I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612
2008/11/17 11:49:55 (permalink)

I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ...

I am helping a friend who is moving, drive down to Orlando. I don't know how much help I'll be. I'll bet I slow her down so much as I forage, that she'll probably kick me out half way there.

Seeing how there is no point in predicting what time of the day we'll be arriving anywhere, it is hard to make any concrete plans.

I see this trip essentially following the I-95 corridor.

I have the Roadfood Streets and Trips template loaded and ready.

Does anybody know how many states have free WiFi available at rest area?

I'm hoping to duck into PHILLY for a cheese steak ... anybody know where to get a superb soft pretzel, without adding hours to the trip?

In RICHMOND, I'm looking forward to another stop at Stewart's Fresh Catch:
http://www.stuartsfreshcatch.com/

In JACKSONVILLE, I guess I'll have to try Ellen and Chuck's burger joint ... I forget the name but it won't be hard to find. But, no guarantee I won't out of sheer habit do the Brickyard (haven't seen Little Karen in too long.)

I'll bet we veer into SAVANNAH.

Oh ... CAROLINA BBQ ... I need the most bullet proof places (again that won't add too many hours to the trip).

I see I'll finally be able to check out the GA Pig!

I might take 85 and 40 a bit near RALEIGH to vist friends in HENDERSON.

I may veer off course into FAIRFAX on 495 ...

Not sure about BALTIMORE. I do like Ciaperelli's in Little Italy.

Hoping to make a side trip to Sebring.

I'll appreciate any advice.

I checked other threads on I-95 and will go over them in more detail.

59 Replies Related Threads

bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 12:35:54 (permalink)
    Hi Greg...we loved the GA Pig...def recommend the pulled pork instead of ribs. beth
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 14:39:45 (permalink)
    In Maryland the Chesapeake House Service Area (Mile 97) and the Maryland Welcome Center (Mile 37) both have free WIFI. Our favorite quick-hit BBQ off I-95 is Holt Lake BBQ on US 301 in Smithfield, NC.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 15:18:40 (permalink)
    Greg, wow, what a trip! You're right, it's all about the timing. The following are not too far from the highway -- assuming you are taking I-95:

In Wilmington, Delaware, Casapulla's for a sub (I like the Italian) -- it is reviewed here on Roadfood. It is best to call them and place an order ahead of time rather than show up and place your order when you walk in, you will get served quicker that way. Also, no place to eat onsite, so this is an "eat in the car" option.

In Maryland, Baltimore, Vaccaro's for Italian pastry -- http://www.vaccarospastry.com/. A bit further from the highway than the other listings.

In Maryland (not Baltimore), Saturday or Sunday only, 11:00am-3pm, for Dim Sum, Oriental East in Silver Spring -- http://www.orientaleast.com/. Not too far from I-495 (the beltway around DC). They actually serve dim sum 7 days a week, but Saturday and Sunday are the only days it is served from the rolling carts. It is best to get there before 11:00am -- people usually start lining up around 10:30am. I was there this Sunday and, as usual, it was packed and everything was great.

Also in Maryland (again, not Baltimore -- sorry!), for seafood, Crisfields in Silver Spring -- http://www.crisfieldseafoodrestaurant.com/. They are open for lunch and dinner Tuesday - Sunday.

Happy driving and eating!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 16:13:30 (permalink)
    Wow ... the Casapulla's sub looks awesome ... the caption says the Italian comes without vinegar ... does that mean it will travel well, without having the bread disintegrate?

... looks better than even the best in the south end of Hartford.

Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 16:24:24 (permalink)
    I got the large Italian, with prosciutto, no pickles, no peppers, no cheese. I could only eat half for dinner, so I saved the rest for breakfast the next day (!) -- I had a refrigerator in my hotel room. I thought it was fine the next morning.

I usually don't get an Italian sub outside of Italian delis on Long Island, or my own kitchen, because invariably I am disappointed. However, this was a great sub. I thought I would miss the vinegar, but I didn't and the sandwich probably held up better without it.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 17:09:11 (permalink)
    Hi Gregg,

The burger place in Jacksonville is Stonewood Grill, here are other locations:

http://www.stonewoodgrill.com/locations.asp
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1628
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 17:52:08 (permalink)
    Just a little off I-95 in the St. Augustine area you have the Murray Brothers Caddyshack...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28517
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:05:23 (permalink)
    NC BBQ: Wilber's of Goldsboro. Accept no substitutes. Worth the brief foray from I-95.

http://wilbersbarbecue.com/

Orlando: The Kissimmee Steakhouse. I've enjoyed this non-touristy restaurant on each and every one of 10 or so trips to Orlando since the Reagan Admininstration. I "discovered it" thanks to enthusiastic written advice in a diary left at a vacation rental. God Bless that guy!

http://www.kissimmeesteakhouse.com/

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:27:21 (permalink)
    An excellent stop for barbeque is Moore's Barbeque, at exit 107 in Kenley, North Carolina. It is right off the interstate going east. The pulled pork is just wonderful and so are their sides. The fried chicken is terrific and I am sure the ribs are excellent as that seems to be what many of the locals are eating when we stop there. It is dirt cheap, with friendly people.

