The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 67, messages 211 to 240 of 1989
John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/26/06 6:18 AM (permalink)
Last night we visited:

Big Daddy's, Little Falls
Pappy's Diner, Totowa
McCobbs, Wayne
Falls View, Pequannock

TnGuy,

Coincidentally, the day you bring up Pappy's is the day we make a trip there! First time for me. When we are done for the summer, I will give descriptions and comments about all of the places that we visited. But you were right when you said that I would enjoy this place. I did very much. I would say that it compares very favorably with Libby's and The Hot Grill, my 2 favorite North Jersey, or Hot Texas Weiner joints as they're called. I will be going back so I can sample the dogs again. I might even like the chili a little better than Hot Gill and Libby's. The dog was a Thumann's for deep frying, which was left in the oil for a sufficient amount of time, unlike many of the Passaic County joints that use this dog and don't cook it enough. The sauce is zesty, with a flavor that is both spicy and slightly sweet. Easily the best dog tonight and far better than Falls View. Pappy's definitely exceeded my expectations.

TnGuy

• Total Posts: 71
    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/26/06 12:08 PM (permalink)
    Benzee - Thanks for the invite. I'd truly love to be able to participate in the Dog Tour but the main stumbling block is that I happen to live approximately 750 miles south of New Jersey in Tennessee. I envy you folks having access to such differing and wonderful dog joints. And nowadays I have a much greater appreciation for all of the things that I took for granted while growing up there. Maybe one of these days a trip north will happen to coincide with one of your events.

John - Yes, that is really something that you ended up making your first visit there the same day. And I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed their dogs, too. A few weeks back my wife and I had to make a trip up that way for a family matter, and we decided to do a quick dog run on the one afternoon that we had the chance (we also made sure to make a quick trip to Corrado's Family Market in Clifton to stock up on alot of the ethnic offerings that aren't available in our area). First, we hit Rutt's for a dog with their special relish. Next, we were going to go to Libby's but, sadly, they happened to be closed for vacation that particular day. Finally, we ended up at Pappy's - where I hadn't had one of their dogs in what seems like ages. And what a dog! Pure nirvana for me! The sauce tasted soooooooooooooo good. I asked if they still sold some separately - to which I was told a quart is but a mere purchase away! So, here in my freezer in TN now sits some delicious "all-the-way" sauce, to be savored over time. Thanks to your help in earlier posts, I am now able to get the Thumann's deep friers shipped to me (via a local bagel shop) and can now replicate a Pappy's all-the-way dog (including some Gold's Deli Mustard via Corrado's).

I look forward to hearing of your next visit there. And thanks again for all the help in my Texas-Weiner-in-Tennessee quest.

TnGuy

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/26/06 8:16 PM (permalink)
      <<Add to the list:
      Charlies Pool Room, Alpha
      Hot Rod's, Glen Gardner
      Sal's Dog House, Clark
      Petey's Weenies, Colonia
      Stewart's Root Beer, Rahway (we added this at my suggestion, thanks to vocal mentioning it here)
      Munce's, Rahway
      Dee's Hut, Roselle Park
      Tommy's, Carteret
      Mr. Dees, Sayreville
      Top Dog, Metuchen
      Lou's (World's First Original Italian Hot Dog), Newark
      Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs, Kenilworth
      Manny's Texas Weiners, Union
      J&G Texas Weiners, Dunellen
      Red Tower ll, North Plainfield.>>

Cool! Looking forward to the Report. Sals, Petey's, Munce's and Top Dog are new ones on me. Only time I was ever in Red Tower Two was several years ago. While waiting to place our order my wife and I noticed the cook leaning over the grill with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. We walked out. We still joke about it every time we pass there. --Ken

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 07/27/06 6:12 AM (permalink)
        TnGuy,

A funny thing happenned while we were at Pappy's. We found out upon leaving (from the Thumann's distributor who happenned to be there) that the older woman who took our order thought that we were there trying to get information from Pappy's in order to open our own place. This woman, who I believe may be the owner, told me that they didn't sell their chili sauce. She said that there are plenty of places that do, and that I don't need theirs! She also yelled at one of our women who was taking notes. She thought that she was copying down all the prices. Well, it's good to know that I can buy their chili in the future if I want.

