Sliders reborn

Big Kahuna Kooks
  • Total Posts : 490
  • Reward points : 0
Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:19 PM
I've noticed the re-emergence of "sliders" on menus of all kinds. I had them at a 5 star hotel made with Kobe beef-homemade ketchup and at a bunch of independent mom & pops and even at Chili's. Whats up...is this a retro thing or just a marketing fad? BKK

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:23 PM
Hooters has them now. So do a lot of bars in my area.

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:25 PM
There is only one real slider...good ole white castle!!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:26 PM
It probably got started following the release of the film, Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1791
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:26 PM
I think a marketing fad. The Tap House, a west coast chain (160 beers on tap! Wewt!) had an amazing buffalo slider on the menu about 2 years ago. Ground buffalo, crisped up Prosciutto, crisp cold lettuce. Was wonderful. Unfortunately now off the menu.

I've seen them now all over the place on menu's. It's entered to popular lexicon and no longer is meaningful as any single establishments "signature" burger.

Big Kahuna Kooks
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:30 PM
Right on. The slider I had at Chili's was a regular patty cooked and then cut into quarters...bunch of cheaters. At least the others were made with mini patties.

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:37 PM
I have to agree with Californiaguy, there's really only one true slider, and that's a White Castle (okay, Krystal's is maybe a second). All these other joints are doing 'mini burgers', and juicing them up with deep fried hoitytoity, sloppy sauce and 'grilled whatevers'.
Sorry, unless it's that small patty with the holes in it, properly seasoned and steam grilled on a bed of onions, it ain't no slider.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

It probably got started following the release of the film, Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle.

I think that this is the correct answer, though I was eating them in Nola way before the film came out. There was a Krystal's at the end of Bourbon St and the corner of Canal.
I'm sure that this news will make more folks decide that they need to visit the city before the next hurricane.

mark

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 2:46 PM
Bennigans is the only place, besides white castle, that I can remember serving sliders before this new sliders fad hit. They called them burger bites though. No Krystal around me, but I know they did too.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 3:12 PM
I think I've asked this before, not sure if I got an answer. Having only Krystals in my area, what is the difference between Krystal and White Castle????

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 3:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I think I've asked this before, not sure if I got an answer. Having only Krystals in my area, what is the difference between Krystal and White Castle????

GOOD QUESTION. I've never been to a Krystals though. We need someone who is familiar with both.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4531
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 3:45 PM
I think WC's are moister and less "bready" the Krystals.

I can drive by a Krystals and can't drive by a WC to this day.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4531
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 3:49 PM
The first, "best" answer here is about the most concise I could find:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080109185151AAPDdVq

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

The first, "best" answer here is about the most concise I could find:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080109185151AAPDdVq

There are a couple of slight problems with that Best Answer: I always get my Castles with mustard and no pickles, and White Castle is not just in the Midwest. White Castle restaurants are in New York, New Jersey, Misouri, Kentucky and Tennessee, too.

Rusty246
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:16 PM
quote:

"Moister" as in steamed as they both are(?), so the best I can gather is K has mustard WC doesn't. I thought it was something "major".

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:19 PM
quote:

quote:

"Moister" as in steamed as they both are(?), so the best I can gather is K has mustard WC doesn't. I thought it was something "major".

The alleged, and incorrect, lack of mustard aside, there's more. Krystals make me ill. Castles don't.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:21 PM
I think the resurgence has a lot to do with the Denny's chain from an article that I read some time around 2000. About 1998 or so, Denny's added a nostalgic Miniburger entree to their menu. Their's was made using much smaller,grill,toasted dinner rolls then the standard slider size, topped with two standard,overlapped patties,real grilled onion and mustard and cut into individual burgers prior to serving. The burgers were plated with onion rings. These weren't real sliders, but it developed the interest that many other chains took notice of from what I gather. If standard slider/dinner rolls can be described as 8/package(2ea. of square of 4 rolls), these rolls would be the equivelent of 12/pkg (2 ea. of 6 rolls). I also hear that they have been dropped off the menu in some areas for being too time intensive recently

Rusty246
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

The alleged, and incorrect, lack of mustard aside, there's more. Krystals make me ill. Castles don't.

Then maybe there's a difference in the meat also. Beats me, I get the general idea though.

MGWerks
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 4:34 PM
I sure wish they'd plan a few down this way. Both Steak & Shake and Krystal's are dribbling in, but no WC.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 09/23/08 8:34 PM
I saw frozen Bubba Burgers "Sliders" at Lowes Foods in SC.

gostillerz
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Sliders reborn - Sat, 10/4/08 7:51 PM
quote:

I think the biggest difference is the bread. Krystal's seem to be more like a soft, almost undercooked dinner roll, whereas White Castle are the usual burger bun but maybe baked a little longer. Standard toppings a White Castle vary. In Canton, it's just onion and pickle.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/8/08 5:47 PM
jeepguy, haven't seen Bubba sliders here in Daytona, original Bubbas are great I always buy em.