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:45:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Wheregreggeats,
    Do you mean Albany, Georgia; Albany, Indiana; Albany, Minnesota; or Albany, New York? -- Or New Albany, Mississippi?? (Tee hee.)
    I'll interject something useful restaurantwise if I see I'm able to; otherwise, I'll just shut up and let everyone snicker at all the various Albanys I've turned up.
    Not Albanian, Ort. Carlton, NOT in New Tirane But in Athens, Georgia-NOT-near-Turkey-nor-Armenia... (that's Tibisi).
    P. S. There IS an Armenia Avenue in Tampa.
    P. P. S. Each of the above Albanys is pronounced a trifle differently.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:06:03 (permalink)
    Dewey's diner on Fuller Road, Colonie, NY, actually just off it and adjacent to the larger Inga's diner on Fuller is the perfect place to begin your journey as I assume you will want a hearty and inexpensive breakfast to begin your journey and just might like walking into a time machine.

Time machine? Well that's my best description of it. Dewey's is an authentic very old diner which has never expanded or had any serious alterations or renovations. You will be greeted as a long lost family friend at the door and will be presented with a copy of the Times Union newspaper as soon as you sit down.

The fare is as authentic as the diner...old fashioned, hearty and made to order the old fashioned way. We are talking eggs done the way you want, omelets done in a real omelette pan, real home fries, endless free refills of coffee. You will not believe your bill and just may , believe you walked into a time machine because the bill will be just as retro as the diner.

My suggestion is to start your long journey right with a visit to Dewey's as it will nourish you well at a bargain price and put you into a good frame of mind for your adventure. It is also half a click away from all the interstate exchanges which is why all the truckers love it.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:28:02 (permalink)
    quote:

Does anybody know how many states have free WiFi available at rest area?

This is the best resource for free wi-fi spots I have found: http://www.wififreespot.com/ It is pretty comprehensive, but I don't see very frequent updates. For that matter, I am also not supplying the webmaster with places that I know locally that have free wi-fi that aren't on his list, so I shouldn't complain. As for rest areas, I clicked on most of the states along the I-95 corridor and the only one that specifically mentioned the rest areas was New York. This list, though, may provide you with enough alternative options near the interstates.

quote:

I'm hoping to duck into PHILLY for a cheese steak ... anybody know where to get a superb soft pretzel, without adding hours to the trip?

In RICHMOND, I'm looking forward to another stop at Stewart's Fresh Catch:
    http://www.stuartsfreshcatch.com/

I am a fan of City Center Pretzel, which is directly in south Philly - near the Italian Market area. So, if you are planning anything around there, then it will not add much time to your trip, but if I remember taking I-95 on this route, one does not exactly pass right through Philadelphia. So, if you are going there - no, it will not add much time otherwise. But, going through Philadelphia, in and of itself, may add some time.

I don't suppose you'd consider me talking you into Buz and Ned's BBQ in Richmond? It is easy on/easy off the highway, and they keep pretty friendly hours. You might leave your camera in the car!

quote:

In JACKSONVILLE, I guess I'll have to try Ellen and Chuck's burger joint ... I forget the name but it won't be hard to find. But, no guarantee I won't out of sheer habit do the Brickyard (haven't seen Little Karen in too long.)

I'll bet we veer into SAVANNAH.

You could likely do better than a burger for a top Roadfood meal in Jacksonville. I am partial to Clark's Fish Camp and Beach Road Chicken Dinners, but you can find a bunch of suggestions in buffetbuster's recently completed Florida trip report.

For Savannah, I am a fan of The Crab Shack on Tybee Island. Savannah is not an easy on/off the highway, so you need to go there to go there. If you are going to do that, then the drive to Tybee is not that bad.

The only other place that I might suggest that doesn't meet any of your requests is Mastoris Diner in Bordentown, NJ. It may be more convenient than a stop off in Philadelphia, or you may decide that Albany-Philadelphia requires a stop along the way for a nosh???
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:40:45 (permalink)
    Wheregreggeats,
    The only thing I can add is that if you pass by Weldon, North Carolina (U. S. 158 exit to Roanoke Rapids), you'll find Ralph's BBQ. This is a Roadfoodworthy stop.
    If you choose to spend the night in Tybee, go to The Breakfast Club in the morning.
    You've been given some excellent suggestions. Let us know what you find along your way. My parts hereabouts are WAY off your route, unless you're by here on Thursday and are awfully hungry for some chicken mull.
    Athenianly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:50:12 (permalink)
    Another great little roadfood breakfast spot in Albany is Peaches Cafe

Definetely my favorite breakfast place in Albany...

[url]www.peachescafe.net[/url]
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 06:24:57 (permalink)
    Y'all are doing great.

Thanks.

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 06:29:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Hi Gregg,

The burger place in Jacksonville is Stonewood Grill, here are other locations:

http://www.stonewoodgrill.com/locations.asp

I didn't realize it was a dinner only place -- or that they have one in Orlando.

I'll save the Stonewood experience for Orlando.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 07:34:58 (permalink)
    Greg:

Are you taking I95 to Daytona Beach, and then I4 to Orlando?

