Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 55 of 69
Author
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/04 09:14:43 (permalink)
Great article John Fox. Can't wait to join y'all on the tour.
Johnny McClanahan
Benzee my check for two seat is in the mail. (Really lol)
Applecheeks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/07 01:23:22 (permalink)
I found one thing wrong with this article.  Dickie Dee's is not the only authentic Italian Hot Dog joint in Newark.  Lou's, which is located in the original Jimmy Buff's location, is still open and doing a bang up business.  Unfortunately, they are in a section of Newark that most people will avoid. They still make a great IHD true the the Jimmy Buff original recipe. 

The people there are very helpful and friendly.  You just need to go there with an armed guard.  Maybe John should take the Hot Dog tour there.  I think 100 people would be safe - safety in numbers.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/07 22:07:20 (permalink)
saw a marquee and a storefront for a place called  The Dog House on route 22 headed East right past Somerset Farms.  the sign in the window says  Coming Soon. It is right before Red Tower.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2335
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/08 07:21:13 (permalink)
Applecheeks

I found one thing wrong with this article.  Dickie Dee's is not the only authentic Italian Hot Dog joint in Newark.  Lou's, which is located in the original Jimmy Buff's location, is still open and doing a bang up business.  Unfortunately, they are in a section of Newark that most people will avoid. They still make a great IHD true the the Jimmy Buff original recipe. 

The people there are very helpful and friendly.  You just need to go there with an armed guard.  Maybe John should take the Hot Dog tour there.  I think 100 people would be safe - safety in numbers.

I've been there twice. It's now called World's First Italian Style Hot Dogs. Very good, but in a bad neighborhood. Another place in Newark serving an authentic Italian Hot Dog is Paul's Italian Style Hot Dogs on Clinton Place. It's on a side street
off Lyons Ave. a few blocks away from Newark Beth Israel Hospital. Opened in 1973, they serve a solid Italian Hot Dog.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/13 12:33:16 (permalink)
I just received the weekly email from John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains-and they lead with pushing their 'home made' hot dogs.  As I recall John Fox outed them by naming the other butcher shop that makes them!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/13 12:56:08 (permalink)
The hot dogs at John's are home made. But not at John's home. They are made by Kocher's in Ridgefield Park. The guy at John's admitted this to me. But they won't volunteer this information.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/13 13:43:32 (permalink)
John Fox

The hot dogs at John's are home made. But not at John's home. They are made by Kocher's in Ridgefield Park. The guy at John's admitted this to me. But they won't volunteer this information.

Heck, they don't even volunteer their prices in the store-none of the meat in the case has a per/pound sign, and they get annoyed when you ask!
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/28 16:22:39 (permalink)
johnbin

Camille heads to Newark, New Jersey, to settle a score between Jimmy Buff's and Charlie's Famous Italian Hot Dogs, over who makes the best Italian Style Hot Dog. Food Wars is all new Wednesday at 10pm on Travel Channel. benscarts.com/

They may be showing new episodes, but that episode is from last year.  I won't spoil the winner, though.
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/29 07:14:15 (permalink)
johnbin

Camille heads to Newark, New Jersey, to settle a score between Jimmy Buff's and Charlie's Famous Italian Hot Dogs, over who makes the best Italian Style Hot Dog. Food Wars is all new Wednesday at 10pm on Travel Channel. benscarts.com/
I'm very confident that there would be a different outcome if they visited Jersey Joe's!!!
post edited by JerseyJoe - 2011/07/29 07:17:05
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/02 16:59:43 (permalink)
Rutt's Hut has prevailed in their trademark lawsuit against Mutt's Hut, which will have to change their name, fyi.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/03 15:18:33 (permalink)
Recently someone mentioned that Calabria's, a pizzeria in Colonia advertised that they serve a "Newark style Italian Hot Dog". I was in the area today so I stopped in for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised. They serve an authentic Italian Hot Dog. First thing I asked was "does it come on pizza bread?" When told that it does, I ordered one. For less than $5.00 I got a very good Italian Hot Dog. Mijo's in Colonia and Goombas in Union are two pizzerias that no longer use pizza bread.

Calabria's gets theirs from a bakery in Paterson. It is harder and sturdier than others. Calabria's puts it in the oven for a little while to make it crisp. A nice touch. Never had it this way before and it was a nice change of pace. Two 8/1 dogs were deep fried and topped with plenty of green peppers that were cooked on a griddle. The potatoes were cut as soon as I ordered and put in a dep fryer. They were thin and resembled french fries.

