AnsweredHot!WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat)

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 109
Author
ganah halal foods
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/24 17:31:11 (permalink)
who go to try our foods tooday
ganah halal foods
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/24 17:34:20 (permalink)
im waiting for reply
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/25 11:54:10 (permalink)
I was disappointed at the Cadillac Ranch, yes it may have been opening week jitters.

I had a steak dusted, medium rare. It was not dusted and is was more med well than rare.

The service was slow, but the place was packed we did get some appetizer coupons for our wait.

The atmosphere was a little overwhelming (opening week hype) I guess I am more of the quiet dining place now, There is no way you could get me to ride the bull though! OH GAWD I AM GETTING OLDER!!
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/25 21:23:09 (permalink)
I went to Cadillac Ranch last night, and disappointed is an understatement. My opinion is they rushed to open the place, and are not near ready.

At @ 7:30 pm, the place wasn't crowded, but it was Sunday. Our server, who could barely speak English, gave us a lunch menu. We were told that they were only serving the lunch menu, "because they just opened".

One friend ordered a White Zin and one a dirty martini. The bartender came out to ask who ordered a "Winferder" and what was it. Then they sent out the martini, not dirty and no olives. After sending it back, we were informed that they "ran out of olives".

I was disappointed with the lunch menu. For those that work downtown, lunch here is a little pricey. I was looking for more of a meal, but all they offered on the lunch menu was appetizers, sandwiches, a caesar salad and soup.

My friends caesar{no meat} was $7.75, and she got a cup of soup that was definitely pre-packaged. Another friend was going to order the ribs, but they were $10.75 for a half rack with NO SIDE!! So she settled on a pulled pork sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries, which she liked, but the fries were bland {$9.75, plus a $1.00 extra for the sweet potato fries}.

The biggest disappointment was my burger. $9.50, $0.50 extra for cheese, and $1.00 to upgrade to onion rings. The burger was preformed. I ordered it medium rare, and it was served well done and dry. You can get the same burger {maybe better} at Rockin'Robin's on Sunday Night, with any toppings you wish, for $5.00, but, no, I paid $11.50 for the experience.

We could have complained, but our server really couldn't understand anyway, and most of the staff looked completely disinterested, so we decided to just chalk it up to a bad first impression for them. I don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon.

If anyone has a better experience after they "get their bearings", let us know!!

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/26 10:19:53 (permalink)
Couple of quick notes

Dink's - It's been a while since I have been in there, but I was in the other day and had the immensely improved cheesesteak. The roll, meat quality, and meat quantity were much improved from when I tried it soon after Dink's opened, a year or more ago. Ken (the ever-present and very friendly owner) says he will be adding wiz as a free cheesesteak option fairly soon. The homewrecker (the half pound hot dog) is off the menu because it was not selling quickly enough to keep the product quality high. He also told me that he is planning on going a bit more upscale with his menu, adding more specialty burgers and dogs, and raising prices overall. He expects to implement these changes in the coming weeks, and so we should see a notably different menu by the end of July, I'd guess.

Sonic - I've been dreaming about the burger I had there last week, that's how good it was. Picked the kids up after work at their gramma's and drove all the way from Newport to Hamilton, just for a burger. The kids loved it. The wife (hearing about this later) shook her head sadly at the lengths I will go for a good meal. My cheeseburger was not quite as good as the previous one, but it was still great. Three things stood out again: top quality bakery bun well sized to the patties, very fresh toppings, and fresh, juicy meat. Only one minus, and minor: the grilled onions were unpleasantly salty - I will get raw onion next time. I'm going to have to make the trip to Mainville (the other 'local' Sonic location) to see if the food quality is as good there.
westsider12
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/26 11:16:17 (permalink)
I've been to Dink's twice in the last few weeks and the service quality has improved dramatically. Anecdotally, it also seems to be a little more crowded each time I go in, which I like as long as the service is quick. And the Chicago dog is very good to boot...
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Couple of quick notes

Dink's - It's been a while since I have been in there, but I was in the other day and had the immensely improved cheesesteak. The roll, meat quality, and meat quantity were much improved from when I tried it soon after Dink's opened, a year or more ago. Ken says he will be adding wiz as a free cheesesteak option fairly soon. The homewrecker (the half pound hot dog) is off the menu because it was not selling quickly enough to keep the product quality high. He also told me that he is planning on going a bit more upscale with his menu, adding more specialty burgers and dogs, and raising prices overall. He expects to implement these changes in the coming weeks, and so we should see a notably different menu by the end of July, I'd guess.

