Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 179
leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
  • Reward points : 0
Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 8:33 AM
When I used to spend summers in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina, I noticed when I ordered a hot dog in so many places, it came with coleslaw("slaw") on it...the first time I was asked if I wanted it,I thought I had heard "Kraut" and said yes...boy was I surprised...pleasantly so...it's delicious.....I especially enjoyed a dog with the works...they put that slaw right on top of the chili...looked strange but tasted great.....mustard ,onions, chili, then slaw....to this day..almost forty years later,my family loves them...we call them "Burnsville Hotdogs" in honor of the mountain town in Yancey County where I first had that taste treat on a great footlong served at Lil' Smoky's...
Been back to Yancey County twice, and we always enjoy a "Burnsville Hotdog" to celebrate.
I've never seen "slaw" served on a dog up here in Jersey or vacinity....how many of you have ever enjoyed this treat...ever had anything like the "Burnsville Hotdog"? If not give it a try!!!!!!!

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 8:36 AM
Slaw on a dog is very good. Odd, for me because I am not one who likes slaw on barbecue.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 8:45 AM
Slaw on dogs is also very popular in West Virginia. Personally, I love them! This is from the late, great Hocutt's of Moundsville, WV.

I believe I have also had them in Alabama.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 9:01 AM
Slawdogs are very common in East Tennessee. I was ordering them 40 years ago and they are still very prevalent. Generally creamy sweet slaw is used around Knoxville.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 9:34 AM
I have not had slaw on a dog, but in Colorado, I was pleasantly surprised with slaw and chili on a burger. It was outstanding! I bet it would be good on a chili dog too!

John Sagi
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 9:53 AM
Lee
If you want to try a place where you can make a slaw dog, You may want to try Broadway Bar and Grill in Point Pleasant, NJ. They are near the inlet across the street from the charter boats. They serve the hot dog with or without fries and they always have cole slaw. There slaw is creamy. This is as close as I've gotten to a slaw dog.

John

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 9:57 AM
Next time I do cole slaw I'll save some for a slaw & chili dog

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 9:57 AM
I was served a hot dog covered with slaw once in Charleston, West Virginia. I'd never heard of such a thing before. I tried it. Didn't care for it. Reminded me of the time I ordered a hamburger in Amarillo, Texas and the thing came covered with lettuce, tomato and onion. I said I hadn't ordered any lettuce, tomato or onion and the guy said that's the only way they made a hamburger. I was just 17 and where I grew up if you wanted a garden on a hamburger you had to order a "Deluxe," and it cost extra. I still don't eat burgers with gardens.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 10:31 AM
We just had a Hot Dog joint open right in the city I live in (Xenia Ohio) about a month ago Called Vergie's Home of the West Virginia Slaw Dog. I am waiting until they get settled in before I do a formal review. They serve a steamed Nathans Dog with Homemade Chili and Slaw. Not a bad combination and he says it is his biggest seller so far...Russ

Luvthemdogs
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 11:01 AM
Rosco's big dog in Hartford, CT serves homemade chili and homemade slaw on a dog as well.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 11:01 AM
The only steamed hot dog I ever liked was Lum's steamed in beer hot dog.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 11:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John Sagi

Lee
If you want to try a place where you can make a slaw dog, You may want to try Broadway Bar and Grill in Point Pleasant, NJ. They are near the inlet across the street from the charter boats. They serve the hot dog with or without fries and they always have cole slaw. There slaw is creamy. This is as close as I've gotten to a slaw dog.

John

Thanks John, I'll try to get over there...meanwhile all this talk...I think I'll wip up some "Burnsville Footlongs for dinner!!!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:02 PM
Another option is Crifdog in NYCity...

The top one is a "BLT", which is a Bacon Wrapped Dog with Lettuce, Tomato & Mayo, bottom is a "Spicy Redneck", which is a house dog, Bacon Wrapped, with Chili, Cole Slaw, and Jalapenos.

They'll also just do chili and slaw if you want.

uncledaveyo
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:07 PM
I don't like it because its different.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:12 PM

KonaErnie
  • Total Posts : 356
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:20 PM
I love a good slaw dog. You can't find any out here so I have to make them at home. I make the slaw with Maui onion dressing and add lots of red onions to the mix. 2 Nathan's doggies cooked on the grill with slaw & plenty of whole grain mustard and I'm good to go.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:22 PM
Does anyone make them with footlongs????

