Who Makes Your Favorite Slider?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/20 06:03:42 (permalink)
White Rose, Roselle, N.J.
zagnut75
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/20 08:03:41 (permalink)
Dear friends- you MUST try the sliders at the Snow White Grill in Winchester, VA. Been sliding burgers since 1949 and virtually unchanged. True sliders- steam/fried on the onions on one side- even the cheese is grilled on the griddle before being massaged onto the patty. YUM.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/20 10:23:16 (permalink)
Nothing...NOTHING beats the little burgers at the Cozy Inn in Salina, Ks...long before 'sliders' became a fad, in fact, just after White Castle opened in Wichita, they've been serving up some of the best burgers of any size - cooked on the SAME grill since 1924!

As basic as it gets - little burgers cooked on top of onions and steamy water - no cheese, thank you - in fact the local joke is that one griddle man cooked some for himself using cheese, and was immediately canned! If you stop in from I-70 (about 5 minutes away), and carry a sack away, the smell will be a permanent part of your car for days! My sister and mom stopped in there on their trip this year, and I was brought home a shirt - which, when I opened the baggie it was in, smelled like heaven!
allyk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/20 16:30:08 (permalink)
I love Sliders! Either White Castle or Krystle. Doesn't matter. The town I now live in has neither:(. Funny story: last year my sister took a trip to Colorado. We flew out of Nashville, and a woman who was flying back to Denver after visiting her son had two cases of White Castles. She said she takes back two cases every time she makes the trip. She said she and her husband eat one case and freeze the other. That's love!
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/20 20:56:44 (permalink)
First choice is White Castle. Where I live now we are deprived of them, so I must resort to Krystal. Hey A2MICH I miss the burger Nazi's they are part of the Ann Arbor culture. Could ya Fedex me a double with a side of fried veggies? I know ya would if you could find parking, another part of the culture.
A2Mich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/21 20:44:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wabbit

First choice is White Castle. Where I live now we are deprived of them, so I must resort to Krystal. Hey A2MICH I miss the burger Nazi's they are part of the Ann Arbor culture. Could ya Fedex me a double with a side of fried veggies? I know ya would if you could find parking, another part of the culture.

Actually now would be a great time. With the cold weather we've been having, by the time I walked the six blocks to the nearest place I could park, your order would already be flash frozen for you! A double??? Come on.......puhleeze. To go through all of the hassle of driving around 30 minutes to find a parking place, then the 6-9 block walk to KJ's, you'd need to order a quad to make it worth your while. Do you remember QuickieBurger? It's pretty much almost across the street from Blimpyburger...anyways, there was a review a few months ago in the A2 Observer...if you don't know, the sign has a picture of a large chested woman riding on top of a hamburger (as if riding a horse), and several people had complained, finding the sign offensive. The owner of Blimpyburger even said in the review "Well, at least she wasn't riding a hot dog!" Hmm, I may have to make a trip to KJ's again soon.....actually, I prefer to go there in the summer when most of the students are gone.........If I could FedEx some to you I would!
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/21 20:51:35 (permalink)
Thanks for the thought. You are correct, with all the walking involed I need to go with a box of quads! I don not remember Quickieburger, but I agree with comment about the sign, Jeeze people lighten up, It could have been so much funnier with a Hot Dog! Stay warm[:D
quote:
Originally posted by A2Mich

quote:
Originally posted by Wabbit

Actually now would be a great time. With the cold weather we've been having, by the time I walked the six blocks to the nearest place I could park, your order would already be flash frozen for you! A double??? Come on.......puhleeze. To go through all of the hassle of driving around 30 minutes to find a parking place, then the 6-9 block walk to KJ's, you'd need to order a quad to make it worth your while. Do you remember QuickieBurger? It's pretty much almost across the street from Blimpyburger...anyways, there was a review a few months ago in the A2 Observer...if you don't know, the sign has a picture of a large chested woman riding on top of a hamburger (as if riding a horse), and several people had complained, finding the sign offensive. The owner of Blimpyburger even said in the review "Well, at least she wasn't riding a hot dog!" Hmm, I may have to make a trip to KJ's again soon.....actually, I prefer to go there in the summer when most of the students are gone.........If I could FedEx some to you I would!
nicname
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/11/23 22:42:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Nothing...NOTHING beats the little burgers at the Cozy Inn in Salina, Ks...long before 'sliders' became a fad, in fact, just after White Castle opened in Wichita, they've been serving up some of the best burgers of any size - cooked on the SAME grill since 1924!

As basic as it gets - little burgers cooked on top of onions and steamy water - no cheese, thank you - in fact the local joke is that one griddle man cooked some for himself using cheese, and was immediately canned! If you stop in from I-70 (about 5 minutes away), and carry a sack away, the smell will be a permanent part of your car for days! My sister and mom stopped in there on their trip this year, and I was brought home a shirt - which, when I opened the baggie it was in, smelled like heaven!

There is no Slider, that even compares to the COZY!. I remember when I was a kid my dad used to take us to the museaum or the art center and we would do in and eat Cozy burgers, chips and a pop, with candy bar to take for dessert. Once you left you smelled like onions for the rest of the day, and they used returnable pop bottles. I still stop in when I get the chance.

http://www.cozyburger.com/index.shtml

A few pics.

Look at those prices!

50th Anniversery 1972

Inside the Cozy today.

Outside eating area added a few years ago.
Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/01 23:49:12 (permalink)
White Castle. If I could pick somewhere to spend the rest of my life in it would be back in the Ann Arbor area (although I love Seattle just as much and I'm moving there in 3 weeks), I loved it when I found out there were White Castles there, lol.

After being stationed in Ann Arbor we were shipped to Mobile, AL, where they have Crystal. I'm pretty happy either place, but I kind of grew up with frozen White Castle burgers, so it's #1 in my book.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/02 01:35:27 (permalink)
White Castle is good for fast food/chain. But my favorite would be White Manna in Hackensack, NJ (though a bit larger than a typical slider) followed by Plan B in West Hartford, CT.
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/02 08:57:15 (permalink)
Crabill's

with White Castle a distant second.

I wish I could remember were the guy is. I believe Miamisburg near Dayton. There was a guy with a kind of hotdog cart( prob wrong on this has been years) That made these little almost burnt burgers, with a huge hunk of onion on it that was amazing. For the life of me I wish I could remember his name and were it was. I worked for a guy who took me there a few times.
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/02 10:44:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by baughman

Crabill's

with White Castle a distant second.

I wish I could remember were the guy is. I believe Miamisburg near Dayton. There was a guy with a kind of hotdog cart( prob wrong on this has been years) That made these little almost burnt burgers, with a huge hunk of onion on it that was amazing. For the life of me I wish I could remember his name and were it was. I worked for a guy who took me there a few times.

The Hamburger Cart in downtown Miamisburgh Ohio in the circle turn. He is still there and doing as good as usual. Actually deep fries them in a wok filled with peanut oil...Russ
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/03 04:43:42 (permalink)
The Cozy reminds me of Nick's, a little shop in the college town of Brookings SD. Their only product is a hamburger or cheeseburger and pie. Chips but no fries, like the Billy Goat in Chicago. They cook the burger using what they call the "tank fry" method, which is similiar to Dyers in Memphis. I haven't been in Nick's for years, but was sitting at the counter one day watching the cook drop small, round balls of meat into a large pan with several inches of boiling liquid. He would let them cook for a bit, then use a spatula to smash them flat to the bottom of the pan. I asked him what the liquid was, and he said suet. Didn't sound too appetizing, but I got over that when he put my plateful in front of me. They were cheap, and according to their website, you can still get one for 1.18. Now I need a reason to go back to Brookings.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/04 15:57:50 (permalink)
Powers Hamburgers , in Fort Wayne Indiana , has great little slider type mini burgers. They squash out a “golf ball” of fresh ground beef on the grill , add a wad of thin stranded onions and finish it off with generous squirt of mustard and ketchup in a dinner roll for a bun with the stranded onions dangling out from the side - kinda of messy but they taste great !

http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm
http://www.activediner.com/Powers-Hamburger-Shop/restaurant/Fort-Wayne/IN/US/profile/212865
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/12 07:39:49 (permalink)
White Castle for a chain. Unfortunately, the only thing resembling one of them that's nearby is Krystal. I just have to make do with that. Scotty's is probably good in that category as well.

All time fave was Dixie Hamburger in Hamilton, OH. I remember when they were 10 for a dollar, shocked when they went to six for a dollar. The smell of onions (and grease) was overpowering.
Food_Roadies4
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2008/12/14 19:39:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by nicname

quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

There is no Slider, that even compares to the COZY!. I remember when I was a kid my dad used to take us to the museaum or the art center and we would do in and eat Cozy burgers, chips and a pop, with candy bar to take for dessert. Once you left you smelled like onions for the rest of the day, and they used returnable pop bottles. I still stop in when I get the chance.

http://www.cozyburger.com/index.shtml

Absolutly. The best sliders ever. And the Best little joint with only 5-6 barstools at the counter. We visited in July of '08.

You like cheese? forget it. They don't make 'em that way, don't even ask!! don't expect to be asked "do you want fries with that". They don't serve those either! Just bagged chips and cans of soda that have a strong reminder of where they came from on the top as you sip.

Walk in, and your asked "How Many you want". After that the cook reaches into the cooler and grabs the meat balls and smashes them on the griddle, then grabs a handful or two of chopped onions out of the bucket on the window ledge. Tosses them on creating a plume of stinky steam. when their done, right into the sack they go. No wrapping with their logo on it. just right into the brown bag, which is better then a logo any day (the smell will sell 'em).

But, since we live here in Southern Indiana, I'd go with go with White Castle as a distant second.

Crabill's and Power's sound good also, someday we'll roadtrip our way there.
swvadon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/02/21 20:28:14 (permalink)
The Cozy building reminds me of a place in Roanoke, Va. called the Texas Tavern. The TT doesn't serve sliders, but they're a great ten stool greasy spoon diner.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/02/22 16:48:36 (permalink)
Powers Hamburgers in Fort Wayne Indiana.
http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm 

Sorry - didn't realize that I'd already posted on this thread  earlier- Blame it on a "senior" moment.
post edited by ZekeTheCat - 2010/02/22 16:57:21
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/02/22 20:03:46 (permalink)
gschwim

Growing up in Detroit, my favorite was Greene's Hamburgers, on Seven Mile Rd. & Schaefer. And does anyone (or at least anyone from Detroit) remember Top Hat? It was similar to White Castle: little burgers for 5 cents.

I remember going to Top Hat when I was a little kid. Also Brays's hamburgers with the big donkey on top!! Ahhhh.....memories!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18381
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/02/22 21:37:39 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich

White Castle for a chain. Unfortunately, the only thing resembling one of them that's nearby is Krystal. I just have to make do with that. Scotty's is probably good in that category as well.

Um, there are two White Castles listed in Hamilton, Ohio, and there are no Krystal's in Ohio.
BelRose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/20 13:22:33 (permalink)
I wish a pox on all of the fancy creation being passed off as a slider these days, to me they have to be cheap, simple, greasy, and tasty.  White Castle goes 3/4, but I don't think they are very tasty, the best and only slider that I have ever had that truly goes 4/4 were from a now defunct Washington/Baltimore chain called Little Tavern.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/20 16:54:41 (permalink)
Back in the early '80s, while on a job-related trip to Washington, I stumbled upon the Little Tavern chain for the first time and quickly developed a passion for their tasty little burgers. Every time that my job took me back to DC, I tried to get over to one of the handsome little white buildings with the green roofs in order to "feed the need". I was really sorry to learn a while back that the Little Taverns are no more.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10222
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/20 17:17:39 (permalink)
CB-
On just our last trip, cousin Johnny was telling me how much he missed Little Tavern.  Looks like they are all gone now.
BelRose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/20 18:44:30 (permalink)
The worst part is that the little buildings are still around, pulling at your heart every time you see one.  I know I did my best to help keep the chain alive.
sonjaab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/22 01:20:06 (permalink)
In the Syracuse NY area the only decent slider I can find is at Unos!  Fat and juicy cooked medium with cooked onions and blue cheese crumbles...Yum!  Ruby Tuesday has them but they are not as good...................
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/22 01:26:52 (permalink)
allyk

I love Sliders! Either White Castle or Krystle. Doesn't matter. The town I now live in has neither:(. Funny story: last year my sister took a trip to Colorado. We flew out of Nashville, and a woman who was flying back to Denver after visiting her son had two cases of White Castles. She said she takes back two cases every time she makes the trip. She said she and her husband eat one case and freeze the other. That's love!

Are you not in Nashville any longer There's Krystals in Nashville!

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 680
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/29 20:43:04 (permalink)
I saw the title and was going to answer "Bates, in Livonia", and then saw that the first post mentioned that.  I love that place.

I'm still planning on doing the "slider tour of metro Detroit" sometime when visiting the SO's family.
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/04/29 21:35:04 (permalink)
Foodbme

Are you not in Nashville any longer There's Krystals in Nashville!

There's White Castle in Nashville, too -- I saw them across the street from each other. Maybe I was at the nexus of the universe
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/05/05 11:35:23 (permalink)
I like my sliders steamed w/onions and extra mustard. We have a place here that is one of the oldest restaurants in Huntsville (Big Spring Cafe) and serves the best sliders ever. They call themselves "The Home of the Greasy Burger". It is a very samall diner w/only one table and about 12 counter stools. So most get their orders to go. The burgers are really not that greasy unless you as for extra grease (which some people do). You can get them loaded (lettuce, tomato, etc.), but I like mine the original way (onions and mustard). They also serve great chili and slaw dogs too. Usually I order two sliders and either a chili or slaw dog to get the best of both.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Slider? 2010/05/05 12:00:04 (permalink)
The best slider I have had was at Arnold's Royal Castle in North Miami.

But then again, I've never been to any of the places mentioned here, like White Castle, etc.  I hope to grab a White Rose later this month.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1