I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ...

Filet Mignon
2008/11/17 11:49:55
I am helping a friend who is moving, drive down to Orlando. I don't know how much help I'll be. I'll bet I slow her down so much as I forage, that she'll probably kick me out half way there.

Seeing how there is no point in predicting what time of the day we'll be arriving anywhere, it is hard to make any concrete plans.

I see this trip essentially following the I-95 corridor.

I have the Roadfood Streets and Trips template loaded and ready.

Does anybody know how many states have free WiFi available at rest area?

I'm hoping to duck into PHILLY for a cheese steak ... anybody know where to get a superb soft pretzel, without adding hours to the trip?

In RICHMOND, I'm looking forward to another stop at Stewart's Fresh Catch:
http://www.stuartsfreshcatch.com/

In JACKSONVILLE, I guess I'll have to try Ellen and Chuck's burger joint ... I forget the name but it won't be hard to find. But, no guarantee I won't out of sheer habit do the Brickyard (haven't seen Little Karen in too long.)

I'll bet we veer into SAVANNAH.

Oh ... CAROLINA BBQ ... I need the most bullet proof places (again that won't add too many hours to the trip).

I see I'll finally be able to check out the GA Pig!

I might take 85 and 40 a bit near RALEIGH to vist friends in HENDERSON.

I may veer off course into FAIRFAX on 495 ...

Not sure about BALTIMORE. I do like Ciaperelli's in Little Italy.

Hoping to make a side trip to Sebring.

I'll appreciate any advice.

I checked other threads on I-95 and will go over them in more detail.

bethgrd
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 12:35:54
Hi Greg...we loved the GA Pig...def recommend the pulled pork instead of ribs. beth
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 14:39:45
In Maryland the Chesapeake House Service Area (Mile 97) and the Maryland Welcome Center (Mile 37) both have free WIFI. Our favorite quick-hit BBQ off I-95 is Holt Lake BBQ on US 301 in Smithfield, NC.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 15:18:40
Greg, wow, what a trip! You're right, it's all about the timing. The following are not too far from the highway -- assuming you are taking I-95:

In Wilmington, Delaware, Casapulla's for a sub (I like the Italian) -- it is reviewed here on Roadfood. It is best to call them and place an order ahead of time rather than show up and place your order when you walk in, you will get served quicker that way. Also, no place to eat onsite, so this is an "eat in the car" option.

In Maryland, Baltimore, Vaccaro's for Italian pastry -- http://www.vaccarospastry.com/. A bit further from the highway than the other listings.

In Maryland (not Baltimore), Saturday or Sunday only, 11:00am-3pm, for Dim Sum, Oriental East in Silver Spring -- http://www.orientaleast.com/. Not too far from I-495 (the beltway around DC). They actually serve dim sum 7 days a week, but Saturday and Sunday are the only days it is served from the rolling carts. It is best to get there before 11:00am -- people usually start lining up around 10:30am. I was there this Sunday and, as usual, it was packed and everything was great.

Also in Maryland (again, not Baltimore -- sorry!), for seafood, Crisfields in Silver Spring -- http://www.crisfieldseafoodrestaurant.com/. They are open for lunch and dinner Tuesday - Sunday.

Happy driving and eating!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 16:13:30
Wow ... the Casapulla's sub looks awesome ... the caption says the Italian comes without vinegar ... does that mean it will travel well, without having the bread disintegrate?

... looks better than even the best in the south end of Hartford.

Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 16:24:24
I got the large Italian, with prosciutto, no pickles, no peppers, no cheese. I could only eat half for dinner, so I saved the rest for breakfast the next day (!) -- I had a refrigerator in my hotel room. I thought it was fine the next morning.

