boats they put them in are 5 1/2" long

This is a plain with mustard that I got this last month:
(It sat in the car trunk for about 4 hr.'s before I got home & took the pic)

This is a picture that I took last year of two mustard, onions & chili dogs:
(I asked to have one the way that all the old places made chilidogs; mustard then the onions and the chili on top. That way the onions don't fall off the dog while you're eating it. They were in the trunk +/- 2 hr.'s)

These are two mustard, onion & chilidog's that I bought last month:
(After 4 hr.'s in the trunk)

They are obviously consistent but previously they put more onions and more chili on the dogs.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 16:20:44 (permalink)
TnGuy,

Thanks for the clarification regarding Pappy's. I should have gone back and checked your description from a few years ago. I thought Pappy's only became a diner after the expansion.

Food Guy,

I should have been more clear regarding the dog at Red Chimney. While it's not the same dog, it is the same recipe Thumann's frank for deep frying. Thumann's makes 3 recipes. The deep fryer (pork/beef), the griller (pork/beef), and an all beef frank. They come in various shapes and sizes as well as skinless or with a casing. Out of this World, Rutt's, Pappy's, Libby's, Hiram's, Falls View, and many more all use the same recipe Thumann's deep fryer.

I'm impressed that you go to Greco Roma for their hot dogs. I thought I was the only one. I like the chili although it's a little spicy for my tastes. Last time I went the dogs weren't hot enough even though I ate them there. Most of the time they are very good. Only complaint is that the buns fall apart sometimes.

I sopke with the owner of Out of this World today. She confirmed that the only Thumann's frank they serve is the pork/beef deep fryer. They do not serve the Thumann's beef hot dog. They also serve the Vienna beef frank and the Vienna Polish sausage.

I think I'll drive to Aldi's after work. Keep the pictures coming. Glad to have you back.

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 17:47:30 (permalink)
John Fox,

When I spoke to the owner last week she told me that they were going to have the Thumann's beef, their pork & beef as well as the Vienna Beef and a veggie dog.

When you posted your reply I had to check so I called and she told me that she misspoke when she told me that they had a Thumann's beef dog.

Therefore, you are correct sir!

That picture of the all beef dog is a Vienna Beef dog.

I'll change the description ASAP.

She also told me that she made a mistake and put the regular green relish on my Chicago dogs instead of the neon green relish. I told her that I knew and couldn't care less. The neon green relish tastes the same as the regular green relish.

As for Libby's & Falls View, they had thinner dogs that tasted better (More spices & garlic) than Rutt's and Hiram's as well as Callahan's were thicker and longer and tasted a lot better than all the aforementioned.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

This is the Thumann's hot dog selection that's available at this time:

http://www.thumanns.com/products_hotdogs.html
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 19:37:51 (permalink)
Food Fan,

I went to Aldi's today despite speaking with someone from customer service in Chicago who told me that there would be no Vienna Beef franks in New Jersey. They only have it as a special item occasionally. Last time it was in Roselle was last August. They may have them again next summer. I picked up a few other items at Aldi's.

The owner of Out of this World also misspoke when she told me originally that the Vienna beef franks would be 6/1. They are 8/1. The Thumann's are 6/1.

Callahan's used a beef/pork dog made by Sabrett. Same dog that is used by the Windmill. Callahan's deep fried theirs, while the Windmill cooks their dogs on a griddle.

I was told by the plant manager of Thumann's that their beef/pork franks contain no garlic. Only their beef franks. Libby's at one time used another dog prior to Thumann's. I don't know about Falls Grill.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/24 21:58:20 (permalink)
This is getting way too compliicated for me. Any chance I can get one of those plastic graph wheels, where you turn to, let us say, Jack's Hot Dog Stand, and in the open space in the wheel it says: Thumann's, Pork/Beef, grilled, 6/1, n/c, every day but Tuesday, when they have Best All Beef 10's, skinless, except on the last day in February during Leap Year, and when the owner's son, Melvin, has a birthday, and then they have a free Weenie Roast featuring Best 5's n/c over a campfire in the backyard for everyone named Sals or Hubie.  ("Gosh, " said the owner one year, "I never thought there were so many Sal and Hubies.")

If I could keep track of all these permutations, I'd of probably passed Organic Chemistry and become a famous plastic surgeon...who eats hot dogs.

In any case, keep up the good work. I'll try to keep up.

The Bear
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 08:44:22 (permalink)
I actually did buy the Vienna Beef Hot Dogs last summer at the Aldi in South Plainfield. My opinion was that they were awful! I have no proof of course, but these cannot possibly be the same recipe as the Regular Vienna Beef Hot Dogs that are famous in Chicago. They had very little flavor at all.

In fact, for the first time in my memory I threw out the rest of the package after having two of them for lunch one day. Another thing, although it's not clear from the picture in the ad, this is not a one pound package but rather a 12 oz package. The dogs were not 8/lb.