Ken,

You didn't miss much at Red Tower ll. Standard Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank that is served at all of the Plainfield area places. The chili wasn't that good. It had a sort of harsh mustardy taste. And the workers there weren't on the ball. Better off at any of the other places that serve this type of dog.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/2/06 6:21 AM (permalink)
          Last night, we went to:

The Hot Dog House, Carlstadt
          Hot Dog Heaven, Emerson
          Stewart's Root Beer, Kearney

next up, New York!

Jimstillman

• Total Posts: 2
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/9/06 10:39 PM (permalink)
            I have a question that seems very basic and a comment. Last year, we visited the NJ shore from Florida and purchased 25 # of Schickhaus hot dogs from Wenning's Wholesale Meats in Long Branch. The company swears that it sells to Max's. The hot dogs had little taste and really were too bland for me and my family. In the past we had Thumann's 1/4 # hot dogs special ordered from the distributor in the Tampa area. They were wonderful! They had been described as being beef/pork with a "natural casing". When I spoke to the company last week, I was told that the 1/4 # hot dog now had a sheep casing. The lady said that the hot dog would be "crunchier". I ordered 25 pounds but now am wondering, is the "natural casing" the same as "sheep casing". What's the difference?

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/10/06 6:22 AM (permalink)
              Natural casing can be from a sheep, pig, lamb, etc. The regular 6 to a lb Thumann's beef and pork dog (white and blue package) has a lamb casing, which is more tender than a sheep casing. Apparently, the 1/4 lb did as well, but Thumann's has switched to a crunchier sheep casing for the 1/4 pounder. A hog, or pig casing is the toughest or crunchiest.

Jimstillman

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/10/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
                Thank you for the education! I really appreciate your help. I'll let everyone know hoew the latest Thumann product makes it to the Tampa area.

Thumann's has written me that their hot dogs are available at BJ Wholesale Club, recently opened in Tampa; I haven't checked it out yet.

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/12/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
                  anyone remember haydu hot dogs from newark- they were used at many stewarts outlets a long time ago- wonder if they are still being made somewhere?

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/12/06 10:12 PM (permalink)
                    Hosseini,
                    It is my understanding that the Stewart's in Kearny, New Jersey, uses a Haydu pork/beef frank, which they deep-fry. I found it well-prepared but uneventful.

Although Old Heidelburg in Keansburg, New Jersey, doesn't divulge which hot dog they serve, John Fox, if I'm not mistaken, believes they, too, use the pork/beef Haydu. At this venue, once a great place for a frank, the old dog just ain't what it used to be.
                    The Bear

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/13/06 8:03 AM (permalink)
                      Haydu's are still being made. There is at least one Foodtown that I know of that sells them. That would be the Foodtown on Inman Ave. in Colonia. All beef and beef/pork versions.

Years ago the Old Heidelburg used the all beef version. And it was very good. Walt's in Linden also used the beef dog. Now, the Heidelburg uses the beef/pork dog but prepares it in an ocean of oil on a griddle. The result is one of the worst franks I've had all summer. The Stewart's in Kearny also uses this dog, but deep fries it. As ScreeBear stated, this dog is well prepared, but ordinary.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/13/06 8:06 AM (permalink)
                        Last Sunday we (the S.W.A.T. Dog Team) had a change of plans. Instead of going to New York, we went to a few spots in southern and central Jersey.

G&G, Red Bank
                        Joyce's Place, Brick
                        Jersey Joe's, Port Monmouth
                        Jersey Style Hot Dogs, Old Bridge

TnGuy

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/13/06 7:47 PM (permalink)
                          John:

I looked at this past Friday's Star Ledger online and didn't see any S.W.A.T. dog report. Did I just happen to miss it? Or did they skip publishing it for one week?

Also, is it the same group of folks going out every week? Do you all travel together on the same day each week (e.g. - every Saturday)? How long (time-wise) is the "team" going to continue their "mission"?

I've very much enjoyed following along with your tastings and travels. And continue to enjoy reading your insights here, too.

TnGuy

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/14/06 7:52 PM (permalink)
                            TnGuy,

I've noticed that the Ledger online doesn't always publish the S.W.A.T. dog report. It is the same group of people every week, but we go out different days depending on when we can all get together. We are still going strong and should wrap everything up by the end of the month. There will be a big article around Labor Day summarizing our adventures. We will also pick our favorites.

