Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2008/11/25 09:56:13 (permalink)

Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ...

To follow up from my "Where to Eat?" thread:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31572

PREQUEL

Started out from Massachusetts and headed to Albany to start the journey ...

I can't pass Teo's in Pittsfield, Massachusetts for some small Troy-style dogs (with a Ginny Cream) ...

Stopped to see a friend on the way to Albany ...

The snow making at Jiminy Peak ...

My friend and her daughter out for a drink in Albany ...

DAY ONE

Drove so far as Clifton, NJ ... drove by the house I lived in until I was about 10 ...

I might have had a little trouble finding the house, but when it comes to something important ...

Into PA for a cheese steak ...

No need to worry about getting a good parking place (we're the black Expolorer) ...

Cheese wit' provolone and an authentic with Wiz ... My favorite was the one with the wiz ...

Glad to know the soft pretzel place was just around the block ...

A close up of the door ...

: Strike One ... Today is Friday, I anticipate more strikes on Sunday down south.

The number one place I've been suggesting to the Sterns is STUART'S FRESH CATCH in
Richmond. Got there late ...

Warren, the owner doing what he does best (and better than most fry masters anywhere) ...

Dinner ...

And now "I've got the tee shirt."

DAY TWO

Virginia ...

Holt Lake BBQ ...

Nice piece of fried chicken and good moist meat ...

The vinegar sauce in front of katchup, tarter and cocktail ...

Pretty much vinegar and pepper flakes ...

The sauce they use at Holly Lake is this off the shelf brand ...

Certainly no sugar ...

They didn't even list pepper as an ingredient ...

... it was a bargain at $2.50.

Not the easiest place to find ...

After navigating their very full steam table of all kinds of pig parts ...

... the meat was succulent and the mustard sauce was superb. At all you can eat for $9.95,
this is one of the best bets out there.

I am still an awkward food photo taker ... I don't enjoy the attention it engenders ... but, in honor
of Ellen, I am trying to get better. Neither food foto does justice to the colors and glistening
textures of the food.

Oh, of the two BBQ's today ... my friend preferred Holly Lake with the Vinegar sauce ... I liked the
variety of pig pieces and the yellow sauce at Sweatman's-- just as much as I enjoyed Holly Lake.
Both excellent in their own ways.

Starting out on DAY THREE ...

A Roadside Diversion ...

... I forget where. Someplace in in SC or GA.

Fully expecting a disappointment (a Strike Two) we pulled up to the renowned Georgia Pig ...
expecting it to be closed on Sunday, it was actually opening at 11:00. We were the first customers ...

Chopped beef, chopped pork and ribs .... in the picture, the ribs kind of cover the chopped meat,
which was succulent and covered in a delightful red sauce that they served warm. Ribs gave up
the meat with the right amount of resistance. Superb ...

... I'm always wary of being the first customer of the day, as many places aren't in full swing,
or are trying to get rid of yesterday's leftovers. Not the case here. This was pretty much
perfection.

They had a sign that said GA LAW prohibits the bringing outside of paper towel racks or sauce
bottles ... they gave us napkins and a nice ramakin of warm sauce, so no problem.

GA LAW ????

Florida ...

Visited friends in Jacksonville. Had a round of my world-famous Bloody Marys. (Sadly, not pictured)
... down 95 for a ways, and onto A1A (following the path from a few weeks ago on the Bluemaxx
adventure) ...

... pulled off into a turnout along A1A ... got out to take a picture ... cop wanted to give us a
ticket for illegal parking (despite still running car, with driver behind wheel ... I was the
passenger!)

And, in time for the last day of The Oyster Pub's $5 a dozen special ...

First dozen. Lightly steamed ...

Second dozen. Raw ...

And there was a third dozen, again lightly steamed, but I don't want to bore you.

$15, plus drinks and tip.

STILL EATING ... DAY FOUR

The Brickyard. Grilled wings ...

A split burger and a Reuben ...

Today, Tuesday ... DAY FIVE

I'm off to Disney ... with someone who works there and says she can show me decent WDW food ...

21 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/25 10:58:54 (permalink)
    Great job Greg! Looking forward to more! We came across good food in Epcot at the Bistro in French Pavilion and in Downtown Disney at Cap'n Jacks. Good time of the year to go.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/25 11:13:01 (permalink)
    If your friend works at Disney, you may well be getting the annual "Christmas bonus" - free tickets, free popcorn and sodas in the parks, 40% off merchandise, 50% of dining. I have had the pleasure of doing this deal - for me, it makes everything at Disney about the right price. But, if you are with a cast member, they will likely show you the best Disney has to offer, food-wise.

Enjoy.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 07:43:16 (permalink)
    Employee deal is super.

Couldn't bring myself to eat anything at WDW ... wound up going off campus to The Pub in Davenport (just south of I-4 on 27) had Guinnesses fish and chips and bangers and mashed and the meal was superb.

My friend agrees that Cap'n Jacks and Bistro would have been excellent choices.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 08:18:15 (permalink)
    Great food, pictures, and report Gregg. Seems like the GA Pig is a love/hate place. Most posters do one or the other, I do not recall many in betweens.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 08:38:26 (permalink)
    Love this report...keep it coming...the Georgia Pig certainly has atmosphere!!!!!
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1632
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 09:11:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
    Couldn't bring myself to eat anything at WDW ... wound up going off campus to The Pub in Davenport (just south of I-4 on 27) had Guinnesses fish and chips and bangers and mashed and the meal was superb.

