2009 GLEE CLUB Memphis Meet-Up

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Filet Mignon
2008/11/26 18:29:03

Here are a number of hot links.  The first is the first message that begins the report of the various meet-ups.  Following are a number of links to various photo essays from different perspectives.

TRIP  REPORT BEGINS ON PAGE 13 AT MESSAGE NUMBER 373.

Mayor Al's comprehensive trip report

Buffetbuster's candid photos 

Buffetbuster's additional photos

ChiTownDiner's Day One - Thurs 2/12 (Part I)

ChiTownDiner's Day One (2/12) (Part II)

ChiTownDiner's Day Two - 2/13

ChiTownDiner's Day Two (2/13) (cont.)

wanderingjew's Part I

wanderingjew's Part II

wanderingjew's Part III

wanderingjew's Part IV

wanderingjew's Supplemental (Feb. 14)

The Travelin' Man - Part I (Feb. 14 - Memphis)

The Travelin' Man - Part II (Feb. 14 - Memphis - cont.)

The Travelin' Man - Part III (Feb. 15 - Paducah, KY)

Hear ye! Hear ye! With the blessing of Hizzonor The Mayor, this here thread shall serve as the planning/discussion point for the Official 2009 Meeting of the West Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Society.

Original plans had called for a trip to the low country in South Carolina and Georgia area. Unfortunately, it looks like that option needs to be punted for this year. Instead, the Executive Council (sounds good to me?) has suggested that we convene in the BBQ heaven of.....
Memphis, TN

Discussion will commence as to the viability of Memphis, and the selection of restaurant(s), and other cultural activities. There are no formal invitations coming - you are all invited (and most of you are welcome! ). It ain't Memphis in May, but it will be a ton of fun - and Memphis is a short drive from a good number of nearby cities. One caveat - Saturday is Valentine's Day. My personal motto is "nothing says 'I love you' like a big slab of ribs" - but, you will want to keep this in mind as you decide whether or not to leave the family behind - or, whether or not that new girl/guy is worth giving up Memphis BBQ!

Count my vote as the first enthusiastic "AYE!" I look forward to seeing ya'll in Memphis!
post edited by The Travelin Man - 2009/03/23 23:14:52
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 18:37:38
As someone who has been in Memphis twice in the last few months and is flying there again on Friday, this idea gets a huge thumbs up from me! If there is a better eating city in the USA, I don't know what it is.

Do you have a particular bbq restaurant in mind? My vote for best 'que would be Cozy Corner, but are they big enough to hold us all. Would they be willing to put up with us?

I can tell you that no matter where we go, I will be there!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 18:39:03

TTM,
Thanks for getting this started. We've been concerned that we might not be able to do a longer trip to a location "out-of-range" this year. Jan will have some surgery in December and will consume all of her available leave time during the 6 weeks that she will be off in December and January. That limits our travel to a normal weekend for a few months after. Memphis is a 6 hour ride for us, easy to do for the February weekend.

We will consider planning a Low Country visit next time, but count us in for Memphis this year!
AL
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 18:40:24
Count Jan & me in, too, and I'm going to see if my brother can join us. This will be great fun!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 19:15:17
Ironically I was just talking to The Travelin Manon the phone as he was writing this thread.

Altough I'm bummed that we're not heading to the Low Country this year, I'm elated because I've never met a plate of ribs I didn't like in the Bluff City.

I can't commit yet, it all depends on whether or not I can get a good deal on airfare.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 19:21:31
Barring any unforseen schedule changes , my hubby Paul & I would love to join The West Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Society 2009 President's Day Weekend Meet-Up in Memphis !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 19:23:18
Sundancer and Iwanago is in for the trip. Just give us the time and date and we will be there. I will book reservations in the Beale St. area with Marriott. I totally look forward to the trip.

I will treat Al to the burger place on Beale St. that cooks with very old oil. I am sure that he will appreciate that

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 19:48:43
If Tiki will make the trip again, I'll buy him a pint of Bigfoot!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/26 22:34:02

If Bushie will make the ride, I'll have a bottle of Buffalo Trace for him !!! Get your Hawaiian Shirts out of the Mothballs !!!
signman
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 11:49:16
Can someone please translate.
Rick F.
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 15:32:52
quote:
Originally posted by signman
Translate which? Everybody who's posted on this thread is a bit odd and often enigmatic, I think!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 16:33:33
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by signman
Translate which? Everybody who's posted on this thread is a bit odd and often enigmatic, I think!

