The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 67, messages 151 to 180 of 1989
ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 03/5/06 9:40 AM (permalink)
Benzee,
According to this calculation from Mapquest, it's 3 miles from the Parkway, Exit #136, South. They're closed Sundays.

Hope you are well. Bear

6: Take EXIT 136 toward LINDEN / ROSELLE / WINFIELD PK. 0.1 miles

7: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto CR-615 / CENTENNIAL AVE. <0.1 miles

8: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT. <0.1 miles

9: Turn LEFT onto CR-615 / CENTENNIAL AVE. Continue to follow CR-615. 1.1 miles

10: Turn LEFT onto CR-615 / N STILES ST. 1.2 miles

11: Turn LEFT onto W BLANCKE ST. 0.4 miles

12: End at 10 E Blancke St (Father & Son Luncheonette)

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 03/6/06 9:58 PM (permalink)
    hey guys, Signman, John Fox, Benzee, and Hi Sue (aleswench)
    check out my (better late than never) pics from our Sept. hot dog tour.....(I have a few more, but I'm still learning this "pasting" and "copying" stuff...

it's in the "where should I eat" forum,,.....mixed in my Naples/Ft. Myers report...

unexpected pics at the end....(as I'm not good at separating them from the florida ones)

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/7/06 6:29 PM (permalink)
      I've just learned that Father & Son Luncheonette will be closing. There was a rumor on another forum about it, so I called to ask. They will be closing in June sometime and hope to relocate. Their lease is up, and the woman I spoke with didn't know if they were being kicked out or if the owner chose to leave. They are known for their fine grilled hot dogs (Grote & Weigel all beef) as well as their spicy chili. One of my favorite places to get a hot dog. Hopefully they will open again. Make sure that you make it over there between now and June. They sell chili by the pint, quart, or gallon.

ScreenBear

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/7/06 10:13 PM (permalink)
        Gee,
        Father and Son closing? Another one bites the dust. Too bad...a truly unique place, and my favorite chili dog.
        The Bear

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/7/06 11:54 PM (permalink)
          Hopefully, it will be a relocation rather than a closure.

Definitely my favorite chili of the 2 NJ Dog Tours.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 04/8/06 1:49 AM (permalink)
            Wow !!

That place has a great chili dog .
            John can you give us directions from the GSPkwy from the north for those of us that would like to make one last visit to the place.

Benzee

ScreenBear

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 04/8/06 7:00 AM (permalink)
              Benzee,
              See my post of 3.5.06 in this thread for directions to Father & Son.
              The Bear

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 04/8/06 4:44 PM (permalink)
                Hey Bear ,
                Thanks for the help on directions , I may have to visit there sometime in the next few weeks .

Benzee

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 04/8/06 8:21 PM (permalink)
                  If you do, let me know. Maybe I can meet you there. It's 5 miles from me.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 04/13/06 6:21 AM (permalink)
                    There's a place on Lake Ave. in Colonia that serves a great Italian Hot Dog. It's called Mijo's Pizzeria and it's been around forever. Just recently I began eating their Italian Hot Dogs. I usually get these sandwiches from a place that specializes in them rather than a pizzeria because I like the pizza bread and thin sliced potatoes rather than a sub or hoagie roll and french fries or potato chunks, which is usually what you get at a pizzeria.

Mijo's is close to where I work, so when I'm in the mood for an Italian Hot Dog, it is one of my few choices. They do serve it on a sub roll, but the bread is good, and being served on a roll rather than pizza bread allows you to get everything (hot dog, potatoes and peppers) in one bite. I don't get onions on mine. They use Best's dogs as do almost all places. But these dogs are much bigger than the 12 or 10 to a lb dogs used elsewhere. Charlies uses 8 to a lb. Mijo's are even bigger. 6 or 7 to a lb. There are plenty of peppers, and the potatoes are small and blend in perfectly. As much as I like potatoes, peppers, and bread, these should compliment the hot dogs rather than overwhelm them. Everything is sauteed in a frying pan and tastes great. Perfect ratio of hot dog, bread, potatoes, and peppers. And it's a big sandwich for only $4.50. Everywhere else it's close to $6.00 for a double. With smaller dogs. Tommy's is now $7.00. Definitely give Mijo's a try.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 04/13/06 3:51 PM (permalink)
                      Sounds like a stop for the next tour.

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 04/20/06 7:33 AM (permalink)
                        I made my first visit to WindMill in Long Branch last weekend. I went to the one that looks like a windmill.