Sonic - I've been dreaming about the burger I had there last week, that's how good it was. Picked the kids up after work at their gramma's and drove all the way from Newport to Hamilton, just for a burger. The kids loved it. The wife (hearing about this later) shook her head sadly at the lengths I will go for a good meal. My cheeseburger was not quite as good as the previous one, but it was still great. Three things stood out again: top quality bakery bun well sized to the patties, very fresh toppings, and fresh, juicy meat. Only one minus, and minor: the grilled onions were unpleasantly salty - I will get raw onion next time. I'm going to have to make the trip to Mainville (the other 'local' Sonic location) to see if the food quality is as good there.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/26 11:37:26 (permalink)
Soozy

We must have gotten the same wait person. I have had better English speaking and understanding people in our local Chinese place.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/26 14:02:28 (permalink)
Just stopped in at Tom's Pot Pies again, and they are now offerring (not sure if this is daily, experimental, or a special) the broccoli alfredo in the regular size.

Eating one now, and it's great :-)
UCmba97
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/28 11:45:50 (permalink)
Ah yes Millilos & Chesters. I can remember traveling back to Hamilton as a kid and my Dad taking us to those places because of his highschool memories. I guess they aren't on my list of must have's when I get back to Hamilton becuase no matter where I go you can find really impressive local pizza joints. But the Richard's steak sandwich is an original, I've never found anything like it anywhere else. I have some shipped at christmas time.

As for Sonic, they are a staple here in SC (and the south in general). I recall their being a Sonic in Middletown. And yes the burger is great for a chain. The Sonic in my town (Hartsville SC) just rebuilt on the same site they had been on for many years, doubling the parking spaces and adding a drive thru. Now it has sand volleyball, big playground and batting cages too. Ours has bike night and classic car night....you just cruise on in, and hang out while "snacking" most the evening. I enjoy trips to Sonic!

I miss Thai food...can't get it locally here. Cinti had so many good places to get it (Clifton, Mt Adams, etc). I recommend the Thai Cafe. Very good, as I was back there in Nov 2006 while at a conference at UC. Then walked down to Greaters for a chip wheelie.

OK now i'm hungry!

Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/28 20:42:45 (permalink)
While this is a chain, I only know of one in the area. The A&W burger in the Tower Place food court is better than Sonic or Culvers in my humble opinion. Just made the trip downtown recently to have a double bacon cheeseburger and a papa burger along with a root beer freeze. If it wasn't for the parking situation, would make this more of a regular stop.

Both Sonic and Culvers are good, just really enjoyed the A&W burger.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/28 22:48:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Suburban Dad

While this is a chain, I only know of one in the area.

There is also one in Harrison. The one in Northgate Mall has apparently closed, but I haven't been in that mall in years. As far as fast food burgers go, I have always enjoyed A&W, definitely moreso than Sonic. I have yet to go to Culver's.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/29 08:52:53 (permalink)
I work within a 3 minute walk of the downtown A&W, and while it is decently good, it is nowhere near Sonic's league, at least in my (very limited, and very recent) experience.

I'm not doubting your opinion, not for a moment - this is just the perfect example of different folks preferring different things....no problem whatsoever :-)

However, I too would go to the A&W before most of the other chain hamburger joints, if alone (kids always want the arches, go figure) and if all choices are equally available.....for me, Sonic would be first, then Culver's, then it's a tossup between Rally's (for the Buford only) and A&W. So top 3 or 4 for me.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/29 11:15:15 (permalink)
Noble Roman's returning to Cincinnati
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070627/BIZ01/306270032/
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/29 19:24:28 (permalink)
Never had Noble Roman's.