You must be psychic. Lately when you post, I've either gone to Pappy's or thought about it. I went with my wife yesterday to see if I would enjoy it as much as when I did when we went with the team. I did. Great chili sauce! Maybe my favorite Texas Weiner. The dogs are fried sufficiently, and the sauce is sweet, spicy, peppery, zesty. The same woman (who is also the owner) waited on us. After buying some chili, I revealed who I was and told her to check out this Friday's Ledger for our favorable reviews. She apologized profusely for the way she treated us last time. She didn't know if we were health inspectors, potential competitors, or what. But I'm glad that I was able to get the chili to enjoy at home. A great place and one I'll be going back to.

TnGuy

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/15/06 8:47 AM (permalink)
                              John:

Great to hear that you and your wife went and that you got to enjoy Pappy's again as much as the first go-round. Also good to hear that you were able to take home some of their delicious sauce, too!

I've know John (the owner) and his wife since way back when. And what you described as happening on your first trip comes as no surprise. They obviously go into "full-protection-mode" when a perceived threat to the business appears. It's good to hear that you told them who you were and what that trip was about, though. I'm sure they'll enjoy the mention in the upcoming article.

Totowa being the town I grew up in, Pappy's became the dog (and sauce) that I have used to measure all others against (though I certainly could toss the original Falls View and Libby's into that category, too). What a tremendous pleasure it was for me to be able to relive some of that again recently.

One question about the sauce, though. On our recent trip back to NJ we purchased a quart of Pappy's sauce, froze it overnight and took it back to Tennessee in a cooler. It now resides here in our freezer. My wife and I have had the distinct pleasure of enjoying it a couple of times since. One thing I've noticed, though, is that as we have (partially) re-heated it in the microwave, it tends to separate somewhat - with the thinner parts rising to the top and the more solid parts sinking to the bottom. Thus, when it refreezes we therefore have a non-uniform mix. As an alternative I was thinking that we could re-heat the entire amount over a cooktop (perhaps a double-boiler set-up?), mix it thoroughly, let it cool, then re-freeze it in small, single-use containers (or zip-locks). Also, I hate to keep re-heating and re-freezing the entire quart every time we want some, as it tends to get more and more dry with each use. How have you handled the storing and re-using sauces you've purchased?

TnGuy

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/15/06 6:53 PM (permalink)
                                I've always been told that it is bad to refreeze chili sauce. When I buy some, I refrigerate it and use whenever. If I still have it after 2 weeks (which is most of the time) I put it in the freezer. When I use it, I chip off with a spoon or knife what I'm going to use. Then I defrost it and heat it in the microwave.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/15/06 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                  Last Saturday I went to Texas Weiner (the original) in downtown Plainfield for the first time. I'm not exactly sure why it took me 20 years of living in NJ to get there, and for the last 9 years it's been within 5 miles of my house. But the good review by the Munch team told me it was time to get over there.

It was sure worth the wait. I moved it to the top of my Union/Somerset County Texas Weiner list. I also love places that have been around for 80 years, another plus. Terrific griddled dog, spicy but not overpowering sauce. Just perfect, and, 4 dogs to go cost me $ 9.25, which I believe is somewhat less than the other Texas Weiner places. It won't be 20 years before I go back. --Ken

HungryMike

• Total Posts: 27
                                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/21/06 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                    I must concur with John re: NJ Hotdogs Anyone remember Herman's HotDogs on the old Route 1 circle in Woodbridge? They were footlongs and great?
                                    My dad and I used to run into Herman at Freehold Raceway all the time.
                                    THere also was a Chock full of nuts restaurant close to there: Very Dr Seuss looking.. ANyone remeber?

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/21/06 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                      HungryMike,

I remember Herman's, but was really young at the time. In fact, it was probably before I even liked hot dogs. My father used to go and bring me with him. I just got a soda. But I've wondered what dogs they used since I remember my father loved them. They were footlongs, and I believed they were prepared on a griddle. I think I read somewhere that they were Zion brand, which I've never had. Do you remember what they used?