Very good Italian Hot Dog. Outstanding for a pizzeria. I was full for less than $5.00. Great value.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/04 16:00:06 (permalink)
The Munchmobile visited Charlies Pool Room for their season ending trip. The article will be in tomorrow's Star Ledger. I'll include a link tomorrow for those who don't get the Ledger.
Applecheeks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/04 18:40:33 (permalink)
It's hard to believe it's been two years since my last visit to Charlie's Pool Room.  But given my health problems over the past few years, it's no surprise.  But now that I'm on the mend and feeling better every day, I thought it was time.  I woke up this morning and saw what a beautiful day it was and I was headed for Alpha, NJ,
I walked in and Joe did not recognize me (which is unusual).  But I have lost a lot of weight and my hair is much grayer, so it was no surprise.  When I said Applecheeks, Joe said "I was just talking about you last night", and gave me a great big hug.  He called to John and said "Look who's here, it Applecheeks".  I felt like a long lost relative.  That's just how they make you feel - like family. 
I had a few dogs with just the sauce. As always, they were great.  We sat and chatted and the FedEx man came in for lunch.  He sat with us and talked for awhile.  I stayed for a little over an hour talking with Joe and John.  It is always a wonderful experience.  Joe told me they were honored by the city of Alpha for being the oldest business in Alpha and were given the key to the city.  I wish I could have been there on that special day. 
Joe also told me that the Munchmobile had been there.  I also missed a visit by John Fox this week.  I was supposed to join the group that visited on March 29th when Holly Moore paid a visit.  I missed out because on March 28th I got a call from the transplant clinic that they had a kidney for me.  So I had to make a choice - a new kidney or a few Mealies.  I took the kidney, but missed out on meeting Holly Moore.
I took a few Mealies "on a leash" home for dinner.  The problem is, trying not to dig in the bag for just one more bite.  John walked me to my car and we talked some more. It is a pleasure to spend time with Joe and John.  They are two of the nicest gentlemen I have ever known.  I am certain it won't be two years before I go back there.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/05 15:27:00 (permalink)
Charlies is mentioned here: http://www.nj.com/enterta...011_rollin_on_the.html

I was there last week with Bruce Kraig who is witing a book on hot dogs, and more specifically hot dog culture. Bruce had a photographer and a driver with him. I was asked to take him to a bunch of places that represent the various styles of hot dogs in New Jersey. He was looking for places that serve good dogs, have a bit of history, are a good example of a particular style, and have something special going for them. Charlies was a favorite.

Bruce has already published Hot Dogs: A Global History. His next book will be called Man Bites Dog and will be out in about a year.

Rutt's article here:
http://www.northjersey.co...ot_dog_name_fight.html
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/11 15:07:24 (permalink)
I have been going to Rutt's Hut my entire life.  I remember standing at the 'kids counter', and being so excited when I was finally tall enough to reach the 'adult counter'!  It was great to be able to buy a pint (or quart) of relish to bring home. (great on baloney sandwiches)  As an adult, I would still stop by and pick up a pint of relish to bring home.
The past two times, however, the relish tastes....off.  There's a tart, vinegary, going bad taste that has NEVER been there before.  It tastes fine at the Hut, but I'm wondering what's going on after a week in my frig.  Has anyone else had this experience, or am I speaking heresy?
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/24 09:55:04 (permalink)
I happenned to be in the area yesterday, and remembering the discussion on Hot Dog Nation (see our Facebook page), decided to stop by Big Blues in Linden for lunch. Great sandwich! I think the potatoes may be the best I've had on an Italian Hot Dog. And I love the marinated peppers. Easily the most substantial Italian Hot Dog out there and definitely a great value at under $6 for a sandwich that will fill you. Fresh and made to order.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/26 15:00:02 (permalink)
I took a trip to Green Village Packing Co. in Chatam yesterday. First time there, but I have had their franks previously and described them elsewhere on Roadfood. The place was mentioned by Roadfooders John Lockadema and Ken. I found out that they do NOT make the franks there, but that they are made at Schmalz Provisions in Springfield. Schmalz uses meat from animals that have been slaughtered at Green Village's slaughterhouse. So does Kocher's as well as other meat packers. When I had these franks I said they were as good as any German style beef/pork frank that I had. Today I wanted to compare them to 3 other favorites.

