Does anyone still eat QUICHE?

Cheeseburger
2008/12/01 19:27:53
Back in my professional chef days, I used to make a really good eating Quiche, if I can say so myself. I never see or hear of Quiche being on anybody's menu. Is Quiche still out there?

I would take a 9inch pie crust, and par-bake it (about 75% done). Then I would layer the bottom of the pie crust with a generous slathering of carmelized onions. (the bottom layer of carmelized onions would really make the quiche scrumptous). Then I would lay down a thin layer of shredded swiss & gruyere. Then I would add a layer of main ingredients, such as Ham & Asparagus tips, or Shrimp & Crab, you name it you got it. Then, I would top with shredded swiss & gruyere cheese, and pile it high over the main ingredients. To finish, I would whisk together a batter of whole eggs, heavy cream, a drop or two each of tabasco and worchestershire sauce, white pepper, salt. I would then pour the "batter" into the pie shell, allowing it to curve it's way through the cheese, and the main ingredients. I would garnish the top of the Quiche with fresh chopped parsley. Then I would put the pie crust on a sheet pan (or cookie sheet), and bake it "slow & low", about 275 until done.

After baking, they would cool and rest, perhaps putting them in the fridge. Then when a customer ordered Quiche, I would slice 1/6 of a pie, put it on a "sizzler plate", and put the slice in a convection oven 350, until that baby would rise and get golden brown. Then, I would lace a plate with an ounce or two of bechamel,
and place the Quiche on top, garnish with flowering kale and fresh berries.

So, does anyone still eat Quiche?

Here is a fresh veggie quiche....

susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 19:38:35
Sounds wonderful. But for me, not often.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 19:43:13
Hell, I would if I could find a well-prepared, decent-sized serving of Quiche Lorraine!

Since 1990 all I can find of that are tiny, dried-out portions of such.

What I seek is a replication of the "man-sized", fresh, hot, MOIST rendition of this fantastic dish that was ubiquitous in the otherwise unlamented "Carter years".

Where might one find such in the Dallas-Ft. Worth "Metroplex"?
iqdiva
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 20:06:23
This recipe is has a very humble background and is not an elegant quiche like the one that Tommy prepared but it is delicious ... I posted this recipe on another thread . It is not my recipe but the winning recipe in our 2008 National Peanut Festival Recipe Contest . The Southern lady who created this dish was one of ten children and learned to make our Southern biscuits when she was just six years old :

Peanut-Chicken Quiche
Ingredients for crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
One-half cup cocktail peanuts, chopped
One-half teaspoon salt
One-fourth teaspoon paprika
One-third cup peanut oil
Ingredients for filling:
1 cup sour cream
One-half cup chicken broth
One-fourth cup mayonnaise
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
One-half cup shredded cheddar cheese
One-fourth cup fresh onion, minced
One-fourth teaspoon dried dillweed
3 drops hot sauce
One-fourth cup cocktail peanuts, chopped

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Combine flour, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, one-half cup chopped cocktail peanuts, salt and paprika. Stir well and add peanut oil. Press on bottom and along sides of a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool completely (about 15 minutes).
Mix sour cream, broth,mayonnaise and eggs. Stir with whisk until smooth. Stir in chicken, one-half cup cheese, onion, dillweed and hot sauce. Pour into cooled crust and put peanuts on top. Bake for 55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and serve.

I hope that you all enjoy it !
RibRater
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 20:16:48
the spouse makes a drop dead delicious bacon and onion quiche for me from time to time. one fresh out of the oven and a bottle of tabasco sauce and stand back.

i'll tell her I need a fresh one to post some pics.

a good quiche needs meat...preferably bacon.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 20:39:58
There's a little place north of me in Georgetown, TX named Laurie's that regularly offers quiche on their lunch menu. I've always loved quiche, even though I'm a real man.

My first one, Quiche Lorraine, was served to me at Ebenezer's(now closed) in Springfield, MO in the 70's. It soon developed a reputation as "wimp food", but I always liked it.
RubyRose
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 22:20:17
Sure, I still make quiche. It's a good use of leftovers and can be made ahead and heated up later, which is great when I have a tiring day at work and don't feel like cooking. I made this mushroom, sausage and cheese one a few weeks ago.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 22:26:36
RubyRose - That quiche looks fantastic...and I love almost all flavors and combos of quiche. I am partial to a little meat as one of the ingredients.
Reaper
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 23:02:59
Seafood Quiche with Hollandaise sauce is my wife's favorite food.

I par bake my crust painted with egg yolk to waterproof it.

The filling is:
1 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1 cup of Swiss cheese
1 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups lightly steamed shrimp and king crab meat

Bake at 350 deg until you can insert a tooth pick and it comes out clean, about 50 minutes, let cool for 15 minutes

Seafood Quiche and Quiche Lorraine needs Hollandaise sauce:

3 egg yolks
1 tbls lemon juice
1 tps salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
12 tbls melted butter

Whisk together everything but butter over low heat until the egg yolks are glistening and foamy and you get glimpses of the pan as you whisk, remove from heat and add butter a little at a time in the beginning stirring constantly until all of the butter is incorporated.
If you need to reheat set pan in hot tap water.

