Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2009/01/31 15:20:28
Have been re-thinking slaw dogs-didnt like them at first, but enjoyed the hell out of them in Raleiehh, N.C. recently.
post edited by annpeeples - 2009/01/31 15:32:52
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2009/01/31 15:26:00
Lee, I have my tastes. If it's food... I taste it... and keep tastin it... till I acquire a taste. I do have my favs though. :~)

The only thing on my "dont like" list was that green tamale stuff that comes outa a lobster. As I learned here at Roadfood... that stuff may now be dangerios to eat. So now my list is empty again. :~0

Captain, what is a Carolina dog? I'll try one!
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/02/01 12:18:51
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2009/01/31 16:31:39
nocarolina

Wabbit, I appreciate the kind words, and when I'm down in NC in the spring, I'll make a point of having an ATW NC dog. Will I find one at the Cook-Out chain? Their Carolina Q is a waste of time, but if they have dogs, I'll give 'em a try. If you check out the WV hot dog site, you'll see that fully-dressed NC dogs and WV dogs are virtually identical ( mustard, chili, slaw and onions. ) I've gotta try both. And, as I'm sure you've noticed, I LOVE Biscuitville! Sure wish we had them up here in Blago-land.... excuse me, FORMERLY Blago-land.

I stick to Shakes only at Cook Out, Skippy Dog on 4th st in Winston-Salem is fantastic! They make there own buns, the dogs are made to order on a flat top. At peak times the line is down the block. They do have indoor seating, or you can see all the great changes in down town with a awesome dog!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2009/02/17 08:46:10
ChiliDog

In May of 2004, "emsmom" responded to a thread I'd started about "Regional Favorites" and she introduced this California boy to the wonder that is cole slaw on a hot dog. Again, Thank you emsmom!

You are very welcome. We still like slaw dogs the best
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2009/02/17 08:49:02

I make mine with salad vinegar and a pinch of sugar if serving with fish, but with hot dogs- I use Dukes mayo
swvadon
Junior Burger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/21 18:34:06
Having grown up in NC & Va, I was of legal age before I knew that every part of the country didn't put slaw on their dogs.

A few things to note - the creamy based slaw is the only one I've seen used on dogs, and that is throughout Va, eastern Tennessee, NC, & SC. I've never seen vinegar based slaw used, and can't remember seeing mustard based slaw used, though it might have been. Also, the ordering mantra is typically to request a 'slaw dog' or a 'Carolina dog' - both of which mean the same - a dog in a bun, then a stripe of yellow mustard, followed by one tablespoon of diced white onions, then a tablespoon of (fairly runny) chili, finally topped by two tablespoons of cole slaw. As someone mentioned, if you change the order of the condiments, it doesn't work as well. The onions fall off if they're on top. The mustard needs to be on the dog.

When it is prepped, what you get is the beef taste, with a hint of the mustard spice, then the cool crunchy sweetness of the onions, topped by the warmth of the chili, complemented by the cool milky sweetness of the slaw. Beef, spice, crunchy sweet, warmth, coolness. A smorgasbord in your mouth.

FTR, Snoopy's in Raleigh was always good, Dude's in Christiansburg still is, but my current favorite is Skeeter's in Wytheville, Va. They serve your dogs on a plain white napkin, as you sit on the stool at the countertop. They've been around forever, and have served something over 4 million hot dogs. Probably five million by this time.

Skeeter's gives you two slaw dogs & free refills on your soft drink (soda or pop for you yankees), all for $5, tax included. Not to mention, you can go in, eat & be out of there in ten minutes, tops. That's a real working man's lunch.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/21 18:47:10
SW,

Good, informative description of the slaw dog construction procedure.

The Bear
Gumbo191
Hamburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/21 18:52:36

The Varsity in Atlanta has featured "Slaw Dogs" for many years only $2.22 for the Chili Slaw Dog (on the menu) and throw in some rings and a chili burger!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/21 19:01:26
Oh I wish I was back at Li'l Smoky's in Burnsville NC now....oh do I miss those footlongs with the works...I make them myself...but they're not the same....love that slaw on the chili!!!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 08:09:59
Spent part of my day on Saturday eating hot dogs/slaw dogs in West Virginia.  It seems the more north you go, the less likely you are to see slaw on a hot dog.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 09:48:23
When I lived in West Virginia cole slaw on a hot dog was something I just could not ever get used to.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 10:15:13
buffetbuster

Spent part of my day on Saturday eating hot dogs/slaw dogs in West Virginia.  It seems the more north you go, the less likely you are to see slaw on a hot dog.