Currently that Aldi has "Parkview" Beef franks, the Aldi store brand. And although there's no mention at all as to where they are made, the are much better than thier "Vienna Beef" Hot Dogs, and they are 8 to a pound.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 09:54:54 (permalink)
Ken, its easy to  spot genuine Vienna franks. The USDA plant number is 1! When Target sold skinless Vienna franks in NJ a few years back, they did not have the same forumla as the natural casings ones. They also didn't sell, perhaps because of lack of name recognition.
Most of Aldi's Parkview meat products are made by mid-west firms, and there are more than one manufacturer supplying the products.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 10:12:24 (permalink)
David, thanks for that info. I maybe getting a little too obsessed over this, but here's what it says on my Parkview package:

Printed in dot-matrix type: "2011 Lot05 RP#3".
Next line: "Parkview M102 (I think), 29 CT> EST 296"

At the bottom of the package there is a pre-printed " 25-619H-02A"
Does that offer any clues as to where they are made?

Thanks again.

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 14:04:41 (permalink)
I had a report on 15 kinds of hot dogs, all cooked the same way with pictures and descriptions that was lost on that HD I mentioned. I still have the packages. The only ones that are 12 oz. are Hebrew National and Parkview by Vienna Beef.

I took some new pictures of the Parkview by Vienna Beef today.

This is a close up of the Parkview manufacturer area of the label/wrapper: 

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/time888/LabelclosenameLIGHTENED.jpg

This is almost the full label/wrapper; note the circle at the end of the hot dog. It states (In caps):

U.S. INSPECTED AND PASSED BY DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE EST. 1

Hope this helps.
post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/03/28 17:30:45
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 15:29:17 (permalink)
I was at Aldi's yesterday. I bought a package of the Parkview chicken and pork franks (75 cents) for my dog and a package of the Parkview brats for myself. I took a quick look at the Parkview beef franks and didn't notice anything saying Vienna Beef or Chicago style. The customer service rep I spoke with before going to the store told me that  they occasionally get Vienna beef franks. I don't know if they are the same as what I had at Target or if they are the ones pictured here under the Parkview label. I agree with Ken; the dogs bought at Target were not that good. And definitely a different recipe as confirmed by someone I spoke with from Vienna Beef.

The rep said that the private label franks for Aldi are made by regional producers. Since I had not entered Aldi's yet, I did not know of the Parkview name. I asked if the franks sold at Aldi's were probably from a manufacturer in this region. She said they probably were but could not name who made them due to a confidentiality agreement. So what's there now is probably not made by Vienna. I should have bought a package. By comparing ingredients lists and going by my own taste, I can usually figure out who makes the franks.

Pathmark has, or used to have franks in some of their stores made by three different places. Sabrett, Best's, and Dietz and Watson. Best's and Sabrett have only one recipe for their beef franks, so if you bought the Pathmark brand made by either of these, you were essentially getting the regular Sabrett or Best. And for less money too. Not only that, but the Best franks sent to Pathmark were 6 to a lb. You cannot get these under the Best label in any stores. Once while I was at Best I saw the franks with the Pathmark label.

I remember tasting the beef franks at Stop & Shop a few years ago and thinking they tasted exactly like Pearl. I made a few phone calls in an attempt to find out. Two different people called me back. One mentioned the confidentiality agreement. The other person told me the beef franks were made by Pearl. I guess she wasn't aware of the agreement. The beef/pork franks were made by Kayem.

David,

How do you know the USDA numbers for these plants?
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/25 20:41:18 (permalink)
All I care is do they taste good , I'm there boys !!!!!
Benzee

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/28 17:37:07 (permalink)
Benzee,

Taste has ALWAYS been my first criteria. I got to a point where I collected menus from the many different hot dog joints that I visited again & again and I wrote down my judgments of their plain w/mustard and mustard, onions & chili dogs as well as their French fries. Yes, they were scribbled on my lap while eating in my car.

To further clarify the U.S.D.A "EST' numbers that are included on food packaging, this is the label from a package of the Windmill brand of hot dogs that were sold at local Food Town/Food King supermarkets.

This is the label from the Windmill hot dog package:

This is a news article about "EST. 8854"; Marathon Enterprises Inc. They make Sabrett, Western Beef and used to make hot dogs for George's on Elmora Ave. in Elizabeth and obviously make the Windmill brand as well.

http://www.spcnetwork.com/mii/1999/991117.htm

Over the course of 4 years I bought them twice and won't ever waste a penny on them again. They don't taste like what I used to buy & eat in West Long Branch or even Belmar (Their 1st "satellite" store).

I tried them slowly fried on low heat. I tried them fried on high heat. I tried them boiled for a short time and fried slowly on low heat and boiled for a short time and fried on high heat. They NEVER tasted like what I got in West Long Branch.