How could I have visited Sandy Hook so many times since I moved to Jersey 15 years ago and never made it here for a hot dog? I will be visiting Max's and the WindMill frequently this summer.

I ordered two dogs - kraut dog and a chili dog. I did not realize how big these dogs were. Chili was perfect for a hot dog. I could really taste the extra flavor the grilling produces in the kraut dog. And a great brown mustard to boot.

Akavar

Akavar

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/21/06 11:18 AM (permalink)
                          Thanks to John Fox I tried Mijo's in Colonia yesterday. The double Italian dog was outstanding. I have tried Jimmy Buff's several times and found that everything was just too soft for me.

Mijo's deep fries the potatoes until they are crisp. The peppers and onions are sauteed in a skillet with a little oregano. The dogs have a nice crispness - not a Rutt's Hut Ripper crisp, but a nice crispness to stand up to the potatoes.

All this is served in a sub roll that is itself firm enough to stand up to the double dogs and filling inside. If you eat a few of the potatoes when you first get the sandwich you will be able to easily shut the roll and eat it like a true sandwich.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/28/06 4:26 PM (permalink)
                            This is a thanks to John for the write up on Mijo's in Colonia. Maybe the best Italian Hot dog I've ever had!

I can eat almost anything, but I find Jimmy Buff's and Jerry's too greasy for me. Mijo's has (as you said) just about a perfect proportion of Dog, bread, peppers, onions, and potatoes. And I don't mind the sub roll at all, in fact I prefer it. It absorbs more of the grease and holds up better. And what a bargain at $ 4.50.

The pizza looked good too, maybe next time. Thanks for the tip, I would have never known about Mijo's. Only 6.3 miles from my house, but I've never been down that stretch of Lake avenue before. ---Ken

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/28/06 7:53 PM (permalink)
                              I'm glad that you guys enjoyed Mijo's. I'm not too big on Italian Hot Dogs from pizzerias, but I do try them (something new) from time to time. The first time I tried Mijos's, I liked the dog, but I didn't go in with an open mind because of the sub roll. Since Mijo's is fairly close to where I work, I go there sometimes when I'm craving an Italian Hot Dog. The more I've had it, the more I've liked it. I'm getting used to the sub roll. And the dogs are definitely bigger. I brought one home yesterday after work and made the owner drag the package of dogs from the back. They are 6 to a lb. I told him not to change a thing.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 04/28/06 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Arutha5

I've a bad couple of weeks when it comes to dog, first I went to Hot Dog Heaven in Emerson and they had ok Chilli dogs. Today I went to Galloping Hill, and after all the hype it was a major let down. The dogs were waterery the Chilli was to. About the only bright spot over the last six weeks in Tommy's south on Route 130 in North Brunswick?? Please help I need a good dog place with good Chilli. HELP!

I'm not a big fan of the Galloping Hill Inn's chili. But their dogs are great. I don't see how you get watery. Their dogs are an excellent blend of beef and pork. As for chili, it depends on what type you like. Spicy? Thick? Thin and flavored with nutmeg and cloves? Father & Son is great for spicy chili. It's as hot as I can stand, but my tolerance is admittedly low. JJ's in Newark is about the spiciest/hottest in Jersey. Kuhn's in Connecticut is even spicier. The chili at Amazing Hot Dog in Verona (soon to reopen) is excellent. Maybe my favorite. The Hot Grill has a great thin clovey North Jersey style chili. And the thicker meatier chili at Manny's, Texas Weiner ll, Red Tower, and the other Plainfield area Texas Weiner joints are very good.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 04/29/06 6:16 AM (permalink)
                                  Oh, I almost forgot about the dogs fdrom Stewart's. Years ago they grilled Thumann's. Last time I was there was about 2 or 3 years ago, and they used the same Thumann's grillers, but switched to deep frying. I'll have to check them out soon.

Arutha5

• Total Posts: 8
                                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/2/06 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                    When I said the dogs were watery they had no snap to them, got to have that snap. Anyway I got my fix in Jersey City @ Boulvard Drinks...Best Dogs in the state, as far as I'm concerned.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/2/06 9:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Arutha5,

The dogs at Galloping Hill Inn have a collagen casing, and in my experience, do have a good snap. Maybe you got a bad sample? I'd try again. Out of all of the hot dog places I've been to, I've probably had Galloping Hill hot dogs more than any other. Part of the reason is because it is the closest hot dog joint to where I live. Right down the street! And the dogs are great. People who like the German style of frankfurter (milder, and easier on the spices) love this dog. And because I love it too, I go there a lot. In my opinion, it's better than the Windmill and Max's; 2 places serving grilled dogs in this style.