I almost drove off the road today on my way to work when I saw a Sonic's sign on Eastgate Blvd. Coming soon in front of the Best Buy.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/29 21:40:56 (permalink)
Have been to the Noble Roman's in both West Chester and Mason. Breadsticks are as good as I remember, but for someone who grew up with this and had a monster pizza, this pizza is not the same nor as good. While the pizza is ok, I have a feeling people will go for the value and not necessarily the great taste. Family pack is a large 1 topping pizza, two orders of breadsticks and a 2 liter of soda for $15.
Suburban Dad
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/30 18:14:06 (permalink)
Tried Cheezburger Cafe this afternoon with the family. This has taken the place of Ben and Jerry's on Montgomery road and is next door to Skip's Deli(Same owners) and across the parking lot from HotDoggin It. Wife and I had burger and fries, one child had chicken fingers other a hot dog. Kids meals come with fresh cut fries and a drink. All four of us splurged and had milk shakes, wife and kids had black rasberry chip while I had chocolate peanut butter. There a various burgers choices on the menu or you can build your own. The build your own you pick your choice of cheese(american, swiss, sharp, pepperjack, blue, others i think), choice of toppings (tomato, lettuce, pickles, relish, fried egg, raw onion, grilled onion, grilled mushrooms, etc) and finally your sauce (ketchup, mustard, mayo, chipotle mayo, guacamole, barbeque, tarter sauce, etc.) They didn't ask how we wanted our burgers cooked. When they came out I would say they were medium well. Just the way the wife likes it and little over cooked for me. Still, burger was tasty, but the bun was too big and flaky for the single burger that we had. The fries our fresh cut and come out pipin' hot. Very good similar to Penn Station. The milkshakes were a hit all around, even if a little pricey($3.99 adult think Steak n Shake is cheaper). Kids liked the chicken fingers and hot dog even though I thought the chicken fingers looked like the were of the frozen box variety. The build your burger was reasonably priced with 1/3 lb. singles costing $3.99 and a single order of fries at $1.99 was enough for the wife and I to split. Don't know if I would drive out of my way to go back as there are soooo many burger places around(Culvers, Steak n Shake, Red Robin, Sonic etc..), but I thought overall food quality was good and prices weren't too bad. Interested to hear other opinions if anyone else has given them a try.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/30 18:37:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

I almost drove off the road today on my way to work when I saw a Sonic's sign on Eastgate Blvd. Coming soon in front of the Best Buy.

OUT FREAKIN STANDING!!!!

Err, not the vehicular control issue, the new Sonic! Eastgate is almost in my back yard :-)
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/06/30 19:18:54 (permalink)
Speaking of burgers (and I can't recall if I have mentioned this before), has anyone else hit Bar Louie at Newport on the Levee for their $1.00 burger Wednesdays? My wife and I have taken advantage of this several times over the past few months. The burger special starts at 5:00 PM and lasts until the kitchen closes (which I believe is 1:45 AM).

The catch is that the $1.00 burger only includes lettuce, and all other toppings cost extra. Everything is between 25 and 50 cents, however, so it's quite easy to come in under $3.00 even after adding stuff like bacon, cheese, spicy olive mix, and chipolte mayo (which has become my default burger for $2.75). We typically add an order of tater tots for $1.99, which is large enough for both of us. I would estimate that the burgers are 1/3 pounders.

We are usually able, for better or for worse, to time dinner so that it coincides with happy hour (5:00 to 7:00 and 10:00 to close), which features all draught beers at $2.50. Our dinner this past week, which consisted of two burgers, two beers, and tater tots, was $14.00 even including tax (but not tip). I really enjoy the meal, despite the drawbacks that it is first and foremost a bar, which means it is typically on the louder side, and that it still allows smoking, being in Kentucky. I suppose the Levee location is also a drawback for some of us (TJ ).
jjjrfoodie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 422
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/01 20:11:53 (permalink)
I've always had great food at Bar Louie dating back to 2004 and it and Mitchell's are among the best at at least keeping an even keel on quality at NOTL/EDOTL.;)
For an evening out and good quality food, BL is fun and safe.
Burger Wednesdays sound fun, but I scoot over to Authur's for my burger fix when I'm not cooking them in the summer.