Except the Sundancer and I am worse, I think.

Regardless, I am looking forward to Memphis.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 17:45:03
How many restaurants and days, Have to try
http://www.colettasrestaurant.com/
Know I will stop there before leaving or before anybody gets there.
Some of the best BBQ pizza, The King use to eat here and had it flown to wherever he was.
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 19:38:24
The official Glee Club meeting will convene Saturday morning at a yet-to-be-determined location. However, the night prior to that, I will be dining at Doe's in Greenville and would love to have others join me.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 19:47:50
Mr.Poverty Pete ... We've never met , but my husband Paul & I would love to join you at Doe's !
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:03:20
Lord have mercy-if I can make it to this wonderful meeting, I will.My Birthday is around this time frame....however, life may take me in a different direction.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:06:03
Miss Ann we must meet ! You,me & Miss Janet Bowen would have a blast just talking !
Rick F.
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:08:46
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples
Lord have mercy-if I can make it to this wonderful meeting, I will.My Birthday is around this time frame....however, life may take me in a different direction.
Hope to see you there, kiddo!
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:21:58
My hubby & I would love to meet you too Mr. Rick !
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:25:59
I am debating this trip.
I now have a job that pays well, and hopefully, I will be able to take that weekend off.
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:26:08
Ann, life needs to take you in a southerly direction.
iqdiva, Janet Bowen tells me you have nice table manners, but is unwilling to vouch for Paul. Can you assure me that he won't try to slip a tamale or two into his pocket while we're dining?
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:31:22
I don't know Mr.Pete ...We better keep an eye on my little Paul and those tamales !
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

The official Glee Club meeting will convene Saturday morning at a yet-to-be-determined location. However, the night prior to that, I will be dining at Doe's in Greenville and would love to have others join me.

Poverty if I make it down to Memphis (again contingent on cheap airfare) then I'll definetely join you at Doe's. TTM told me about his experience at Doe's and I was wondering when/how or if i would ever make it there, well considering it's so close to Memphis, I figure now would be my chance, oh I also would look forward to meeting iqdiva too.

Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 21:58:22
Dale, find a cheap flight into Nashville on Thursday night. Ride with me on Friday and through the weekend, and I'll get you back to Nashville airport Sunday afternoon.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 22:01:28
Likewise here Mr.Wanderingjew !
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 22:06:36
quote:

Dale, find a cheap flight into Nashville on Thursday night. Ride with me on Friday and through the weekend, and I'll get you back to Nashville airport Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the offer- that's a possibility. I'll keep a lookout for Nashville too.
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/27 22:23:52
My weekend itinerary looks like this:
Early Friday breakfast at Loveless Cafe, at the northern terminus of the Natchez Trace. A leisurely trip down the Trace, which may well be the most beautiful and historic road in all of America. Lunch in Greenwood, Ms., then dinner at Doe's. Up to Memphis for the weekend with bbq swimp, hopefully, mebbe some bbq pizza, ribs and great beer.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 00:21:00
OK which weekend are we going to use

13-15th (Valentines Day included)
or the next weekend
20-22nd

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 03:35:20
I'm having dinner at Doe's tonight!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 07:46:48
President's Day is part of the Valentines Day weekend according to my calendar, so it will be the 13-15th.

We can't do the Friday events, but definitely recommend your excursion to Doe's. We will meet up for the Noon meal in Memphis and be there thru Sunday afternoon.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 07:53:34
Goes to show everyone the diversity of this group. Beef, BBQ, and seafood.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 07:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

Will be cold to our standards, southerners, Not FL, enjoyble for you.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 07:57:17
Greenville, MS is another 150 mile hike from Memphis. That would be 550 miles for me in one day.

I would enjoy Doe's but that is a little much for me.

I do look forward to Memphis though.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 08:35:51
What happens with to much BBQ, in any given form. Never done that.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 08:37:10
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Greenville, MS is another 150 mile hike from Memphis. That would be 550 miles for me in one day.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Thats not a half days work. jUST JOKING 48miles in 12 hours big day for our crews. Glad I retired. Patience is a virtue.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 15:13:17
I have to admit, Poverty Pete's day to include Loveless Cafe and Doe's sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, I have to work on Friday morning, and the earliest I can duck out will be around 2 pm. From here, Memphis is about a 14-15 hour drive - which I could take through Mobile, where I could revisit The Brick Pit - but, I don't think I can make it in time for Doe's.