I've also been to Boulevard Drinks many times. A completely different type of dog. Bold, spicy, garlicky, in the kosher style. These dogs are Sabrett all beef; natural casing, 12 to a lb. Same dog that is used at Papaya King and Gray's Papaya in New York City, with the exception that the New York dogs are a little bigger; 10 to a lb. Katz's also serves this dog, but it is bigger still, 8 to a lb. Boulevard Drinks is one of the best dogs in Jersey. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a pain to park around there.

If you like these dogs; let me suggest Jerry's in Elizabeth and Syd's in Union. They are the only 2 all beef dogs that I would rate ahead of Boulevard Drinks. Nathan's at the Menlo Park Mall is excellent as well. An 8 to a lb natural casing dog that is grilled perfectly. This is one Nathan's location that is reliable. They have a special Friday to Monday. Three dogs for $3.33. You can't beat that! For all beef dogs, my favorites are Syd's, Jerry's, Boulevard Drinks, Nathan's (Menlo Park location), and Father & Son.

On another note, I found out that the Jimmy Buff's in Irvington will close. Their last day will be May 21.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/8/06 9:45 PM (permalink)
                                        Having a rare day off, I got the chance to check out 2 new hot dog joints. One is new in the real sense (open 1 month) and the other is new to me.

Top Dog is the name of a small hot dog restaurant in Metuchen that opened last month. Located on New Street, you can get there by taking Rt 27 to Main St. and making the first right onto New St. Rt 27 is right off exit 131 on the Parkway. Top Dog serves hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches, wraps, and specialty desserts such as fried twinkies and fried oreos. The hot dogs are Hatfield Angus Beef dogs that are prepared on a griddle. This particular dog is only available at Restaurant Depot and a few independant distributors. Made in Pa., it isn't even sold there. It was made for the Jersey/N.Y. market to compete with Sabrett. It is a kosher style dog, but with a big meaty, smoky flavor. My wife and son like this dog better than any other. I think it's good also, but I do prefer other dogs. This particular dog is very good boiled. I've had it at a truck (Nagle's) in Sayreville. It's good if you prefer a very rich smoky flavor. I enjoyed my dog with just mustard. I had the chili in a small cup. Home made, and ok. Nothing special. All in all a good dog for the price $1.59 for a plain 8 to a lb natural casing grilled dog. A good stop if you're in the area. I was told that they would be open Sunday. I even called on Saturday just to make sure. But when I went, they were closed. So, since I was so close to the Menlo Park Mall, I went to Nathan's. Three dogs for $3.33, but now you do have to buy fries to get this deal. The dogs were excellent. Better than what I had from Top Dog today. But you may not agree. My wife and son wouldn't.

I also went to 9th Ave. and 14th St. in Newark. This adress was where the very first Italian Hot Dog was sold. The original location of Jimmy Buff's. Buff's move out in the 70's I believe, and the location was bought by Lou Bancala, who continued to sell Italian Hot Dogs the same way as his predecessor. It was called Lou's Italian Hot Dogs. I drove there about 2 years ago to find out that they were closed. There was a fire, and I thought they were closed for good. I found out that they opened this past December. Lou is still the owner, but now the place is called World's First Italian Hot Dog, Inc. It is the place where the first Italian Hot Dog in N.J. was sold.

They have the same slanted steel pit that is used by Jimmy Buff's. Pee Dee Vee in Bloomfield also uses this. Everything is similar to Jimmy Buff's. I think the hot dogs are bigger; maybe 8 to a lb as opposed to 10. The potatoes are similar in size (sliced fairly thin) but cooked to a browner color with slightly less grease. The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't offer peppers, which to me is an important part of this sandwich. A good, authentic Italian Hot Dog, with the exception of the peppers being left out. Located in a really bad section of Newark. I would be careful going there. Open Mon-Sat 10 to 6. They also offer sausage sandwiches.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/9/06 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                          sonjaab,