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 1:26 PM
Lenny's sandwich shops have grilled footlongs. I would think slaw would be an accepted condiment.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Thu, 10/23/08 2:12 PM
I don't run into them very often.

I'd enjoy trying on at a place that calls it a specialty, where they have honed the specialty.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 1:49 AM
Then drive to the mountains of western North Carolina...go down mainstreet in Burnsville NC, to Li'l Smoky's and order two footlongs with the works...and prepare for a quick assent to heaven....the best....!!!!!

WVCitySlicker
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 2:01 AM
It's a sin not to have eaten a hot dog with slaw if you live in WV. - down right Un-American

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 6:14 AM
In Dothan , we love hot dogs . We love chili dogs , but slaw dogs are a very close second !

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 7:38 AM
[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by leethebard

Does anyone make them with footlongs????

Long Dogger's in Daytona Beach does. Scroll down to the hot dog menu.
<message edited by MiamiDon on Mon, 03/1/10 7:11 AM>

Michael Hoffman
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 9:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by WVCitySlicker

It's a sin not to have eaten a hot dog with slaw if you live in WV. - down right Un-American

I lived in Charleston. Hated the slaw dog.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 10:36 AM
In Raleigh, I had a slaw dog at a stand named Snoopys.As I recall it was slaw, raw onions and mustard.Pretty good, and different from what we have here in Wisconsin, but it isnt anything I would seek out.Give me a good Chicago style dog anyday...

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:01 AM
A hot dog without slaw? Except for a Chicago style dog, such a thing is as abominable a notion as a Memphis BBQ without it!

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:03 AM
A slaw dog is about the only variation in which I just can't put on a little ketchup. The slaw demands the stage alone.

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:14 AM
Dairy Queen use to serve the "Suicide Dog". It was a foot long with onions, relish, chill and slaw. Humm, those were good even though the wiener wasn't the best.

pmrkr2
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:29 AM
My friend Barry turned me on to cole slaw on a bow wow way back when, I'd never heard of it before, always went with kraut or onions but I tried it and I've been a fan ever since.

wmceaton
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:33 AM
Love slaw dogs...especially with some Texas Pete's on top.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

A hot dog without slaw? Except for a Chicago style dog, such a thing is as abominable a notion as a Memphis BBQ without it!

ChiliDog
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:59 AM
In May of 2004, "emsmom" responded to a thread I'd started about "Regional Favorites" and she introduced this California boy to the wonder that is cole slaw on a hot dog. Again, Thank you emsmom!

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 9:07 PM
Even though most of the time I enjoy my hot dogs with mustard only, I have had coleslaw on a hot dog and enjoyed it. Most of the time I've had coleslaw on a dog, it's sat on top of a spicy chili. I will be going to North Carolina for a wedding next month and hope to get away to sample some of the local fare. I prefer the sweet, creamy coleslaw.

Leethebard, I know of at least 2 places in N.J. that you can get slaw on a dog. There are probably many more, but I don't usually seek it out. One is Checker's, a hamburger chain. They use a pedestrian Hormel dog and top it with chili and slaw. The place I had a dog with coleslaw and chili was Amazing Hot Dog. Both the chili and coleslaw were exceptional. I've also had this combination at Rosco's in Connecticut. Although I sampled dogs from nine places that day, I had the regular dog at Rosco's with mustard only. Someone gave me a bite of their dog with slaw and chili, and it was excellent. I would definitely have this dog again if I return. And at Amazing, it would be a tough decision between their Reuben Dog and their chili slaw dog (Caped Crusader).

At home, I've made dogs (all beef and beef/pork) and topped them with very spicy chili from Father & Son in Linden and cole slaw. The cold creamy coleslaw mixes well with the chili and reduces some of the excess heat.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 9:57 PM
I heard a story - not sure how true it is. But, a few years ago in NYC, an out of towner walked inside a deli and ordered a hot dog with ketchup and cole slaw. He was seen later, hanging from a street lamp on Third Avenue.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 10:01 PM
Hello all ,

I have had cole slaw on a dog at the now closed Herlochers in Charlotte NC . Part od the Dale Earnhardt movie was filmed there . Excellent !!! Really enjoyed it . Also Crifs Dogs in NYC , had one with chili . Very good . Great topic .

