The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 108, messages 301 to 330 of 3222
Suburban Dad

• Total Posts: 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/23/06 1:09 PM (permalink)
Big Top restaurant has closed as of early spring. Guenther's is average at best and not worth the drive. City BBQ is outstanding. Pitrelli's is nice and I believe you can buy their sauce(s) at Kroger. Jet's pizza which is a regional chain opened in Mason recently and was disappointing. Deep dish pie was veerrryyy greasy and chewy. Cheese didn't want to stay on crust. Wasn't impressed with hand tossed pizzas either. If your going to get chain pizza, I still feel Papa John's is the way to go.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/23/06 1:34 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums, Suburban Dad!

Did not know (obviously) about Big Top closing - that's a real shame

Are you located in the northern reaches of Cincy?

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/23/06 3:35 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll be hitting City BBQ for lunch.

Suburban Dad

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/23/06 10:09 PM (permalink)
        TJ..yes Deerfield Township/Mason area...unfortunately not alot of roadfood stops up here. Chains are prevalent. Corky's pizza up by Kings Island used to be really good, but haven't been there in over 18mos. A good breakfast place further north in a small town Red Lion is Mom's and is a must. Only negative is the heavy smoke for those who are non-smokers.

jjjrfoodie

• Total Posts: 422
          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 08/24/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
          If you want to drive a little, try the Best Cafe in Lebanon. It's right around the corner from the Golden lamb.

Best Cafe
          900 Clover Ln , Lebanon, OH
          Phone - (513) 932-4400

I have not been there for a while, so call ahead to make sure they are still there. Best Chicken pot pie and open faced roastbeef sandwich lunches I have had in a long time.

Cozy mom and pop place serving yummy comfort food.

Alco251

• Total Posts: 74
            RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 08/24/06 8:21 PM (permalink)
            I really like MV Pizza at 3187 Western Row Rd. (513-459-7799) in the strip mall just east of the Kings Island Drive exit. Good New York style pizza in an owner-run operation.

Robin Hood

• Total Posts: 101
              RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 08/25/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
              I am dying for some really good Chinese in Northern Kentucky or very close to downtown Cincinnati. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. I prefer Szechaun and Hunanese, but will take Cantonese.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 08/25/06 4:18 PM (permalink)
                Sandy and Arianej seem to be far better clued in than I on all the ethnic choices in the area...ladies?

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
                  RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 08/25/06 7:00 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Robin Hood

I am dying for some really good Chinese in Northern Kentucky or very close to downtown Cincinnati. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. I prefer Szechaun and Hunanese, but will take Cantonese.

Hello, Robin -

I'd recommend The Cathay Kitchen in Florence, KY which has Szechuan dishes and Hong Kong style noodle dishes. It's on Connector Drive in Florence. The owner has apparently opened another restaurant, The Hong Kong Cafe, in Richwood, KY. Haven't been to that one yet but it looks interesting. The link below brings up a brief version of the Cathay Kitchen menu. You can also click on the Hong Kong Cafe's menu from this link.

http://www.hongkongcafe.us/cathaykitchen.htm

I don't know if it's open yet but Pacific Moon is slated to open at Newport on the Levee. It's a Pan-Asian place that has a very good reputation. We ate at their original location many years ago and it was excellent but it was too long ago to say if that impression is still valid.

Some folks like the Oriental Wok on Buttermilk Pike in Ft. Mitchell. I've eaten there several times because it was handy. It's nothing special in my opinion but way better than any of the buffet or storefront carry-out places around town.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                    RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 08/26/06 6:29 PM (permalink)

Hehe... appreciate the vote of confidence, TJ, but I'm not very familiar with the downtown or N. KY area, sorry to say!
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Robin Hood

You looking for some a cut above the usual take-out, or someplace fancier? Default place used to be Uncle Yip's in Fairfield, which is too far north for your purposes, unfortunately. Also, I haven't been there in ages, so I have no idea what the quality is like nowadays.