jjjrfoodie
NCSUBrew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/01 20:16:53 (permalink)
Hi all - I read up on stuff here often but just signed up today to specifically post re my experience at the much-acclaimed Cadillac Ranch:

My husband & I went on Saturday for lunch (~ 1 p.m. 6/30). There was a line to be seated, even though plenty of inside tables available. As we stood, there's a huge poster next to the main door/entrance outlining daily specials. Saturday's special was suppose to be 1/2 price appetizers noon - 5 p.m. When we asked our server, we were told that is only for people who are sitting on the patio. The poster/special board didn't say that; neither did the table card sitting on our INSIDE table. We asked to speak to the manager. Gordie came to our table but he was pretty short. His only explanation was that they PLAN to reprint the cards to clarify.

Hot dog = $8; Burger = $10; Chicken wrap $12; a little pricey for below-average bar food.

I live downtown & trust me, I WANT businesses to succeed. The only way this place will flourish with people like Gordie in charge is out of sheer desperation because there's no where else to simply grap a beer for a weekend lunch.

I can afford to pay full price for appetizers, but it's the principle. I doubt I'll go back based on the customer service & cluelessness of the management. They don't deserve my business.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/01 22:12:26 (permalink)
NCSU: Welcome out of the darkness where the lurkers lurk :-)

How long have you lived downtown, and what are your personal favorite places to grab a meal downtown and thereabouts?
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/02 08:24:45 (permalink)
I was at Cadillac for happy hour on Friday - sat on the patio for 15 minutes before someone even cleared our table off. Then waited another 15 minutes at the bar to get a beer (which was $2 for a bottle - not a bad deal). Overheard one of the patrons talking to a manager and he was saying that they still were working some kinks out of the system but they were working hard to get it right.

All this happened before the Reds crowd hit. I could only imagine people going to the game and getting there at 5:30 or 6 thinking they will make the game only to find the place packed with no service. I can't imagine it would be that hard to serve drinks during happy hour as most other places do it quite well but I've never run a restaurant. Seems like there is a lot of low hanging fruit that they can knock off to improve quality. The jury remains out....
quote:
Originally posted by NCSUBrew

Hi all - I read up on stuff here often but just signed up today to specifically post re my experience at the much-acclaimed Cadillac Ranch:

My husband & I went on Saturday for lunch (~ 1 p.m. 6/30). There was a line to be seated, even though plenty of inside tables available. As we stood, there's a huge poster next to the main door/entrance outlining daily specials. Saturday's special was suppose to be 1/2 price appetizers noon - 5 p.m. When we asked our server, we were told that is only for people who are sitting on the patio. The poster/special board didn't say that; neither did the table card sitting on our INSIDE table. We asked to speak to the manager. Gordie came to our table but he was pretty short. His only explanation was that they PLAN to reprint the cards to clarify.

Hot dog = $8; Burger = $10; Chicken wrap $12; a little pricey for below-average bar food.

I live downtown & trust me, I WANT businesses to succeed. The only way this place will flourish with people like Gordie in charge is out of sheer desperation because there's no where else to simply grap a beer for a weekend lunch.

I can afford to pay full price for appetizers, but it's the principle. I doubt I'll go back based on the customer service & cluelessness of the management. They don't deserve my business.
NCSUBrew
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/02 11:39:29 (permalink)
I've lived downtown since moving to Cincinnati 18 months ago - it's the only place I've lived in the "mid-west". We were only here (from NC - hence, the NCSU part) for an assignment for my husband's job & will be moving back to NC in September. I've enjoyed living downtown, but probably am ready to get back to what I've always known as "home".

I have a home office so I have been checking this board for interesting lunch sites & I have tried many thanks for the "reports" here. Unfortunately, weekends are when we WANT to go out & there's no easy place to grap just a sandwich. It's $$$$ or "closed on weekends". I don't have anything much new to add, but some of my favorites:

Lunch:
I love DINKS! Red Foxx on Friday for the fish. My dad ordered a burger there once & it was HUGE & he said it was good. Sports Page has a good chicken fried steak with veggies; homemade mac & cheese!
Sophia's is just ok, but I enjoy going there because the owner/son is so nice. He makes me special lunchtime sandwiches @ breakfast because I'm not a big egg fan. Actually, Rise & Shine does that, too . . . . I get the spicy fried rice with shrimp for breakfast there. I've been to Javier's twice and didn't think it was that good. Been to Mejana & Akash for lunch - but I'm not a fan of the buffet, so I need to try them both @ dinner & order off the menu. I think Gondola Pizza is good, but I know not everyone agrees.