I agree with the geographical theory. I happen to like the slaw dog combo, but know of few places in the north east where one has the option. Crif Dogs in NYC is one of the only places in the NY area I know of that offers this combo. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 10:38:42
Tony-
I was actually speaking of just West Virginia, but that might be true on a larger scale, also.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 10:44:32
buffetbuster

Tony-
I was actually speaking of just West Virginia, but that might be true on a larger scale, also.

ooooooooohhhhhh. Nevermind.

WVCitySlicker
Hamburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/22 12:55:00
A slaw dog is heaven if you have a good sauce/chili and fresh cole slaw, if I have doubts about the slaw I usually get mustard, sauce, onions and sometimes relish.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/27 13:03:45
When my  youngest son was moving last week I told him I would make dinner for his family & moving helpers.  I asked him what he wanted me to fix- chili, beef stew, vegetable soup(all his favorites), he said hot dogs with chili & slaw.   I also, made baked beans & macroni salad.

I fed about 10 that day, all native Hoosiers except my husband & I, all but one had slaw on their hot dogs.   I have been feeding our kids & all their Hoosier friends hot dogs with chili & slaw for goign on 35 years & now have plenty of converts.  Our "weenie roasts"  are legendary.

On a historical slaw dog note, I asked my mother (88 on March 7th) when she remembered 1st having slaw on a hot dog.  She said she can't remember when a "weenie roast" did not include chili & slaw on a hot dog. 
Russ Jackson
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/27 14:39:58
claracamille

When my  youngest son was moving last week I told him I would make dinner for his family & moving helpers.  I asked him what he wanted me to fix- chili, beef stew, vegetable soup(all his favorites), he said hot dogs with chili & slaw.   I also, made baked beans & macroni salad.

I fed about 10 that day, all native Hoosiers except my husband & I, all but one had slaw on their hot dogs.   I have been feeding our kids & all their Hoosier friends hot dogs with chili & slaw for goign on 35 years & now have plenty of converts.  Our "weenie roasts"  are legendary.

On a historical slaw dog note, I asked my mother (88 on March 7th) when she remembered 1st having slaw on a hot dog.  She said she can't remember when a "weenie roast" did not include chili & slaw on a hot dog. 

How about the recipes?...Russ

David_NYC
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/28 09:33:59
Its funny how you tend to stick with what you grew up eating. I don't care for creamy cole slaw on a hot dog. I grew up on hot dogs with sauerkraut. Both toppings start out with shredded cabbage. Go figure!
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/28 11:21:33
A lot of the folks who try and don't like slaw dogs are
probably using a slaw that doesn't compliment the dog.
NY deli slaw, for example, might not go well on a dog.

As noted above, a creamy, mayo slaw works better
for me than a vinegar style.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/28 12:44:57
David_NYC

Its funny how you tend to stick with what you grew up eating. I don't care for creamy cole slaw on a hot dog. I grew up on hot dogs with sauerkraut. Both toppings start out with shredded cabbage. Go figure!

I have to agree.  Give me the kraut!  Even though many folks have seen, heard of, and eaten dogs with slaw here in Alabama, I never heard of that combo until adulthood.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/02/28 12:55:51
claracamille

Gosh, Russ, I really don't have recipes, but I will give it a try.

Hot Dog Chili
1 1/2 lb ground chuck
1 medium onion, finely diced.
1 can Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili
1/3 bottle Heinz chili sauce

Brown ground chuck & onions, breaking up meat chunks,drain fat.   Add Castleberry's American Originals Hot Dog Chili, chili sauce, 1/2 can( Castleberry's American Originals Hot Dog Chili of water.  Bring to boil, then simmer until proper hot dog chili consistancy.
While the chili is simmering, I keep stirring & breaking up the chunks of meat until the chili is smooth. 

Baked Beans
2 large cans of original Bush Baked Beans
2/3 bottle of Heinz chili sauce
1 large onion, chopped-I like to see the onions pieces in the beans.
2/3 C light brown sugar
1/2 lb diced bacon
1 t yellow mustard
Preheat oven to 350.

Open & drain beans(very important, you don't want soupy beans), place in a 9x13 pan.  Stir in bacon, onions, chili sauce,mustard & brown sugar.   Put pan in oven, after 20 minutes, remove pan & stir gently( the brown sugar has begun to melt & you need to distribute it thoughout the beans).  Bake an additional 50-60 minutes until the beans have absorbed most of the liquid. 