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 08/28/06 9:17 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks for the recommendations! Sandy, I saw Cathay on my way to a dinner party last night, and I wondered about it. I will try it soon. The place on Buttermilk is very close to my office, so I can try it on my lunch hour.

I was wondering about Pacific Moon. Does anyone know when this place is going to open?

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 08/28/06 11:44 AM (permalink)
                        This site could use some of the valuable input from the Cincinnati folks that post here.

www.cincinnatihotbytes.com

It is the sister site of the one for Louisville rub by Robin Garr.

BTW, I am not Mr. Garr. Just a coincidence that my screen name is same as his first name.

startrooper00

• Total Posts: 110
                          RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 08/28/06 3:03 PM (permalink)
                          Ok...need some help...I will be staying at the Comfort Inn on the River in Newport, KY>....I want to have a nice dinner and some drinks and I will need to be within walking distance of the hotel. Any ideas on what is good/great in that area?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 08/28/06 3:50 PM (permalink)
                            Startrooper: Unfortunately, I dont like anything within that short a distance...most of which is Newport on the Levee....and enough said about that.....

Now, if you're willing to pay for a very short cab ride

York Street Cafe
                            http://www.citybeat.com/2005-10-26/diner.shtml

Pompilios
                            http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/071400_pompilios.html

Washington Platform
                            http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/013004_wplatform.html

Riverside Korean
                            http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/073004_riversidekorean_yum.html

and that old Cincinnati favorite, famous for ribs that are good but are not BBQ....just across the river and in view of your hotel

Montgomery Inn
                            http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/boathouse.html

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 08/28/06 3:53 PM (permalink)
                              Cafe Istanbul is good and not too far from where you are staying. It is located in the Newport on the Levee mall.

BillyZoom

• Total Posts: 24
                                RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 08/29/06 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:

Startrooper: Unfortunately, I dont like anything within that short a distance...most of which is Newport on the Levee....and enough said about that.....

Now, if you're willing to pay for a very short cab ride or take a nice LONG walk......

York Street Cafe

Pompilios

Washington Platform

Riverside Korean
                                http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/073004_riversidekorean_yum.html

and that old Cincinnati favorite, famous for ribs that are good but are not BBQ....just across the river and in view of your hotel

Montgomery Inn

Yes, we heard you the first 500 times. Nevertheless there are several perfectly good restaurants at Newport on the Levee. Besides which, you didn't even answer his question.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 08/29/06 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                  Actually, I did answer his question.

You on the other hand contributed an angry swipe at me and a vague generalization about the area - nothing helpful to the person posting the question.

You might want to try your hand at constructive suggestions.....that is in no small part what these web forums are all about.

As an aside, it seems odd to me to see a member with 3 posts to his (or her) credit and a membership barely a month old speak in terms of "we" as if speaking for the entire roadfood community. I can't say I can ever claim to have had that broad a backing myself, but hey, more power to ya.

startrooper00

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Tue, 08/29/06 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                    Thanks, TJ...I think I am going to take the York Street Cafe...However, a while back I remember a restraunt that sat on the street level below Embassy Suites in Covington... I can't remember the name of it...but I was very impressed by it. Any thoughts?

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                      Hmm, I know Zebo's Bistro is in that building, but I don't know what else is

Robin Hood

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 9:08 AM (permalink)
                                        Zebo's is in the Marriott in Covington.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                          Sorry.

Perhaps the Embassy Grille?

http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/photo_gallery.jhtml;jsessionid=032CHW1JVS15SCSGBIU2VCQKIYFC3UUC?ctyhocn=CVGCVES&category=3&photo=0

(I don't spend any time in any hotels locally, having a home here and all, sorry)

startrooper00

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                            I found it....Behle Street Cafe... I think I may make the walk to there to eat!!!! Thanks for all the information.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                              RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by BillyZoom

quote:

quote:

Now, if you're willing to pay for a very short cab ride or take a nice LONG walk......

York Street Cafe

Pompilios

Washington Platform

Riverside Korean

Montgomery Inn

Yes, we heard you the first 500 times. Nevertheless there are several perfectly good restaurants at Newport on the Levee. Besides which, you didn't even answer his question.