I usually don't get an Italian sub outside of Italian delis on Long Island, or my own kitchen, because invariably I am disappointed. However, this was a great sub. I thought I would miss the vinegar, but I didn't and the sandwich probably held up better without it.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 17:09:11
Hi Gregg,

The burger place in Jacksonville is Stonewood Grill, here are other locations:

http://www.stonewoodgrill.com/locations.asp
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 17:52:08
Just a little off I-95 in the St. Augustine area you have the Murray Brothers Caddyshack...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28517
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:05:23
NC BBQ: Wilber's of Goldsboro. Accept no substitutes. Worth the brief foray from I-95.

http://wilbersbarbecue.com/

Orlando: The Kissimmee Steakhouse. I've enjoyed this non-touristy restaurant on each and every one of 10 or so trips to Orlando since the Reagan Admininstration. I "discovered it" thanks to enthusiastic written advice in a diary left at a vacation rental. God Bless that guy!

http://www.kissimmeesteakhouse.com/

Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:27:21
An excellent stop for barbeque is Moore's Barbeque, at exit 107 in Kenley, North Carolina. It is right off the interstate going east. The pulled pork is just wonderful and so are their sides. The fried chicken is terrific and I am sure the ribs are excellent as that seems to be what many of the locals are eating when we stop there. It is dirt cheap, with friendly people.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 18:45:29
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Wheregreggeats,
Do you mean Albany, Georgia; Albany, Indiana; Albany, Minnesota; or Albany, New York? -- Or New Albany, Mississippi?? (Tee hee.)
I'll interject something useful restaurantwise if I see I'm able to; otherwise, I'll just shut up and let everyone snicker at all the various Albanys I've turned up.
Not Albanian, Ort. Carlton, NOT in New Tirane But in Athens, Georgia-NOT-near-Turkey-nor-Armenia... (that's Tibisi).
P. S. There IS an Armenia Avenue in Tampa.
P. P. S. Each of the above Albanys is pronounced a trifle differently.
Greyghost
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:06:03
Dewey's diner on Fuller Road, Colonie, NY, actually just off it and adjacent to the larger Inga's diner on Fuller is the perfect place to begin your journey as I assume you will want a hearty and inexpensive breakfast to begin your journey and just might like walking into a time machine.

Time machine? Well that's my best description of it. Dewey's is an authentic very old diner which has never expanded or had any serious alterations or renovations. You will be greeted as a long lost family friend at the door and will be presented with a copy of the Times Union newspaper as soon as you sit down.

The fare is as authentic as the diner...old fashioned, hearty and made to order the old fashioned way. We are talking eggs done the way you want, omelets done in a real omelette pan, real home fries, endless free refills of coffee. You will not believe your bill and just may , believe you walked into a time machine because the bill will be just as retro as the diner.

My suggestion is to start your long journey right with a visit to Dewey's as it will nourish you well at a bargain price and put you into a good frame of mind for your adventure. It is also half a click away from all the interstate exchanges which is why all the truckers love it.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:28:02
quote:

Does anybody know how many states have free WiFi available at rest area?

This is the best resource for free wi-fi spots I have found: http://www.wififreespot.com/ It is pretty comprehensive, but I don't see very frequent updates. For that matter, I am also not supplying the webmaster with places that I know locally that have free wi-fi that aren't on his list, so I shouldn't complain. As for rest areas, I clicked on most of the states along the I-95 corridor and the only one that specifically mentioned the rest areas was New York. This list, though, may provide you with enough alternative options near the interstates.

quote:

I'm hoping to duck into PHILLY for a cheese steak ... anybody know where to get a superb soft pretzel, without adding hours to the trip?

In RICHMOND, I'm looking forward to another stop at Stewart's Fresh Catch:
http://www.stuartsfreshcatch.com/

I am a fan of City Center Pretzel, which is directly in south Philly - near the Italian Market area. So, if you are planning anything around there, then it will not add much time to your trip, but if I remember taking I-95 on this route, one does not exactly pass right through Philadelphia. So, if you are going there - no, it will not add much time otherwise. But, going through Philadelphia, in and of itself, may add some time.

I don't suppose you'd consider me talking you into Buz and Ned's BBQ in Richmond? It is easy on/easy off the highway, and they keep pretty friendly hours. You might leave your camera in the car!

quote:

In JACKSONVILLE, I guess I'll have to try Ellen and Chuck's burger joint ... I forget the name but it won't be hard to find. But, no guarantee I won't out of sheer habit do the Brickyard (haven't seen Little Karen in too long.)