I'm sure that the price of peppers is why they aren't available. Awhile back 2 of the Jimmy Buff's locations stopped using them. I posted about it here and on other forums. The owner of Jimmy Buff's actually posted about the price of peppers going up and stated that his 2 locations (West Orange and East Hanover) still used them. His uncle's locations (Scotch Plains and Irvington) were the 2 that stopped using them. Supporters of these locations said that because of the price increase, I should be willing to either pay more for the peppers, or do without them. I strongly disagree. Other places selling Italian Hot Dogs didn't eliminate the peppers or raise their price. I know people in the business, and their biggest cost is overhead. It's fairly cheap to make an Italian Hot Dog yourself at home. I do it from time to time. And because I know what I like, I actually prefer mine. But I don't like cleaning my deep fryer and doing the work involved. So most of the time I buy them. And to me, peppers are an important ingredient in an Italian Hot Dog. They should absorb the cost like the other places do. The Irvington location started using peppers again (maybe after people like me began complaining) but then stopped. The last few times I was there, they didn't have them. So I just go elsewhere. Can you imagine a pizzeria refusing to put cheese on a pizza because the price went up?

vocal

• Total Posts: 20
                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/14/06 4:10 PM (permalink)
                                            Congrats to Mr. Fox who is the team leader of the Star Ledger Hot Dog SWAT team this summer. John maybe you should start a future thread about where you and the team will be heading this summer. No surprise to all of us on here that you got the gig. Nice shot of you in the costume eating a Syds dog by the way. Looking forward to the tour.

markolenski

• Total Posts: 307
                                              RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/14/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                              John I agree with your take on the peppers. When I owned my Seven Eleven we had a period of time that Tomatoes went to nearly $8 per pound. I sold over 150 grinders a day. Most places charged extra for them or raised their prices. I kept my prices the same and put up a sign telling my customers that I appreciated their business and I would adsorb the increase since it is cyclical and prices will go back down My customers really appreciated it.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/14/06 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by vocal

Congrats to Mr. Fox who is the team leader of the Star Ledger Hot Dog SWAT team this summer. John maybe you should start a future thread about where you and the team will be heading this summer. No surprise to all of us on here that you got the gig. Nice shot of you in the costume eating a Syds dog by the way. Looking forward to the tour.

The Munchmobile SWAT DOG Team will be hitting between 3-5 places every week for the rest of the season. It's supposed to be secret, so I won't be able to reveal where we will be going. If the people who run and operate these hot dog restaurants knew when we will be coming, they would be prepared to perhaps provide service (and quantity) above and beyond what they would normally provide to the general public on an average day. Sort of like how restaurant reviewers try to go incognito so as to get a true indication of the restaurant's normal experience. For example, I know of a few places that freeze their leftover bread (for Italian Hot Dogs). If they knew we were coming, they would make sure that everything would be fresh and better than what they would normally serve.

I can tell you that the articles will be in the paper on Friday; both for the regular Munchmobile series as well as the Swat Dog Team. I'm really looking forward to this. We will be reviewing approximately 55-70 hot dog joints.

Rumor has it that another regular poster on Roadfood has been chosen as a member of the Swat Dog Team.

You wouldn't believe the abuse I took at work for dressing up in that costume.

arthurwsmith

• Total Posts: 3
                                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 05/16/06 11:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  I am returning to New Jersey this week for a trip down nostalgia lane. High on my list is the Galloping Hill Inn. I am true hot dog connoisseur, but I certainly tip my hat to John Fox whose knowledge amazes me. I was fortunate enough to brought up in Roselle Park, a stone's throw from Five Points. Eating there from roughly 1955 through 1976, when I moved to Central Pa. then to FL.I used to be "counter-buddies" with Frank, the son, who knew me well from my extensive patronage. The place was also known as "Peterson's," as much or more than "Five Points." I loved their hot dogs dearly, but about five years ago I passed through on vacation and felt they went down a notch. Now I know why, thanks to this forum.

However, the purpose of this missive is to ask if anyone remembers the true king of hot dogs, Hap's & Kaps on Westfield Avenue in Roselle Park? These were the greatest hot dogs I've ever had, I can remember the flavor 50 years later! These dogs, which sold for 12 cents, were thin. Perhaps 3/4" diameter, and they always had the snap of being grilled long enough. They flew off the griddle at lunch time when the high school kids came in and pretty much moved briskly all the time. But being so thin, if they overstayed their welcome on the griddle (and a group were always there, just in case)they became hard on one side, anywhere from a little hard to maybe an 1/8" deep. Even they tasted great! The best by far--does anyone else remember them?