Hey Billy. This is a friendly civil board.

In other words, as my mother used to say, maybe you can't help being unpleasant, but you could stay home and spare the rest of us.

jmckee

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                                This is my 500th post, by the way. I am now nearly 20% of the man TJ Jackson is.

I stopped last week at the former Bounty Seafood II on Salem in Mt. Washington, now Keegans Seafood, and noticed that they've opened a little cafe in the building next door, open for breakfast and lunch.

If the shrimp I bought for my son's birthday was any indication, I'd say this is one to pass on. I bought jumbo shrimp that was supposed to be already steamed for his shrimp cocktail, and when I served it, it was only partially cooked. Now, I like sushi; but not when what I paid an exorbitant price (even in Ohio) for was supposed to becooked shrimp. I had to cook it again until it was no longer translucent, floppy, and raw.

My wife bounced it off of her parents later in the week. They live closer to the place than we do, and they said they've tried Keegans a couple of times and were unimpressed by the quality, the service, and the extreme high prices -- much higher than were Bounty's prices, by my recollection.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Wed, 08/30/06 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                                  Jim: good to see you on here, and congrats on the 500th post.

Did you ever eat at Hamburger Heaven? This was supposedly the original restaurant owned by the folks who own Gold Star...see link below...right here in Mt Washington....it became the Gold Star commissary - yes, the one right there in Mt Washington that "perfumed" the daily morning drive down Beechmont hill.

The building has been torn down in the past year, but I was curious if you ever ate at the restaurant where Gold Star was started......

http://www.goldstarchili.com/about/index.php

jmckee

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Thu, 08/31/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

Jim: good to see you on here, and cograts on the 500th post.

Did you ever eat at Hamburger Heaven? This was supposedly the original restaurant owned by the folks who own Gold Star...see link below...right here in Mt Washington....it became the Gold Star commissary - yes, the one right there in Mt Washington that "perfumed" the daily morning drive down Beechmont hill.

The building has been torn down in the past year, but I was curious if you ever ate at the restaurant where Gold Star was started......

http://www.goldstarchili.com/about/index.php

I seem to remember Hamburger Heaven from when we moved into the area when I was seven, back in 19(mumblemumblemumble). . . before it became Gold Star....

I drove up The Hill and through Mt. Washington a week or two ago and scoped out the changes. It's funny how that building is gone and a lot of others have been built further back from Beechmont. Until you get to Corbly, in which case The Wall (Kroger) looms over everything.

TJ Jackson

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/8/06 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      Here's the Enquirer review of the new churuscaria opened in place of Copeland's in Fields-Ertel
                                                      http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20060908/ENT01/609080307/

Suburban Dad

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Fri, 09/8/06 5:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        Just had Amor de Brazil for lunch today. The meats are outstanding, especially the Brazilian Steak mentioned in the review. Salad bar is good, not great, with more exotic choices. Sides were good but small. Could have used more of the bananas YUM! Unless you are a BIG EATER or you just like to sample alot of different items, I would say this place is overpriced for dinner. Would choose instead to go for lunch and make that my big meal of the day at half the price. Also, would recommend not just getting the salad bar at $15. If you are a vegetarian, there must be better places with better value.

TJ Jackson

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Sat, 09/9/06 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          great report, SD

My brother is trying to find a roving bbq seller who goes by the name "Big Bobs BBQ".....says it is the best he has ever had.

Has anyone come across this particular business in the Cincnnati area? I googled, I checked the online yellow pages, no luck

tpd

RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) Mon, 09/11/06 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            re: Amor de Brazil

$41 plus drinks, tax and tip? Anybody think they may have to adjust pricing once the novelty wares off? After a quick Google search it looks like this is on the high end for this style of place everywhere but NYC. I'm not sure the tables will be turning on weeknights.

I may be biased though... Another board I read that's based in New Orleans generally condemns all things Copeland.

Tom

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 108, messages 301 to 330 of 3222

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com