I'll bet we veer into SAVANNAH.

You could likely do better than a burger for a top Roadfood meal in Jacksonville. I am partial to Clark's Fish Camp and Beach Road Chicken Dinners, but you can find a bunch of suggestions in buffetbuster's recently completed Florida trip report.

For Savannah, I am a fan of The Crab Shack on Tybee Island. Savannah is not an easy on/off the highway, so you need to go there to go there. If you are going to do that, then the drive to Tybee is not that bad.

The only other place that I might suggest that doesn't meet any of your requests is Mastoris Diner in Bordentown, NJ. It may be more convenient than a stop off in Philadelphia, or you may decide that Albany-Philadelphia requires a stop along the way for a nosh???
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:40:45
Wheregreggeats,
The only thing I can add is that if you pass by Weldon, North Carolina (U. S. 158 exit to Roanoke Rapids), you'll find Ralph's BBQ. This is a Roadfoodworthy stop.
If you choose to spend the night in Tybee, go to The Breakfast Club in the morning.
You've been given some excellent suggestions. Let us know what you find along your way. My parts hereabouts are WAY off your route, unless you're by here on Thursday and are awfully hungry for some chicken mull.
Athenianly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/17 19:50:12
Another great little roadfood breakfast spot in Albany is Peaches Cafe

Definetely my favorite breakfast place in Albany...

[url]www.peachescafe.net[/url]
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 06:24:57
Y'all are doing great.

Thanks.

wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 06:29:54
quote:
Originally posted by John A

Hi Gregg,

The burger place in Jacksonville is Stonewood Grill, here are other locations:

http://www.stonewoodgrill.com/locations.asp

I didn't realize it was a dinner only place -- or that they have one in Orlando.

I'll save the Stonewood experience for Orlando.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 07:34:58
Greg:

Are you taking I95 to Daytona Beach, and then I4 to Orlando?

When are you going?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 08:27:29
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Greg:

Are you taking I95 to Daytona Beach, and then I4 to Orlando?

When are you going?

Hi Don ...

I-95 to I-4 and then Streets and Trips has this surprise:

... happy to avoid 4, for sure.

Timing: Uncertain. Totally uncertain.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 10:58:21
We like Ralph's BBQ in Weldon, NC. Besides good, not great, BBQ, the service is excellent, and its within sight of the exit ramp from I-95 - glad Ort reminded us of this place.

The last time we were on I-4 we crossed all the way from the Atlantic to the Gulf on it and it was a total horror - it made us wish for the peaceful driving on Rt 17 in north Jersey, or the old 19 on Florida's west coast.

Once again I'll urge fellow roadfooders travelling I-95 to try Don's Famous Lexington Style BBQ in Pooler, GA. This is a small joint housed in what looks like an old Dairy Queen that serves excellent chopped pork sandwiches and perfect swee-tea. It is less than a mile off I-95. BTW: Pooler is a place worth exploring sometime - in the past few years about ten BBQ's have sprouted up there - we've tried three - Don's was best of the three.

Unless you specifically want to visit Baltimore and Washington there is no need to put up with that insane traffic. We always pick up 301 near Wilmington and take it all the way down to the Richmond area . This also gives us a chance to visit one of our favorite lunchrooms in Hanover Va., the Houndstooth Cafe. Everything is good here, especially the desserts, and they serve a thinly sliced pork BBQ that is delicious - actually, it is not BBQ - it is slow roasted overnight in an electric contraption of some kind - no smoke involved.

Cheers, John
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 11:13:00
Greg - Try to stop at the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop for either breakfast or lunch when you hit Jacksonville on the other side of the town..Heading South. There is one location just 5 minutes off I-95. I think you will love this place. Pure roadfood.com!!!!

Do a search for it on yahoo and check out the reviews (all 2008's) on citysearch.com. Roadfoodies..this is a good one when you are driving through Jacksonville. I have been touting this place ever since a chowhounder turned me on to it years ago. Careful..Strange operating hours. You have to try the hot relish in their dining room..Powerful and wonderful!