Dinner:
We're so caught in the Sully's/Rockin Robin rut. I want to try Ko-Sho but haven't yet. We like Trattoria Roma, too.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/02 12:57:30 (permalink)
If you're from NC, there's a decent change you work for Duke Energy....is this so?
NCSUBrew
Junior Burger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/02 20:30:06 (permalink)
:) No; in fact, my husband is the one with the job assignment here & his company is in West Chester. Cincy is the largest city we've ever lived in (and I know it doesn't seem big to y'all, but compared to Raleigh, NC it is) so we decided that he would do the reverse commute & we'd experience downtown living (before we have kids, etc.). It's worked well!
westsider12
Cheeseburger
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/03 07:50:49 (permalink)
Another Enquirer article on some of the places to grab a dog in the city...I have got to make it out to Hot Doggin it soon...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070703/LIFE/707030302/1079
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1179
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/03 13:09:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by Bonk

OUT FREAKIN STANDING!!!!

Err, not the vehicular control issue, the new Sonic! Eastgate is almost in my back yard :-)

Tom, I've never had Sonic. Is it that good?

And Eastgate is where I live.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/03 13:36:15 (permalink)
Read back a page or so Mr McKee.....the burgers I had recently at the Hamilton location of Sonic were outstanding.....natually, I hope the Eastgate location is as good, although when in need of a burger in Eastgate, I'm usually heading to Roy's
tpd
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/03 17:14:58 (permalink)
Speaking of dogs and burgers, I stoped at Matteo's Char-Broil on RT 4 in Fairfield last week. They do Rochester, NY style dog's and Garbage Plates (called Sloppy Plates here) and burgers. I had two NY Red Dogs with Chili, Mustard and Onions. The dogs were split and grilled and the chili was really more of a sauce, similar in consistency to drained Cincy Chili. They were very good but next time I would ask for light mustard. The bottom of the bun on the second dog got a little soggy by the time I got to it but I did take-out so it was about 15-20 minutes later.

The menu says they do fresh hand-pattied burgers and make all soups and sides in house. I might give a burger a try later this week and report back. You burger heads might want to check it out too.

All in all it's a nice little mom & pop place.

http://matteoscharbroil.com/

They are half way between 275 and Jungle Jim's in a strip mall across from Taqueria Mercado.

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: WhereToEat: Cincinnati and N.Ky (open chat) 2007/07/03 18:12:03 (permalink)
I was just going through Cincinnati.com to find a place to have dinner tonight, and ran across the home page of the Napa Grille {in the Regency building on the corner of Dana and Madison Aves., formerly occupied by J's}. Apparently they are now closed and are not to kind to the Board of the Regency and it's occupants:

http://napagrille.com/

The Napa Grille has closed. It was a beautiful restaurant. The food was fabulous, the Staff courteous and prices more than reasonable. Thank you to so many of you that made all our efforts worthwhile..
Warning to restauranteurs and potential restaurant tennants.
The Regency restaurant site is poison. The Board of The Regency will tell you that the residents are "dying" for a restaurant. That may be half true. But, the residents will not support your restaurant. Worse yet, they will kill it! They will tell you that The Napa Grille was not a "good restaurant", look at our website and judge for yourself. The Napa Grille was an excellent restaurant.

No matter what you offer, no matter how high the quality, no matter how resonable the prices, the residents will do nothing but complain. Often loudly and in front of your other Guests. They will run off your best servers with their lousy tipping. They will consistently send back half eaten plates of perfectly prepared entrees in the hopes that you will "comp" their dinners. Worst of all some will demand a white server as opposed to an equally well trained server of aftican-american or oriental heritage.

Make no mistake there are some wonderful people in the building. But they are vastly out numbered by the monsters that live there as well. Consider yourself warned!

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 109
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1