The last time that I bought the bland Windmill brand in a Foodtown supermarket I put the last 4 dogs left in the package into my smoker during the last hour of smoking two different beef briskets that I turned into pastrami. I did not add any fresh hickory chips to the fire during that hour.

Before:

After:

After sitting in the smoker for just an hour at low heat as the charcoal & the burned hickory chips were down to embers, the flavor of the store bought Windmill hot dogs were improved 100%.

Maybe next time I have the smoker crankin' I'll put some "Bar S" dogs in it. I wonder how they'd come out.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/28 19:28:52 (permalink)
I don't think anything can salvage a Bar S dog.

The Sabrett beef/pork dogs you bought are supposed to be the same as what is served at all Windmill locations. Surprised that they didn't taste the same. The Hot Grill uses these dogs but in a much smaller size. They deep fry them.

Last time I was in George's one of the owners told me that they used Best's and before that a brand called Always Tasty, which is no longer made.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/03/31 15:24:12 (permalink)
A woman I work with who has been a steady customer of Charlies in Kenilworth (once a week) for 15 years went to Jimmy Buff's in Kenilworth a few days ago for the first time. She told me it was her favorite Italian Hot Dog, surpassing Charlies. She mentioned that there were a ton of peppers. This was a surprise since many complained about the lack of peppers. I also didn't get many the last time I went. My wife had just one pepper on her sausage sandwich.

I ordered an Italian Hot Dog for pickup to take home today. I got home and was pleased to see an abundance of peppers on my sandwich. Hopefully they either worked out the kinks or took the criticism seriously. In any event the Italian Hot Dog I had was excellent. The dogs even looked bigger. I'm pleased to say that this location has gotten better. Not only is the sandwich more substantial, but the service is quicker and better.

There were people sitting and enjoying their food. Some were waiting for their orders. After leaving I drove past Charlies. No one was inside at 12:30.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/01 17:07:04 (permalink)
wow .............. what a history lesson ......... ok, i have to say GHI , the new look of polished chrome and red accent's , is a bore ...... yes , the charm of  years  past is long gone .......... call it five points , call it peterson's  call it  GHI ....... but, the old charm as been covered up..... have to say , i going to say many of  NEW JERSEY'S  diners have disappeared because of extended menu's ......... lets get the history lesson on diner's the over lapped hot dog and hamburger stands .................. stewart's ....... one example ...............  GHI is heading that way also !!! do what you do best ,  stick with it ............ no surf and turf for me at GHI................ let's not forget , the invasion of all the great fried food's these places want us to purchase and love ...................... sorry , it's at its best, simple and fresh , that makes the  mark on the  palate !!! 
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 07:58:22 (permalink)
John Fox

A woman I work with who has been a steady customer of Charlies in Kenilworth (once a week) for 15 years went to Jimmy Buff's in Kenilworth a few days ago for the first time. She told me it was her favorite Italian Hot Dog, surpassing Charlies. She mentioned that there were a ton of peppers. This was a surprise since many complained about the lack of peppers. I also didn't get many the last time I went. My wife had just one pepper on her sausage sandwich.

I ordered an Italian Hot Dog for pickup to take home today. I got home and was pleased to see an abundance of peppers on my sandwich...

This post is not about hot dogs but it is hot dog related (italian h/d).

In defense of Charlies actions I must tell you that prices of pot/pep/onions can sometimes more than double in 1 month then go back down again. Produce fluctuates in cost but we have to hold the price on our dogs. Not an easy task.   

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 13:55:41 (permalink)
John Fox,

I have two questions for you.

You said that you spoke to one of the owners of George's.

Which of the owners of George's did you speak to concerning the brand of hot dogs they used? A physical description will suffice.

Why wasn't George's ever visited by the "Munchmobile"??

You said that your wife likes the hot relish at Five Points. I've been getting what Peterson's called the "Hot Works" for many years. Just in case she may not have tried these, I thought I'd let you know about them.

The B&G Hot Chopped Peppers that come in a 12-sided jar are identical to what they have at GHI. I always use it when I make a hot works hot dog.

Jersey Joe,

I had said that I had a question for you; not any more. I got your address from the thread that Ellen started about your place.

I used to do a lot of fishing on the beaches from Morgan Creek down to Belford. Always got skunked and don't go there any more. The next time I'm in the area I'll definitely stop by your place.
post edited by Food_Fan - 2011/04/02 16:58:30
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 15:14:39 (permalink)
JerseyJoe

John Fox

I ordered an Italian Hot Dog for pickup to take home today. I got home and was pleased to see an abundance of peppers on my sandwich...

This post is not about hot dogs but it is hot dog related (italian h/d).

