Great tamales in Colorado!!

Cheeseburger
2008/10/05 17:22:46
I just got back from a trip to Aspen, Colorado. I loved the Rockies, not so much Aspen( too rich & pretentious for my blood).

But, we went to Woody Creek Tavern for dinner one evening. Woody Creek is down valley from Aspen(but is actually north of Aspen, I was constanly confused about directions). Woody Creek Tavern was an Hunter Thompson hangout, lots of Polaroids on all the walls, photos of Hunter, John Denver, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Rumor has it this where Melanie Griffith caught Don Johnson with a nubile snow bunny &n they had a knockdown dragout shouting match.

When we walked in the waitress yelled at us to take any free table. They also had a pet cat that sat on the bar eating cat food out of a salsa dish!!! Very loud music from the 80's.

I love tamales and am frequently disappointed when I order them. The tamales at Woody Creek were the best ever. I had a pork tamale with red chili sauce and 1 veggie tamale with green chili sauce, wonderful mexican rice & perfectly cooked black beans. The tamales were tender and the pork & veggie fillings were so fresh and had tons of flavor. We all shared very good glaucamole & freshly deep fried corn chips.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Great tamales in Colorado!! 2008/10/05 21:53:40
Check out "Mexican" food in Southern CO. Remember that Northern NM (and probably parts of CO) were once Mexico!
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
RE: Great tamales in Colorado!! 2009/07/05 22:02:51
NYNM

Check out "Mexican" food in Southern CO. Remember that Northern NM (and probably parts of CO) were once Mexico!

As was California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and other portions of the western United States