I did a taste comparison between Green Village/Schmalz, Thumann's, Union Pork Store, and Kocher's. All are 6/lb. I was mistaken when I said the Franks I received from Green Village were 8/1. They are long and thin as are the Thumann's. Kocher's and Union Pork Store (true butcher shop franks) are shorter and thicker. Schmalz's regular franks are the same exact ones Green Village sells. Schmalz also makes a pork/veal frank, private label franks, bratwurst, and other meats. They make the franks for Lutz's which are their private label franks sold in supermarkets. They also make the franks for Hot Dog Johnny's. Another instance where there is a special recipe made. The franks made to Johnny's specifications are skinless and bland compared to the regular franks.

All franks in this tasting were purchased in the last 2 days and were fresh. Last time I compared Green Village franks to one from the Union Pork Store, the Union Pork Store frank was maybe past it's prime.

All the franks were eaten plain and water was used to cleanse my palate. By plain I mean no condiments. I had them on hot dog buns, but after eating half of each dog, I discarded the buns. Since I was by myself, I knew the identities of the dogs. I usually have a helper and compare what I'm eating blindfolded.

The results: I couldn't pick a winner! All were equally as good. 3 of the 4 were almost identical in taste. Thumann's has a unique taste that is easier to pick out. These 4 are the best examples of beef/pork franks I've had. You can possibly throw in the Galloping Hill Inn dog, Hartmann's, and Lutz's. The last 3 weren't included in the tasting today. Thumann's and Schmalz were longer and thinner, while the pork store franks were shorter and thicker.

Schmalz/Green Village had a tighter casing. The other 3 were softer in texture, but again practically identical in regards to taste. The recipes and spicing have to be similar. Regarding price: Thumann's $5.99/lb, Green Village $4.19 plus tax for about 1 1/2 lbs. Kocher's $8.99 per lb. Union Pork Store $5.99 lb. I went to Schmalz's store and bought 5/6 of a lb (5 franks) for $2.38.

Kocher's franks were purchased at John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains. If you buy them at Kocher's they are $6.80/lb. Karl Ehmer's in Hillsdale may even charge less.

These are my favorite examples of German style beef/pork hot dogs. I suggest comparing them yourself. Union Pork Store is close to me and convenient. I can buy as little as 1 if I want. They are as fresh as can be and as good as the best of the best. Thumann's can be bought at any supermarket. Schmalz's is fairly close to my home and a bargain at $2.38 for a package of 5. They also sell slightly longer franks (same recipe) behind the deli counter but are the same recipe. Kocher's are excellent franks but John's charges too much for them. If you are near Ridgefield Park or Hillsdale, I suggest getting them there for less. According to one of the owners of Kocher's, they sell their franks to to about 40 or 50 stores. Many are delis and butcher shops that claim them as their own.
post edited by John Fox - 2011/08/26 15:01:15
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1596
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/26 15:54:09 (permalink)
Hi John. Thanks for another amazing analysis of local hot dogs.  As you said, John's Meat Market right here in Scotch Plains is way overpriced, on everything. I think we bought meat there one time when we first moved here 13 years ago and wondered what the fuss was all about. We've never gone back.  The steaks at Costco are just as good and about 1/3 the price.

One question, does Schmalz have it's own store? Or are you referring to the Deli in Clark that carries thier franks?

Thanks again!

Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/26 19:13:43 (permalink)
ken8038

Hi John. Thanks for another amazing analysis of local hot dogs.  As you said, John's Meat Market right here in Scotch Plains is way overpriced, on everything. I think we bought meat there one time when we first moved here 13 years ago and wondered what the fuss was all about. We've never gone back.  The steaks at Costco are just as good and about 1/3 the price.

One question, does Schmalz have it's own store? Or are you referring to the Deli in Clark that carries thier franks?

Thanks again!

yes i found John's Meat Market to really pricey , you want a good butcher , but who want's to buy the cow three times ?

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/26 19:25:52 (permalink)
Schmalz does have a store with a deli counter. Small, but bigger than the Green Village Store. No site yet, but here is some contact info: http://schmalzs.com/

Their hours are Wed to Fri. 11:00 to 3:00 and Sat. 7:00 to 1:00

Located on Fadem Rd. in Springfield right off RT. 22 East. Everything is priced very reasonably. They have all the meats you would expect from a deli/butcher shop. And as I said, their regular beef/pork franks are the same as what you got from Green Village. In packs of 5 (.80) lb for $2.38 approx. Or you can buy the bigger ones (same recipe) behind the deli counter.