A2Mich
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 10/21/08 10:29 PM
OK..first post here. According to the respective websites, both White Castle and Krystal have a location in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Trying to remember from when I lived in Florida, but I don't recall Krystals being steamed over the onions like WC. I thought that Krystals were simply fried on the flat top grill, but I could be wrong. I've found that for the most part, WC seem to be more moist (or greasy), and I feel that WCs taste better than Krystal, but that's my opinion. Here in Michigan, WCs come with onion and pickles only, though you can request mustard and ketchup, if you prefer. Though I normally like mustard and ketchup on a burger, adding either one to a WC slider is like sacrilege....I remember them in the Chicago area in the 70's with onion and pickle only, so like them the same way now, as a purist sort-of thing. Maybe if somebody is driving through Bowling Green, KY and gets REALLY hungry, maybe they could stop at Krystal and White Castle both and let us know the true difference.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6082
RE: Sliders reborn - Tue, 10/21/08 11:08 PM
Hey,A2Mich...welcome aboard....hope you enjoy Roadfood.com!!!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9574
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 1:15 AM
quote:

They come in different colored packages!

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 8:59 AM
I could die a happy man if I never see "trio of sliders" on another menu. Kobe sliders are a total waste..

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 9:11 AM
In Nashville, I have seen a White Castle/Churchs Chicken combo. Are they owned by the same company?

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 9:47 AM
Interesting setup but no, they're not.

Brad

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 10:07 AM
Now it seems all the chains are getting in on the "slider action" - Applebee's, Chili's, even Ruby Tuesday has "sliders"- but they offer nothing like a real slider. Come on- chicken, turkey and even salmon are not burger material - let alone a slider!
I only remember WC from when I lived in Daytona Beach (back in the day)but I do remember buying a sack or two back then- you could feed a small army with that many!
Now I make my own- and put them on potato rolls- those rolls are just the perfect size and , yes, I steam the small patties while they are sitting on grilled onions and place the buns on top of each one. My husband thinks they are quite good.

Big Kahuna Kooks
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/22/08 10:36 AM
Alton Brown deconstructed the slideer and did an excellent job of making them at home...it does require some prep and is not really one of those spur of the moment projects. He used an electric grill, rolled out ground beef onto a sheet pan and cut the squares from that. bkk

A2Mich
RE: Sliders reborn - Fri, 10/24/08 9:34 PM
As for the White Castle/Church's Chicken combo units, around the Detroit area, there are a large number of units that way. My guess is that it is simply a joint marketing venture to help reduce costs for both chains. The White Castle here in Ann Arbor is a WC only franchise, and was actually completely rebuilt a few years ago.

As for the post about remembering White Castle from living in Daytona Beach, I have to ask, when was that? I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1995 and from 2003 to 2007......I don't ever remember there being a WC anywhere in FLorida...only Krystal.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Sliders reborn - Fri, 10/24/08 9:44 PM
We had a special month long gamemenu at one place I worked. This was back in 82. One item was pan fried buffalo ssliders. Back in Denver in the 80s a number of place ran sliders as apps. Same as now in platters of 3 or more. It died for a bit and is coming back.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6224
RE: Sliders reborn - Fri, 10/24/08 9:52 PM
This thread needs photos! Here are some mini beef tenderloins at Jack O'Connor's Public House in Excelsior, MN.

BQ Matt
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/29/08 6:16 AM
For what it's worth, the "slider" trend started popping up in the restaurant trade magazines probably about 4 or 5 years ago. Usually they are made with more upscale ingredients, and bear little resemblance to the traditional White Castle type "slider".

My personal opinion is that this trend is on the downswing. Once everyone offers some sort of "slider" dish, the uniqueness is lost. White Castle and Krystal will still sell their products, but I think you'll see most of the major chains move away from the "slider" fad. I do think you will see a continuing of the trend to package multiple smaller "main" dishes for one price, like you've seen with places offering three types of "sliders" on one plate. I think many restaurant patrons like to try several different flavor profiles at one sitting, rather than stick to a standard meal format.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/29/08 7:50 AM
I agree that the "sliders" are probably a trend that will pass in most restaurants, especially as appetizers. Appetizers change like the wind. Think back to what was trendy last year, and it's changed this year. Re Krystal's, they only thing I notice different is that they have mustard and the bread is a little different. I like them both and when we drive to Florida we always stop for a sack in the middle of the night.

Andrea

fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Sliders reborn - Wed, 10/29/08 8:15 AM
I think sliders will be on many chain restaurant menus for years. They have gained in popularity like the wrap and panini did years ago. Both of those are still around. Of course there will only be one true slyder and it's white castle.

PopsDogHouse
  • Total Posts : 779
RE: Sliders reborn - Sat, 11/8/08 5:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A2Mich

As for the White Castle/Church's Chicken combo units, around the Detroit area, there are a large number of units that way. My guess is that it is simply a joint marketing venture to help reduce costs for both chains. The White Castle here in Ann Arbor is a WC only franchise, and was actually completely rebuilt a few years ago.