And how about "Walt's" in Linden on the main highway--was it US? They were excellent hot dogs--they are long closed--and probably forgotten. Also, on the Jersey Shore, in Manasquan or Seaside Heights I believe, was a place called GeeGee's with some excellent dogs.

Here in Florida for the last 25+ years, I've searched far and wide for great hot dogs. There used to be a place in Miami called "Coney Island Franks" which easily could have been transplanted from NJ or NY. Gone now. Nathan's ran some free standing places(and still does). I know of one in Boca Raton back of City Place.

There is a place in St. Petersburg, George's Meat Market Inc
                                                  4611 Haines Rd N, that sells (or at least did sell) Dubuque Hot Dogs, right from Iowa beef country--but now I just read Dubuque Meats went belly up in the 80's. Again, there wa a great place called LaVerne's near me in Hobe Sound FL that "imported" Shickhaus Hot Dogs weekly. They were life sustaining. But she retired.

So now I'm stuck with Miami Subs, serving Nathan's--which they apparently bought. They have a number of outlets here in FL, and the hot dogs are good as long as you order them well-done. Otherwise they may have no snap.

As far as I'm concerned, Mel's in Tampa sucks. How can any NJ boy eat a Chicago hot dog?

I'll be glad to hear if anyone has discovered any great FL hot dog joints. And if anyone remembers the spots I mentioned. PS, aren't there some great hot dog place in New York (that don't serve Sabrett's)? Can anyone give me a place or two to try, please? Thanks.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 05/17/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    arthurwsmith,

Welcome back to New Jersey! While here, you must also try Syd's. Galloping Hill Inn is still referred to as Peterson's by people who remember it when it was called that. In fact, I have to correct my wife when I hear her giving directions to our home. She always says to make the first left past Peterson's. To someone not familiar with the area, they would be looking forever for Peterson's since it hasn't been on the buiding in years. I've never had the dogs prior to the new owners taking over, but was told it is based on the Gaiser's recipe, but now made by Grote & Weigel. The rolls are now made by Pechters rather than Zimmermans.

Never heard of Zap's & Kaps, but I have heard of Walts. They are long gone but far from forgotten. They used an all beef Haydu dog that they cooked on a griddle. What brand of dog was used at Zap's & Kaps?

Nathan's are good if you get the natural casing dogs and if they are prepared right. Slowly on the griddle.

In New York, the Brooklyn Diner serves a huge dog made by Golden D. Most places use Sabrett. I believe the 2nd Ave Deli uses Empire National kosher dogs. You can also find Hebrew National at Fine & Shapiro. Crif Dogs serve a deep fried Thumann's dog. Hallo Berlin uses a quality beef and pork dog from Karl Ehmer's.

JoColl,

Glad that you can enjoy the beef/pork version of the Sabrett dog that is used at the Windmill. The new issue of New Jersey Monthly has an article about Max's and the Windmill.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 06/1/06 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                                      I had overheard a conversation a while ago when someone mentioned a new place was to be opening that would be serving Chicago style hot dogs. I didn't give it much thought because there are places that attempt to serve what they call a Chicago dog. But they use pork hot dogs and throw a mixture of junk that hardly resembles what is made in Chicago.

Today I happenned to be driving on St. Georges Ave. in Linden and passed by a place called J's Beef, Chicago Style Italian Beef & Sausage. I turned around and went back. When I went in, I found a large Vienna Beef sign. I had a chance to speak with Jack, the owner, and found out that he is serving an authentic Chicago style hot dog complete with Vienna beef hot dogs, onions, neon relish, yellow mustard, tomato wedges, sport peppers, and celery salt on a poppy seed bun. The dogs (skinlkess and 6 to a lb) relish, sport peppers, and celery salt are all from Chicago. Dogs, poppy seed buns, and relish are directly from Vienna Beef. I forget if the sports peppers and celery salt are.

Italian Beef is also served, but it is made on premise rather than shipped in from Vienna. Soon J's will be selling Vienna Beef Dogs to the public. This is the same Vienna Beef Dogs sold in Chicago and not the different recipe dog sold at Targets.

