Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
  • Reward points : 0
Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Wed, 09/17/08 10:23 PM
Just saw this show repeated on the Travel Channel tonight and again, the commentator stated they serve 10 tons of beef a week...Food Paradise "Steak" was the name of the show. I posted on this once before and everyone did a double take; 10 tons a week?

Some other things I noticed in watching this again..A battery of upright broilers..Seemed to be at least 6 of them. They produce 800 degrees..They put the meat on the broiler with just salt and pepper and then they remove it at a speficied doneness, put some clarified butter on a broiling dish, put the steak on it, slice it up just as it will eventually arrive at the table, and throw it back under the broiler to finish it.

They demand that the waiters pick up their orders within minutes so it can arrive at the customer's table still sizzling hot. They will not reveal the length of time they age their meat...They favor Black Angus and Hereford steers..they do not like Texas Longhorn steers.

They do not recommend putting their steak sauce on their steak. They recommend ordering the bacon and breaking it up in pieces and putting it on the tomato and onion salad with the sauce.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Thu, 09/18/08 11:46 AM
That's 3,333 pounds per day, if they are open six days per week. Seems like a lot. Of course, it may be the total of both restaurants and the mail-order business.

firecommander3565
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Thu, 09/18/08 11:48 AM
Kinda hurts my colon just to think about that much BEEF !

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Thu, 09/18/08 11:52 AM
mmmmm.... tooo much meat.... aghhh (drool)

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Thu, 09/18/08 1:59 PM
Moving over 3k lbs/day? Sure sounds like a lot of Bull to me.

It's a shame Clara Peller isn't alive.

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Thu, 09/18/08 4:12 PM
Could that be for both of Luger's locations? That is a crap load of beef..

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Fri, 09/19/08 12:31 AM
Maybe that 10 tons a week is untrimmed weight, for the restaurants in Brooklyn and Great Neck and the mail order business.

Baah Ben
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Fri, 09/19/08 3:05 AM
David & Don - That would sure seem to make the most sense. All I can tell you is I've now seen the show twice. I, too, thought it was unbeleivable the first time I heard it. And, I'd also agree it's probably including all that fat covering that eventually gets thrown away.

They take you into the aging room and you see the incredible amount of fat and waste that eventually are trimmed off. Remember, these are porterhouse steaks they're serving and the waste is far greater than if they were just aging strip steaks. If you get to see the special, you just might think that 10 tons of gross weight per week for their two restaurants and their mail order business is about right.

NYC2SoCal
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Sat, 09/20/08 12:53 AM
Hmmm.. I remember watching that episode and doing some calculations. Conservative calculations here:

Brooklyn...
What do they have there? 40 tables? Lets say an average of 3 people per table. Thats 120 per rotation. For dinner, thats 5 rotations. So dinner time, the numbers come out to 600 people. Its just over 1LB per person of beef after the aging and the trimming. Since the water lost in aging is probably roughly 30% add the trimming, it comes out to almost 2 pounds per person. That comes out to 1200LBS for dinner. Lets say lunch is only half that (I've only been there for lunch I think 3 times).. That comes out to about a ton a day for Lugers (Brooklyn Location). They're open 7 days a week, so that's 7 tons based on my conservative calculations.

I think the 10 tons a week is their Brooklyn location only.

jaylhorner
  • Total Posts : 427
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Sat, 09/20/08 11:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYC2SoCal

Hmmm.. I remember watching that episode and doing some calculations. Conservative calculations here:

Brooklyn...
What do they have there? 40 tables? Lets say an average of 3 people per table. Thats 120 per rotation. For dinner, thats 5 rotations. So dinner time, the numbers come out to 600 people. Its just over 1LB per person of beef after the aging and the trimming. Since the water lost in aging is probably roughly 30% add the trimming, it comes out to almost 2 pounds per person. That comes out to 1200LBS for dinner. Lets say lunch is only half that (I've only been there for lunch I think 3 times).. That comes out to about a ton a day for Lugers (Brooklyn Location). They're open 7 days a week, so that's 7 tons based on my conservative calculations.

I think the 10 tons a week is their Brooklyn location only.

5 turns seems a lot... constantly full..less than 1 hour for dinner.

Baah Ben
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Sat, 09/20/08 12:04 PM
Who is going to argue NYC/SOCAl's analysis. A beautiful job..Seriously. I need an new accountant..Please provide your address. I don't care if you are licensed, a CPA, a college graduate..WHATEVER. NYC2SOCAL - You are my new accountant!

Look the info came from those two wonderful women, who own the place. It is too outlandish not to be credible. Look at them. Do you think they'd lie? Seriously. I don't. I'm down with the 10 tons a week. And, it just might be for one location. But, in any case, it easily works for two plus the mail order.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Sat, 09/20/08 2:52 PM
Don't forget, their steaks are individually cut from huge side of beef. They probably included those sides in figuring their weight.

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 792
RE: Serving 10 Tons A Week - Peter Luger's - Sun, 09/21/08 10:07 PM
Still, there is no way to quantify the experience. It has been over 30 years and it still defines steak to me