AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 103 of 110
Author
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1184
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/18 14:24:12 (permalink)
I do pretty much all my grocering at Eastgate Jungle Jim's any more. It is much less cramped, and unlike the local Kroger, they have stuff I want.

dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 247
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/20 19:32:28 (permalink)
Tried the newly-opened Lime Fresh Mexican Grill in the new UC "Loop" redevelopment sandwiched between Calhoun and McMillan streets tonight. It is obviously a chain, with a large presence in Florida and scattered stores elsewhere. It reminds me very much of the La Salsa chain that was here in the late 90's/early 00's.

Pros:
- Grilled and fried fish on the menu.
- Fresh salsa bar with 7-8 choices, including a rotating "seasonal" one (currently pineapple).
- Unlimited free chips.
- $2 tacos, $2 beers, and $3 sangria/margaritas Wednesday through Friday.

Cons:
- Noise level (from both the music and the college students).
- Indoor seating has been maximized at the expense of maneuverability.
- Very little standing room at the front "ordering counter". The line would begin spilling out the front doors after a dozen people at most.
- Food quality on par with Chipotle, Qdoba, and Moe's.

I should also note that none of the salsas are very spicy (even "medium" would be pushing it), but there is a rack of hot sauces (similar to Fire House Subs) that should address any heat needs. The unlimited free chips may or may not require a food order (there are staff walking around asking if they can bring you chips, refill your drink, etc.), so I would not be at all surprised to see those go away (or get scaled way back) at some point, since enterprising broke students could easily make a meal out of them at little to no cost.

The fried "Surfer" fish tacos were pretty good overall, lightly battered and just a little crispy, although the "cool cilantro sauce" is little more than a thin sour cream. The chips were cooked a bit unevenly, but there were far more crispy ones than slightly soggy/oily ones. There's nothing special about the place, but I would go back for the $2 beer/fish taco nights.

http://limefreshmexicangrill.com/
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/20 23:22:43 (permalink)
I went to the Swampwater Grill, which now occupies the space that was Kellogg Country house, and that grilled cheese place, inside the Antiques Mall on Kellogg Avenue.

I must say that, they had me at the appetizer.

They have a smoker outside, in the back of the parking lot.

The appetizer that thrilled me is smoked jalapenos, stuffed with cream & cheddar cheese, wrapped in bacon, beer-battered and deep fried.

They have a wonderful bean soup.

I had shrimp and grits, as well. The grits have roasted corn in them. The shrimp was blackened, and wonderful. The sauce that comes atop is a little heavy. It is a white creamy sauce. Very tasty, but different than I have had before.

The menu is a combination of BBQ and Cajun/Creole. Smoked meats and Jambalaya.

I love Eli's BBQ which is just down the street, but on Saturday, the wait for Eli's is an hour or more.

Swampwater Grill has a full bar, and interesting options. And, no hour long wait.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/23 14:46:01 (permalink)
I've mentioned Anderson Bar & Grill on here before in a positive light. They've closed for good. Seems like everything I like on Beechmont closes. Speaking of which, the building that was formally Maloney's and The Blarney Stone before that has been torn down. I hear there's going to be some sort of oil change place going in there.

Went back to Campbell's Barn over the weekend. Chicken was still very good, some of the best in the city IMHO. I thought when I first got it the skin was super crispy, and it wasn't when we went but it was still outstanding.

They do cheesesticks with pepperjack that are amazing. Instead of the thick batter a lot of places use, theirs is more flaky.

We also hit Mac & Joe's in Oxford and had another fantastic meal. Their burgers absolutely rock.

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/27 01:41:12 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
But it has no chiles. And by the way, chili without meat is still chili. It's just not chili con carne.

Among other things, the Cincinnati whatever-you-want-to-call-it recipe we make contains cayenne, ancho and paprika. It's very tasty.  I'm okay with calling it chili. I've never been a purist about such things, though.

Also: Hi everyone, long time no see and glad that this thread's still alive and kicking. :)  I was reminded of it on a recent trip to Straits of Malacca in Mason.  Highly recommended if you're curious about Malaysian food!  Somewhat confusingly, the restaurant has three sections: a fancy dining room and bar, both of which serve Asian/French fusion, and a more casual section (Tioman cafe) that specializes in more hawker stall foods. I enjoyed the fusion more than I thought I would (and that menu also has some more homestyle specialties well worth checking out, especially the lamb curry), but my favorite is the hawker stall section. We've been there twice in the past few months. :)