Jack was kind enough to give me a few Viennas to sample at home. While I was there, I had a Chicago dog and a plain Vienna with just mustard. The dogs come steamed or char grilled. I got mine steamed. The Chicago dog was minus onions as I hate them. I don't really like relish (except for Rutt's Hut unique relish) but I had it on the dog. I still am not crazy about so many toppings on a dog, but I liked the contrast between hot meat and cool vegetables. The bun was excellent; hot and steamed also. Sports peppers were very hot. Yellow mustard, a few small tomato wedges and the neon green relish. According to Jack, this is the only authentic Chicago dog in the area including Shake Shack in N.Y. For me it may be an aquired taste, but I think many will like it. He has only been open for 2 1/2 weeks but business has been great so far. The Vienna beef dog with mustard was ok, but a little mild. It had a sort of subtle spicing with a mild spice which lingered in the background that I couldn't identify. I know this dog is made from bull meat and brisket.

Jack is from Chicago and grew up with Vienna. It's all he eats although he has sampled other dogs from Jersey. He thinks Sabrett is too spicy while Thumann's (mostly pork) is too bland.

J's Beef 902 W. St. Georges Ave. Linden, N.J. 908-587-0105

Akavar

• Location: Flemington, NJ
                                                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 06/1/06 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        John Fox -

Thanks for the find. I left Chicago 35 years ago and have only found one place up near Ossinning NY that made a Chicago style dog. That place only stayed in business a year. I will check this place out soon.

Now - I am going to get very picky. I do not think it is a true Chicago dog if it is char grilled. You might be able to grill the Polish saudage, but not the dogs. Did they have Chicago Polish sausages? They are unique and not like Kilebasa at all.

Also, a true Chicago dog is placed diagonally across one corner of a large piece of butcher paper. Then a handful of fries are placed to the inside of the dog, towards the center of the paper. Then the whole thing is rolled up in the paper and handed to the customer. I can remember buying them for thirty five cents when I was working aa a lifeguard on the lakefront.

arthurwsmith

• Total Posts: 3
                                                          • Location: stuart, FL
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 06/2/06 1:54 AM (permalink)
                                                          TO JOHN FOX, JOCOLL--Thanks for the replies to my posting. I did make it to NJ laast week for several days after visiting Philadelphia. I took the full Epicurean tour, starting with Pat's Cheesesteaks followed with a slice of pizza for dessert in South Philly's Italian Market. For the sake of my friends and family, I was forced to enjoy some exellent restaurant meals, which diverted me from the hot dogs and pizza I craved.

My wife, trying to help, spotted an ad for a place called "Frankly, my dear..." a new hot dog spot in Flemington NJ. Clever name, but being very wary after all these years, I called them on my cell phone to ask if they served natural casing hot dogs. They said yes, so I decided to give it a shot. Fair warning to others. Don't. These horrible dogs should have been put down. They were dense, poorly prepared and worse tasting. I'm sure they had rolled to their deaths the day before on a stainless steel cooker somewhere at Newark airport.

However, I did behold a miracle that made up for it. In Manasquan, a small Jersey shore village known in my day mainly for drunken weekends at The Osprey Bar, that very bar was celebrating its 60th Anniversary,1946-2006. But that's not the miracle.

Gee Gees, a "(blacktop)boardwalk" fast food spot and home to ski ball and video game fans, was still whipping up the same great dogs after 35 years away! Yes,they were still serving beautifully grilled 12" Schickhuas franks after all this time.

Though not really open until the next day, the Friday launch of Memorial Day Weekend, the young chef/manager made me a dog on demand. It was fantastic. I was estatic and downright gushing in my praise of the hot dog and the fact that something in my life had stayed the same after 35 years. Gee Gees was a shrine. A true miracle--but the scope of it all was quite uncomprehendible to the chef who was probably 10 years shy of 35 himself!

On the flip side, I had been looking forward to Spirito's (Elizabeth)pizza for years, but the edge was taken off my hunger by my late afternoon hot dog indulgence. The next day, I was going to head right to White Castle for lunch, skipping the Galloping Hill Inn after my disappointing experience probably eight years ago. But at the last minute, I turned into the familiar parking lot, to give The Inn another shot. Two miracles in two days, beyond belief! The hot dogs, rolls, mustard and kraut produced a symphony of taste beyond words. The taste buds rang out with pure joy! The Greatest was Champ again. In my ledger of life, Galloping Hill Inn regained its full status as the mightiest living hot dog purveyor.

Even my wife said they were really good.