Arutha5

• Total Posts: 8
                                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 08/22/06 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                        Does anyone remember a hotdog place on Central Ave and Hutton St. in Jersey City. Its been gone for over 20 years, but they made great dogs. I was hoping someone might remember's the name?

HungryMike

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/23/06 8:10 AM (permalink)
                                          Hi John, Herman's footlongs were in natural casing...possibly a thumann's but not sureI remeber they had a cartoon pictur of a chubby guy with the caption "eat 5 get the 6th free" at that age I could barely eat 2.

HungryMike

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/23/06 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                            I Just remebered another place of my youth (70's): An Italian Hotdog place in Iselin on Oaktree Road roughly across from the Iselin Theatre. Remeber it in a yellow building I think they used that red pushcart brand. Anyone remeber the name? and are red Pushcarts still around?

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 08/23/06 9:59 AM (permalink)
                                              That place was JoJo's. They moved years ago to Toms River. We were there this summer. Very tiny dogs (12 to a lb). They use Best brand for pushcart dogs and the Italian style.

HungryMike

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 08/24/06 12:55 PM (permalink)
                                                What a coincidence I love JoJo's!!! I thought they tasted familiar. I ate at the Jimmy Buff's In North Plainfield a few months ago very dissapointed too greasy for me Anybody else have any Itialian Hotdog places ti mention?

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/27/06 7:48 AM (permalink)
                                                  Friday the S.W.A.T. Dog Team visited:

John's Texas Weiners, Newark
                                                  Karl Ehmer's, Hillsdale
                                                  Hank's Franks, Lodi
                                                  Danny's Dogs, Garfield
                                                  Teddy's, Paterson
                                                  Hot Dog Hut, Wayne
                                                  Circle Grill, Netcong
                                                  Big D's Dogs, Dover
                                                  Stewart's, Dover

Today, New York City!

RandellButts

• Total Posts: 16
                                                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 08/27/06 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    Has anyone ever tried a dog from Davey Dogs by lake hopatcong in N.J.
                                                    They used to have great chili.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/28/06 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      I've been to Davy's Dogs a few times. They serve 12 to a lb Sabrett's, which are too small in my opinion. You can get the dogs boiled, deep fried, or grilled, (griddled). They're pretty tasty grilled, but as I said, much too small. They use Castleberry's chili, which is decent, with a tomatoey taste, but not homemade.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/28/06 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                                        Yesterday, the S.W.A.T. Dog Team made a trip to New York. We visited:

Nathan's, Coney Island
                                                        Katz's, Manhattan
                                                        Crif Dogs, Manhattan
                                                        Papaya King, Manhattan
                                                        Gray's Papaya, Manhattan

loucrew

• Total Posts: 30
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/28/06 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          Hey John, how was Joyces Place in Brick. It is right down the street from me. Is it any good? Should I give it a try?

John Fox

• Location: Union, NJ
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 08/28/06 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                                            Loucrew,

Joyce's was definitely one of the better places we've gone to that serves a dirty water dog. So many places serve the Sabrett dog in water. Since it is the same dog served the same way, there isn't much that sets these places apart. Condiments and toppings are one, but I'm not big on these, preferring most of the time to enjoy my dog with mustard only. But three things I look for in a dirty water dog. One is size. Too many places serve a tiny 12 to a lb dog. In my opinion, this is much too small. I believe that they are cheating the customer. Joints like Big Daddy's in Little Falls charge $1.75 to $1.85 for one of these coctail franks. Same as other guys that serve a bigger dog. A dirty water dog should come at least 10 to a lb; preferably 8. But for Sabrett, the casing is better on a 10, so I prefer this. 8's are a little mushy on a Sabrett for some reason.

Secondly I prefer a natural casing to a skinless dog. Many vendors sell the skinless because it is cheaper for them to purchase. Thirdly, a dog should be hot enough temperature wise. Many dogs were warm or outright cold. And many lose their snap if they're in the water too long. That was the case with the dogs at Petridis when we went. There were quite a few others. Petey's Weenies in Colonia also.

Joyce's served a 10 to a lb, natural casing dog that was hot, tasty, and fresh. They also serve a larger Nathan's deep fried dog that was tasty as well. By all means, give them a try.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 67, messages 211 to 240 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com