I did not like Wilbur's at all in Goldsboro, NC and it's very famous! Besides, you are too far from I-95 for that one. Much too far east of I-95.

There's one right off the I-95 in NC..Maybe called Moore's? Be careful in NC..Most places are closed on Sundays in the Bible Belt.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 11:22:16
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

I did not like Wilbur's at all in Goldsboro and you are too far from I-95 for that one anyway. Much too far east of I-95.

I got to disagree.

Wilbur's is definetely worth the detour off I95.

Those who aren't familiar with Eastern Style NC BBQ will not like Wilburs.
GB944
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 15:06:02
Well, Gregg, I would heartily recommend The Brickyard in Daytona for great burgers and wings, but I found out about it from your website...

I guess what comes around goes around!

waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 15:55:29
I always stop at the Dog House in New Castle,DE. I is just over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Walt
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 19:36:17
Wandering..Yeah..Count me as one who was unfamiliar with Eastern NC "Q"and does not like straight vinegar with hot pepper flakes and NO SUGAR. I happen to love vinegar, but it has to have some sugar for me....Wilbur's was straight vinegar! Talk about an acquired taste. I could not believe how bad it tasted to me....Great hush puppies though. Best I've ever had. I thought it was a haul off the Interstate...If my memory serves me correctly. Hey, Greg can take a joke. If he does not like straight vinegar, he will not be happy.

The accents in that restaurant were not to be believed! Living in Florida, you get this false sense you are actually living in the South..Bull Sh-t. NC is the South! The Southern accents in that restaurant were amazing. With my NYC accent, they must have been laughing their asses off in the kitchen.

Ah..Kenly, NC..Wandering..do you know the exit? There's a "Q" restaurant, a small place, just east of the exit on the south side of the road. Just two minutes from the Interstate..Why not send Greg there instead? Not open on Sundays though. It's called Moore's. It is supposed to be good.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 20:20:21
Do I have the wrong Moore's in mind? It was a very large place serving whole hog on a buffet someplace east of I-95, where you paid one low price and ate all you wanted... the pig had been pretty well picked over by the time we arrived, so we were not particularly enamored of the joint. And, yes, I I'm a real fan of the hot vinegar sauce in eastern NC.

Cheers, John
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/18 20:24:16
There are two Moores...............not related. The one in Kenley exit 107 is right off 1-95 You can see it from the highway. They do not serve buffet and their food is wonderful.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 01:46:07
Yeah Greymo..That's the one I'm talking about. I literally planned my trip so we would hit it at 1:30 PM for lunch coming from NJ. Got there only to find out it was closed...Sunday!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 02:45:07
South of The Border!!!!(ha)
cavandre
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 06:59:50
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Isn't it required that you stop there & have your passport stamped?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 07:24:13
I am pretty psyched ... I have every suggestion highlighted on the Streets and Trips map.

I gotta say, I am confused about NC BBQ after reading varying reports.

How about South Carolina ???
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 08:30:22
quote:

It's actually quite simple. Eastern NC BBQ doesn't have sugar in their sauce- just vinegar and pepper flakes.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 08:33:31
quote:

Wandering..Yeah..Count me as one who was unfamiliar with Eastern NC "Q"and does not like straight vinegar with hot pepper flakes and NO SUGAR. I happen to love vinegar, but it has to have some sugar for me....Wilbur's was straight vinegar! Talk about an acquired taste. I could not believe how bad it tasted to me....Great hush puppies though. Best I've ever had. I thought it was a haul off the Interstate...If my memory serves me correctly. Hey, Greg can take a joke. If he does not like straight vinegar, he will not be happy.

The accents in that restaurant were not to be believed! Living in Florida, you get this false sense you are actually living in the South..Bull Sh-t. NC is the South! The Southern accents in that restaurant were amazing. With my NYC accent, they must have been laughing their asses off in the kitchen.

Ah..Kenly, NC..Wandering..do you know the exit? There's a "Q" restaurant, a small place, just east of the exit on the south side of the road. Just two minutes from the Interstate..Why not send Greg there instead? Not open on Sundays though. It's called Moore's. It is supposed to be good.