In defense of Charlies actions I must tell you that prices of pot/pep/onions can sometimes more than double in 1 month then go back down again. Produce fluctuates in cost but we have to hold the price on our dogs. Not an easy task.   

Jersey Joe,

I wasn't talking about Charlies being skimpy with peppers. It was the Kenilworth location of Jimmy Buff's. They are new and many people, including myself got precious few when we first went. I'm happy to say that they changed their policy. This was brought to my attention by a co worker. Charlies puts a lot of peppers on their sandwiches. The woman I work with went to Buff's for the first time and liked their sandwich better because she preferred the bread and potatoes at Buff's to Charlies. I don't think all of a sudden the price of peppers went down in the last 2 weeks. I think they decided to add more in response to customer comments here and elsewhere.

I've spoken to Jimmy who owns East Hanover and West Orange Jimmy Buff's restaurants. He has told me how expensive the ingredients are and how they go up. Same with the malt and hops in beer. But I don't think anyone should skimp on any of the ingredients; especially peppers. They are an important part of an Italian Hot Dog. It would be like leaving off the cheese on a pizza.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 15:22:26 (permalink)
Food_Fan

John Fox,

I have two questions for you.

You said that you spoke to one of the owners of George's.

Which of the owners of George's did you speak to concerning the brand of hot dogs they used? A physical description will suffice.

Why wasn't George's ever visited by the "Munchmobile"??

You said that your wife likes the hot relish at Five Points. I've been getting what Peterson's called the "Hot Works" for many years. Just in case she may not have tried these, I though I'd let you know about them.

The B&G Hot Chopped Peppers that come in a 12-sided jar are identical to what they have at GHI. I always use it when I make a hot works hot dog.

Jersey Joe,

I had said that I had a question for you; not any more. I got your address from the thread that Ellen started about your place.

I used to do a lot of fishing on the beaches from Morgan Creek down to Belford. Always got skunked and don't go there any more. The next time I'm in the area I'll definitely stop by your place.

Food Fan,

I don't remember which owner I spoke with or what he looked like. I just remember him telling me that they served a brand called "Always Tasty" until it was no longer made. Then they switched to Best's. It was what I had when I went to George's.

As for the Munchmobile, I don't know why they never visited George's. I was only a member several times; I didn't get to decide the itinerary. Pete Genovese always went by reader recommendations and e-mails. They usually only went to a few places and didn't do hot dogs every year. By the time they decided to review 87 places (in 06), George's was gone.

Thanks for letting me know about B&G Hot Chopped Peppers. I'll look for them.

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 16:57:28 (permalink)
John Fox,

Thanks for answering the question about George's and the Munchmobile.

I started going to George's when he had his wooden cart. The way I figure it; over the course of over 40 years I was probably there over 400 times. When I walked in the door and up to the counter they all recognized me because I had been going there so often and for so many years. 

After George's was sold there were two owners. Then one of the older guys (Co-owner?) disappeared. I never asked what happened to him because it was none of my business.

For the last +/- 20 years of George's existence there was only one owner. He was the older rather gruff gentleman. There were 2 younger guys that worked the counter. For a very short time there was a young lady that also worked there.

I'll say it again.

It was some time in the 1990's that I asked the owner of George's what brand of hot dogs he used. He told me "Marathon".

The man that I asked: "What kind of hotdogs are these?" was the older guy, the owner.

That was the first of only two times that I have ever asked that question at any of the many places where I've eaten hot dogs.

David_NYC discovered that "Always Tasty" went out of business in 1993. That jibes with George's owner telling me they used Marathon dogs when I asked him sometime in the 1990's.

I think that David_NYC should be called David_FBI.

Could they have switched to Best just before they closed? Sure.

Because of working late and going down the shore on weekends I hadn't been there for at least six months or more before they closed. When I finally got there I saw a sign that said that a doughnut place was going to open.

That brown "Always Tasty" sign hung on the white back wall and really stood out. For me it was there so long it just became part of the wall.

Side note:

I remember when George's decided to open for breakfast. It could have been in the late 1980's or early 1990's. They bought corrugated plastic signs with the new menu on them and hung them over the front counter. Since I was a regular customer of theirs I went there for breakfast to try and help them get started but it was opposite to the direction of my job so I only had breakfast there a few times. That, and I'm not much of a breakfast eater. I think the early opening lasted maybe a year.

I sure miss that place.

I think I'll try my hand at the chili again. I came pretty darn close the last time. This time I'll measure what I use. Boy, that will be a pain in the caboose but if it comes out right I'll post it here so that other George's fans can taste it again.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/04/02 18:56:46 (permalink)
As far as the reason why the Munchmobile never visited George's, I think the Munchmobile started in 1998. Didn't George's close a couple of years before that? (Sorry if the answer to when they closed is somewhere in this thread, I only looked back a couple of pages).
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 52 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1