If you've never tried it, Malaysian food is sorta-kinda like Thai-- highly seasoned, lots of delicious snack-type things and noodle dishes. For appetizers, we liked the popiah (a sort of spring roll with lots of fresh vegetables and shrimp), lamb samosas and curry puffs. Char Kueh Teow is one of the classic hawker stall dishes and the restaurant did a decent version of it. Also good was the Hokkien Mee, and for people who prefer their food less spicy/seasoned, Kungfu Yin Yong was very, very good-- crispy deep-fried noodles, chicken, shrimp and bok choy in a rich, eggy sauce.  Nasi lemak is another classic: coconut rice, dried anchovies, hard-boiled egg and your choice of several types of  curries. Our choice is the beef rendang (a slow-simmered curry with coconut milk), a very difficult dish for restaurants to get right. They also do roast duck, chicken, pork and bbq pork for dining in or carry out. The roast duck was delicious, but the roast pork was DIVINE. Crackly skin and layers of fat... it's no wonder my cholesterol count was up at the last doctor's visit.

I apologize for gushing so much, but my parents are ex-pats who really miss the food. We're all hoping that this place does well! This is the closest thing to a Malaysian food court we've tried in ages. My parents much prefer it to Merlion in Columbus. The chef/owner is Malaysian and is very friendly and enthusiastic, with tons of ideas about the menu. If you go, try the Malaysian iced coffee or the tea tarik. :)

Straits of Malacca
202 W Main St, Mason, OH 45040
http://straitsmalacca.com/
(the casual section is easily entered via the patio door off the parking lot)

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/29 00:05:46 (permalink)
We did the Swampwater Grill thing tonight. I'd been pretty much looking for any excuse to give it a try.

Small world: As it turns out, according to our server, the owner previously owned the now-defunct Anderson Bar & Grill and opened this place because he was able to buy the building.

That would explain the cheesesticks being the same awesome recipe that ABG had (wrapped in egg roll wrappers and deep fried).

They were just as good as at ABG, not surprisingly, which is great news because that's one of the things I liked best about ABG.

I ordered the red beans and rice and my wife got the pull pork sandwich. Mine came with a large, tasty salad. Hers came with one side, and she got the cheesy grits.

I give the red beans and rice a B. The texture was good, I liked the two pieces of Andouille that came with it, and the portion was huge. My only objection is I wish it had a little more flavor, but I enjoyed it.

My wife's pulled pork, on the other hand, was fantastic. The meat was very tender and had a strong bacon flavor. I wonder if they finished it off on the grill with bacon grease, which is something I'm definitely trying next time we make pulled pork. I've never tasted pulled pork that tasted bacon-ny, but now I can't stop thinking about how to do it myself.  

Her grits were really good, too. I've had them in the south and I think southerners would've liked them.

Like ABG's, they've sort of made it into two restaurants: A quiet, dark section and a bright section with tee vees and a huge bar. We did the darker section.

It looks like many of the servers and bartenders are carryovers, which is fine. Our service was decent, although our server put the salad in front of my wife after ordering it and then when she checked on us a couple of minutes later joked about my wife starting it but I was finishing it.

With the cheesesticks, two entrees, a so-so iced tea and a water, our bill was $35.01. Prices are pretty normal and the portions are large.

I'll definitely be back and I might order what my wife got.

I really hope it works out in that graveyard of a location...

I've also heard from two people in the past few days that the owners of the property ABG was previously on did sell to someone else, so if true another place could pop up there relatively soon.
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/29 20:13:56 (permalink)
Bonk,
I wanted to reply earlier. When I was at Swampwater Bar and Grill, our server told us that the chef and owner came from Anderson Bar and Grill.
I really enjoyed the food. I hope the place finds a following, and thrives.
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/07/30 11:21:00 (permalink)
soozycue520

Bonk,
I wanted to reply earlier. When I was at Swampwater Bar and Grill, our server told us that the chef and owner came from Anderson Bar and Grill.
I really enjoyed the food. I hope the place finds a following, and thrives.

Ok, y'all have sold me. I switched jobs and work downtown now, and I pass by this place a few times a week. (Leave it to me to get a job downtown at the time the exit from 5th to 471 South closes for construction.) I have to try this place now.
soozycue520
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/11 17:14:12 (permalink)
I went back to Swampwater Grill (again!!) last night.  My friend and I were at a previous employer's bar on the Eastside, and the bartender told us he did not enjoy his meal at Swampwater.  So, we had to go back and try it, to see if it was as good as we had perceived it before.

It was FANTASTIC!!! I had the 12 oz. bone-in blackened pork chop with bleu cheese butter, with 2 sides for $14.99.  It was to die for, and fabulous for the price. We also got the smoked jalapeno poppers again. My only complaint was this time, the bacon was not quite done enough. My friend got the smoked 15 bean soup, again. She just cannot seem order anything else, because she claims it is the best bean soup she has ever had.