I wish I had time to visit all the places I see recommended in this on-going forum. Has anyone ever come up with a guide book that incoporates all the info?

vocal

• Total Posts: 20
                                                            • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 06/2/06 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                                            100 dogs and counting
                                                            Friday, June 02, 2006
                                                            BY PETER GENOVESE
                                                            Star-Ledger Staff
                                                            Three short trips and our S.W.A.T. Dog Team has already made quick work of 100-plus dogs (think what they could do during a whole day of dogs!). We started close to the Big Dog's home; first stop was JJ's truck on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. The chili "had a nice kick to it," according to Kamal Brown. But the dog itself, a Sabrett's all-beef, was so-so.

The next stop was the venerable Dickie Dee's, also in Newark. Give your order to Izzy Tursini, who has worked the counter there for 45 years. "Everything" means an Italian hot dog with a boatload of peppers, onions and potatoes, shoveled into what Jeff Greene called "excellent" pizza bread.

Then it was on to Amazing Hot Dog in Verona, which serves up a supersized all-beef deep-fried Best's dog. John Fox called the chili "one of the best" he's ever had; others were less enthusiastic. Good fries, double-fried and nicely greasy.

Our next trip included Jimmy Buff's in West Orange, another hot dog landmark. Consensus: better Italian dogs than Dickie Dee's. "Simply an awesome greasy hot dog," Brown raved. The peppers were not as tasty as Dickie Dee's, though.

We hit Frankie D's Dog House in Nutley, where Greene, our resident mustard expert, concluded: "Outstanding mustard, average dog, below-average roll."

Love onions? Visit Galloping Hill Inn at Five Points in Union. Natalie Pisarcik called the sweet, crisp onions "fabulous." Crisp, distinctive snap to the Grote & Weigel dog.

We ended our second excursion at Jerry's in Elizabeth. "I could eat a million of these," Fox gushed of the snappy all-beef Best's franks.

Hey, John, save your appetite; you're going to need it the rest of the summer!

Next week: The S.W.A.T. Dog team visits classic hot dog joints in Clifton and Paterson.

Our S.W.A.T. team

Their name: the S.W.A.T. Dog Team. Their mission: Find the best hot dog in New Jersey. Their identities: secret until now. Here are the members of our blue-ribbon, mustard-and-kraut-covered panel. Read their frank reports each week this summer; the winner will be announced over the Labor Day weekend.

Kamal Brown, 33, Flanders

Newark fireman, Engine 18, Truck 9, a k a "The Hill"; he's also one of the firehouse cooks. Father of three. Asked for his hobbies, he replied, "All I do is work." A regular at Newark-area hot dog joints such as Dickie Dee's and Jimmy Buff's.

John Fox, 46, Union

No one knows more about Jersey hot dogs than this guy; he credits the Munchmobile series for "sparking" his interest -- dare we say obsession? -- in hot dogs. Known as hotdoglover on various forums. Yes, he does have a life; he's a mailman in Union during the day. "This will be a most enjoyable summer for me!"

Joanne Friend, 64, Union

School bus driver. Rides a Harley; started up a conversation with a biker in Rutt's Hut abut the intricacies of -- well, only they know what they were talking about. Plays guitar and sings "a little bit."

Mike Goldberger, 59, Westfield

His self-description: "While it would be much more romantic to say that I was once a roustabout, broke broncs in Texas, worked up on the high steel and even spent one season as a wrench for a Formula 1 race team, it wouldn't be true. Alas, I am a mild-mannered film critic whose reviews appear in several weekly newspapers in New Jersey and Vermont."

Jeff Greene, 60, East Hanover

Once ate eight hot dogs on one roll at hot dog joint in Bayonne. Has downed dogs across the country, from Coney Island to Los Angeles. "It should be noted that no self-respecting aficionado would even consider putting ketchup or cheese or some similar condiment on one of these tender little devils."

Christine Kilcoyne Hirsch, 45, Belleville

Account manager for an insurance brokerage firm. Immediately endeared herself to the rest of the team by making up customized S.W.A.T. Dog Team personal logs for each member. Grew up in Newark; remembers going to the House-o-Weenies as a kid. "I have always said that if I had to choose one food to sustain me for the rest of my days, it would be hot dogs."

Natalie Pisarcik, 29, Boonton

Thanks her dad for her passion for hot dogs. Childhood trips to Stokes State Forest always included stops at Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville; trips to Devils games meant a dog at Rutt's Hut. When she would visit friends in New England, they would always take her to their local hot dog joints to see what she thought. "A New Jersey hot dog and me -- perfect together."

© 2006 The Star Ledger
                                                            © 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 67, messages 151 to 180 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com