My friend agrees that Cap'n Jacks and Bistro would have been excellent choices.

I think you would have enjoyed the Raglan Road Pub in Downtown Disney. They always have a good selection of Irish & Brit. beers on tap & the food is quite good. There's traditional Irish music after 9pm. Also in Downtown is the Earl of Sandwich, which I think is the best value in WDW. Agree with the Bistro, but don't think Cap'n Jacks is as good as it was a few years ago. (We live about an hour from WDW & pop over when family & friends come to visit.)
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 10:35:44 (permalink)
    Glad you enjoyed Holt Lake BBQ. And you're right, Eastern Carolina BBQ Sauce doesn't get much more basic than a bottle of White House vinegar filled half way with red pepper flakes! They have good seafood as well, as the sign out front indicates. Don't know if the "mullets" refers to the catch of the day or the preferred hairstyle of much of the clientele, though. No disrespect intended to my many mullet-wearing NC relatives, of course.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 10:40:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Treetop Tom

Don't know if the "mullets" refers to the catch of the day or the preferred hairstyle of much of the clientele, though. No disrespect intended to my many mullet-wearing NC relatives, of course.

People still have mullets???

They went out of style in NYC back in 1983....Last one I saw was when I visited Pittsburgh 6 or 7 years ago.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 10:43:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cavandre

I think you would have enjoyed the Raglan Road Pub in Downtown Disney. They always have a good selection of Irish & Brit. beers on tap & the food is quite good. There's traditional Irish music after 9pm. Also in Downtown is the Earl of Sandwich, which I think is the best value in WDW. Agree with the Bistro, but don't think Cap'n Jacks is as good as it was a few years ago. (We live about an hour from WDW & pop over when family & friends come to visit.)

Didn't see Earl of Sandwich.

Did go to Raglan Road Pub ... 2 Guinnesses = $17.04 ... didn't dare look at the menu :) ... actually, wasn't hungry at that point.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 11:03:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Don't know if the "mullets" refers to the catch of the day or the preferred hairstyle of much of the clientele, though. No disrespect intended to my many mullet-wearing NC relatives, of course.

They went out of style in NYC back in 1983....Last one I saw was when I visited Pittsburgh 6 or 7 years ago.

You won't find as many, but you still see them at any large gathering of people, especially concerts. My wife's cousin has a "mud-flap" mullet that would make Billy Ray Cyrus weep. Actually, the striped or "jumping" mullet is actually pretty tasty and is a fall food specialty in NC. Most of them are used as baitfish but you can fry or grill them with a little sauce.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 13:00:08 (permalink)
    Gregg you did all three types of barbecue right in a row--the trifecta. Great trip report and nice pix!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 14:06:36 (permalink)
    quote:

Next visit through I'll show you some remaining mullet hold-outs in the NY area. They are still out there...especially on Long Island.

Great report Gregg. How do you keep from dozing off at the wheel after eating all those big meals on the road?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/26 14:12:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

Next visit through I'll show you some remaining mullet hold-outs in the NY area. They are still out there...especially on Long Island.

I'll have to see it to believe it...although the last time I was back on the Island, I did see some "George Clooney Ceasar Cut" hold outs circa 1997
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 06:22:31 (permalink)
    What a great trip. excellent story & pictures.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 08:38:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

What a great trip. excellent story & pictures.

But wait, it's not over yet!

He is still in Clermont (Orlando) munching away (after taking some wonderful pics, of course).
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 15:25:43 (permalink)
    What a cute report, Greg.... Fun and easy to read, with a nice mix of BBQ and scenery pics!
    I like the way you kept us up to date with the gas prices as you travel southward, and also the way you just did the thumbnail type size pics for the gas pics.

Thanks for the honorable mention, Gregg..!
    Eventually, what happened is my obsessiveness overtook any awkward feelings I had about taking pics of the food...!!!

And I got better at taking 3 or 4 "quick and to the point" close up food pics..
    got better at distances, angles, etc.., but still always learning and hopefully improving! (cause I know you guys don't want to see those blurry pics)

And I'm jealous! you went back to the Brickyard!

Looking forward to your next installment, Greg....
    You're going to DISNEYWORLD!!!

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1745
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 16:15:00 (permalink)
    Nice job as always, Gregg.....and fantastic photos!

If you don't get off 95 at Jacksonville or so and take A1A, you'd think you were still in Mass, or RI, or Ct or NY, or PA, etc. There's a lot of great roady holes in the wall still there all the way to Miami.

Found one once, a few years back, near Ormond Beach - a biker sort of bar. Forgot the name, but GREAT burgers and a lovely view: right on the beach!

Of course, that was only one of many and someday I might re-create the trip with pics now that I have a digital camera
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 17:30:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com
    ... The Pub in Davenport

wheregreggeats,
    Sounds like a most comfortable place.
    Softly, Well-Padded Ort. Carlton in Comfortable Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I have kin in Davenport, Florida. That town used to have an amazingly h-i-g-h water tank that you could see for miles in any direction... wonder if it's still there. My dad used it as a landmark; as we passed it on 17/92, he'd give the exact mileage to Grandma Carlton's house from memory.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 17:37:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:

Dearfolk,
    I tried wearing a mullet once, but after a few hours, it began smelling up the room
    Unpunctuatedly, Ort in
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 18:55:35 (permalink)
    Gregg - Nice range of food and photos...I really liked the variety! Gregg
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Gregg's Drive from Albany (NY) to Orlando ... 2008/11/29 21:47:14 (permalink)
    And your oysters really glistened!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1