insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum

Double Cheeseburger
2008/09/21 22:18:06
One of the most addicting snack foods I've ever eaten in my life is the Indian wafer known as "papadum" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papadum ). ... actually, one of the most addicting foods period.

I make this ultra-thin chip-like snack not like you get it in the Indian restaurant where it is typically baked, but instead I fry it.

Put some oil in a skillet, and fry the large wafers, which resemble a paper-thin tortilla (though papadum are made with lentil and chick pea flour), on each side for only about 20 seconds. Be quick with the tongs because they burn very quickly indeed. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on each as you stack them up.

A bag of them (similar in appearance to a bag of tortillas) when fried will make a pile of papad wafers probably 2 feet high. All this for between 99 cents and a buck and a quarter. They are available at Indian grocers ... or if you can't find an Indian grocer, ask your local Indian restaurant where you can purchase them.
They come in different flavors such as red pepper, black pepper, cumin, garlic and others.

A tall stack of them, served warm, served with dips and chutneys to put on top and a ice-cold beer can't be beat.

These are insanely addictive - and a huge hit with company.

Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/01 18:16:04
i'm with you, Sonny Funzio...papadums are delicious! homemade are the best, but the ones i found at Whole Foods in the snack section were pretty good too - i think they were called "Bajiis", and they came in mango (spicy), tandoori (medium spice) and yogurt dill (mild) flavor. (nice if you don't feel like firing up the stove.) i wasn't impressed with the yoguyrt/dill, but the tandoori and mango flavors were quite tasty...i also love the prepared snacks from the indian grocery that are like the indian version of chex mix - they often have rice crackers, nuts, lentils, vermicelli, and corn flakes mixed together in them with variations of spice mixtures - delicious!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/01 18:53:30
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

One of the most addicting snack foods I've ever eaten in my life is the Indian wafer known as "papadum" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papadum ). ... actually, one of the most addicting foods period.

I make this ultra-thin chip-like snack not like you get it in the Indian restaurant where it is typically baked, but instead I fry it.

Put some oil in a skillet, and fry the large wafers, which resemble a paper-thin tortilla (though papadum are made with lentil and chick pea flour), on each side for only about 20 seconds. Be quick with the tongs because they burn very quickly indeed. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on each as you stack them up.

A bag of them (similar in appearance to a bag of tortillas) when fried will make a pile of papad wafers probably 2 feet high. All this for between 99 cents and a buck and a quarter. They are available at Indian grocers ... or if you can't find an Indian grocer, ask your local Indian restaurant where you can purchase them.
They come in different flavors such as red pepper, black pepper, cumin, garlic and others.

A tall stack of them, served warm, served with dips and chutneys to put on top and a ice-cold beer can't be beat.

These are insanely addictive - and a huge hit with company.

Your post was a tease. Please tell me there is a way to get these in a bag I can rip open!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/01 18:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by Sneetch

i'm with you, Sonny Funzio...papadums are delicious! homemade are the best, but the ones i found at Whole Foods in the snack section were pretty good too - i think they were called "Bajiis", and they came in mango (spicy), tandoori (medium spice) and yogurt dill (mild) flavor. (nice if you don't feel like firing up the stove.) i wasn't impressed with the yoguyrt/dill, but the tandoori and mango flavors were quite tasty...i also love the prepared snacks from the indian grocery that are like the indian version of chex mix - they often have rice crackers, nuts, lentils, vermicelli, and corn flakes mixed together in them with variations of spice mixtures - delicious!

Thanks! Mrs. Metro hits Whole Foods once a week. I'll add this to her list.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/02 13:19:53
quote:
Originally posted by Sneetch

Yup, indian groceries have a lot of interesting food. Particularly some of the breads (naan etc). Also the best place to find 25lb bags of rice (a good buy in lean times at around $19) and much better prices on spices, especially curry powder, than at at regular grocery store.

Sneetch, how did the ready-to-eat Bajiis compare to the papadum that you would cook for yourself? Were they as thin and crispy?
Those flavors do sound good.
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/02 14:44:04
To me...... alll Indian Food is addicting. Love IT !
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum 2008/10/03 12:26:10
Sonny - the bagged snacks were pretty thin and crispy, but really couldn't touch a freshly made papadam. they are described on the bag as papadums, but are more like thin pita crisps or potato chips...they're good in a pinch, however and tasty enough...