On the other hand, I have secured the Tuesday and Wednesday following Presidents' Day as vacation. Regardless of whether or not I drive or fly, I will be looking for some add-ons to the trip. I have not spent much time in Mississippi or Alabama, but I could also squeeze a trip out east to Nashville again, too!

We have one nominee for the "main meal" - Cozy Corner, with the caveat that it may not be large enough to hold a group of our size. Any other nominations? Corky's? Interstate? I have been to Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous, and I do suspect that they have plenty of seating, but since it is the one place I have been to in Memphis, I was maybe hoping for something else - but, I am a team player...so, if that is what we decide, I am in.

Glad to hear the positive responses, so far. Keep 'em coming. I may need to start a countdown clock on my office computer!
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 15:48:14
Personally, I believe we can do better than Corky's, Interstate and Rendezvous, but first, we have to get through breakfast/lunch. Colletta's would be good, but not open for breakfast.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 15:57:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

We have one nominee for the "main meal" - Cozy Corner, with the caveat that it may not be large enough to hold a group of our size. Any other nominations? Corky's? Interstate? I have been to Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous, and I do suspect that they have plenty of seating, but since it is the one place I have been to in Memphis, I was maybe hoping for something else - but, I am a team player...so, if that is what we decide, I am in.

I have no problem with Cozy Corner. If I recall I think it would definetely be big enough to hold a crowd...I wouldn't mind Neely's or Interstate too, but if I recall neither Al or Paul are fans.
I have "reservations" about the Rendezvous and Corky's is a freakin' Chain!" />
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 16:09:03
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I have no problem with Cozy Corner. If I recall I think it would definetely be big enough to hold a crowd...I wouldn't mind Neely's or Interstate too, but if I recall neither Al or Paul are fans.
I have "reservations" about the Rendezvous and Corky's is a freakin' Chain!" />

You are correct on Interstate but I have never been to Neely's. Rendevous is questionable. I believe they are sort of hit or miss. I hear so good and some bad.

I wish I was better acquainted with Memphis as I am sure there are many super places there.

I will definately do Beale St. on Saturday night. That is a fun place to go.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Rick F.
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 17:30:51
Here's today's review (edited) of a burger joint from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

============================================

the sandwich gets its due

By Jennifer Biggs
Friday, November 28, 2008

We've been discussing burgers on Whining & Dining and last week a blogger suggested we give the burgers at Ubee's a try. They're supposed to be fried in the same grease as Dyer's burgers, he wrote.

For the full Ubee's experience, try the Mid-term Meltdown patty melt accompanied by some of the best fries to be found.

The Ubee's Go-Go Granny Salad features Granny Smith apples, iceberg and Romaine greens, red onions, blue cheese, walnuts and dried cranberries.

I'd never given it much thought, but Ubee's is owned by Sandy Robertson, who also owns Dyer's on Beale, Alfred's and is the new owner of Automatic Slim's. So, sure, it seemed possible and after biting into one I'll say this: I don't know if we're dealing with legendary grease here, but Ubee's burger is certainly very close to Dyer's (though perhaps not quite as greasy). It's a thin patty, best served with cheese, mustard, onion and pickle -- yet I declare it inferior to its cousin, Ubee's excellent patty melt. Back to that.

Six sandwiches are on the menu, starting with a $3.99 Cheese Monster and going to the $4.99 Dirty Hippie; the rest are $6.99. You can also pick your bread, meat, cheese and all the toppings you want for $6.99. They'll ask if you want a slurp and a side for $2.25 and yes, you do. In particular, you want Ubee's fries.

These fries are as good as it gets. Hand-cut -- you can see a big bucket of them behind the counter -- served hot, some crisp, some softer, with a dash of seasoned salt. I tried them twice. Once they were long and light and the other time they were shorter, darker examples. They were equally delicious, and paired with the superb Mid-term Meltdown (the patty melt), it's a combo surely responsible for at least part of a Freshman 15 or two.

The Dirty Hippie, a garlic roasted portobello, roasted red pepper, feta and artichoke panino on ciabatta, probably isn't much healthier, but it and the patty melt were my favorite sandwiches.