Enjoy,

Mitch

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 23:05:46
Tommy B,
Lorraine does... just ask The B-52's.
Rocking Along Lobsterlessly, Ort. Carlton in The Musical Font That Is Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The last time I ate quiche was a couple of years ago. Right tasty as I remember it, but not really my bag, man.
Reaper
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 23:08:19
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Hell, I would if I could find a well-prepared, decent-sized serving of Quiche Lorraine!

Since 1990 all I can find of that are tiny, dried-out portions of such.

What I seek is a replication of the "man-sized", fresh, hot, MOIST rendition of this fantastic dish that was ubiquitous in the otherwise unlamented "Carter years".

Where might one find such in the Dallas-Ft. Worth "Metroplex"?

Make it yourself try my recipe sub the seafood with ham and spinach

Mitch
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/01 23:10:27
I never met a quiche I din't like. Quiche is my specialty.
Onion/broccoli is the most requested - but I will make whatever is requested.
If I am not familiar with the 'combination' requested I may ask for an extra day to try ut thw 'odd' request.

mar52
Sirloin
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 01:18:51
I like a good quiche. Don't eat it often because of the high everything content.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 01:24:53
Why not???????
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 02:40:06
Love it, one of the food I can get PP to eat most every time.
RibRater
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 06:11:47
That looks like a winner RubyRose!

WarToad
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 08:03:14
I still make and eat quiche, kids love it too. Deer sausage, spinich, with cheese is the common winter request at my house.
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 08:30:41
I've only had quiche once in my life, and it was this past Yom Kippur for break fast. It was a broccoli quiche and it was topped with breadcrumbs. It was very good.
FriedClamFanatic
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 08:48:11
I'm a cheater!

I make a "quiche", actually several, using a Bisquick-type recipe. They always get rave reviews.

Sausage(links) and Onion and Cheese - for breakfast or lunch
Apple Onion and Cheese - breakfast
Ham Broccoli and Cheese - Lunch
Ham Asparagus and Cheese - Lunch

They're easy, quick and pretty darn good. I use Jarlsberg Cheese and add some freshly grated Parmesan to the dry ingredients I also add a 1/2 tsp or so of Tumeric to the dry stuff to give it a little extra color.

Using pie crusts, I make an Apple and Cheddar (or Jarlsberg) pie for dinner, sometimes adding ground sausage to it, depending on who is here.
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 12:53:33
RubyRose....looks delicious, and I love sausage too.

Reaper, thank you for the recipe! Kind of you to share.

FriedClam....nothing wrong with a "Bisquick Shortcut" !!!
iqdiva
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 13:01:51
Now Mr.Tommy ...How 'bout my " Peanut Festival " Quiche ?
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 22:29:37
Iqdiva, I'm sorry I overlooked you!

Thank you for posting that winning recipe.

The recipe sounds like something my daughter would love to make.

I will make sure she gets the copy.

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/02 22:50:08
Real men don't eat quiche- but what do they know?
iqdiva
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 09:27:26
Tommy... That's all right darling !
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 09:38:10
I love when my wife makes a quiche..There's always some left over heavy cream for my morning cereal.

Whenever there's a hen party at our house, that quiche and a salad seem to appear.

Tommy & Ruby..EXCELLENT

Reaper..With holandaise sauce...Love it..Can someone please pass the Lipitore....
Fieldthistle
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 11:45:18
Hello All,
I am 53 yrs. old and must admit I have never
eaten quiche. When it was a fad, I had a mindset
that refused to go there. In addition, quiche
was never visually attractive to my eyes, and still
isn't. But I've matured and am eager to try it.
I don't think anyone serves it in my area anymore,
so perhaps I will make it myself. Thanks for
the thread. I like to be educated and grow.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
mbrookes
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 13:22:53
Since I can't have the crust anymore (gluten) I now make fritattas. Actually, I make it just like a quiche, with many of the combinations listed above, but no crust. It really is good and such an easy supper or lunch when you don't have to fool with a crust.
ThrashATL
Hamburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 13:34:29
Quiche was always a staple on our Christmas Eve menu when I was a kid.
soozycue520
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 19:54:45
I make quiche pretty often. I love it.

Asparagus Cheddar Quiche

Tommy B
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 20:28:09
Bravo Soozy! Looks Delish.......
mland520
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/03 20:55:08
Fieldthistle- if you are in the Dallas Metro area- there is a lunch only place that serves salads, sandwiches and quiche- every day is a different type of quiche. They are in Richardson and Addison- name is Cafe Max.
stricken_detective
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/05 12:47:07
I love quiche!
BelleReve
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/05 14:10:01
I like it and still make it but very basic, crumbled bacon, sliced onion, chunks of ham and cheese(Lorraine?). I like the idea of carmelizing the onions, what a good tip.
hatteras04
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/05 14:52:31
The was a restuarant in Bloomington, IN back the 70's and early 80s called the Tao. The cookbook from there (The Tao of Cooking) is regarded as one of the best vegetarian cookbooks of all time and is still in print I believe from Indiana University press. Anyways, they have several quiche recipes with the absolute best being the zuchini quiche.