As for the post about remembering White Castle from living in Daytona Beach, I have to ask, when was that? I lived in Florida from 1980 to 1995 and from 2003 to 2007......I don't ever remember there being a WC anywhere in FLorida...only Krystal.

I lived in Fl. from 1966 until 1991. I don't recall ever seeing a WC either. Krystal, yes, but not WC. I do vaguely remember Royal Castle. My daddy use to take me there on Saturdays when I was a kid.

Big Kahuna Kooks
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 01/29/09 1:14 PM
I just had diiner at TGIFriday, the first time i had been there in over 5 years. The menu featured Guy Fieti and had Sliders all over the menu. They even had chicken parm sliders. I will say that that I was pleasntly surprised by the Slider Sampler I had. 4 sliders with cheddar & bacon. The patties were nicely crusted and the buns were of good quality. i mixed up a little A1-Mayo-Mustard concoction for dipping and went to town. On the down side their fried BBQ pork raviolis were way off the mark. they looked great, but tasted foul.  bkk

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 01/29/09 1:33 PM
Mustard on a White Castle burger?????????????     Horrible thought!!!!!!!

Big Kahuna Kooks
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 01/29/09 1:36 PM
These weren't official WC sliders. Just in name.

Rusty246
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 01/29/09 1:56 PM
A2Mich

OK..first post here. According to the respective websites, both White Castle and Krystal have a location in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Trying to remember from when I lived in Florida, but I don't recall Krystals being steamed over the onions like WC. I thought that Krystals were simply fried on the flat top grill, but I could be wrong. I've found that for the most part, WC seem to be more moist (or greasy), and I feel that WCs taste better than Krystal, but that's my opinion. Here in Michigan, WCs come with onion and pickles only, though you can request mustard and ketchup, if you prefer. Though I normally like mustard and ketchup on a burger, adding either one to a WC slider is like sacrilege....I remember them in the Chicago area in the 70's with onion and pickle only, so like them the same way now, as a purist sort-of thing. Maybe if somebody is driving through Bowling Green, KY and gets REALLY hungry, maybe they could stop at Krystal and White Castle both and let us know the true difference.

Krystals are steamed on the grill, that's why my boyfriend won't eat them, says they're too soggy.  They have onions, mustard and pickle.  I've never seen a WC down this way(another poster) and I 've lived here 40 some odd years, my Grandmother and other relatives lived in the Daytona Beaach area so I was there quit often, never saw one.  We did have a Royal Castle years ago here right off the I-75 and Williston Road exit, it's been gone for many years.

andy749
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Sliders reborn - Fri, 02/27/09 8:12 AM
A2Mich wrote:
================================

I lived in Miami in the early 60s and there was a WC a few miles from our house (N. Miami Bch.).
I believe there were several around town. Here's a pic of one.

Miami was full of Royal Castles. Their sliders were maybe a bit sweeter...real good though. Last I read Royal Castles are extinct...except for maybe 1 or 2.

Gumbo191
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Sliders reborn - Sat, 02/28/09 9:35 PM
A new burger place on Howell Mill road in Atlanta opened recently. Flip is a gourmet burger restaurant that features slider style burgers with many variations including the southern style which is a fried burger with pimento cheese, there is a Kobe beef burger, and many more. The menu was designed by former Top Chef contestant Richard Blaise.

Buckshot
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:Sliders reborn - Thu, 03/12/09 2:27 PM
I grew up eating Krystal burgers in East Tennessee. but I have had White Castles when in the northern states.  They're very similar, but I prefer Krystal burgers with mustard and pickles, which is standard.  Last year, I had a very unique slider in Sacramento, CA - it was at Guy Fieri's (he pronounces it "Fietti" on Food Network) restaurant, Tex Wasabi.  They were "southern style" pulled pork bbq with cole slaw served with fries.  They were quite good!

Buckshot

Michael Hoffman
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 03/12/09 3:26 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Mustard on a White Castle burger?????????????     Horrible thought!!!!!!!

I always order my Castles with mustard -- and no pickles.

swvadon
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Sliders reborn - Sun, 02/21/10 8:20 PM
I love sliders! I've eaten at both White Castle & Krystal's, and the differences are mostly minor, to me.

Now, when I grill burgers at home or in tailgating, I always make sliders. It just seems more fun to eat four little sliders, than one huge burger. Not to mention, they cook much quicker...

baughman
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Sliders reborn - Sat, 03/20/10 12:29 PM
having had both Wc and Krystals over the years. I would have to pick WC over Krystals. I believe its mostly in the bread. My wife says the same. Krystals seems to have way more bread to it. Also WC blends into a melted cloud when you take it out of the box. The bread is soft and moist. Like the rest of it.
   Does KRystal put there buns on the grill over the meat like WC? Krystals each time we get it, seems to add the meat to the buns with out steaming the bread.
   I find 99% of the places who added sliders as part of the last few years fad, are way behind any real slider place like WC or my favorite slider places. Crabills, and hickies.

IntelligentT82
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Sliders reborn - Thu, 03/25/10 6:22 PM
Matchbox Pizza in DC has some good sliders...loved the sliders...hated the pizza...wierd huh