These will be some franks I'll be buying a lot of from now on.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/26 20:29:27 (permalink)
Thanks for the info John. Wow, all these years and I never heard of this place. Only about 10 minutes away for me. I'll be there soon for sure.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/27 07:05:18 (permalink)
They moved to Springfield about 2 or 3 years ago. Prior to that they were located on Napolean St. in the Ironbound section of Newark. About 9 years ago I saw a small van with the name Schmalz Provisions on it. It happenned to be on my route in Colonia. I spoke with the guy who lived where it was parked and found out that they made hot dogs. Never heard of them before.

I asked where his franks were sold. Many are sold out of state including Florida and even Chicago under a different name. Some went to Russia. Mr. Schmalz said they had a hard time getting into Shop Rite. They were briefly in a Shop Rite in Union and one in Millburn. You can find them at the Wine Library in Springfield in a section where they sell gourmet meat and cheeses. Also at Federico's (formerly Schmidt's) in the Clarkton shopping Center on Raritan Rd.

I then asked if his franks were sold at any hot dog joints. Yes; Hot Dog Johnny's! Without thinking I blurted out that I didn't like Hot Dog Johnny's. But they make an entirely different recipe for them. West Jersey/Eastern PA prefers mild (bordering on bland) franks. Up until this point I had been unsuccesful finding out where Johnny's gets their franks from. The woman who owns the place wouldn't tell me and was downright nasty when I asked. Even though I didn't like the dogs there, I was curious as to what they were and tried every trick I know to find out. It was the only place where I failed to get this info until I met Mr. Schmalz. Had the owner of Johnny's told me the brand and asked me not to reveal it, I would not have posted it. I found out later she was angry that I revealed it.

Believe it or not there are some who have asked me where to get the franks served at Hot Dog Johnny's. The only place is Hot Dog Johnny's. Schmalz's makes them as part of a private label arrangement and will not sell them to the public. That's ok because in my opinion their regular franks are much better and as good or better than any German frank I've tasted.
Most people would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between Schmalz, Union Pork Store, and Kocher's. I can't and I've sampled many hot dogs from many places.These 3 are practically identical in flavor. Schmalz's has more snap. Some may or may not prefer it. Thumann's, which is as good as these, tastes slightly different. Depending on my mood, sometimes I actually prefer one of the other 3 to Thumann's. When you sample one brand of hot dog you form an opinion. A week or so later you sample a different brand in the same style. Depending on how you feel that particular day, you may think one is much better than the other even if they are practically the same. A better way of judging how much you like something is to compare similar styles of franks next to each other at the same time. Then you really see how they stack up against each other. Even then you may find that a month later repeating the same taste test, you may prefer a different frank. Taste can be fickle and changing. I know mine is. More and more I am finding that my taste buds are enjoying the butcher shop franks as much or more on occasion than Thumann's, which has always been my favorite German frank.

I suggest doing your own comparison. It's easy and cheap. You can buy 1 frank of each with the exception of Thumann's. Schmalz's store sells loose franks behind the deli counter that are a little larger (lengthwise), but the same recipe as those that are packaged on the shelf. Also, it's very cold in the store, so bring a jacket if you plan on being  there awhile. Yesterday there were quite a few people in there.

The franks labelled Lutz's that are packaged at their store and in supermarkets are made by Schmalz because Lutz is prohibited from packaging what they make on site because of federal laws. Something about not being A USDA plant I think. But the loose franks sold at Lutz are made at their store. Last time I had one it was very mild and somewhat mushy compared to one from the Union Pork Store.

Not sure if the franks packaged at Schmalz for Lutz are the Schmalz recipe or not. I suspect they are. John Schmalz would not answer directly though he did tell me that Hot Dog Johnny's gets their own recipe. I don't think he likes the fact that I mentioned that Hot Dog Johnny's gets their franks from Schmalz when the owner wanted it a secret. Until recently she wouldn't even mention how the dogs were prepared and was nasty when I asked. Now they have to disclose it since they fry their dogs in peanut oil and some people are allergic to it.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/27 12:46:46 (permalink)
I always bow to John Fox's hot dog opinions, but I've got to say I like hot Dog Johnny's. Maybe just because just abot anything they might serve would taste pretty good enjoyed beside that babbling brook...

Cheers, John 
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/27 12:54:31 (permalink)
I just got back from Schmalz. Like my wife says, when I get a bee in my bonnet...

