NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers

Cheeseburger
2008/09/24 20:43:26
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09242008/entertainment/food/bliss_on_a_bun_130439.htm

NY Post review of Five Napkin Burger and a list of five'overdone" NYC burgers.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/24 21:11:05
I had read a few reviews that felt that Five Napkin was overrated , as well...
have'nt been there, (yet), but I DID finally try the CORNER BISTRO,
one of the "OVERDONE" places on that list. AGREED: the burger is "overrated"

the CORNER BISTRO, Jane St. Greenwich Village, NYC... Sept. 2008

I took the burger to go, and ate it on the sidewalk across the street...(it was about 10 pm, and I did'nt feel like going thru all the food server/table stuff..

I had previously read their burger was overrated, so I had to see for myself...it's all subjective, I know. But I feel like that NY Post reviewer said "that it's not much different than a burger one can make themselves at home, using good meat"..

Yes, the Corner Bistro meat was good and fresh, but the burger preparation (and condiments) were just not inspiring, IMO
What , no pickles?!? ( I had asked for them, but perhaps they don't have them in the first place)
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/24 21:55:19
From the Post article: "Tasty enough, it's not a dish you couldn't make yourself at home with supermarket meat."

What is Steve Cuozzo's point?

Give me some decent supermarket ground sirloin, a cast iron skillet, butter and a Thomas's English Muffin. I'll grill up a burger better than most restaurants and it will be a true medium rare and not over-cooked as happens far more times than not at restaurants.

I am not impressed with most gunked-up, trendy, restaurant hamburgers that I probably could but have no desire to make at home. I'm delighted when I chance upon a restaurant burger as good as home made.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/24 22:07:44
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

From the Post article: "Tasty enough, it's not a dish you couldn't make yourself at home with supermarket meat."

What is Steve Cuozzo's point?

I'm delighted when I chance upon a restaurant burger as good as home made.

Hi Holly,
I think his point is that he is looking for something DIFFERENT than what he can make at home in a saute pan .. (how I feel, too)
(I hear you about the nice, juicy PINK burger at home, Holly!
Something to be said for that) I enjoy making a pink one, too

I for one, enjoy eating out at burger places that have a real good CHARBROILED taste, as I CAN'T get that taste at home (due to condo association laws that restrict us from having BBQ grills!!)

And that's the same reason I go out for steaks; I particularly like the places that use that 1800 degree oven..

ellen

p.s. love your website, Holly..

signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/25 00:35:52
This one's opening in Baltimore in a few months. www.elevationburger.com
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/25 09:10:10
quote:
Originally posted by signman

This one's opening in Baltimore in a few months. www.elevationburger.com

Yet another reason for me to get down to Baltimore/Wash.DC again!
I'll have the elevation burger (double meat, double cheese) with extra "elevation sauce" on the side!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/25 13:25:36
Sounds and looks good to me.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: NY Post on Five Napkin Burger +5 overated brgers 2008/09/25 20:45:42
And just give me good ol' ground CHUCK, not with brisket mixed in, no foie gras, no fancy stuff, just a good meaty BEEFY taste