I have been there three times now, and have been very happy with all of my food.

http://swampwatergrill.com/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/13 23:46:21 (permalink)
Piada Web site says the first two Cincinnati locations are opening soon. One is on Paxton Ave. in Hyde Park and the other is in Mason on Mason-Montgomery Road.

Piada's the assembly-line, Chipotle-but-Italian place that is based in Columbus. I was very happy with my first visit near OSU, and hopefully the quality with translate here.

http://www.mypiada.com/
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/15 16:55:08 (permalink)
Bonk and Jack: I am sure you will be thrilled to hear we're getting another chain BBQ place in Cincinnati over on our side of town

http://www.dickeys.com/

Location is on SR125 just a stone's throw west of Bach Buxton

some feedback from the Dallas area:

MetroplexJim They serve "BBQ" at the same level as McDonald's serves "burgers".

brisketboy a can of Alpo beats Dickie's BBQ.

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/08/15 17:26:13
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/15 18:37:03 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Bonk and Jack: I am sure you will be thrilled to hear we're getting another chain BBQ place in Cincinnati over on our side of town

People on here sure do like to trash chains, and in hyperbolic fashion. I'll probably try it so I can form my own opinion. That's less than three minutes away from where I live now.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/15 18:45:16 (permalink)
Bonk - Going in with those opinions you wont be disappointed!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/15 19:04:18 (permalink)
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention this...two people with ABG connections said the folks at Arthur's in Hyde Park either bought or are renting the old ABG location and are expected to make it another Arthur's.

They make excellent burgers, so that would be very good news.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/15 19:11:40 (permalink)
CajunKing

Good point. I've seen ridiculous things written here about City BBQ and while it's admittedly not Franklin's or Arthur Bryant's, it's not bad.

jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 11:29:32 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

I'll stick with Just Q'in' and Eli's. But thanks. Really
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 11:36:54 (permalink)
Bonk

CajunKing

Good point. I've seen ridiculous things written here about City BBQ and while it's admittedly not Franklin's or Arthur Bryant's, it's not bad.

Well. It's better than Montgomery Inn.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 16:06:56 (permalink)
I'm not sure how to take that. I think Montgomery Inn is OK, but it seems like the majority opinion on here is it's terrible.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 16:46:30 (permalink)
Yeah, Jack hates Montgomery Inn, so he's saying it is better than terrible :-)

Like someone saying Andy Dalton is a better quarterback than Akili Smith :-)
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 17:18:24 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Yeah, Jack hates Montgomery Inn, so he's saying it is better than terrible :-)

Like someone saying Andy Dalton is a better quarterback than Akili Smith :-)

But even Akili Smith was better than MIBBQ 
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/16 21:39:30 (permalink)
City Barbecue is no Eli's or Velvet Smoke, but it's better than Walt's, Jim Dandy's, and Montgomery Inn combined.
jmckee
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/19 11:10:42 (permalink)
dlawson

City Barbecue is no Eli's or Velvet Smoke, but it's better than Walt's, Jim Dandy's, and Montgomery Inn combined.

Jim Dandy's has reeeeeaaaalllly gone downhill in my opinion.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 294
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/20 12:11:33 (permalink)
jmckee
Jim Dandy's has reeeeeaaaalllly gone downhill in my opinion.

We ate there last summer when I needed to run down to Micro center for something. Served by disinterested teens; the pulled pork had a ton of fat in it and was soaking in a broth before serving; the meat was so wet that the buns for the sandwiches disintegrated. The sides, like mac and cheese, were absolutely nothing special. Lastly, we both got the sh*ts from this meal later. Overall, the staff acted like they didn't give a crap to work there and the food quality was really poor. Even the salt and pepper shakers on the tables were crusted up and dirty.

The owner was quoted in a recent article as saying that if the quality is not good, he wants to hear about it. Well, when we were there there wasn't a grown up in sight. I don't get why these indy owners don't check social media more often to see what people really think. Overall, I thought it was gross.
City BBQ is much better IMO. 
post edited by donw9876 - 2013/08/20 12:28:01
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/29 16:42:12 (permalink)
Swampwater has coupons in Reach this month.

Was disappointed at the number of food demos at Jungle Jim's two weekends ago. For a while they were doing about 10, this last time there were only like five, and the first two of those were the individual shops out front, not actually JJ's.

Now I'm hearing the Arthur's in the ABG location probably isn't happening. Apparently they had initially agreed on a price and there was some confusion about it. The people that own the building wanted more and the Arthur's folks bailed.