You don't have to pack on the pounds eating at Ubee's, though. I've been a fan of the Go-Go Granny salad for a good while. It's a generous pile of greens topped with blue cheese, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples, walnuts, red onion, and cranberries. It comes with a honey-lime vinaigrette, which is much too tart for the already sprightly salad. I always request the balsamic vinaigrette instead, and will likely give the sweet Vidalia dressing a try next time. The I Heart U salad, with hearts of palm, tomato, bacon, and bleu cheese is another excellent choice.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 17:44:45
quote:

Personally, I believe we can do better than Corky's, Interstate and Rendezvous, but first, we have to get through breakfast/lunch. Colletta's would be good, but not open for breakfast.

How about throwing Leonard's BBQ and A & R BBQ into the mix? I haven't been to either of these places, but I'm sure Buffetbuster has. Perhaps he or others can provide some feetback.
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/28 20:59:05
Leonard's on Saturday night gets a big thumbs-up from me. It's good. It's really good!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 00:51:48
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Mr.Poverty Pete ... We've never met , but my husband Paul & I would love to join you at Doe's !

Be careful, Sweetheart. Poverty is pretty kinky...
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 00:54:47
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

If Bushie will make the ride, I'll have a bottle of Buffalo Trace for him !!! Get your Hawaiian Shirts out of the Mothballs !!!

Why, Mr. Mayor, I didn't know you cared...

I'll accept your Buffalo Trace, but the real incentive would be to see you again.

I'm planning to be there.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 01:53:29
If Bushie's coming, I better get my Hawaiian shirt pressed!
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 07:43:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I would enjoy Doe's but that is a little much for me.

I do look forward to Memphis though.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Have another suggestion, Breakfast Nashville, Lunch Hagy's Catfish Hotel,Dinner Memphis, includes short trip on the trace,64 west,lunch, and 64 to Memphis. returns you to I-40 before the split in Memphis.
Nice easy trip, until traffic in Memphis
http://www.catfishhotel.com/
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 09:04:57
quote:

Leonard's on Saturday night gets a big thumbs-up from me. It's good. It's really good!

Your'e not twisting my arm... I'm in too!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 09:14:30

I agree with the Leonard's BBQ Suggestion for Saturday Nite. After seeing the Report of BB's Visit to the Blue and White in Tunica, I would consider making an effort to start there Saturday at Noon for Lunch. (That Catfish Creole looked great) With lunch and dinner on Saturday arranged, that leaves us looking for a Bunch/Breakfast place for Sunday Morning. Something a bit restful and 'nice' without blowing the budget would be a good plan (IMHO). Does anyone know a place like Nashville's Ellendales in the Memphis area. Or perhaps one of the nicer hotels has a bunch open to the public?
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 09:16:29
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Be careful, Sweetheart. Poverty is pretty kinky...

Now Mr. Bushie ... I'm sure that Mr.Poverty Pete is a true gentleman .
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 11:29:45
That's right, Miss Susan. Don't you believe a word that comes out of the mouth of Mr. Bushie. He's just a bitter old man who doesn't get out much these days.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 11:33:32
Now , Now Mr.PP ...We must be gracious !
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 12:38:09
I understand civility Miss Susan, but is there no limit? Must we be gracious to those who choose (ugh) to live west of the Sabine river.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 13:13:24
LOL ... Mr.PP !
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 13:19:43
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I agree with the Leonard's BBQ Suggestion for Saturday Nite.

Well, The Mayor has spoken

"Make it Sew!"

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 13:26:08

It's nice to be the Mayor.
iqdiva
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 13:36:06
Mr.Al I am in complete agreement with your itinerary . It just sounds so delicious !
Poverty Pete
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 18:12:49
I'm still looking for a Sunday brunch comparable to Ellendale's, but for Saturday, I would like to suggest meeting at Cozy Corner for lunch rather than the place in Tunica.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 18:22:13
quote:

I'm still looking for a Sunday brunch comparable to Ellendale's, but for Saturday, I would like to suggest meeting at Cozy Corner for lunch rather than the place in Tunica.

That has my vote.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 19:38:39

Cozy Corner for Saturday Lunch and Leonard's for Saturday Dinner and Glee Club 'Meet'. Sunday Breakfast/Brunch still in the works. Start checking your Memphis Hotel/Motels soon. It is the Valentines Day/President's Day Weekend and many places will have weekend-getaway packages. We have to find a Pet-Friendly Place so the pups can attend!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: 2009 Presidents' Day Weekend Meet-Up Discussion 2008/11/29 23:59:57
quote:

He's just a bitter old man who doesn't get out much these days.

I'll have you know that I drove to the 7-11 just today. Bought some LSD. (little sugar donuts)
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11