I've never had sugar in eastern NC sauce, I must have been to at least 1/2 a dozen places that serve it and there has never been sugar in it- ever....If you see recipes on the web listing sugar as an ingredient, then it's wrong.

BTW, you probably wouldn't like Alabama White Sauce and Western Kentucky Black Dip- no sugar in their sauce too...Not every regional style of bbq sauce has sugar in int.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 08:41:51
As for South Carolina, The Summerton Diner is very conveniently located right off of I-95 and has really good food. I definitely recommend it. Here is the Roadfood review.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1865&RefID=1793

But if I was making the drive and it was a Friday or Saturday, I would make the detour to Sweatman's in Holly Hill, which has to be one of the very best bbq places in South Carolina.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 08:43:57
To be more clear, I am confused about where to eat in NC ... having heard so many varying reports about the same places.

And in SC, I'd be interested to hear a few more restaurant recommendations.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 09:11:09
My wife tells me we went to a whole hog place in or near New Bern, NC quite a few years ago and she thinks the name may have been Moore's - I'm inclined to agree with her now that my memory has been jogged. I'm sorry to learn that Gregg is confused about NC BBQ -east or west it is all good -you'll find more whole hog and vinegar in the east, and shoulders and red sauce in the west.

BTW: If you decide to get some BBQ in Wilson, be sure to take some time to visit the "Whirleygig Man", Vollis Simpson, not far away near Lucama, just of 301 - this is a wonderful place that'll give you easily an hour's (or all day's) worth of entertainment. I'm not sure if he's still alive, he was 80 something and vigorous when we visited him in 1999.

Look for a mustard based sauce in SC when you get BBQ there - like the vinegar sauce in eastern NC ,it is an acquired taste, and very good in its own right.

Cheers, John
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 09:14:29
quote:

To be more clear, I am confused about where to eat in NC ... having heard so many varying reports about the same places.

And in SC, I'd be interested to hear a few more restaurant recommendations.

My parents retired to Kinston, NC in the early 80's (and left in the early 90's!). I visited them a few times in Kinston -- I-95 to Rt. 70 east -- so I had a chance to eat at a few restaurants in the area.

It has been a few years, but K&W Cafeteria -- http://www.kwcafeterias.com/NClocations.html -- was always one of their favorites and one of mine. For a group of transplanted New Yorkers it was a good introduction to many Southern specialties. I remember the food being good, fresh and inexpensive, and the cafeteria itself being a very pleasant dining experience. I believe the one we used to go to was in Goldsboro.

For my 2 cents on Wilber's, I ate there once. I am not a fan of that type of BBQ, so I don't know if Wilber's is good or not -- to each his/her own.

And yes, Baah Ben, there are some serious Southern accents in N.C. My mom and I were driving to Atlantic Beach once and I got lost. I stopped at a gas station in a very small town and asked for directions. I'm not sure if the man I spoke to understood me, but I know I did not understand a word he said. I smiled and nodded, got back in my car, and kept driving!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 13:42:13
quote:

My parents retired to Kinston, NC in the early 80's (and left in the early 90's!). I visited them a few times in Kinston -- I-95 to Rt. 70 east -- so I had a chance to eat at a few restaurants in the area.

It has been a few years, but K&W Cafeteria -- http://www.kwcafeterias.com/NClocations.html -- was always one of their favorites and one of mine. For a group of transplanted New Yorkers it was a good introduction to many Southern specialties. I remember the food being good, fresh and inexpensive, and the cafeteria itself being a very pleasant dining experience. I believe the one we used to go to was in Goldsboro.