Anyway, I bought two packs of franks. Thanks for all the details John. Unless I missed the ones you mentioned, these were 6 to a pack and around a pound each. Again, very reasonably priced, around $2.99/lb, or about 1/2 the price of Thumann's and just as good or better. I'm looking forward to having them. As you said, I've had the same dogs before, from Green Village so I know I'll like them.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/29 11:28:53 (permalink)
seafarer john

I always bow to John Fox's hot dog opinions, but I've got to say I like hot Dog Johnny's. Maybe just because just abot anything they might serve would taste pretty good enjoyed beside that babbling brook...

Cheers, John 

yes, the setting is very nice, the building and the lil ice cream stand, all add to the experience .............. but , the dog's r the pit's !!! i alway's preferred to stop up the road a bit more  @ king cole ............. yes, we liked that better. since there last major flood , putting them out of business , never knew their  dog maker.....  john fox any idea on king coles dog's ? 
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/29 20:17:16 (permalink)
Don't know anything about King Cole's. Someone mentioned it on page 18 of this thread.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/31 06:52:39 (permalink)
Yesterday I was in Perth Amboy. I had heard about a place serving hot dogs called Coney Island something or other, so I looked for it. The place is called the New Coney Island Restaurant. It's actually been around for years and was called the Coney Island Restaurant. New refers to either new owners or renovations that were done. I think it's the latter although the place looks like it's out of the 1940's.

It's an old time looking luncheonette with a long counter. When I saw hot dogs on a roller grill, I almost walked out. Since I was there, I figured I would stay for a few dogs. I've heard about this place years ago and from what I read somewhere they have a reputation for good chili.

The dogs are 8/1 skinless Thumann's beef/pork grillers. Despite being prepared on the roller grill, they were hot and tasted good. The chili was excellent. Thick, and not as hot  compared to the Plainfield area Texas Weiner joints that grill their dogs and serve a thick, spicy chili. The chili here is in the style of places I've been to in New York in and around Newburgh and the Hudson Valley. I'm sure it is like many in PA as well.

It was almost identical to the chili at the Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown, N.Y. which is one of my favorites. Also reminiscent of the chili homemade and given out by John Sagi of the Gourmet Chili Dog site at some of the Hot Dog Tours in the past. I love this chili but Middletown N.Y. is too far to travel to regularly. Now I can enjoy it when I'm up to travelling 15 miles.

The New Coney Island Restaurant is located at 192 Smith St. in Perth Amboy. While I would prefer a natural casing frank prepared on a griddle, these dogs were hot and tasted very good. Went well with the chili. The casing and char imparted from a griddle isn't as significant if the dog has toppings. Regular dogs are $1.60. With mustard, chili, and onions (Coney) $2.10 which is good for an 8/1 served on a quality steamed bun. And they are generous with the amount of chili. I think there is a special of 2 Coneys with fries and a soda for $5.99. I'll definitely be back.

I went back yesterday and had two chili dogs. I think that this may be my favorite chili. I really like the style. As I mentioned, it's almost identical to the chil from the Coney Island Restauarnt in Middletown, N.Y. Again my hot dogs were hot and delicious. Just wish they would use a natural casing frank and a real grill. But it's not as noticeable when the dog is covered with that excellent chili. They do sell it to go. A little expensive at $6 a container (Hot Grill and Father & Son charge $3 and change) but I bought some to bring home. I believe this type of chili goes best on a German style dog rather than a spicy all beef frank. I will be putting it on some quality natural casing dogs this weekend.
post edited by John Fox - 2012/03/17 07:38:42
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/08/31 18:59:58 (permalink)
Thanks for another discovery John. Great writeup, as usual. Never heard of this place either, although I'm sure I've passed it. A certain co-worker of yours and I used to go looking for old bars in that area 20 years ago. 

I will get there soon. Thanks again.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/09/02 14:53:40 (permalink)
I just made a visit to Schmalz's.  First, the entire room is a meat locker, so dress properly.  Don't be in a hurry, there were five or six Polish ladies in front of me, and with one counterman things progressed slowly.  As noted above, packaged dogs are $2.99, but loose dogs were an amazing $2.69/lb.

Lot of other specialty Polish things like mustards, jarred fruit and vegetables, and quite a lot of stuff I had no idea of what it was! 

Oh, and CASH ONLY!
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/09/02 15:02:26 (permalink)
I might be going tomorrow to pick up some dogs and brats for a party. They also carry kabanosy, bockwurst, bratwurst, and other meats. All good quality and for less than you would find practically anywhere else selling premium products.
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 55 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1