Only heard that from one person though.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/08/29 22:48:52 (permalink)
It looks like The Iron Skillet in Newtown is going to be opening again soon - albeit not like you'd expect it to

Instead of reopening at the location they've always (as far as I remember) been, they're reopening in the location where many eateries have died - Indian Oven and Basil Thai to name a few

from their website

[class="title"]Press Release
August 9, 2013
Laszlo's Iron Skillet, formerly located at 6900 Valley Ave. in Newtown, is planning to open a temporary location on Main Street in Newtown. We are working with liquor control, as well as Newtown to proceed with the opening. We are planning the opening for October 1. Although, this is contingent upon Newtown permits and the liquor license transfer. We plan on being in that location for about a year. We hope the customers will come join us in this new location. It's less than a mile up the road from the original location. Ivy Hills Center (Old Thai Basil) 7393 Main Street Newtown, 45244 We will still have the same phone number 513-561-6776. This location will be less seating compared to the original location, but we feel that we will be able to work with this for now. We are so excited to get into this new location and be able to connect with all our customers soon again. Thanks for all your support and we hope to see you at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, Sept. 21 & 22. We will keep everyone updated on the progress on the reopening as well as the rebuild of the old location!

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/09/04 14:00:03 (permalink)
Just stopped Happy Days Cafe, and things ain't so happy anymore.

Dunno when it occurred, but they are out of business

A few weeks ago Polly put an entry on her food blog about a fairly new eatery in Price Hill called Happy Days Cafe, with a positive review on their burger. I made it over there today and I have to say I agree most heartily. This is a very good burger at a very good price - this burger and a bag of Husmans will run you a mere $4.15.

The skinny: 1/3 pound loosely packed hand pattied beef, griddled, on a VERY high quality toasted bun with your choice of up to 4 regular-type toppings, cheese and fancier toppings at additional cost. The owner/operator had no problem with me ordering it medium rare. The lettuce was crisp top quality leaf, the tomatoes were predictably wan and fairly flavorless as one would expect this time of year, but were generously portioned and fresh sliced, and the standard toppings include grilled onions (listed as caramel onions on the ordering pad). Adding cheese is 50 to 75 cents extra but gets you two slices of cheese instead of the usual single slice.

The burger was extremely juicy and flavorful with a perfect bun to meat/toppings ratio - really, REALLY good, and this will definitely be a regular stop for me now whenever I want a burger at lunch. No, it isn't Terry's Turf Club good, but it also isn't Terry's wait time or prices.

You can substitute any other side for the bag o' Husmans for 50 cents off the ala carte price of the side.

They have goetta and YES it is available to add to a burger.

Ghost peppers are listed as an available ingredient, but signing a waiver is required

Minor cautions/quibbles:

1) the onions they use are red onions, which are quite a bit stronger flavored than the usual yellow onions. This will be a plus for some (myself included) but a minus for others
2) a very heavy hand is used with the pepper in the seasoning of the beef patty. I like pepper, but this was a tad excessive. If you don't like pepper, ask for them to leave it off, and I am sure they will do so
3) I suspect a very high fat content beef is used, maybe a 70/30 or 75/25. Again, I like the flavor and juiciness this creates, but some like a leaner burger
4) Parking - dont think they have any. I parked on the outer edge of the Kroger lot right across the street.
<message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 11/7/12 2:40 PM>

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/09/06 14:13:44 (permalink)
Polly reports today that Andouille, a lousiana/cajun/creole eatery in New Richmond, has gone out of business

http://cincinnati.com/blo...s-andouille-is-closed/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/09/06 15:17:26 (permalink)
That's too bad. I liked their food, but even being east siders it was a little out of the way for us.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/09/09 09:16:05 (permalink)
For the benefit of soozycue, Bonk, jmckee...well, everyone, really.  LivingSocial (and Amazon Local via LivingSocial) are running a $30 food (and non-alcoholic drink) voucher for $15 to Swampwater Grill. It appears to be available to purchase for the next two weeks, or while supplies last. You can find it here:

https://www.livingsocial....d-non-alcoholic-drinks
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2013/09/09 11:23:15 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Polly reports today that Andouille, a lousiana/cajun/creole eatery in New Richmond, has gone out of business

http://cincinnati.com/blo...s-andouille-is-closed/
What a shame.  At least New Orleans To Go lives on with their food truck and Blue Ash location.
New Orleans To Go - Blue Ash - Cincinnati | Urbanspoon
New Orleans To Go Poboys
Page: << < ..101102103104105.. > >> Showing page 103 of 110
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1