I clicked the link ... didn't see on in Kinston ... anyone see one that would be near 95?
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 14:01:57
I think the closest K&W to Kinston was in Goldsboro, in a shopping mall. I think that may be the closest one to I-95.
Grillnut
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 15:48:12
Since you're helping with a move, this probably won't be feasible for you, but if I were taking the car to Orlando from anywhere in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic, I'd drive to Lorton, Virginia and take the AutoTrain. It's a lot more restful than driving and the food in the first class sleeper cars is pretty good. It isn't a cheap ride, though, and trying to save some $$$ by traveling in coach isn't worth it. The food in coach sucks, and trying to sleep sitting up can be difficult and uncomfortable. You can still hit great roadfood stops on your way to Virginia and down in Florida, and the train will get you there in roughly 18 hours.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/19 16:52:23
Ivy - My cousins still live in Kinston; going on 60 years. They use to own the Samsons Shirt Factory there in the 50's and 60's. Kinston has a BBQ place, too. I believe it's called King's and it is supposed to be pretty good. But, Kinston is at least 40 miles east of I-95.

Wandering..I have since come to understand that NC vinegar based sauce does not have any sugar in it. What I said was I can't take it straight (vinegar) on "Q" and that I needed some sugar. It is too sharp for me and ruined the meat at Wilbur's for me. I really was taken back at the taste when I put it on the meat.

Actually, I do like Big Bob Gibson's white sauce. It is smoother because of the mayo and I liked it, but not as much as the other more conventional sauces they had out on the table at Big Bob's. Great "Q" place..Ranks Number 3 on my all time list. Really good ribs.

I had a so called version of NC vinegar based sauce in Delray at a BBQ joint that had added sugar and hot pepper flakes to it. I loved it..Hot, sharp and sweet. Right off I-95 (isn't every place)..Sorry, I cannot remember the name. It was very good. They had two stores.

I've been to Sweatman's..It's whole hog "Q" There's plenty of reports on the place. Holly Hill, SC. Only open 2-3 days a week. Fri and Sat for sure..

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/20 09:03:19
quote:

Wandering..I have since come to understand that NC vinegar based sauce does not have any sugar in it. What I said was I can't take it straight (vinegar) on "Q" and that I needed some sugar. It is too sharp for me and ruined the meat at Wilbur's for me. I really was taken back at the taste when I put it on the meat.

Actually, I do like Big Bob Gibson's white sauce. It is smoother because of the mayo and I liked it, but not as much as the other more conventional sauces they had out on the table at Big Bob's. Great "Q" place..Ranks Number 3 on my all time list. Really good ribs.

yes, I liked Big Bob Gibson's too. I had the bbq chicken along with the white sauce, although the waitress there told me she puts it on the pork too. If you ever make it to Kentucky and have the chance to try mutton bbq try the black dip or "sheep dip" as Al-The Mayor calls it. It's a dark worcestershire based sauce
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/20 09:05:07
quote:

I clicked the link ... didn't see on in Kinston ... anyone see one that would be near 95?

The K&W in Rocky Mount is about 5 miles off I-95 on US Bypass 301 via NC 43 East (Exit 141, Dortches, NC). This is also the exit for Smith's Red & White Market, renowned for their fresh made sausage, BBQ and baked goods. Stop in and fill your cooler.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/21 05:26:25
quote:

I am pretty psyched ... I have every suggestion highlighted on the Streets and Trips map.

How about South Carolina ???

Greg, here is someone's take on South Carolina BBQ geography:

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/21 08:37:01
MiamiDon - that is really interesting. I am trying to remember the sauce they had at the Pink Pig just outside of Charleston..I seem to recall it was Lyon's, SC. Maybe SR 17? The owner made it to one of the gourmet magazines. But in the center of SC, mustard sauce at Mo B's Piggy Park in Columbia off I-26 for sure! Ever have it? It's an acquired taste. You can order it right from him. It's ok. Very, very strong. I don't recall what I had at Sweatman's. But, just like your map shows, in Northwestern SC we had the tomato based sauce (Greenville). Tomato vs ketchup? I wouldn't know the difference.

That's a great little map! In Jim Early's book on North Carolina, right in the front they have a map of that state and he's highlighted each and every "Q" place; not the differences in the sauces. There were over 200 BBQ places in North Carolina at the time this book was done. My edition is a second printing - 2003. I wonder how many BBQ places South Carolina has. Probably the SC Restaurant Association knows...