Coleslaw

1 small head of cabbage, the greener the better.
mayo
cider vinegar
sugar
salt, pepper
Finely chop the cabbage, I use my food processor.  I don't have exact measurements for the slaw dressing, but I'll approximate-3/4 C mayo, 1/4 C sugar, 1T vinegar, salt, pepper.  Mix the mayo & sugar & let sit until the sugar is dissolved in the mayo, add the rest  to the cabbage & refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Macaroni Salad.
1 lb cooked macaroni
1/2 t salt
mayo
sugar
cider vinegar
sweet pickle juice
yellow mustard
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, finely diced
5-6 finely diced sweet gerkins
5 chopped hard boiled eggs
paprika

Drain & cool macaroni, make sure macaroni is completely drained. Add, celery, onion, pickles & salt .  Make dressing:  Again, I don't have exact measurements, but I'll make a guess- 3 C mayo, 1/2 c sugar, 3 T cider vinegar, 1T yellow mustard, 2 T pickle juice from pickle jar.  Mix mayo & sugar, let stand until sugar is dissolved, add rest, stir into macaroni, then fold in eggs, sprinkle with paprika.  Refrigerate at least 6 hours, the flavors need to meld.

Sorry for such a long entry, but I just don't have an exact recipe.  The recipes were passed down from my grandmother(born in 1896) to my mom & then to me.  Now I have passed them on to my children & grandchilden.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/01 06:47:24
will_work_4_bbq

David_NYC

I have to agree.  Give me the kraut!  Even though many folks have seen, heard of, and eaten dogs with slaw here in Alabama, I never heard of that combo until adulthood.

Growing up in NJ, I too only knew Kraut as a topping...but after a few summers in NC,I discovered the joys of a dog with slaw over chili and stuff....Now I'm a man of the world and can enjoy both......expand your pallet!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/01 07:39:11
leethebard-
A hot dog chain called Johnny's Lunch recently opened near me.  On their menu, they have a hot dog called Jersey slaw, which is an all beef hot dog with cole slaw and mustard.  Why they named a slaw dog after Jersey is a mystery to me.

http://www.johnnyslunch.com/index.php?act=menu
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/01 11:17:03
Don't get that either, Buffetbuster. Never saw coleslaw on a dog in New Jersey, or in your neck of the woods,either.
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/01 12:27:17
buffetbuster

BR-
Here is my slaw dog from Johnnie's Grill back in May.

Delicious!

I'd sure like to have a recipe for the slaw on that dog from Johnnies Grill. It's seems like back when Johnnies was in the little hole in the wall place the slaw was a brighter green but I'm not complaining. I'd take one of those any day. 
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/07 16:45:46
I really enjoyed my "Dixie Dog" at Super Duper Weenie while traveling in connecticut. See attached thread of their menu of great combinations.        Buddy

http://www.superduperweenie.com/menu.htm
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/21 18:38:22
the best slaw dog to me is a char grilled vienna on a poppyseed bun with kentucky fried chickens cole slaw on it with a light row of mustard
THE WILD DOG
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/22 23:01:26
Our version of the Carolina Dog

It has slaw, mustard, & chili sauce on it.

The Wild Dog
" Our Dogs Don't Just Snap, They Bite"

www.thewilddogcart.com
www.facebook.com/thewilddogcart
www.twitter.com/thewilddogcart
John Fox
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/23 06:27:49
Is there a frank in there somewhere? I like the previous description "witness protection program" hot dog...... "where the hot dog is buried."

"Toppings are to complement the frank, like a mixer for a drink. You want to taste the rum...not just the coke."

Although it looks like it may be good, me and a lot of people are more interested in the brand of dog, if it has a casing, and how it is prepared. I know you mentioned Boars Head in the other forum, but you didn't answer my question as to whether it's their all beef or beef/pork dog. The beef/pork is average, the all beef is excellent. They also make a very bland beef/pork/veal dog that is mediocre. This dog is served at Walter's in Mamaronek, N.Y.
THE WILD DOG
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/23 12:56:41
that was a test dog, It was a Murray's dog. NOT a Boars Head dog. I boiled it and it shrunk.  I am testing a few different dogs. I like the way Nathans & Hebrew Nationals hold up, even if they were to be boiled. I plan on doing a simming test next.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/23 17:11:53
If you are boiling you may want to go with a natural casing dog, they last longer in the water.  Skinless dogs are better steamed or on a griddle or charbroiler. 