1 pastry shell
2 TBSP oil
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cream
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper
1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Pre-bake the shell at 350 for 15 min with pie weight or foil and beans

Heat oil add garlic and onions and cook for 3-4 min.
Add zucchini and cook gently 5-8 minutes. Stir in flour.

Beat eggs in bowl. Add milk, cream, salt, pepper and blend well.

Stir in zucchini and cheeses.

Pour into pie shell bake in preheated 350 oven 40-45 minutes
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/05 15:13:19
BelleReve, thanks for posting. I always believed that the carmelized onion, layered directly onto the parbaked shell, was the secret to the "scrumptuous factor"

Hatteras thank you for posting the recipe !!!
geez70
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/06 19:08:23
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm quiche yummy
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2008/12/06 19:37:30
Frittatas are very good also; and a bit easier to make, IMO.
AndreaB
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/25 02:35:47
Hey Tommy B we made your crab quiche recipe tonight for Christmas Eve and it was great!  We served it with strawberries on the side.  The onions on the bottom were wonderful!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/25 09:03:50
I would if I could find a decent, generous one like they used to make back in the "fern bar" era of the '70's - '80's.

Hell, I'd even have a spinach salad and a glass of white wine with it!

The only place I know where quiche is dependently available is a Texas chain with outposts in NOLA, Atlanta, and WDC Metro: la Madeleine ( http://www.lamadeleine.com/ ) but their serving is puny, dry, and mostly crust; they must use "special eggs" that cost $3. @!  This place frustrates the Hell out of me with a menu and ambiance that makes my mouth water yet serves portions that make my stomach growl.  At least the unit whose premises I own pays their rent on time.
chefbuba
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/25 14:14:02
I used to make quiche at a couple of different places back in the 80's.
I used a spring form pan with puff pastry as the crust.
The base was the same for all, eggs, cream,bit of nutmeg, s&p, bit of flour and an appropriate cheese.
Dungeness crab & asparagus was always a winner, along with the classic Lorraine.
Spinach, bacon, potato & gruyerre was also a good seller.

I made five of them a while back for a friend to take to a brunch pot luck, she said it was one of the few things that ran out........
I think there are a lot of closet quiche eaters out there!
CLVdog
Hamburger
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/25 15:57:27
Quiche never went out of style in my home !!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/25 22:29:27
My Bride makes a Killer Crabmeat Quish! Been a  continous mainstay in our Compound. Never went out of style here. 
Cosmos
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/28 19:11:27
We do a couple three quiche a year. My wife make a good pie dough and my daughter loves it when we have it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2011/12/28 19:42:40
I've not had quiche in a number of years, but I used to love lobster and crab quiches. There's a place in Upper Arlington, Ohio, Easy Living, that used to have wonderful quiches for take-out. Football fans may have heard of the place if they watched any Ohio State games broadcast by Brent Musburger. He goes there every time he's in Columbus. The owner is a former kicker for Ohio State, Vlade Janakievski
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2012/01/01 12:18:46
I've had a Paula Deen recipe that used shredded hash browns for the crust very good. I'd eat the whole thing. I hate the word quiche though, so I call it an egg pie.
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
Re:Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2012/02/02 18:06:48
i make quiche pretty frequently when i visit my 93 year old grandmother. she mostly has a diet of candy, but she'll always eat for me, and quiche is a great way to get a bunch of veggies into her.  the best so far has been swiss chard from the garden with goat cheese
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2012/03/16 13:56:41
I'm no professional chef, nor do I aspire to be, but this is good slop:
12 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled (that's about a pound, or 2 ounces if you get it already cooked like I do)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz)
1/3 cup chopped onion (I like just a half teaspoon of jalapeno here, too, but you may not)
3/4 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 1/2  cups milk (here's a good place to mix some non fat dry and stick to a budget)
3  eggs
1/8  teaspoon pepper
1 Heat oven to 400°F. Grease 9-inch glass pie plate. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pie plate.
2 In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients until blended; pour into pie plate.
3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2012/03/16 16:45:29
Been thinking what to have this weekend. This thread has inspired me. Sunday it's Corned Beef Quish with leftover St. Pats day Corned Beef.
That's the beauty of Quish - You can put almost anything in it!
Don't think a Sardine or Anchovie Quish would work
Reaper
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone still eat QUICHE? 2012/03/16 16:58:34
Foodbme

Been thinking what to have this weekend. This thread has inspired me. Sunday it's Corned Beef Quish with leftover St. Pats day Corned Beef.
That's the beauty of Quish - You can put almost anything in it!
Don't think a Sardine or Anchovie Quish would work

Corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese quiche with a swiss cheese cream sauce sounds good to me!

Mitch