If anyone wants the NC book, I think you can order it from him - James H. Early, Jr., 1320 Westgatge Center drive, Winston-Salem, NC 27103. Incidently, he devotes a lot of time to discussing the Skylight Inn in Ayden. Greg, you might want to check this one out on your way down..Pretty famous.

Seafarer John..The place is called Moore's in New Bern and is discussed in Jim Early's book, too.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/21 09:01:35
quote:

I don't recall what I had at Sweatman's.

I didn't have a chance to try Sweatmans because of my flight delays earlier this year, but they're supposed to have a mustard based sauce.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/21 09:24:36
quote:

Ivy - My cousins still live in Kinston; going on 60 years. They use to own the Samsons Shirt Factory there in the 50's and 60's. Kinston has a BBQ place, too. I believe it's called King's and it is supposed to be pretty good. But, Kinston is at least 40 miles east of I-95...

Baah Ben, my dad passed away in 1991 and my mom left Kinston and returned to NY a year later. They enjoyed living in Kinston and had wonderful friends and neighbors, but my mom was always homesick for her family and Long Island.

I don't recall eating at King's. But I do remember that the first time I ate at Bojangle's was in Kinston. I know it is a fast food chain, but I did like their biscuits (sausage, chicken).
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/21 10:10:06
Speaking of mustard sauce on BBQ: We went to one of the BBQ joints south of Central in St Petersburg a few years ago and I had a nice pork sandwich on white bread - except I'm not all that happy with the white bread idea - it totally dissolves in the mustard sauce. My wife had a "rib sandwich". Her sandwich was a half dozen ribs complete with bones, slathered with the mustard sauce, between two slices of white bread - impossible to eat as a sandwich! I've mention this encounter with several natives of the "SC mustard Sauce Belt" and they seemed not surprised at all, so I guess that's a standard BBQ rib sandwich in that area.

Cheers, John
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/22 08:39:45
Day Two ... I am south of Richmond and should be able to find some breakfast.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/22 09:05:16
White Castle (the best!) and Pat's...Can't wait to hear your review on Pat's. Hot dog looks great! Thanks for the pictures....Hope you avoided the snow.

Ivy - According to this NC BBQ book, Kings in Kinston is supposed to seat 800 people! Get this..they are supposed to serve 8000 lbs of BBQ pork a week, 6000 lb of chicken a week and 1500 pounds of collards a week! Obviously they msut get people from all over the area because I think Kinston ahs like 50,000 people.

The author goes on to say that the bbq is cooked "electrically" on a BBQ Slave? That must be some sort of brand - JohnA, do you know if they are referring to a smoker like you have? Not that small, but maybe there are big electric smokers? The only ones I know of are made out of Oklahoma City and Delfield use to have a smoking cabinet. You'd slide in the wood chips and along the walls of the s/s cabinet were electric rods. Maybe you know this brand?

But then the author goes on to say referring to that meat "and is mixed with barbecue that is smoked" Huh? Very confusing..
He also says in the very next paragraph that the medium chop meat is sauced in the kitchen. But the sauce is vinegar based so he did not make a mistake and leave off the word "sauce" in the previous paragraph. So, is it possible they are mixing bbq meat they did in an electric smoker with bbq meat they did on say a wood or charcoal cooker? I have no idea. Very strange. I will e-mail him. I have talked to him once before. Nice guy.

Perhaps there is some advantage for combining both types of cookers since they arwe serving so much meat each week. Maybe an electic smoker cooks faster? Maybe there is less shrinkage. It will be interesting to find out, if they are using two processes, why?

The author went on to say it is all hand chopped. They use the vinegar based sauce with hot peppers..no sugar. They have a website kingsbbq.com Can you imagine..an 800 seat restaurant in a little town like Kinston. I'll check out the website..Report back.

Well, in one of the old photos, they show one of those low rectangle smokers that you lift up the cover...That's one I saw in Hickory, NC a while ago. Hey, maybe that's one they still have on premises? That would explain it. I e-mailed Kings and maybe they will explain what Jim Early has said in his book.