My opinion, it's always best to have a hot dog that covers the entire bun.  I hate it when taking the first bite of a hot dog and getting nothing but roll and toppings!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/03/23 17:53:49
IMO, there is Coleslaw and then there's Hot Dog Slaw---Not necessarily the same animal. It's kinda like Chili---there's Eatin' Chili and then there's Hot Dog Chili.

To me, Hot Dog Slaw should consist of very finely chopped cabbage, carrots and a hint of fresh onion. The Dressing should be creamy with a splash of Vinegar and whole Celery Seeds. The key is not to make the slaw too moist and runny. The Slaw should sit on top of the Dog and it should be firmly packed and upright.----Kinda like a Breast Implant!
If it's too moist, the juice saturates the bun making it soggy and then it self destructs right in your hands!" />  
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/03/23 18:01:57
3fan4evr
Hamburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/05/30 09:22:18
 Strange how the hotdog became the test subject for so many variations.

I'll take mine "all the way".......mustard, chili, onions, Texas Pete, and of course.....SLAW !!  (NC style). Like my burger that way too :)
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/02 18:40:27
Foodbme  IMO, there is Coleslaw and then there's Hot Dog Slaw---Not necessarily the same animal. It's kinda like Chili---there's Eatin' Chili and then there's Hot Dog Chili.

To me, Hot Dog Slaw should consist of very finely chopped cabbage, carrots and a hint of fresh onion. The Dressing should be creamy with a splash of Vinegar and whole Celery Seeds. The key is not to make the slaw too moist and runny. The Slaw should sit on top of the Dog and it should be firmly packed and upright.----Kinda like a Breast Implant!
If it's too moist, the juice saturates the bun making it soggy and then it self destructs right in your hands!" /> 
There's a trick to that that's actually kinda weird, but it works. When you chop your cabbage, put it in a colander and sprinkle salt on it. After it sits for about 15 minutes, rinse it with water to get the extra salt off.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/02 21:11:35
Big Ugly Mich

Foodbme  IMO, there is Coleslaw and then there's Hot Dog Slaw---Not necessarily the same animal. It's kinda like Chili---there's Eatin' Chili and then there's Hot Dog Chili.

There's a trick to that that's actually kinda weird, but it works. When you chop your cabbage, put it in a colander and sprinkle salt on it. After it sits for about 15 minutes, rinse it with water to get the extra salt off.

And then what happens??
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/02 21:36:11
Hypertension
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/02 23:42:44
Hot Dog King

Hypertension

Now, THAT'S Funny!

Big Ugly Mich
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/03 14:37:07
Most of the water in the original cabbage will drain off. Why it doesn't get replaced with whatever water you rinse the salt off with is beyond me, but it doesn't.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/03 14:53:59
Big Ugly Mich

Most of the water in the original cabbage will drain off. Why it doesn't get replaced with whatever water you rinse the salt off with is beyond me, but it doesn't.

Hummmmmm'
Ranks right up there with unexplainable thngs like the Loch Ness Monster, UFO's and Jimmy Hoffa's burial site!
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/06/03 18:35:36
Salt draws moisture from food.  It's one reason salt was and still is used in some curing and preservation.
Water normally enters vegetation through the roots, some enters through the exterior but it takes longer.  Just a theory
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/21 12:56:46
I forgot to thank Russ for the kind "welcome back" on p4.

Speaking of welcome backs... welcome back Roossy90!!!

Have we talked about the correct condiments on a Slaw Dog? I bet yall have and I missed it. Tha Texas Pete sounds good!
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/07/21 13:17:21
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/21 14:17:03
PapaJoe8

Have we talked about the correct condiments on a Slaw Dog? I bet yall have and I missed it. Tha Texas Pete sounds good!
Joe

All a Slaw Dog needs is---------Slaw! Maybe a little Salt & Pepper.
MellowRoast
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/21 16:00:53
I must have really anticipated this thread, because I had about a dozen slaw dogs in the last week.  Slaw & mustard on a Hebrew National jumbo frank.  Just wish I could get top-split buns.   (KFC coleslaw is perfect for this.)
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/21 16:21:39
I just did some googling and mustard, onions, and chili come up allot. Hot sauce comes up sometimes.
Joe
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/26 08:26:42
I agree with the salt in a colander but draining for 30 minutes to an hour would be better. Place the colander in a bowl to collect the drained liquid and you will see what I mean. Very little moisture will be released in 15 minutes. If you only drain for 15 minutes, it would help to dry the cabbage with a paper towel after rinsing.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/07/26 10:26:03
Foodbme

PapaJoe8

Joe

All a Slaw Dog needs is---------Slaw! Maybe a little Salt & Pepper.