Benzee

A2Mich
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Fri, 10/24/08 11:21 PM
Oooooooooooo.........one of my absolute favorites....slaw dogs. First had one in Panama at the PX about 20 years ago. You can cheat and use KFC slaw, but I prefer to buy the bag of coleslaw (Dole's with cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrots) and make it with Marzetti's Slaw Dressing....this is the ONLY brand of slaw dressing that I like. My preference is for a sweeter/creamy coleslaw. Anyways, I prefer to use either Nathan's or Sabrett hot dogs on a small sub roll (hot dog bun is too small). Next add chili, hot sauce, cheese/cheez whiz/velveeta (whichever you prefer), onion (raw), Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce, Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard (plain yellow mustard will do if that's all you've got), and a generous helping of that sweet, creamy coleslaw. Grab a knife, fork, spoon, and a lot of napkins, and enjoy. One hint to improve the taste a bit more.....you can either deep fry the hot dog, or you can boil or nuke as you normally would, then pan fry the dogs in a small amount of veg oil to brown and crisp up a bit.....OMG...may have to make some this weekend!!!

DPuro329
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Sun, 10/26/08 8:04 PM
I love slaw dogs as well and in NJ I've found them at Big Daddy's Dogs in Little Falls, Papaya King in Clifton, Amazing Hot Dogs, and New England Hot Dog Company in Freehold. The slaw definitely mixes well with spicy chili and complements it very well.

Dave

Twinwillow
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Sun, 10/26/08 8:10 PM
A pox on you all!

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Sun, 10/26/08 8:29 PM
I've never heard of slaw on a chili dog until I came here... So curiosity got the best of me, and I love it! Though I used sweet slaw, alot of the pics posted look like a vinegar based slaw. (Sorry, like me sweet slaw)... But it's always entertaining to see how the rest of the states enjoy a good chili dog!

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Sun, 10/26/08 9:18 PM
Vinegar..sweet...both are great on a dog!!!!!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 1:06 AM
is ketchup required on a slaw dog?

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 1:22 AM
Ketchup is NEVER required on a hot dog...of any kind!!!

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 1:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo
I don't like it because its different.

Uncledaveyo; Dearfolk,
I could say the same thing about livermush.
Unmushingly, Ort. Carlton in Getting Chilly Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 1:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow
A pox on you all!

Twinwillow,
Why glue all of us together? Gnerk, what a mess. How would we all fit in the shower together to try to get rid of it? Garrumpf.
Prepoxterously, Ort. Carlton in Cohesive Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 1:39 AM
Dearfolk,
Now, finally seriously... I've never had a slaw dog that I can recall, but The Varsity locations in Atlanta and Athens sell a lot of 'em.
I would be really happy to find a place that did up their slaw dogs with a mustardy slaw, so there would be no need for extra mustard on the dog.
Methinks I need to try this at Allen's Hamburgers one sunny day by adding mustard to their cole slaw and schlumping it onto a poor unsuspecting dog, awaiting my devour from its hiding place inside two slices of Luna Bakery Marbled Rye Bread.
Almost Poetically, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
P. S. I went to Atlanta for a week. Report(s) to follow. Burp.

Twinwillow
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 2:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow
A pox on you all!

Twinwillow,
Why glue all of us together? Gnerk, what a mess. How would we all fit in the shower together to try to get rid of it? Garrumpf.
Prepoxterously, Ort. Carlton in Cohesive Athens, Georgia.

C'mon, Ort. You know I really love all youse guys.

BR
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 9:34 AM
Go to the restaurant review section and take a look at the slaw dog picture at Johnnie's Grill in El Reno Oklahoma. It's a different kind of slaw that is kinda sweet. It's been years since I've had one but I loved it. They are very popular in El Reno. There is a review of another grill.... I think it's Sid's, also in El Reno that serves a very similar looking slaw dog but I've not tried it. Johhnie's Grill used to be a tiny little hole in the wall back in the early days, maybe 8' wide by 25' long. Seating consisted of 7 or 8 stools at the counter. From your seat you could nearly touch the cook on the back while flipping those onion fried burgers. Johnnie would place a tennis ball sized meat ball on the grill, top it with onions then smash it with that big spatula. That little hole in the wall did a tremendous amount of business for a little oil patch town in Oklahoma.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 9:45 AM
BR-
Here is my slaw dog from Johnnie's Grill back in May.

