Vincent's - Pittsburgh

Filet Mignon
2008/09/20 08:39:43
I was looking at the pizza review of DeLorenzo's in Trenton. I can't believe I never tried this place while working in Trenton for two years, but....

The pizza looks fantastic and they use traditional deck ovens. It got me to thinking about Vincent's, which is out in one of the suburbs of Pittsburgh - Greentree, actually. It is a bit of a ride from the downtown area. Vincent's deck ovens were so old (Vulcans), but they did the job. Smoke filled everywhere as he almost purnt his pizzas to get a nice char on them. He was also a smoker!

I remember I would try to sell him some new ones every time I went there...Good luck. A real old school Italian guy, who I think was originally from NY..Isn't everyone?

Vincent's also put(s)huge chunks of fenal laced fresh Italian sausage on his pizzas. I have no idea if Vincent is still running the actual show..When I was in Pittsburgh, you could expect to find him there every night. He liked to talk.

I just read a review from a year ago. Vincent at one time tried to franchise his name ..It went poorly. As far as I know, the only existing store is the one he started. Anyone been there lately with an update? That's the reason for the post. Wondering how Vincent is doing...I jsut see someone has posted about the best pizza places and he's still on it..I am not surprised.

I've always thought his pizza was one of the best I've ever had, but it was different. Terrific ingredients (the sausage really made the pizza) but neither thick nor thin..Still, it was a very heavy pizza and two slices were usually all you could eat. Normally, I do not like a heavy pie, but his was really wonderful. That makes it far different than what's being described with DeLorenzo's pie. But there is the common thread is the sausage.