This gets more interesting. If you go on Yahoo I found a site www.kingsbbq.com/kingsbbq.wmv and they have a sort of infomercial where they are advertsing all their menu items.

I feel like John Fox who always gets to the bottom of a question regarding hot dogs! When I get the answer, I will start a new post on electric smoking vs wood, etc. Sorry Greg that I've digressed here. Heard Kinston, NC mentioned and got carried away.
cavandre
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/22 09:13:29
WC on a plate! Mine usually disappear right out of the paper.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/22 10:14:17
Stuarts is definetely a place on my list the next time I visit Richmond but.............

Pats???!!!" /> ouch!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 04:36:47
"LLC" on Sweatman's sign. I know Bub Sweatman passed away several years ago. There was some concern if the place was going to continue. I believe a family member stepped forward. It's been 4 years since I was there. I don't remember the cole slaw or white bread or pickles.

I remember steam table pans of "outside" meat, "inside" meat, ribs, skin (they had this sign "Not responsible for running out of skin"), hash (an acquired taste IMHO)and banana pudding (extra) and sweet tea. It was a cafeteria line at the time we were there. I believe we paid $5.95 or $6.95 take all you want. I think the tea was included..Not sure. It was an experience.

Greg - Hoping to hear what you thought about Pat's and Sweatman's. Have they built anymore commercial stuff out there near Sweatman's or is it still all farm country? Did you have any trouble finding the place?

Grillnut - My wife took the auto train from Virginia all the way to Sanford, Fl. She loved it. They had to pull the car carriers recently and reinforce them...They may be back in action already.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 14:03:22
quote:

Glad to know the soft pretzel place was just around the block ...

A close up of the door ...

: Strike One ...

I would like to fall on the sword here. It was I who recommended Center City Pretzel (even though I think I wrote City Center) to you.

But, honestly, you should have known better.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 17:10:04
Wow, looks like you guys are eating your way to Orlando. Pictures look real good Gregg.

"The author goes on to say that the bbq is cooked "electrically" on a BBQ Slave? That must be some sort of brand - JohnA, do you know if they are referring to a smoker like you have? Not that small, but maybe there are big electric smokers? "

The two biggest players I'm aware of in commercial electric smokers are Cookshack and Southern Pride. I think they dominate that market. I have no idea what he means by a BBQ slave???
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 17:19:21
quote:
Originally posted by cavandre
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard
Isn't it required that you stop there & have your passport stamped?

Cavandre,
Not so much that as to pick up some of that mind-warpingly hot Blenheim Old # 3 Ginger Ale. It'll warm your innards in a cold day, and such things DO occur in the South....
Aleing What Cures You, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. We don't require passposts any more for admission, but watch your speed in South Carolina... some jurisdictions delight in writing speeding tickets for ONE MILE over the posted limit... even to locals.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 17:27:04
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse
quote:
And yes, Baah Ben, there are some serious Southern accents in N.C. My mom and I were driving to Atlantic Beach once and I got lost. I stopped at a gas station in a very small town and asked for directions. I'm not sure if the man I spoke to understood me, but I know I did not understand a word he said. I smiled and nodded, got back in my car, and kept driving!

Ivyhouse,
Those people out in the Outer Banks speak an almost Elizabethan dialect. (My friend Elizabeth, whose people are from far-inland Pitt County, can almost understand it. Tee hee.)
By the way, if you think THAT'S an accent, you ought to hear those in the so-called "neck counties" of Virginia, east of Richmond. It's isolated out there -- physically as well as linguistically -- and those folks speak as if The Boston Tea Party was a recent memory....
Accentrically, Ort. Carlton in Drawling, Sprawling Athens, Georgia.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 17:35:44
wheregreggeats,
Keep those fabulous trip reports and GREAT photos coming! I can't wait to have the rest of the journey unfold.
If you hit any thrift stores and find any 45 records by Lothar & The Hand People, think of me.
Succinctly, Ort. Carlton in Athens Regional Library For Today (U. Ga. is closed [insert frown face]).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/23 21:17:40
I remember Lothar and the Hand People!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: I'm Driving from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/25 10:16:12
Trip Report:
http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31721