Delicious!

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Mon, 10/27/08 10:02 AM
Wow...give me two of those!!!!

PopsDogHouse
  • Total Posts : 779
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Tue, 10/28/08 8:42 PM
Our slaw dog is probably our biggest seller. The majority of our customers want slaw on their dogs. They even add it to our kraut dogs.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 3:11 AM
Any kind of slaw works on a dog. Slaw is a big seller here also. Mustard slaw is most requested.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 10:18 AM
Pop,

What brand frank do you serve? Size, composition (pork/beek?), and method of preparation. Other condiments available? Brand of roll, and whether toasted or steamed? Oh....and exact location and hours. Thanks,

The Bear

Optimus
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 11:29 AM
I haven't had slaw on a dog in years. I would prefer a sweet slaw to give the hot dog a sweet and salty taste. The only place I've seen slaw on a hot dog is at a place called Pinks.

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 11:45 AM
Living in Myrtle Beach, we have tons of visitors and transplants from
everywhere but here....it always amazes me how few of them haven't heard
of slaw on a dog.

But even fewer have ever heard of Carolina style...slaw and chili, on dogs
or burgers. Dang I'm hungry now.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 12:49 PM
growing up in Upstate, NY, I was carefully taught that only mustard accompanied hotdogs...unless you were one of those ketchup people, who clearly had no idea what they were doing. I grew up believing that the measure of a hotdog is the quality of the meat. So, toppings like chili and cheese was for inferior hotdogs. Store/national brand = chili dogs, quality hotdogs = mustard only on split top buns.

Then I moved south...

and, well, the meat in the dogs are infact inferior to what I grew up on, but the chili was great and I learned to love the complimentary cool of the coleslaw that sat atop the chili. All the way, please!

So, when in NC, go for it. It's delicious! Just don't expect me to pile chili nor slaw on my Hofmann Franks and Coneys (white hots), nor any other fine German hotdogs. But, I still can't think of a better friday night hs football meal than two dogs all the way. NC style! Brings back fond memories.

leethebard
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 3:28 PM
It tastes even better on a great tasting hotdog...the taste of the hot dog DOES come through and the slaw and chili adds to the whole experience!!!

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 4:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

It tastes even better on a great tasting hotdog...the taste of the hot dog DOES come through and the slaw and chili adds to the whole experience!!!

gonna disagree there, LeetheBard. High quality dogs need no toppings and indeed the taste buds are distracted from the hotdog when chili is put on top. Chili, which I love, is full of spices and heat, and will mask any hotdog. No way around it. Chili is too spicy NOT to cover up meat.

PopsDogHouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 5:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Curbside Grill

Any kind of slaw works on a dog. Slaw is a big seller here also. Mustard slaw is most requested.

Hey Curbside. We use a sweet, creamy southern style here. Customers seem to like it. When I get the new cart with more space I will offer a mustard slaw as well.

PopsDogHouse
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 5:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Pop,

What brand frank do you serve? Size, composition (pork/beek?), and method of preparation. Other condiments available? Brand of roll, and whether toasted or steamed? Oh....and exact location and hours. Thanks,

The Bear

Hey Bear. We use Nathans 7", steamed Sarah Lee buns, dirty water dogs seared on the grill. We serve the more popular local condiments. Slaw, slaw and more slaw, chili, kraut, grated cheddar cheese, onion, jalapeno slices, must, ketch. relish.

We are either located at Pack Square or between City Hall and the Courthouse M-F 11:00-3ish weather permitting.

Pop

allyk
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Coleslaw on a Hotdog!!! - Wed, 10/29/08 5:25 PM
I'm from Alabama and grew up eating slaw dogs. In North 'Bama we like them with sweet and tangy vinegar slaw or with poolroom slaw, which is a spicier vinegar slaw with mustard added. About 10 years ago I had a slaw dog with chili for the first time--loved it!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 179