All a slaw dog needs is a garbage disposall.

phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2010/08/08 12:27:07
to me grill up a few viennas on poppyseed buns with one line of mustard, some really fine diced onion and kfc cole salw is the ideal make at home dog for me when i cant get my chicago fixins
WVaNative
Junior Burger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/06/06 18:36:03
I grew up in Boone Co. Wva in Keith and we got our Slaw dogs in Sylvester, WVa.  My dad and I would stop everytime we pasted coming and going. But that was 50yrs ago
ScreenBear
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/06/06 21:03:11
Well then, you should be ready for another one. 

The Bear
myway
Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/11 18:10:41
I know this might be subjective , but what is the best type of slaw to use on a slaw dog?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/11 18:17:23
myway
I know this might be subjective , but what is the best type of slaw to use on a slaw dog?

Very finely chopped slaw. About the consistency of pickle relish. It fits and stays on the dog better.
Ingredients - Cabbage, carrots, a little mayo and vinegar, sugar and celery seed, S & P.
Course chopped slaw hangs all over the place.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/12 07:48:15
Foodbme

myway

Very finely chopped slaw. About the consistency of pickle relish. It fits and stays on the dog better.
Ingredients - Cabbage, carrots, a little mayo and vinegar, sugar and celery seed, S & P.
I was at Chik-fil-a last week and it occured to me if you drained their colesaw a bit, it would work well as slaw-dog slaw.

ScreenBear
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/12 10:20:23
Me? I prefer long strand, with just enough mayo to know there's mayo...but never gloppy.  Still, I'd sure like to try the red slaw dogs at Payne's in Scottsboro, Alabama. That's just the kind of hairpin I am.

The Bear
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/12 14:29:48
I made a quick slaw for my hot dog lunch at home today:
finely chopped cabbage
a pinch of sugar
a pinch of salt
a splash of rice vinegar
a spoon of mayo - Duke's of course, for this Southern gal

The bun was soft, the mustard deli-style, the dog a Hebrew National, the onions Vidalia, and the chili homemade. Best dog in my town, I betcha!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/12 16:06:03
eruby
Foodbme
myway

I was at Chik-fil-a last week and it occured to me if you drained their colesaw a bit, it would work well as slaw-dog slaw.

Yep. You don't want sloppy slaw!.
Just enough mayo to hold it together and just enough vinegar to give it a little tang.
bartl
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/13 21:02:12
One trick I (and many others) use: use sucralose or aspartame instead of sugar.

Bart
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/13 23:49:58
bartl
One trick I (and many others) use: use sucralose or aspartame instead of sugar.
Bart

Good Idea!. I use Sweet & Low or Splenda in my egg mixture when I make French Toast. You get the sweetness without the burnt sugar taste. 
lassieR
Junior Burger
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/20 01:09:40
I've never eaten a slaw hot dogs but I really wanted to try it. The way you describe it I am craving to it that now. Can I found a hotdog like that here in Texas? All i eat here are from Meyer hot dogs and Ball Park hot dogs, I want to try something different. Anyway just want to share the latest news about hotdogs. I read recently a news about Meyer hot dogs and Ball Park hot dogs it said that, promoting a product or marketing a brand can be very tough. The legal concerns around it, however, are even tougher to navigate. Oscar Meyer and Ball Park hot dogs' producers today started a fight in the courtroom. The issues at hand may seem minor, however huge amount of money and the way you shop could possibly be impacted by the outcome of the lawsuit. Source for this article:
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! 2011/08/20 02:02:26
lassieR

I've never eaten a slaw hot dogs but I really wanted to try it. The way you describe it I am craving to it that now. Can I found a hotdog like that here in Texas? All i eat here are from Meyer hot dogs and Ball Park hot dogs, I want to try something different. Anyway just want to share the latest news about hotdogs. I read recently a news about Meyer hot dogs and Ball Park hot dogs it said that, promoting a product or marketing a brand can be very tough. The legal concerns around it, however, are even tougher to navigate. Oscar Meyer and Ball Park hot dogs' producers today started a fight in the courtroom. The issues at hand may seem minor, however huge amount of money and the way you shop could possibly be impacted by the outcome of the lawsuit. Source for this article:

Welcome to Roadfood but the Weiner Wars are old news and are already being discussed on another thread.
I'm sure there are other hot dog brands being sold in Austin supermarkets. Earl Campbell's comes to mind. Go buy some and some buns and stop by the deli counter for some Coleslaw and have at it! 
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/08/20 02:07:06
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial