Coca cola

semperfimom
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points : 0
Coca cola - Thu, 11/13/08 3:17 PM
Coca cola has real sugar in Mexico? What is used in the states? Corn syrup? I was in Calfornia last week and had 2 bottles. I was ready to bring home a case, it was that good!

Run2Eat
  • Total Posts : 91
RE: Coca cola - Thu, 11/13/08 3:20 PM
I get it when I go to the Farmers Market here in Dallas.. I've also seen it in the grocery stores either on the "multi ethnic" isle or the all natural isle.. A bit pricey but worth it for a treat.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6081
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 11:47 AM
I wish Coke would get the message...and start an advertizing campaign for a classic sugar line of coke...I think people would pay a bit extra for REAL original coke!!!!

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 12:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I wish Coke would get the message...and start an advertizing campaign for a classic sugar line of coke...I think people would pay a bit extra for REAL original coke!!!!

I think that due to biofuel, sugar is now cheaper than corn syrup byproducts. ...and gas is now cheaper than milk. It's all kinda wacky right now.
Coke is putting out glass bottles to recreate the way things used to be and it seems that folks are paying a little more for that. Adding sugar to those would seal the deal for me.

I grew up eating Letizia's Pizza with the real Coke when I was a kid. It is a taste that still remains with me after all these many years.
I love Foxon Park. They are all sugar, but the cola is not the same as Coke's.

mark

mark

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 12:50 PM
quote:

The Coca-Cola Company doesn't determine the sweetener used -- the bottlers do, which is why places where cane sugar is cheap (such as Hawaii & other sugar growing regions) the bottlers use cane sugar.

The bottler franchise agreement was rewritten in the early 1980's to permit the use of HFCS.

phatphil
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 5:11 PM
we have a roach coach come to our shop, (food truck) and all the GLASS bottles of soda are all sugar and spanish writing on bottle but no corn syrup, brings back memories as a kid and tastes way better.

all the trucks around palm beach and broward county florida have them

leethebard
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 5:29 PM
Someone said Costco sold Coke with sugar...but our's doesn't seem to carry the sugared Coca Cola.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3705
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 5:45 PM
After the trade embargo was imposed on Castro's Cuba the price of sugar soared and the domestic producers "enjoyed" the higher prices so much that they formed a powerful lobby and are one of the few industries remaining that are protected by significant tariffs.

Not only does this adversely affect the taste of our wonderful National Drink, Coca Cola, it also raises our grain prices as our corn-based ethanol is protected by the same tariff regime from competition with the far more efficient Brasilian cane-based ethanol.

Oh well, at least I live in the Republic of Texas where sanity still rules and Mexican Coca Cola, original "cane sugar" Dr. Pepper, $1.79/gal gasolene, $5/lb ribeye, and $100/s.f. quality housing are still readily available.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 6:02 PM
quote:

Someone said Costco sold Coke with sugar...but our's doesn't seem to carry the sugared Coca Cola.

that was me. I was passing info I got from a close friend. I didn't see it either, however, on my last trip.

leethebard
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 6:16 PM
Maybe it will spread to our Costco stores...Will keep looking and report if I see sugar!!!!

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 6:37 PM
I can get imported Mexican manufactured Coke, Sprite, Fresca, and Pepsi around the corner from me. a 600 ml bottle is $1.79 plus tax. One sip and you can tell the difference.

Dennis in Cary

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3705
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 6:41 PM
quote:

Maybe it will spread to our Costco stores...Will keep looking and report if I see sugar!!!!

COSTCO in North Dallas carries it on occasion; it is regularily available here at Central Market and every "bodega".

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/14/08 7:25 PM
If Coke won't do it right, why bother? Better soft drinks exist. If they cannot produce a decent product, just don't buy it. I think it is only a matter of time before Coca Cola starts looking for a taxpayer bailout just like the big 3 automobile companies are because none of them are doing it right. If the iconic American brands have failed in their mission let them fail, they deserve to fail.

All I know is I loved my 1956 Chevy and going out for a Coke and burgers with a date. Those were the days. Currently, I hate my modern problem prone Chevy and would not think of ordering a Coke at any old fashioned Roadfood type of place. Times always change, but people do too, so I will not buy another Chevy or a Coke unless they can manage to do it like they used to do.

leethebard
RE: Coca cola - Sat, 11/15/08 12:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

If Coke won't do it right, why bother? Better soft drinks exist. If they cannot produce a decent product, just don't buy it. I think it is only a matter of time before Coca Cola starts looking for a taxpayer bailout just like the big 3 automobile companies are because none of them are doing it right. If the iconic American brands have failed in their mission let them fail, they deserve to fail.

All I know is I loved my 1956 Chevy and going out for a Coke and burgers with a date. Those were the days. Currently, I hate my modern problem prone Chevy and would not think of ordering a Coke at any old fashioned Roadfood type of place. Times always change, but people do too, so I will not buy another Chevy or a Coke unless they can manage to do it like they used to do.

Pessimistic...but true...seems much of what we have today was made better years ago!

DLnWPBrown
RE: Coca cola - Thu, 11/27/08 9:53 PM
Well at the rate GM is going, you may not have to worry about buying another Chevy. A shame as we are a GM family ( Trailblazer & a Saturn Vue ) as I hear they may drop, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, and sell of Saab.

Wonder if we can get Coke to drop the corn syrup and go back to sugar.

Dennis in Cary

beijinger
  • Total Posts : 180
RE: Coca cola - Thu, 11/27/08 10:54 PM
Real sugor used in China. 8 ounce glass bottles 16 cents went up do to $ bombing in exchange. lol

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Coca cola - Thu, 11/27/08 11:08 PM
In Texas, they sell 12oz btls of Mexican Coke for %1.29 at all the Fiesta markets. 16 oz btls of Mexican Coke and Pepsi are $1.89

stevep
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Coca cola - Thu, 11/27/08 11:20 PM
I have a coworker in Brazil who always indulges in Coca-Cola when he visits the states. He loves the stuff; says it's much better than the sugar version he gets back home. Go figure... grass is always greener I suppose :)

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/28/08 8:27 AM
Many grocery stores (like kroger) sell coke with sugar in the mexican food section.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/28/08 11:59 AM

At our family gathering yesterday, one of the in-laws brought a couple of unusual bottles of Coke. They were round like a Christmas Tree Ornament..Bright Red with the normal Coke Labels, and 13 +oz. She said she got them in the Xmas decoration area at our local Walmart. When I first looked at them I thought they were tree decorations, but then I picked one up. It is a regular Coke in an unusal shaped bottle (Plastic).

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/28/08 12:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

At our family gathering yesterday, one of the in-laws brought a couple of unusual bottles of Coke. They were round like a Christmas Tree Ornament..Bright Red with the normal Coke Labels, and 13 +oz. She said she got them in the Xmas decoration area at our local Walmart. When I first looked at them I thought they were tree decorations, but then I picked one up. It is a regular Coke in an unusal shaped bottle (Plastic).

I saw them a couple of days ago at Walmart. You are correct as they resemble a tree decoration.

I do not put up a tree and I did not buy.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

DLnWPBrown
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/28/08 7:13 PM
Paul,

I am having the same thought about putting up a tree this year. My health has gone down hill ( 40, go figure ), haven't worked since the spring, and really not up to doing the whole decorating thing this season.

Dennis in Cary

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
RE: Coca cola - Fri, 11/28/08 9:01 PM
Many years ago, we went to the Bahamas. As I love "touring" foreign supermarkets, I came across a number of different soft drinks including Coke that were made with sugar instead of corn syrup.
I bought about 14 different sodas and packed them in my (already very heavy even when empty) Halliburton aluminum luggage. They must have weighed
about 75 lbs. each. When we went thru customs, the inspector asked us to open the extremely heavy suitcases so he could see why they were so heavy.
He was amazed! He said most people bring back things like crystal, jewelry, etc. But, soda? He said, "that's a first".

nicolem
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Coca cola - Mon, 12/15/08 1:21 PM
I know it is months away but during Passover keep your eyes open for Kosher Coke, Pepsi and Sprite. We get some every year as it is made the "old fashioned way" and not with HFCS. Yummy.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
RE: Coca cola - Mon, 12/15/08 1:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ynotryme

In Texas, they sell 12oz btls of Mexican Coke for %1.29 at all the Fiesta markets. 16 oz btls of Mexican Coke and Pepsi are $1.89

The Dallas Fiesta markets are a good source for many good food items at lower prices.

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: Coca cola - Mon, 12/15/08 7:30 PM
Why dont they offer a choice and seee what gappens. If all tgis hype is true, itll blow the pepsi challange. They way wrere getting screwed abyway whats a couple cents?

crew84row
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Coca cola - Tue, 12/16/08 12:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I saw them at Wal Mart this past weekend. Later when we were driving down our street on the way to a party, I saw one laying on the side of the road. Lo and behold, it was still there the next morning on my way to row,so I stopped and picked it up. Son drank it down that afternoon and the wife covered it with fabric and put it on the patio tree .

ThrashATL
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Coca cola - Tue, 12/16/08 12:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nicolem

I know it is months away but during Passover keep your eyes open for Kosher Coke, Pepsi and Sprite. We get some every year as it is made the "old fashioned way" and not with HFCS. Yummy.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That's a secret to most people. Won't be any left if you tell EVERYONE.. I get two carts around then and load up with about 30-40 2 liters. The REAL sugar makes it smoother, the carbonation more refined and the nasty aftertaste that HFCS Coke has isn't there.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
RE: Coca cola - Tue, 12/16/08 1:11 PM
When I lived in Alexandria, Virginia, I used to buy those liter bottles of Kosher Coke. Now that I live in Minneapolis, I can get Kosher Coke in 12-ounce cans right before and during Passover.

It tastes MUCH better than the liter bottles, I think.

eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
RE: Coca cola - Tue, 12/16/08 1:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rumaki
When I lived in Alexandria, Virginia, I used to buy those liter bottles of Kosher Coke. Now that I live in Minneapolis, I can get Kosher Coke in 12-ounce cans right before and during Passover.

It tastes MUCH better than the liter bottles, I think.
I'm jealous rumaki. Living in the NoVa/DC/Balt area I can never understand why with a relatively large Jewish population, ALL that's ever been available is the 2-litre Coke and Pepsi at Passover (Dr Brown's has 1-litre Passover Black Cherry).

Two and three years ago I was able to get a case of the cans from NYC and Pittsburgh, but struck out this year. I don't buy too many 2-litre bottles as I don't drink that much regular soda, and even the sealed bottles go flat in a few months (it sounds like ThrashATL has better luck or drinks it faster). The cans stay good many, many months.

Minneapolis? Who knew.

semperfimom
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Coca cola - Sat, 07/18/09 4:54 PM
*Yahoo*...we were at Costco today and found the Mexican sugar laced coke!  The cashier said the distributor only brought so many cases and he bought 2.  4 bottles are chilling now for consumtion later tonight!

allyk
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Coca cola - Mon, 07/20/09 3:03 PM

I've also heard that corn-growers lobby to keep the price of sugar high so that companies will use corn syrup to sweeten their products instead of sugar because it is cheaper. Anyone else heard of this?

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Coca cola - Mon, 07/20/09 3:13 PM
Not quite -- its the sugar lobby that has successfully restricted imports from places like Brazil and engineered other price supports.