When are you going?
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 08:27:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Greg:

Are you taking I95 to Daytona Beach, and then I4 to Orlando?

When are you going?

Hi Don ...

I-95 to I-4 and then Streets and Trips has this surprise:

... happy to avoid 4, for sure.

Timing: Uncertain. Totally uncertain.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 10:58:21 (permalink)
    We like Ralph's BBQ in Weldon, NC. Besides good, not great, BBQ, the service is excellent, and its within sight of the exit ramp from I-95 - glad Ort reminded us of this place.

The last time we were on I-4 we crossed all the way from the Atlantic to the Gulf on it and it was a total horror - it made us wish for the peaceful driving on Rt 17 in north Jersey, or the old 19 on Florida's west coast.

Once again I'll urge fellow roadfooders travelling I-95 to try Don's Famous Lexington Style BBQ in Pooler, GA. This is a small joint housed in what looks like an old Dairy Queen that serves excellent chopped pork sandwiches and perfect swee-tea. It is less than a mile off I-95. BTW: Pooler is a place worth exploring sometime - in the past few years about ten BBQ's have sprouted up there - we've tried three - Don's was best of the three.

Unless you specifically want to visit Baltimore and Washington there is no need to put up with that insane traffic. We always pick up 301 near Wilmington and take it all the way down to the Richmond area . This also gives us a chance to visit one of our favorite lunchrooms in Hanover Va., the Houndstooth Cafe. Everything is good here, especially the desserts, and they serve a thinly sliced pork BBQ that is delicious - actually, it is not BBQ - it is slow roasted overnight in an electric contraption of some kind - no smoke involved.

Cheers, John
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 11:13:00 (permalink)
    Greg - Try to stop at the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop for either breakfast or lunch when you hit Jacksonville on the other side of the town..Heading South. There is one location just 5 minutes off I-95. I think you will love this place. Pure roadfood.com!!!!

Do a search for it on yahoo and check out the reviews (all 2008's) on citysearch.com. Roadfoodies..this is a good one when you are driving through Jacksonville. I have been touting this place ever since a chowhounder turned me on to it years ago. Careful..Strange operating hours. You have to try the hot relish in their dining room..Powerful and wonderful!

I did not like Wilbur's at all in Goldsboro, NC and it's very famous! Besides, you are too far from I-95 for that one. Much too far east of I-95.

There's one right off the I-95 in NC..Maybe called Moore's? Be careful in NC..Most places are closed on Sundays in the Bible Belt.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 11:22:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

I did not like Wilbur's at all in Goldsboro and you are too far from I-95 for that one anyway. Much too far east of I-95.

I got to disagree.

Wilbur's is definetely worth the detour off I95.

Those who aren't familiar with Eastern Style NC BBQ will not like Wilburs.
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 15:06:02 (permalink)
    Well, Gregg, I would heartily recommend The Brickyard in Daytona for great burgers and wings, but I found out about it from your website...

I guess what comes around goes around!

waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 420
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 15:55:29 (permalink)
    I always stop at the Dog House in New Castle,DE. I is just over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Walt
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 19:36:17 (permalink)
    Wandering..Yeah..Count me as one who was unfamiliar with Eastern NC "Q"and does not like straight vinegar with hot pepper flakes and NO SUGAR. I happen to love vinegar, but it has to have some sugar for me....Wilbur's was straight vinegar! Talk about an acquired taste. I could not believe how bad it tasted to me....Great hush puppies though. Best I've ever had. I thought it was a haul off the Interstate...If my memory serves me correctly. Hey, Greg can take a joke. If he does not like straight vinegar, he will not be happy.

The accents in that restaurant were not to be believed! Living in Florida, you get this false sense you are actually living in the South..Bull Sh-t. NC is the South! The Southern accents in that restaurant were amazing. With my NYC accent, they must have been laughing their asses off in the kitchen.

Ah..Kenly, NC..Wandering..do you know the exit? There's a "Q" restaurant, a small place, just east of the exit on the south side of the road. Just two minutes from the Interstate..Why not send Greg there instead? Not open on Sundays though. It's called Moore's. It is supposed to be good.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 20:20:21 (permalink)
    Do I have the wrong Moore's in mind? It was a very large place serving whole hog on a buffet someplace east of I-95, where you paid one low price and ate all you wanted... the pig had been pretty well picked over by the time we arrived, so we were not particularly enamored of the joint. And, yes, I I'm a real fan of the hot vinegar sauce in eastern NC.

Cheers, John
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 20:24:16 (permalink)
    There are two Moores...............not related. The one in Kenley exit 107 is right off 1-95 You can see it from the highway. They do not serve buffet and their food is wonderful.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 01:46:07 (permalink)
    Yeah Greymo..That's the one I'm talking about. I literally planned my trip so we would hit it at 1:30 PM for lunch coming from NJ. Got there only to find out it was closed...Sunday!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6285
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 02:45:07 (permalink)
    South of The Border!!!!(ha)
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1628
    RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 06:59:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

South of The Border!!!!(ha)

Isn't it required that you stop there & have your passport stamped?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1