Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

Change Page: < 123456789 | Showing page 9 of 9, messages 241 to 246 of 246
MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Wed, 07/3/13 9:47 AM (permalink)
Speaking of memories:  this year the Mighty Buccos are the first team in the majors to reach 50 wins.  They haven't done that since 1960.

I can still rattle off that line-up:  Virdon, Groat, Skinner, Stuart, Clemente, Burgess, Hoak, Mazeroski.  Law, Friend, & Vinegar Bend with Face waiting in the pen.  Hal Smith and Rocky Nelson platooning for Burgess and Stuart. 

Bob "the Gunner" Prince and Jim "the Possum" Woods calling the games of KDKA and endlessly playing this by Bennie Benack and His All-Star Band:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDrO4vkk3I .

May the team of my youth Raise the "Jolly Roger" in 2013!
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Wed, 07/3/13 9:49 AM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Thu, 07/4/13 8:09 PM (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Speaking of memories:  this year the Mighty Buccos are the first team in the majors to reach 50 wins.  They haven't done that since 1960.

I can still rattle off that line-up:  Virdon, Groat, Skinner, Stuart, Clemente, Burgess, Hoak, Mazeroski.  Law, Friend, & Vinegar Bend with Face waiting in the pen.  Hal Smith and Rocky Nelson platooning for Burgess and Stuart. 

Bob "the Gunner" Prince and Jim "the Possum" Woods calling the games of KDKA and endlessly playing this by Bennie Benack and His All-Star Band:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDrO4vkk3I .

WHATTA MEMORY!!!! I recognize all those names but if you had asked me to pull up the name of just one, I could not have done it. (Well, maybe Maz and Clemente & Smokey)
    As soon as I read them they came to me instantly & I remembered them. Thanks for the memories!
    Wasn't Rosie Rosewell still around at that time? "Open the Window Aunt Minnie, here she comes!"
    My Son has one of Smokey Burgess' bats that Smokey actually used.
    <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 07/4/13 8:17 PM>

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
      RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Thu, 07/4/13 10:33 PM (permalink)
      I was only 6 for the '60 series, so I remember those guys for their later play with the Bucs. But I can name the '71 team:

Hebner
      Hernandez/Alley
      Maz/Cash
      Robertson
      Willie
      Roberto
      Oliver
      Manny

Doc
      Blass
      Kison
      Moose
      Walker

Briles
      Giusti
      Grant

Also Stennet, Clines, Davalillo, May, Veale, Pagan.

MetroplexJim

RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Fri, 07/5/13 9:32 AM (permalink)
        Foodbme

MetroplexJim

WHATTA MEMORY!!!! I recognize all those names but if you had asked me to pull up the name of just one, I could not have done it. (Well, maybe Maz and Clemente & Smokey)
        As soon as I read them they came to me instantly & I remembered them. Thanks for the memories!
        Wasn't Rosie Rosewell still around at that time? "Open the Window Aunt Minnie, here she comes!"
        My Son has one of Smokey Burgess' bats that Smokey actually used.

I (b.1948) remember my mother saying "First Kiner, now Rosie; I'm going to quit listening".  Checking the net:  Kiner was traded in '53; Rosewell retired in '54 and passed in '55.

As I recall, I posted a url early in this thread that had a .wav file of Rosewell's signature call on it.

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
          RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Sat, 07/6/13 3:02 AM (permalink)
          Myself..never lived in Pittsburgh but sure did spent many of time there back in the late 80's and early 90's.

When I think of Pittsburgh I think of Kennywood Amusement park and the Potato Patch. Maybe its different now but they had the best fries. Interesting thing about Kennywood...sometimes they used to shoot their TV commercials at Virginia's Kings Dominion Amusement Park during their off season because ( 1 ) they needed to show the ride already completed while Kennywood is still building theirs..and ( 2 ) also the winter weather near Richmond, VA and Kings Dominion is usually a bit warmer than what Pittsburgh is experiencing at the same time.

Back in the mid 80's living in Northern Virginia I can remember picking up on the radio during the day KDKA, WTAE and some oldies station on AM 970 ( 3WS-AM ?? ) and Pittsburgh's 92.9 FM in Winchester. Today there is a country music station out of nearby Berkeley Springs, WV on 92.9 so no more Pittsburgh 92.9 there at least in Northern Virginia anyway also.KDKA doesn't come in as clear as it used to.
          <message edited by cathyftr on Sat, 07/6/13 3:04 AM>

MetroplexJim

RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved Sat, 07/6/13 11:20 AM (permalink)
            "Back in the day" the FCC made the "little, local" 5,000 watt AM stations go dark at sunset and the big city 50,000 watt "flamethrowers" ruled the night. 

I remember Bob Prince always talking about the large contingent of Bucs fans in North Carolina as KDKA carried there clear as a bell at night. 

In Pittsburgh I could always tune in WRVA (Richmond),  and WABC, WNBC, WCBS (NYC) - all had strong signals into Pittsburgh.  So did KMOX (St. Louis); when the Bucs had a day game or were off I really enjoyed Harry Caray & Jack Buck's Cardinals broadcasts. 

Vacationing in Florida we could also pick up WTOP (WDC).  With the FCC rules change, those days are gone. 

And - for better or worse - as the small stations could not afford to hire night-time talent, that rules change played an important role in the birth of syndicated "talk-radio".  
            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 07/6/13 11:31 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
              Change Page: < 123456789 | Showing page 9 of 9, messages 241 to 246 of 246

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com