Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami!

Filet Mignon
2008/09/23 01:05:15
Sept. 23rd, 2008
Today's Roadfood "review of the day" is for the Famous 4th St. Deli in Philly.
I, too, really enjoy their homemade pastrami! (almost as good as the Carnegie in NYC, and I'm a VERY tough pastrami critic!!)
(most pastrami I encounter does NOT measure up!)
Although I find that their thick rye bread makes the sandwich tough to eat!

I wish the DATES of the actual visits were put into these Roadfood reviews. IMO, it gives it even more merit.

For instance, I just found out last week that Russ Cowan now owns that Famous 4th St. Deli in Philly.... (Russ is the "deli flipper" of the Kibbutz deli fame) (and more recently, he was the short term owner of Mr. Bill's Coney Island Deli in Winslow, NJ where I just ate at on Sept. 15th.

The current Mr. Bills owner , Joe Radano, is the one who told me that Russ just bought the Famous 4th St. Deli, that he went to go help them out, and they really needed him to clean the place up...
(so what the heck, he bought it!)

So we'll see how things go there.... I know I enjoyed it when I was last there earlier in the year... Good luck, Russ..continued success
he used to also own the short-lived Kibbutz deli in the resort town of Ocean City, NJ......(tough location there, as it was only open seasonally)

Good pastami in Philly is NOT an oxymoron!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 02:51:28
Lucky Philly!!

But where's the love in Florida?
Frankman
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 05:02:23
Ellen, what is a deli flipper?
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 06:51:05
Here is the review link, so folks can follow this thread after today:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=5996
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 07:51:56
Miami Don..........that is a great idea. I believe that you are the first to think to do this. Thanks!
acer2x
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 08:37:48
A "deli flipper" is an experienced deli operator who opens a new deli or takes over an existing deli, operates it for a year or two and then sells it. Sometimes he holds paper(a promissory note from the buyer) and regains possession of the deli if the new owner fails to make payments. This is what happened to Famous 4th Street.

Russ Cowan also opened a place called Pastrami & Things in an office building in downtown Philly. This is where I was introduced to him and his pastrami. He also did a passable Chicago dog there. Here's a review of Famous 4th Street from 2005 after he bought it:

www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=9659
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 09:07:11
That's what I call a pastrami sandwich. A pet peave of mine is just laying in 2 pounds of pastrami between two slices of white bread and calling it a sandwich. If I wanted to go buy a load of deli meat, I'd go to the butcher.

Sometimes more is just more, it's not better.
CheeseWit
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 09:30:31
quote:
Originally posted by acer2x

A "deli flipper" is an experienced deli operator who opens a new deli or takes over an existing deli, operates it for a year or two and then sells it. Sometimes he holds paper(a promissory note from the buyer) and regains possession of the deli if the new owner fails to make payments. This is what happened to Famous 4th Street.

Russ Cowan also opened a place called Pastrami & Things in an office building in downtown Philly. This is where I was introduced to him and his pastrami. He also did a passable Chicago dog there. Here's a review of Famous 4th Street from 2005 after he bought it:

www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=9659

Thanks for the link...I was going to correct Ellen by telling her that Russ bought Famous 4th Street a few years ago, not just recently.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 21:38:28
All right.
This is well reasoned, well stated, and good to know.
What i expect from Roadfood
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 21:44:39
As was indicated, Russ bought Famous Fourth Street a few years ago. It's his habit to start these delis and then sell them (I guess to people who work for him, but I'm not sure about that) after they are firmly established. He did that with Fourth Street, but when some sort of problem arose more recently with the later owners, Russ agreed to return and rescue the place. While Famous Fourth Street has been very well known locally for many years, the quality of the food, especially the deli sandwiches, was nowhere near what it's been since Russ took it over.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 21:52:14
IMHO Harolds NY Deli in Edison still has the best pastrami I have ever had...where quality & quantity meet at the top of the bell shaped curve.
4th St. does have some incredible offerings...but there is just something about Harolds that does it for me.
Trust me though...I would never pass up a 4th street...I wish Yankee Candle would come out with a pastrami candle.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 23:08:38
Great article link from Philadelphia Weekly paper, acer2X...
and I appreciate the correction on just when Russ took over the place...
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/23 23:12:26
quote:
Originally posted by wmceaton

IMHO Harolds NY Deli in Edison still has the best pastrami

I love Harold's, too, but the Carnegie is still my #1 (even the Carnegie is not perfect, though.....I've had mostly succulent sandwiches there, but occasionally I'll get one that's "off".)
(when that happens I usually get more to "take out" on the way out of there, (to compare).

However, I still need to get to Montreal and Toronto and try the "smoked meat". Now THAT would be a great idea for a Roadfood tour! Get your Passports ready everyone!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/09/24 01:28:49
Can't go wrong at the Carnegie Ellen, I agree with you. At one time I wavered and thought Katz's was my favorite. But, I happen to like my pastrami sliced on a machine. Also, the last time I was at Katz's, I had to return my sandwich; too lean; too dry. I also think the sandwich is bigger at the Carnegie.

I'd love to try that smoked meat! I think there's famous ones in both Montreal and Quebec City. Why wouldn't they call it pastrami, though? Maybe it is not exactly like pastrami?

sk bob
RE: Roadfood review of the day ! Pastrami! 2008/10/08 18:03:14
only if that Dunderdaks in the Volusia Mall would serve a sandwich like that,I would frequent it.
thier "double meat" isn't half that size.